• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hey guys,

Anyone knows if previous problem were noted when:

- Someone sends DSP-122 and 230 to KCC and cashier check to DOS
- He leaves to his country for one week or two
- He tries to enter back the US on F1 visa

Note that i still have not filed I-485 but i am still anxious about possible problems when returning back to the US on my F1. any help?

reptile

reptile,
so long as your f1 is still valid and you have not submitted your i485 you should be able to travel. but once you submit your aos application you are advised not to travel, unless you apply for advanced parole. uscis will deem you to have abandoned your aos application if you leave the country while your application is in process.

hope that helps.

Hi guys,

I just called my home country to ask about my high school diploma, and they cannot find it.
However, I have my Bachelor diploma with me, and I am pursuing a Master's Degree right now.
Would it be okay if I don't have the High School Diploma?
Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

keepkeep

I was in the same situation, but my High School diploma was found in my University back home.

I completely forgot that once you get accepted in the university, they take your high school paper work.

Maybe its the same in your university.

Thank you leongsce.

@ keepkeep and lisa6,

I had a free consultation with an immigration lawyer a while ago and asked him the following question: "Is the requirement of submitting a High School certificate rigid, or i can submit instead a Bachelor's degree or a grad school enrollment certificate?" He answered: "I would submit a university degree, it should be fine."

I think the only way to know for sure is to ask USCIS.

reptile

May 06, 2010: NL1 received from KCC (sent on April 28 2010).
May 14, 2010: DS-230, DSP-122, Barcode and Two Photos sent to KCC.
May 14, 2010: Postal Money Order (375$) + SASE + Information sheet sent to DOS.

what is mentioned it DV instruction is AT LEAST a high school diploma. when you have a BS or MS then of course you have a diploma! Don't worry about it.

Thank you leongsce.

@ keepkeep and lisa6,

I had a free consultation with an immigration lawyer a while ago and asked him the following question: "Is the requirement of submitting a High School certificate rigid, or i can submit instead a Bachelor's degree or a grad school enrollment certificate?" He answered: "I would submit a university degree, it should be fine."

I think the only way to know for sure is to ask USCIS.

reptile

May 06, 2010: NL1 received from KCC (sent on April 28 2010).
May 14, 2010: DS-230, DSP-122, Barcode and Two Photos sent to KCC.
May 14, 2010: Postal Money Order (375$) + SASE + Information sheet sent to DOS.

If I'm sending a postal money order for $375 to DOS is it payment to ""Department of State" or "State Department" ?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Thank you for the all informative messages. I've learned a lot. However, I have a question.

I'm in the United States with a J1 visa. I know i have to apply for a waiver first, and I'll start this process asap. This is the most important issue but my question is different.

My case number is EU20xxx. I'd like to go for AOS option.

1. Is it a good idea? Because in last year, 20xxx was current in April.
2. My current J1 visa expires at the end of May. What will I do after my J1 visa expires during this process?
3. I'd like to complete my education in December 2010. So my visa might expire sooner than May. Can I stay in the united states after my visa expire? Because I'm just waiting for my case number to be current.

I really appreciate that if you response. Thank you in advance.

I was in the same situation, but my High School diploma was found in my University back home.

I completely forgot that once you get accepted in the university, they take your high school paper work.

Maybe its the same in your university.

My university indeed took my diploma, but it was just the certified one, not the original.
I think my original one got lost in my home or something >.<
I'm still looking for it though, but just in case, I want to know what my chances are..
Thanks.

keepkeep

what is mentioned it DV instruction is AT LEAST a high school diploma. when you have a BS or MS then of course you have a diploma! Don't worry about it.

Thanks khayat,

I just want to be thorough, because you never know what will happen in that interview..
I read in one of the thread, someone bring all the documents, but the officer only looked at the HS diploma..So I'm a little bit worried.

keepkeep

Does anybody know if a police clearance certificate from your home country is required for any part of the process including interview?

Hi i got my 1st NL on May 12th, and i totally agree with you because you are right and there is nothing mentioned on the web site about filing of DSP -122. What did you do? did you send the DSP-122 to KCC? And i have a question about the form DSP-122 , in question 6, i am confused which box i should check because i am going to college right now here in Virginia and i am not sure if i have to just check the High School Diploma or the College, No degree box...please help me...and should I right the name of my middle school also?since my high school and middle school are different..and should i mention my university there because..i am going college and haven't graduated. Please reply

Hi i got my 1st NL on May 12th, and i totally agree with you because you are right and there is nothing mentioned on the web site about filing of DSP -122. What did you do? did you send the DSP-122 to KCC? And i have a question about the form DSP-122 , in question 6, i am confused which box i should check because i am going to college right now here in Virginia and i am not sure if i have to just check the High School Diploma or the College, No degree box...please help me...and should I right the name of my middle school also?since my high school and middle school are different..and should i mention my university there because..i am going college and haven't graduated. Please reply

What qualification do you have at the moment? Use that even if you are currently pursuing a degree program. If there is space for you, you can write both your primary and middle schools over there. There is no instruction about which level to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
What qualification do you have at the moment? Use that even if you are currently pursuing a degree program. If there is space for you, you can write both your primary and middle schools over there. There is no instruction about which level to start.

hey ammeck09,
do you know anything about police certificate? do i have to get the certificate from my home country? i have been here for 5 yrs and i heard they do fingerprinting themselves and check with FBI.
Thanks

F1 + opt

Hello fellow DV-2011 AOS winners,

I received my NL1 2 weeks ago :) and am planning to do an AOS. Currently I am on an F-1 and using the OPT extension (already graduated and OPT extends through till May 2011).

Had a quick question about the AOS - I will likely receive a job offer next week; can an employer file an H-1B for me after I have applied for the AOS? The H-1B will come through in September, as you all know. The way I see it, I have an F-1, I am applying for AOS, and an employer also applying for an H-1 at the same time makes for a mess.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

5/01/2010 NL1 2011AS00015XXX Received

hey ammeck09,
do you know anything about police certificate? do i have to get the certificate from my home country? i have been here for 5 yrs and i heard they do fingerprinting themselves and check with FBI.
Thanks

Yes, you need to get a police certificate from all countries that you have spent 6 months or more since you attain the age of 16.

Yes, you need to get a police certificate from all countries that you have spent 6 months or more since you attain the age of 16.

thanks, during which part do i need that, I am doing AOS. and you know it takes a while to get the clearance certificate. i know you need it for visa interview but when do you need it when you are adjusting status?
thanks again ammeck09

I don't think it is a major problem. Since H-1 is a dual intent visa, so you can have a AOS pending and still change to an H-1 status as it does not require a non-immigrant intent (like F / J visa). Ensure that the lawyer who files your application knows that you will be filing lottery based AOS since it might have to indicated on the I129 form when your H-1 is filed (not sure about it).

Most likely your number will be current after you have filed the H-1 application, so you would not be filing I485 until after your H-1 is applied (possibly approved), so I don't think it will matter anyway.

Hello fellow DV-2011 AOS winners,

I received my NL1 2 weeks ago :) and am planning to do an AOS. Currently I am on an F-1 and using the OPT extension (already graduated and OPT extends through till May 2011).

Had a quick question about the AOS - I will likely receive a job offer next week; can an employer file an H-1B for me after I have applied for the AOS? The H-1B will come through in September, as you all know. The way I see it, I have an F-1, I am applying for AOS, and an employer also applying for an H-1 at the same time makes for a mess.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

5/01/2010 NL1 2011AS00015XXX Received

DV - F1 Dilemma

Hi Guys,

I received my NL from KCC a little more than a week ago. I am a grad student in F1 status but my visa has expired. I was planning on traveling home this summer and applying for a new F1 visa. Now, I am not sure if this is a safe option. In particular, I have the following questions:

1. If I travel home this summer, can I apply for a F1 visa after I have sent back the DSP-122 to KCC? This webpage (travel*state*gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342*html, replace * with .) seems to suggest that both DSP-122 and DS-230 fall under immigrant visa application. Can my F1 visa be denied if I have submitted one of these forms?
2. If DSP-122 and DS-230 show intent to immigrate, is it better for me to travel home and apply for the F1 first, and then only submit these forms to KCC? In this case, should I be worried about the timeline, i.e. that I will be submitting these forms much later than other DV 2011 recipients?
3. Would it be better if I did not travel outside the US until the DV is resolved? But this would mean if I don't get the GC, I won't be eligible to renew my F1, right?

I would appreciate any thoughts and experiences you might have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it is a major problem. Since H-1 is a dual intent visa, so you can have a AOS pending and still change to an H-1 status as it does not require a non-immigrant intent (like F / J visa). Ensure that the lawyer who files your application knows that you will be filing lottery based AOS since it might have to indicated on the I129 form when your H-1 is filed (not sure about it).

Most likely your number will be current after you have filed the H-1 application, so you would not be filing I485 until after your H-1 is applied (possibly approved), so I don't think it will matter anyway.

Thanks nybound!