• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Dear khayat, and to all

Khayat, thank you to comfort me, and thanks for your all because this forum is really helpful.
I decided to choose BCIS. Below is my summary.

Khayat, my others concerns are what is "that deadline" and "I don't think your luck changes either way both ways have the same chance" that you mentioned above.

Best wishes,

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my understanding.

Once you file I-485 with USCIS, you are no longer in F status. Your status changes to AOS applicant until the time your application is processed. If you need to travel while your I485 application is pending, you need an Approved Advance Parole (I-131) to return to the US. If you leave the country without a valid AP, you are considered to have abandoned your 485 application.

Given that your F status is not valid after you file 485 application, I would not think you can automatically return to F status, in case your 485 is rejected. I think you will have to leave US and re-apply for F-1 at the US consulate.

However, given that your number is relatively good for AS (In last 2-3 years, this number became current between Nov - Feb), you have a fairly good chance with AOS. As long as you have enough Funds/Affidavit of Support/Job letter and no brushes with the law, it should be a straightforward thing.

Even if you do CP, once the US consulate takes your passport for the interview for immigrant visa, they will cancel the F-1 visa prior to the interview and in the event you are rejected for the immigrant visa after the interview, you have to re-apply for F-1.

The whole US immigration works on the basis of intent (either Immigrant or Non-Immigrant). So once you file any Immigrant Intent application (either I485 for AOS or DS230 for CP), your Non-Immigrant visa is no longer good.

Do we need to submit affidavit of support? Where do you read that we need to submit it? Can you please give me the link? When I read the USCIS website, I did not read that we need to submit Affidavit of Support. Plus, who is gonna fill out the affidavit of support? My parents in my home country?

Do they also expect us to have a lot of money? Because I am still a student, although currently I have a job, but it's an on-campus job since F-1 visa holder cannot work off-campus.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

keepkeep

Do we need to submit affidavit of support? Where do you read that we need to submit it? Can you please give me the link? When I read the USCIS website, I did not read that we need to submit Affidavit of Support. Plus, who is gonna fill out the affidavit of support? My parents in my home country?

Do they also expect us to have a lot of money? Because I am still a student, although currently I have a job, but it's an on-campus job since F-1 visa holder cannot work off-campus.

keepkeep

The DV 2011 instructions clearly state - "If you are selected to apply for a DV, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) from a relative or friend residing in the United States, and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the United States."

I was just referring to that. Check the 2010 AOS thread to see if anyone was asked for specific documents.

Good luck.

hi nybound and everyone,

i would like to ask for your opinion. Currently, I am in Malaysia and I will be going to US somewhere in mid-August 2010 under the F-1 visa (Fall 2010 intake). I applied for DV2011 but have not receive any NL, i just want to be prepared now, in case I receive the NL.

okay, assuming the NL pop one day in my house somewhere may-july, and i am leaving to US in august, CONFIRM. i already got my flight, I-20, accommodations and going to college in NYC. what am i suppose to do?

option A: can i do an adjustment of status? do i fill out the DS-122 and indicate BCIS + 2 photo etc and send it back to KCC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, which will be around july(or once i get the NL)? this means that i will be mailing it from Malaysia, but i wish to do AOS. if i send back the DS-122, do they cancel my F-1 visa immediately? this means i would not be able to fly to US in august.

option B: i hold on to the NL, fill out the DS-122 etc, fly to US in mid-august with my F-1 visa, then only i mail the documents from US to KCC? will that be too late? im just afraid im risking my chances if i mail it back to them after about 1-2 months.

im transferring to US to study for about 2 years to get my degree and i wont be flying back to malaysia due to the expensive flight ticket! so, im just hoping to get the NL and do the AOS.

im just afraid that they will cancel my F-1 visa after i send in the DS-122. or does that only happen after we fill in the I-485? also, when im filling the DS-122, i will be putting the current address as the address i will be living in the US.

thats all for now, sorry for being long-winded :S im just worried. THANK YOU EVERYONE :D

hi nybound and everyone,

i would like to ask for your opinion. Currently, I am in Malaysia and I will be going to US somewhere in mid-August 2010 under the F-1 visa (Fall 2010 intake). I applied for DV2011 but have not receive any NL, i just want to be prepared now, in case I receive the NL.

okay, assuming the NL pop one day in my house somewhere may-july, and i am leaving to US in august, CONFIRM. i already got my flight, I-20, accommodations and going to college in NYC. what am i suppose to do?

option A: can i do an adjustment of status? do i fill out the DS-122 and indicate BCIS + 2 photo etc and send it back to KCC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, which will be around july(or once i get the NL)? this means that i will be mailing it from Malaysia, but i wish to do AOS. if i send back the DS-122, do they cancel my F-1 visa immediately? this means i would not be able to fly to US in august.

option B: i hold on to the NL, fill out the DS-122 etc, fly to US in mid-august with my F-1 visa, then only i mail the documents from US to KCC? will that be too late? im just afraid im risking my chances if i mail it back to them after about 1-2 months.

im transferring to US to study for about 2 years to get my degree and i wont be flying back to malaysia due to the expensive flight ticket! so, im just hoping to get the NL and do the AOS.

im just afraid that they will cancel my F-1 visa after i send in the DS-122. or does that only happen after we fill in the I-485? also, when im filling the DS-122, i will be putting the current address as the address i will be living in the US.

thats all for now, sorry for being long-winded :S im just worried. THANK YOU EVERYONE :D

I would do Option B if I were you. It's okay if you mail the DSP-122 form to KCC in Mid-August. Many people have sent it too that late, and were fine. USCIS recognizes that you're immigrant-intent once you fill out the I-485 form, not the DSP-122. The whole transition from F-1 to Permanent resident through AOS will be smooth and will not disrupt your studies as long as your profile is clean.

As long as you are legally in the states when you submit your AOS you are good. Since they have to call all of the cases before deadline of Sep 2011 and you will be studying by then, You will be fine. And I meant your chance of being approved for Green Card is exactly the same either through AOS or oversea consulates.

Dear khayat, and to all

Khayat, thank you to comfort me, and thanks for your all because this forum is really helpful.
I decided to choose BCIS. Below is my summary.

Khayat, my others concerns are what is "that deadline" and "I don't think your luck changes either way both ways have the same chance" that you mentioned above.

Best wishes,

CN: 2011AS0004xxxx
10/17/2009: entered DV2011
05/10/2010: rcvd NL1 (date on 05/04/2010) (notified letter + bar code + return label)
05/11/2010: sent back to KCC (DSP-122 + bar code + 2 photos + with return label topped on envelope)
...still wating

Hi All -
Thanks in advance for responding to my question. I am on a H1B working for a software company here in the US.
I was selected for further processing but my CN is pretty high 2011AF000722xx. I am thinking of doing the AOS.
But I would like to know if any of you have had any experience with such a high CN?
When should I apply for the AOS?
What does that mean to my H1B visa?
What if I travel lets say in December outside of the US?
What happened if my CN never gets current?
Basically what are the Pros and cons of doing AOS with such a high number.

Sorry for the load of questions.

2011AF000722xx

You are well positioned with an H-1B status. H-1 and L-1 are dual intent visas, so you can show an immigrant intent and still use either H-1 or L-1 to enter USA, when you are traveling abroad while your I-485 is pending. You can even apply for a H-1B visa renewal at a consulate even if your I-485 is pending, if required.

Most people with such high CN usually prefer CP route, due to the procedural delays at USCIS and hitting the Sept 30 deadline. But that is your choice. I think you can file I-485 only 90 days before your number becomes current. How it works in practice I am not sure, but check the 2010 AOS thread for details.

Good luck.
Hi All -
Thanks in advance for responding to my question. I am on a H1B working for a software company here in the US.
I was selected for further processing but my CN is pretty high 2011AF000722xx. I am thinking of doing the AOS.
But I would like to know if any of you have had any experience with such a high CN?
When should I apply for the AOS?
What does that mean to my H1B visa?
What if I travel lets say in December outside of the US?
What happened if my CN never gets current?
Basically what are the Pros and cons of doing AOS with such a high number.

Sorry for the load of questions.

2011AF000722xx

keepkeep

Thats exactly the question that i posted about a while ago... but no one seems to have replied to my post :( super confused!

CN: 2011AS00007XXX

hey! i think i read somewhere in the website that the main few forms should be filed latest by september 2011... so i think you are still good!

hi lucky2011 & everyone !

thanks so much for your advice! i guess that if i get the NL, i will hold on to it, settle down in US, then only mail them back somewhere in August, since im legally in US.

also, when im in US, if i choose to do AOS, i just need to send in the DSP-122 + 2 photo + barcode sheet right? The DS-230 is not needed right? The DSP-122 form on PDF format does not allow us to edit and fill out before we print, unlike the DS-230, so that means the only method to fill out DSP-122 is print out, and manually hand-written it?

Thank you so so so so much!

Thats exactly the question that i posted about a while ago... but no one seems to have replied to my post :( super confused!

CN: 2011AS00007XXX

The affidavit of support can be in many ways, and You need it at your interview I guess, You can convince them you can get a job based on your education I guess (this is a total guess!) Do you have any body in the states at all who is a resident and can support you?

I agree with the lucky one 2011, there is no actual deadline to send back your forms. (as long as it is before the date your visa number comes current) I was reading the 2010 thread and there are some people who sent their stuff 3,4 month later and they got their GC.
You can edit your stuff in DSP122 in adobe professional or write with a pen.
and yes I confirmed that by calling them myself only 122 is enough if you do AOS.

hi lucky2011 & everyone !

thanks so much for your advice! i guess that if i get the NL, i will hold on to it, settle down in US, then only mail them back somewhere in August, since im legally in US.

also, when im in US, if i choose to do AOS, i just need to send in the DSP-122 + 2 photo + barcode sheet right? The DS-230 is not needed right? The DSP-122 form on PDF format does not allow us to edit and fill out before we print, unlike the DS-230, so that means the only method to fill out DSP-122 is print out, and manually hand-written it?

Thank you so so so so much!

Hi, everyone!!!!!!!!
I am just wondering if somebody gets back the receipt from DOS, or the 2nd letter from KCC?

Hey guys,

Anyone knows if previous problem were noted when:

- Someone sends DSP-122 and 230 to KCC and cashier check to DOS
- He leaves to his country for one week or two
- He tries to enter back the US on F1 visa

Note that i still have not filed I-485 but i am still anxious about possible problems when returning back to the US on my F1. any help?

reptile

High School Diploma lost, but have Bachelor Diploma, would that be okay?

Hi guys,

I just called my home country to ask about my high school diploma, and they cannot find it.
However, I have my Bachelor diploma with me, and I am pursuing a Master's Degree right now.
Would it be okay if I don't have the High School Diploma?
Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

keepkeep

Hello all, new user here...this forum has been extremely helpful and I am very thankful for the collective knowledge accumulated over the past few years here.

I just received my 1st NL on 5/6/10, and it was dated 5/3/10, my number is 2011OC...3XX (seems like an OK number - not the best for Oceania, but decently low)
Getting my PhD in Michigan - I've been in US for several years actually (for undergrad and graduate) under F-1 so I plan to do AOS.

I actually drove down to the Michigan USCIS myself today - they weren't very helpful - the lady was not aware of the $375 we should pay to DOS...and she said I should file as soon as October rolls around (which appears to be a bad piece of advice?)

Some questions (think some might have been answered already - just would like to get a confirmation):
1) I am a little confused about "case number" becoming current. I should only file my I-485 to the USCIS when my number is lower than the month's number, correct? From the visa bulletins of past few years, it appears that Oceania fluctuates quite a lot (for 3XX, it's anything from October to February of following year)...but the rule of thumb is, have all the documents ready and file I-485 only when the visa bulletin indicates that the month's number is greater than my case number, correct? (e.g. my number is 400, October is 300 and November is 500, so I file in November)

2) The website seems to indicate that I will only need to send $375 (I am single) to DOS and then send I-485 etc. to USCIS when the time is ready. However, several posters who are doing AOS have already called / e-mailed KCC said that they were told to file DSP-122 anyway. So I should file DSP-122+photos to KCC as soon as possible, but won't need to send them 230?

(I plan on making a call myself tomorrow....KCC's already closed right now - heh they said they close at 4pm but I called at 3:50pm and they were already closed)

3) Does it matter when I pay the $375 to DOS? It cannot hurt if I send the money in and get the receipt ready as soon as possible right?

thank you so much khayat !

and could anyone answer reptile's situation? it might sort of apply to me as well.

thanks again :D