• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Frenchie,

You will be applying for I-765 under the "adjustment of status" category, so it will be (c) (9). See page 4, 7.a.

The last field would be blank, you can leave it as it is.

Dear Winners,

I am on a J1 visa (exchange visitor). I am single and have no kids. My current visa will expire on October 10, 2010. So I am applying for EAD, I-765 along with my AOS package.
In the instructions, I see J2 category but no J1. Since i am applying for AOS and my case will be pending, I guess my response to item #16 should be: (c) (9). Please, could any expert confirm this is the right answer? if i do put (c) (9), that means that the last parenthesis on the form will be blank. Should I write n/a in that last parentesis?

Thank you in advance for your help
Best of Luck
frenchiechs

For your info and help here is some additional general information regarding I-485 and a link to a sample : (immihelp.com) Please not that the sample is from a different category of eligibility.

Instructions
Part 1
Family Name: Last name, surname.
More details about name.

Address:
Provide your real address, and not a mailing address.

C/O:
If you have asked others to receive mail for you, write their name. Otherwise, leave blank.

Questions about the arrival refer to the latest arrival into the US.

Current USCIS Status
If you are still in lawful nonimmigrant status, the type of the visa you are currently on such as H-1B, B-2, F-1 etc.
If the expiration date on your I-94 (permitted stay) has passed, write "overstay".
If you entered the US illegally but somehow became eligible to adjust the status in the US, write "EWI" (entry without inspection).

Part 2
Self-explanatory.

Part 3
Look at the instructions for Form I-130, Part C.

If you have been with an organization with advocates violence, consult an attorney before proceeding further.

If you have volunteered with organizations such as religious organizations etc, list them here.

If answer to rest of the questions in Part 3 is "Yes", consult an attorney before proceeding further.

Part 4
You, the beneficiary, should sign this form.

Part 5
Signature of Person Preparing Form if Other than Above
If any lawyer or agency filled this form, they should provide their details.
If your friend, colleague or relative helped you fill this form, they don't have to write their details.

Sample: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-485.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa & Frenchiechs,

Similar thing happened to me, I was in Canada on vacation with my family last year. They did not stamp my passport but merely stamped "admitted" on my SEVIS since am on F-1, student visa, in all my AOS forms I indicated the "admitted" date as the last entry date. However, I did not use Niagara as point of entry, if you look at the stamp, the round "admitted" one, "BUF" is written in it, so I used BUFFALO,NY as my last point of entry, note that on the Canadian Side they must have stamped your passport too with the date inscribed, they did mine. It should not be a problem, the stamped "admitted" is our proof of last entry date and location.

Guys, Does NL2 contains AOS Payment "Form"? Is it any different than the one available online? If so, can someone post a copy of it, of course a blank one..:)

Hey feel, I answered you this question in a private message. The NL2 does not contain the payment form. The payment form you find online and it is pretyy simple.

Guys, Does NL2 contains AOS Payment "Form"? Is it any different than the one available online? If so, can someone post a copy of it, of course a blank one..:)

there you go feel... Source: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4763.html

Mail Payments To:

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

DV Program Case Number: _______________________________________

Selectee Surname ______________________________________________

Selectee Given Name ___________________________________________

Address ______________________________________________________

City: State: Zip Code: ____________________________________________

Payment for ____________ persons adjusting status in the U.S. (Number of Persons)

Total Amount enclosed ____________________ (Fee amount times the number of persons adjusting status in the U.S.)

Hi Izzy120,

1. yes
2. no, no,no
3. office just looked at the passport, did not input anything nor stamped the passport
4. Canadians stamped my passport with the date of arrival

Thank you

Lisa,

Few questions:

1. Were you in Canada for less than 30 days?
2. Did you hand over your I-94 upon exit? Was a new I-94 issued upon re-entry? Was there any kind of entry made on your I-94? I know you said there was no passport stamping...
3. Do you remember the CBP officer putting any kind of information into the system or was it just a mere glance at your passport before s/he let you go?
4. Did the Canadians stamp your passport upon entry into Canada?

Lisa,

(my personal opinion) I think in your case you should only mention the last entry that has been stamped in your passport.

Hi Izzy120,

1. yes
2. no, no,no
3. office just looked at the passport, did not input anything nor stamped the passport

Thank you

Lisa,

For visits less than 30 days, the CBP officers usually don't entry-stamp the passport/I-94 (unless you specifically ask them to "entry-stamp" your passport, which is what most people do) especially for those coming back from Canada by land (there are tons of stories on trackitt.com and on murthy.com forum about this very issue).

Whether or not you received a new I-94, you did make a new entry into the US at that time.

If I were in your place, I would be truthful and disclose information about the Canada trip even though it does not match the I-94 (since it wasn’t my mistake they didn’t stamp my passport at the CAN/US POE) and attach an addendum explaining the situation, that way I am in the clear. If they entered anything in the system, and find out that you lied while under the oath, the lying itself would be a big no no. And you can’t really say you lied because you didn’t want things to get complicated. That’s what I would do. But of course the decision is yours.

This very thing happens a lot of times to a lot of people. Many don’t even know that the I-94 does not need to be turned in for trips less than 30 days and the passport needs to be entry-stamped upon re-entry, so its not really your fault.

It is highly likely that there isn’t any record of you exiting and entering the US for that trip especially that being a road trip. But, like I said before, if I were you, I would be truthful about it and explain it, this happens a lot of times to a lot of people and USCIS will understand especially if you are honest about it.

THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO, THE DECISION IS YOURS.

Hi Izzy120,

1. yes
2. no, no,no

Thank you

Lisa,

Considering what Izzy is saying, I would talk to a lawyer. USCIS would not care if the mistake is in your part or theirs. They can easily say: "You should have known that you need a stamp and asked for it." if you had to (I am not saying that you had to.)
All I am saying is that if this issue and its explanation rises any doubts/ questions in your case. You better be prepared in advance

Lisa,

For visits less than 30 days, the CBP officers usually don't entry-stamp the passport/I-94 (unless you specifically ask them to "entry-stamp" your passport, which is what most people do) especially for those coming back from Canada by land (there are tons of stories on trackitt.com and on murthy.com forum about this very issue).

Whether or not you received a new I-94, you did make a new entry into the US at that time.

If I were in your place, I would be truthful and disclose information about the Canada trip even though it does not match the I-94 (since it wasn’t my mistake they didn’t stamp my passport at the CAN/US POE) and attach an addendum explaining the situation, that way I am in the clear. If they entered anything in the system, and find out that you lied while under the oath, the lying itself would be a big no no. And you can’t really say you lied because you didn’t want things to get complicated. That’s what I would do. But of course the decision is yours.

This very thing happens a lot of times to a lot of people. Many don’t even know that the I-94 does not need to be turned in for trips less than 30 days and the passport needs to be entry-stamped upon re-entry, so its not really your fault.

It is highly likely that there isn’t any record of you exiting and entering the US for that trip especially that being a road trip. But, like I said before, if I were you, I would be truthful about it and explain it, this happens a lot of times to a lot of people and USCIS will understand especially if you are honest about it.

THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO, THE DECISION IS YOURS.

Hi all,

First of all, you have to know that reading the latest postings on this website has become my morning routine and feels like I'll certainly miss it once this process will be over.

I have a couple of questions for you.
1. My neighborhood post-office can only issue 2 money orders to cover the S1,010 amount, one for the $1,000 maximum allowed to them and another one for the rest. Do you think that this split can cause any problems?
2. Do you guys staple or use a paper clip to keep all the pages of a form together and a document copy attached to its translation?

Thank you. I wish you all the best of luck with your applications.

CN 2011EU3XXX, AOS
4/25/2010 received 1st NL
5/3/2010 sent ds230, 122 to KCC
6/10/2010 medicals finished
6/14/2010 received 2nd NL
6/17/2010 sent $375 DOS check
6/25/2010 received 1st DOS receipt
8/2/2010 sent $65 DOS check
8/10/2010 received 2nd DOS check

Hey Tahoe, use personal check . It is so much more convenient, you will know when they will cash it out. Regarding the papers, I staple mine, I always stapled everything I sent to USCIS and no problems till now.
Hi all,

First of all, you have to know that reading the latest postings on this website has become my morning routine and feels like I'll certainly miss it once this process will be over.

I have a couple of questions for you.
1. My neighborhood post-office can only issue 2 money orders to cover the S1,010 amount, one for the $1,000 maximum allowed to them and another one for the rest. Do you think that this split can cause any problems?
2. Do you guys staple or use a paper clip to keep all the pages of a form together and a document copy attached to its translation?

Thank you. I wish you all the best of luck with your applications.

CN 2011EU3XXX, AOS
4/25/2010 received 1st NL
5/3/2010 sent ds230, 122 to KCC
6/10/2010 medicals finished
6/14/2010 received 2nd NL
6/17/2010 sent $375 DOS check
6/25/2010 received 1st DOS receipt
8/2/2010 sent $65 DOS check
8/10/2010 received 2nd DOS check

Hi guys. thank you for this forum and your info. I've been reading it for a couple of days. I'm also current in October. My number is EU9xxx. I dont know if any of you have a similar situation but I'm a little worried: My H1b expired on the 22 of september. I applied for extension on june 18 but it's still pending and uscis is likely to start processing it only in October (it's taking really a long time). So, by the moment I'm filing I-485 I dont have H1b, only pending extension. i'm not even sure if I get it before november, because now they require RFE (that'll take 2 more months). So, my question is if the absence of H1b approval, but only notice receipt can affect my getting the green card.? What if my H1b extension is rejected in October or November? do I lose my GC or filing I485 already guarantees me my legal status here, even if my H1b is denied or i dont get an approval by the interview? Thank you for your responses. By the way i am in MD. Is there anyone from MD?

Hello! I have couple more question. Can I apply for travel passport while sending I-485 and which form is it? If yes, can I visit Canada without Canadian visa?
Thank you