• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hi frenchiechs,

I agree with baobab about your tax returns. Like I said you might not need to send your W2 documents with your AOS package, but the officer at the interview will surely ask for them since you have worked here. So make sure everything is sorted out before the interview time comes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
we applied for the visa at the end of july and got the receipt that from August 4th he was pending, but his visa expired on September 11th, which makes him pending for now. But I also checked the grace period for J1 visa is 30 days from when the visa expires. Which gives us time till October 11, But we are sending in the AOS package on the 30th of september.

natta,
i think your husband may be in a tricky situation. as far as uscis is concerned he is out of status now. in all cases of visa renewals or applications they always encourage you to apply weeks before your current visa expires so that you will remain in status. his unlawful presence will not accrue only if he was in status before he submits his aos package and uscis accepts it. what he's doing is a risk.

and as what khayat said ... not sure you can adjust status on a tourist visa. it's mentioned in the aos package detailed instructions.

since you are so close to getting it ... why don't you at least call a few lawyers to check your options. you don't have to hire them right away but get some idea on how you should proceed.

in almost all cases of applicants in this forum, our passports were checked for visa status. they even checked old passports to ensure that we have kept legal status throughout.

Dear baobab,

thank you so much for sharing this precious link!!!! i found the article 21 that is related to my situation. i pay no taxes in France. My taxes are directly deductible form my salary here. i should have filled the tax return form. Is there a way to fill that in, past the deadline?
I understand what you and khayat are saying: I will make sure to include copies of my W2 in the AOS package and provide the USCIS with original one at my interview.

thank you for your help
Frenchiechs

Hi all,

Several questions on the forms:

-- i485
---- have you been examined by officer? do they mean "did you get a more thorough check than the 5 minutes at the port of entry?" is it to check if they took you to a backroom or something?
---- current uscis status: I'm h1b... should I write "non-immigrant visa", "H1B", ... ?
---- list spouses: it's stupid, but where should I put the "none"... on every line? (99.9% it doesnt matter... but i dont want to get it wrong)
-- g325a
---- alien registration number... I had one when I was F1/OPT... but I'm not sure I have one on the h1b visa... would you guys know about that?

and a last question for the I94... I will travel after I send my AOS package, which is fine since I'm H1b (I can come back safely without AP)... but does it matter for the I94 number wont be the same in my package and 2 month later?

Ok. So I just called KCC regarding the 2NL and they said that they send me one on August 2nd , but they did send it on the old adress that was specified when registering for the lottery, not on the new adress specified on the DSP 122, because they said they send in the 2NL before they start processing the DSP 122 so they did not know about the new adress. So in this case they asked me for my e-mail adress, which they said they already had on file a I emailed them before and they said I should be getting a copy on my email.
So for those who are in this situation, I know that Feel is, just call them and make sure they send you a copy by email.
I hope this helps others in the forum who were in the same situation as we were and did not get the letter yet.

natta, thanks for this information. However, I just called them and they said my my forms are still under processing. I think they process forms based on the case number rather than the date delivered...who knows? Also how do they know if one is doing AOS or CP without processing the Form DSP-122, I wonder!!!

natta, I dont know if it helps within your context but i think we can differentiate the facts: "X is out of status" and "X's visa has expired". I remember asking the question clearly to the International Center officer at my school when i first came here and he told me: "You are in legal presence in the U.S. as long as you maintain a valid (non-expired) I-20 EVEN IF YOUR VISA EXPIRES while in the U.S".

So if your husband's J1 visa has expired, what about his DS-2019, did it expire as well? If it did as well, i would say take the advice of a lawyer before you proceed on this. I know many of them know less than some people in this forum but you can give it a try anyways. You might find some experts! Of course im not talking about spending money on consultations, there are offices that offer free first time phone consultations. Try your luck.

PS: Note that you'll still need a passport valid for at least 6 months before applying to AOS.

reptile

His passport is valid till 2018, so he is fine regarding the passport. We didn't talk to any lawyer but we did ask at USCIS if he can do AOS and they said he can. I am not sure about DS, hi had a student J1 visa for summer only that expired 3 days ago and he has 30 days grace period till October 11, till then we already will have applied for AOS as we are current in October
natta, I dont know if it helps within your context but i think we can differentiate the facts: "X is out of status" and "X's visa has expired". I remember asking the question clearly to the International Center officer at my school when i first came here and he told me: "You are in legal presence in the U.S. as long as you maintain a valid (non-expired) I-20 EVEN IF YOUR VISA EXPIRES while in the U.S".

So if your husband's J1 visa has expired, what about his DS-2019, did it expire as well? If it did as well, i would say take the advice of a lawyer before you proceed on this. I know many of them know less than some people in this forum but you can give it a try anyways. You might find some experts! Of course im not talking about spending money on consultations, there are offices that offer free first time phone consultations. Try your luck.

PS: Note that you'll still need a passport valid for at least 6 months before applying to AOS.

reptile

Affidavit of Support:
It will always be in your best interest to get one (for the interview) just in case whether or not you are employed currently. Remember, IOs will evaluate your possibility of becoming a financial burden to the US government on the basis of your age, health, no. of members in your family, how long you have been in the US, level of education, field of education/years of experience, plus if you show proof of work (W2s), it will suggest that it won’t be hard for you to get/maintain a job once you are a LPR. Use your common sense and put yourself in the IO’s shoes and play your scenario. With this information plus the type of IO you get, will determine whether or not you will need a sponsor. But, again, I EMPHASIZE this, it will be in your best interest to have affidavit of support for your interview (get both I-134 and I-864 if you can). You should know by now, theoretically, I-134 is used for DV cases but again, the IO you get maybe adamant on I-864. Try to find someone who does not have a big family, has a good full time permanent job…you know the rest.

Visa issues:
My honest opinion: If I were you, I would think twice before walking on thin ice. Reason: Although it is unlikely, who knows your AoS maybe rejected for one small mistake (could be your mistake or USCIS’s, if you haven’t already learnt from Summet’s case, please do so now). I am not trying to scare anyone, but asking you to be prepared for the worst. I agree that you have to be in legal status at the time of filing for AoS, in which case you will be considered to be in “adjustee” status. But letting your backup visa expire 10 days later is another thing (this is pure gambling). Just don’t do something that will come back and bite you. If I were in a situation like this, I would have a back-up plan in case things go south…but hey that’s just me…
PS: quote from murthy.com, “Current immigration law provides little, if any, guidance on the maintenance of F-1 status while applying for adjustment of status. Students in this situation should be cautious when making any decisions pertaining to F-1 status issues. While it appears students are allowed to maintain their F-1 status while applications for adjustment of status are pending, each person's situation is unique and may require advice from legal counsel. Since there is no clear-cut law or guidance, the safest course for an F-1 student is to obtain the Advance Parole and the EAD, or have a backup dual-intent status, like the H1B or H-4, to be on the safe side.”

Also, you can get your questions answered on this website: www.lawbench.com for only 10 bucks, good lawyers there are Wilson and Hathi (I am not promoting this, but thought this would be helpful to those not wanting to pay hundreds of $$ for just one question, I have used this myself and have found it useful, but remember, you get what you pay for…). Just wanted to put it out there.

Grace Period:

Generally, the grace period for F-1 students is sixty days in duration, after the completion of the academic program of study. For those students who obtained F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT), there is a sixty-day grace period at the end of the OPT. It does not apply to students who discontinue their studies and fail to properly maintain F-1 student status. There is also a thirty-day grace period for J-1 students or international exchange scholars. This grace period is strictly for you to:

1. Depart the United States, or
  2. Enroll in a SEVP certified school at another level, or,
  3. Take steps to otherwise maintain legal status.
I-485/G-325A/I-765 Questions Answered:
~The Visa number is the one on your latest US visa in red.

~If you even applied for work permit (CPT, OPT, H1B) you will be assigned an Alien Registration Number aka A# which you can find on your EAD card. It will always be the same number but do double check. Its not a biggie if you don’t know your A#, USCIS will look it up for you (with your name, DOB), as it is part of the lockbox/NBC process. They will most probably issue you a new A# based on your AoS application.

~Answer to “Have you been examined by the officer”: YES (which makes you ‘lawfully admitted non-resident alien’ and proof is your stamped I-94.

~Current status: you may write “H-1B (temporary worker)” or just H-1B

~If don’t have a spouse write “None” and “N/A” in the rest of the field.

~Advance Parole/H1B: Since H1B is a dual intent status, you are permitted to travel with your H1B (which is good if you use this, since using AP will invalidate your current status, i.e., H-1B). The conditions for maintaining H status still applies, i.e., you return with a valid H visa and continue to work for the employer who petitioned for your H visa. Since DV AoS is such a short process, my advice is not to travel until your PR is approved (in like what 3 months?). But again, that’s just me.

Hey Feel, still no e-mail from KCC, I don't know what is going on. But I also send them an email today as well regarding the 2NL , hope to get one tommorow, cause as of today they are already closed.
natta, did you get the email with 2NL?

Thanks Izzy for the info
This is very helpfull to me as I was searching everywhere regarding the grace period for J1 visa holders. These 30 days would be enough for us to send the AOS package to Chicago and be pending. But we were not too sure about the whole grace period thing and really didn't wanted to be out of status so at the end of July we filed for a B2 visa explaining the circumstances. The aplication has been pending since August 4th and I know it usually takes around 2.5 months or more to get an answer, hope to be fine by then, as I am so nervous about it. Can't wait to send the AOS package on September 30th.
Affidavit of Support:
It will always be in your best interest to get one (for the interview) just in case whether or not you are employed currently. Remember, IOs will evaluate your possibility of becoming a financial burden to the US government on the basis of your age, health, no. of members in your family, how long you have been in the US, level of education, field of education/years of experience, plus if you show proof of work (W2s), it will suggest that it won’t be hard for you to get/maintain a job once you are a LPR. Use your common sense and put yourself in the IO’s shoes and play your scenario. With this information plus the type of IO you get, will determine whether or not you will need a sponsor. But, again, I EMPHASIZE this, it will be in your best interest to have affidavit of support for your interview (get both I-134 and I-864 if you can). You should know by now, theoretically, I-134 is used for DV cases but again, the IO you get maybe adamant on I-864. Try to find someone who does not have a big family, has a good full time permanent job…you know the rest.

Visa issues:
My honest opinion: If I were you, I would think twice before walking on thin ice. Reason: Although it is unlikely, who knows your AoS maybe rejected for one small mistake (could be your mistake or USCIS’s, if you haven’t already learnt from Summet’s case, please do so now). I am not trying to scare anyone, but asking you to be prepared for the worst. I agree that you have to be in legal status at the time of filing for AoS, in which case you will be considered to be in “adjustee” status. But letting your backup visa expire 10 days later is another thing (this is pure gambling). Just don’t do something that will come back and bite you. If I were in a situation like this, I would have a back-up plan in case things go south…but hey that’s just me…
PS: quote from murthy.com, “Current immigration law provides little, if any, guidance on the maintenance of F-1 status while applying for adjustment of status. Students in this situation should be cautious when making any decisions pertaining to F-1 status issues. While it appears students are allowed to maintain their F-1 status while applications for adjustment of status are pending, each person's situation is unique and may require advice from legal counsel. Since there is no clear-cut law or guidance, the safest course for an F-1 student is to obtain the Advance Parole and the EAD, or have a backup dual-intent status, like the H1B or H-4, to be on the safe side.”

Also, you can get your questions answered on this website: www.lawbench.com for only 10 bucks, good lawyers there are Wilson and Hathi (I am not promoting this, but thought this would be helpful to those not wanting to pay hundreds of $$ for just one question, I have used this myself and have found it useful, but remember, you get what you pay for…). Just wanted to put it out there.

Grace Period:

Generally, the grace period for F-1 students is sixty days in duration, after the completion of the academic program of study. For those students who obtained F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT), there is a sixty-day grace period at the end of the OPT. It does not apply to students who discontinue their studies and fail to properly maintain F-1 student status. There is also a thirty-day grace period for J-1 students or international exchange scholars. This grace period is strictly for you to:

Hi Izzy,

What was summet's mistake?

Affidavit of Support:

Visa issues:

Grace Period:

I-485/G-325A/I-765 Questions Answered:
~The Visa number is the one on your latest US visa in red.

~If you even applied for work permit (CPT, OPT, H1B) you will be assigned an Alien Registration Number aka A# which you can find on your EAD card. It will always be the same number but do double check. Its not a biggie if you don’t know your A#, USCIS will look it up for you (with your name, DOB), as it is part of the lockbox/NBC process. They will most probably issue you a new A# based on your AoS application.

~Answer to “Have you been examined by the officer”: YES (which makes you ‘lawfully admitted non-resident alien’ and proof is your stamped I-94.

~Current status: you may write “H-1B (temporary worker)” or just H-1B

~If don’t have a spouse write “None” and “N/A” in the rest of the field.

~Advance Parole/H1B: Since H1B is a dual intent status, you are permitted to travel with your H1B (which is good if you use this, since using AP will invalidate your current status, i.e., H-1B). The conditions for maintaining H status still applies, i.e., you return with a valid H visa and continue to work for the employer who petitioned for your H visa. Since DV AoS is such a short process, my advice is not to travel until your PR is approved (in like what 3 months?). But again, that’s just me.

In his case, Summet hired a lawyer (who didn't know squat about the DV AoS process) and the lawyer applied for AoS 6 months before he actually became current. Plus, USCIS made a mistake by issuing him EAD (which he used) and AP. Once the file got to the FO, the IO realized that his CN was not even current and rejected his case. Here:
His lawyer sent his AoS package on 01/04/10.
His AoS declined on 04/21/10 (which only came 4 months later)

He was fine because it was not his fault (it was part lawyer's, and part USCIS's). So he was lucky eventhough he used his EAD.

Of course we all know that we should apply when we become current, but you never know what mistakes may be made...All I am saying is that, if it were me, I would look for a back-up status just in case...and not gamble my status if it were to expire in 10 days...that is just me...

Below is Summet's signature, as a FYI:

5/25/09 1st NL (AS259**)
09/1/09 DV fee $375 pd
09/23/09 Rcpt of $375
01/04/10 AOS Pckg
01/12/10 receipt AOS
03/05/10 biometric done
03/20/10 travel doc approved
03/27/10 EAD card
04/21/10 AOS Declined
06/23/10. AOS package sent
06/24/10 AOS package received
07/01/10 Checks cashed.
07/07/10 NOA received.
08/11/10 Interview letter for 08/25
08/25/10 CARD approved
08/26/10 Card production
08/30/10 welcome letter
09/03/10 PDA
09/07/10 GREEN CARD

I didn't say it was his mistake, my exact words were: "...if you haven’t already learnt from Summet’s case, please do so now."

Hi Izzy,

What was summet's mistake?

natta,

Could you refresh my memory? What status are you on? J1 or F1? And what status is your spouse on currently?

Thanks Izzy for the info
This is very helpfull to me as I was searching everywhere regarding the grace period for J1 visa holders. These 30 days would be enough for us to send the AOS package to Chicago and be pending. But we were not too sure about the whole grace period thing and really didn't wanted to be out of status so at the end of July we filed for a B2 visa explaining the circumstances. The aplication has been pending since August 4th and I know it usually takes around 2.5 months or more to get an answer, hope to be fine by then, as I am so nervous about it. Can't wait to send the AOS package on September 30th.

I does make sense. I just want to add something here and maybe we can discuss this a bit further and share and learn something. As far as I have learned, DV is one of the most reliable and fastest route of obtaining LPR. However, depending on who handles your case in your side (eg. lawyer, yourself) or on the USCIS side like IO something might come up. It is true that the requirements are very few but are tricky. You are always depended on some shaky bases like the IO's decision and his mood, the FBI check and how fast that is done at etc.
on the other hand I always thought that is for some reason AOS fails, you fall back to your non immigrant status as long as that is valid. For instance if you have parts of you education left, I heard you can still finish that. Am I right or I am missing something here?
Also you can have 2 immigration application pending at the same time: quote from murthy site: " it is possible to have a lottery case and an employment, family, or other type of green card case pending" This means that if things goes south you probably can proceed with your original immigration plans you have had.

Guys lets hope for the best. I know we need to be prepared for the worse

Any thoughts?

In his case, Summet hired a lawyer (who didn't know squat about the DV AoS process) and the lawyer applied for AoS 6 months before he actually became current. Plus, USCIS made a mistake by issuing him EAD (which he used) and AP. Once the file got to the FO, the IO realized that his CN was not even current and rejected his case. Here:
His lawyer sent his AoS package on 01/04/10.
His AoS declined on 04/21/10 (which only came 4 months later)

He was fine because it was not his fault (it was part lawyer's, and part USCIS's). So he was lucky eventhough he used his EAD.

Of course we all know that we should apply when we become current, but you never know what mistakes may be made...All I am saying is that, if it were me, I would look for a back-up status just in case...and not gamble my status if it were to expire in 10 days...that is just me...

Below is Summet's signature, as a FYI:

5/25/09 1st NL (AS259**)
09/1/09 DV fee $375 pd
09/23/09 Rcpt of $375
01/04/10 AOS Pckg
01/12/10 receipt AOS
03/05/10 biometric done
03/20/10 travel doc approved
03/27/10 EAD card
04/21/10 AOS Declined
06/23/10. AOS package sent
06/24/10 AOS package received
07/01/10 Checks cashed.
07/07/10 NOA received.
08/11/10 Interview letter for 08/25
08/25/10 CARD approved
08/26/10 Card production
08/30/10 welcome letter
09/03/10 PDA
09/07/10 GREEN CARD

I didn't say it was his mistake, my exact words were: "...if you haven’t already learnt from Summet’s case, please do so now."

Ok, I am not that familiar with the details of J1. I was wondering why your spouse did not apply for F2 (as your dependent) instead. Another thing is, it can get tricky with B1/B2 applying for AoS (despite USCIS telling you it may be OK), like few people already suggested, do get a lawyer involved and discuss your options.

I am on F1 since 2006, husband second time on J1 - the 2 year rule dos not apply

I try to apply for a F2 visa for him, but it was way to complicated as I was asked to show financial proof of 27 K for me that is one year of tuition and living expenses and another 10K at least for him and in the same time show where these money come from. Because in January this year I applied for work authorization based on economic hardship that you can aplly the second year at one institution, which I was granted in June and am currently working,but no way I am making all this money. So that is why we decided to go for B2. Regarding B2, today a very good friend of mine had interview with immigration as she maried a US citizen and this was her second time on B2 after coming last summer with J1 , so her interview was succesful, she did send the I-485 while she was under B2 visa, so it is possible.
Ok, I am not that familiar with the details of J1. I was wondering why your spouse did not apply for F2 (as your dependent) instead. Another thing is, it can get tricky with B1/B2 applying for AoS (despite USCIS telling you it may be OK), like few people already suggested, do get a lawyer involved and discuss your options.