• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

NuvF thanks for exsplanation - Yes, I have state DL and ID. DL is going to be expired in October ,15 and the ID in 2012. I thought that I needed to change my PP cause I was sure that I MUST show it on the interview. Does it mean that they don't check PP.
Could you please give me the doc. that usually people have to bring, and what is better to bring for some reason?
You DO NOT need a current unexpired PP for i-485 AoS purposes. It is good if you can hold the expired or close to expire PP with you at the intvw, but it is not a requirement. (if your PP is expired at the time of intvw, make sure you have your state DL or similar as an ID)

Best!

NuvF if I understand right your suggestion - is not to go to the SAn Francisko to re-new my PP.
And just for being sure PP is the passport for travelingand for being here, not the passport from my original country.
Do I need to show passport from my original country?
What can happen if I'll decided to re-new my passport now?

Laplace,

I'm in the same position, I have my GC and EAD and I-94. In the welcome letter they say that if we need anything from you we would let you know. Well, nobody has asked me so far for my EAD and I-94. If I go out of the country I would leave I-94 in the airport.

Being through the whole process this thing doesn't even raise my heartbeat by one.

Well... Nothing has changed so far. My case still does not seem to exists at the web site of USCIS!

My interview was scheduled at 9:15 and I was there at 8:15. I submitted my interview letter. I had 4 other GC cases in front of me. They were all for the marriage cases. It took 2 hours for them to get approved. When I was called for an interview it was already 10:30!!! Then the lady told me how lucky I was since I was getting my GC in the last year of PhD. She got the copies of the IDs and she told me that if the visa number is available she is approving my case right away. She said that I should have my GC in 10 days. Then she went to 485 and asked questions from there. She even asked me questions from the Medical examination paper. Eventually she told me that she is gonna have a final check today and approve my case. Before I left I asked her if she needs the letter of intent from my univ and pay stubs for the last two months. She said that she could take them. I handed them in. Then I left the immigration office. Then I realized that she did not take my I-94 out of my passport. Then I went back in the USCIS and asked the lady behind the counter whether or not it is ok that the officer did not take the I-94 out. She just ripped it off right away. Then I asked whether or not I am given a stamp or I-555. She said that it is gonna be mailed to me. Then I left USCIS again. I realized that she did not get my EAD back. I did not even submit W2s and Tax returns.

PS: By the way I got the original birth certificate back from the officer.

What do you guys think?

@ Dimus: Thanks for the thread. It seems like the same thing happened to you too. But she did not ask for any paper listed in the interview letter. That pissed me off. Actually before I left I asked her if she needed the LOI and pay stubs!!! Were you asked for any papers during your interview?

But today I realized another thing that the same officer interviewed a friend of mine for a citizenship application. She approved the case and the same day she sent a mail for more evidence! I am afraid that I will fall into the same situation.

Another thing is that the International Office at my university said that it is pretty weird the EAD card was not asked to be returned! It seems like I am facing a very inexperienced officer.

NuvF if I understand right your suggestion - is not to go to the SAn Francisko to re-new my PP.
And just for being sure PP is the passport for travelingand for being here, not the passport from my original country.
Do I need to show passport from my original country?
What can happen if I'll decided to re-new my passport now?

Ok, lets see.....that I understood you correct...

You said you will go to SF and apply for a new PP with your embassy. Embassy will give you a letter saying that a new PP is going to be processed in your name. AND ALSO the embassy will let you keep the PP that you have now so you can take it to the green card intvw. (at that time it may or may not be expired)

Did I understand you correctly?

If that is right, then you do not have to worry. Go to SF and apply for new PP and take the old PP to your intvw. You will be just fine.

Best!

PS: I still stand by my original suggestion to you regarding your i-485. Few who do not agree with my pt of view seems to expect the IO who would eventually adjudicate your i-485 to NOT TO FOLLOW the LAW regarding filing date. Initial acceptance and secondary processing of i-485 s are (more often than not) handled by just 'clerks' NOT by proper 'adjudicating officers'. They will handle it finally. Hence the time period from your acceptance to today's date or to your intvw date means just NOTHING. When most people get rejected after a long period after sending in i-485, the criticism is........ oh, why then they sat on my application for so long time, they should have told me before, much earlier!! Well... many ppl do not just realize how the system works.

Also, you seems to have decided to rely on what the cust svc. ppl have told you and what field office ppl told you. Unfortunately, more often than not they are very wrong.

Having said all that, let me also say that you CAN be lucky. If I remember correct in 2009 and 2010 two ppl from LAX office got approved even though they filed early. It may be you this year. I hope it will be the case.

Best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes NuvF you are correct about PP.
About the second one, I can only wait, cause I'm afraid if I apply for the new I - 485 right now, it can only confused whole process. Do you know somebody, who already did the same - apply for the new one, before getting the rejection letter. Also I'm going to make infopass and try one more time to talk to the people who works there....

And also NuvF - Now I know that it's a rule - we need fill out the application before 90 or 60 days. But let's just pretend that I'm the stupiest person in the world and I don't know how to use computer.
And if they sent me the letter - NL2 - in which they wrote - "YOU may apply for adjustment of status from October, 1 2010" - it means for me that I can do it from that time. It's suppose to be a rule for me. It doesn't say that I have to go to internet and follow rules which is being written in the USCIS site. That's why I hope that everything has to be ok, I'm praying for that. I thought that everybody have the same letter - didn't you see this sing in your NL2?

And also NuvF - Now I know that it's a rule - we need fill out the application before 90 or 60 days. But let's just pretend that I'm the stupiest person in the world and I don't know how to use computer.
And if they sent me the letter - NL2 - in which they wrote - "YOU may apply for adjustment of status from October, 1 2010" - it means for me that I can do it from that time. It's suppose to be a rule for me. It doesn't say that I have to go to internet and follow rules which is being written in the USCIS site. That's why I hope that everything has to be ok, I'm praying for that. I thought that everybody have the same letter - didn't you see this sing in your NL2?

Well, NL2 is very generic. It do not explain all the LEGAL requirements.

What is your home country? while you are waiting for the AoS, for the fun of it can you learn how the DV winner processing in your home country works? How and how long to get police reports, medical reports etc etc. Also if you have lived in other countries (than US) for more than 6 mos, learn how to get their police reports as well. Those info may be, just may be useful eventually, you never know.

Best!

Yes Sharminlee, they said that they sent it, and The Immigration in LOS Angeles - FO- got it on April 11.
If your FO requested your KCC file, I think that your AOS file is at the FO already.

Thanks feel for answering, the reason why i don't do it, cause I just did it 6 days ago and they said me that my case still in NBC. Do you thing I have to do it again - cause I had really bad experience - the big african-american person, just said don't worry, you've already win, you have to be happy and by. Then I tried to explane that I'm worried just because I have to make my interwiev before September 30, 2011. He said you've already win and by. He spent with me 2 min not more. He didn't ask my name, he doesn't ask my number - nothing - I tried to give it him, - he just said - BY........
So when did they mention that your file is at NBC if they did not even ask your CN or name?
The problem with infopasses is that they can be quite useless. At most FOs you do not get to talk to actual interviewing officers, but with representatives who may not be very familiar with the DV process.

I don’t know if some had a similar situation, but I served in the army back home for a year, it was a mandatory service, do you think that this will affect my AOS.
In I-485 I will answer yes for Questions 15 & 18. And I will attach continuation sheet explaining that it was a mandatory service every male over 18 had to serve.

Please guy’s advice…..
Thanks

You should be fine. You MUST NOT lie since you are signing this form under penalty and perjury.

I don’t know if some had a similar situation, but I served in the army back home for a year, it was a mandatory service, do you think that this will affect my AOS.
In I-485 I will answer yes for Questions 15 & 18. And I will attach continuation sheet explaining that it was a mandatory service every male over 18 had to serve.

Please guy’s advice…..
Thanks

Baobab, he asked my recipe number and A#. However, you're absolutely right about infopass. :(
If your FO requested your KCC file, I think that your AOS file is at the FO already.

So when did they mention that your file is at NBC if they did not even ask your CN or name?
The problem with infopasses is that they can be quite useless. At most FOs you do not get to talk to actual interviewing officers, but with representatives who may not be very familiar with the DV process.

Hey Guys,

I have sent my Package to Chicago, 05/16/2011. today it is going to be 11 days which I have not received any Acceptance email or text, I have filled G1145.

Is there any thing which I can do to see what happened to my case?

Thanks

Mine took 22 days. So, I suggest you to have patience. As NuvF pointed out, you filed little early ( I am assuming that you'd be current in the next bulletin). Hope it will not be an issue for you.

Yes, what is the average time for acceptance text and email????

Thanks