• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hi everyone,

I received the 1s NL a couple weeks ago (EU00015XXX).
I have an appointment at USCIS tomorrow to determine the eligibility for AOS.

Now I have started to fill DS-122... are you supposed to list all schools you attended (even high school)? What about their full addresses? There's obviously not enough room to write an international address down there...

Also, I'm on H1B right now, does that mean I don't need AP to travel after I file for AOS? Can someone point me to the official doc that says so?

Thanks

--sob

Regarding traveling on H1B while 485 is filled please see I-485 instructions, Page 9 1 Exceptions.

I wrote all my schools every high and junior high. I had a consultation with the lawyer and was told to write everything, what could be considered as an education. When it comes to Address, I believe you only need to write City and Country.

hello dv_e and didi01
IS it ok to travel before filing i485 ? (with out AP) how much time does it take to get an AP approved?
Sinbad.

Regarding traveling on H1B while 485 is filled please see I-485 instructions, Page 9 1 Exceptions.

I wrote all my schools every high and junior high. I had a consultation with the lawyer and was told to write everything, what could be considered as an education. When it comes to Address, I believe you only need to write City and Country.

Thanks for the info.

I just got back from the USCIS to confirm my eligibility for AOS, and the guy told me that I had to come back after October 1st. WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from the USCIS to confirm my eligibility for AOS, and the guy told me that I had to come back after October 1st. WTF?

Hi, sob!!!! Can you tell us how did the USCIS confirm your eligibility? Do you have some printed message from them? Thank you!!!

He did not confirm anything. He just said I should come back later.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello dv_e and didi01
IS it ok to travel before filing i485 ? (with out AP) how much time does it take to get an AP approved?
Sinbad.

I'm trying to find the answer to the first question too. So far I heard different opinions to whether it's ok to travel before filling i485 or if DSP-122 shows enough immigration intent for the Department of State.

I'm trying to find the answer to the first question too. So far I heard different opinions to whether it's ok to travel before filling i485 or if DSP-122 shows enough immigration intent for the Department of State.

if you intend to file for adjustment of status (i485) and have not filed yet, you can still travel. but you cannot travel out of the country after you have filed your i485 unless you have an approved advanced parole. otherwise uscis will have deemed that you have abandoned your i485 filing.

if you intend to file for adjustment of status (i485) and have not filed yet, you can still travel. but you cannot travel out of the country after you have filed your i485 unless you have an approved advanced parole. otherwise uscis will have deemed that you have abandoned your i485 filing.

Dear leongsce,
I was wondering that how long would it take to get an approved advanced parole. ? and i heard we could apply for work authorization too?(I am now in F1 visa). I just sent my DSP 122 and barcode and photographs, so how long would it take for my 2NL to arrive. What should be my next step? and where can i get the list of documents that i will have to prepare? Thanks for your help. Good luck to you.

Dear leongsce,
I was wondering that how long would it take to get an approved advanced parole. ? and i heard we could apply for work authorization too?(I am now in F1 visa). I just sent my DSP 122 and barcode and photographs, so how long would it take for my 2NL to arrive. What should be my next step? and where can i get the list of documents that i will have to prepare? Thanks for your help. Good luck to you.

hi sdang003,
i believe that if you file for advanced parole and employment authorisation/ead (i131 and i765), separately from your i485, you will need to pay for those applications. pls double check because i am not so sure. the link is below.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
but if you file for ead and ap with your i485, it's free. from most of the other posters signatures i can see that you may receive your ead and ap in about a month from submitting your i485.
i assume you will be doing aos. my 2nd nl came in about 2 months. basically it's a letter from kcc acknowledging that i intend to adjust status and they will no longer handle my case and uscis will take over and some instructions on mailing 1st nl to usics. so your next step is basically wait for the 2nd nl.
the list of docs that you need to prepare ... check these links:
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/application.html
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=ff053d146a7ee010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD
and the first page of 2010 dv aos only thread posted by blue.
all these will be helpful to you. all of us who are doing it ourselves used these resources to submit our i485.

good luck.

Hi all,

Thanks for posting all the useful information. Just by reading these threads I have found out what steps my wife and I need to take to start the AOS process, without having to call or make an appointment with USCIS, etc.

One thing I have not seen discussed though is the $45 fee (Immigrant visa security surcharge, for all IV and DV applicants) listed on the "Fees for Visa Services" webpage at travel dot state dot gov. Does anyone know if that needs to be submitted at the time we pay the $375 fee?

Thanks!

When exactly do you have to send the AOS fee to the DOS?
I just sent the letter to KCC but haven't received an answer yet.

Hi all,

Thanks for posting all the useful information. Just by reading these threads I have found out what steps my wife and I need to take to start the AOS process, without having to call or make an appointment with USCIS, etc.

One thing I have not seen discussed though is the $45 fee (Immigrant visa security surcharge, for all IV and DV applicants) listed on the "Fees for Visa Services" webpage at travel dot state dot gov. Does anyone know if that needs to be submitted at the time we pay the $375 fee?

Thanks!

nncu,
we are not aware of the $45 fee (maybe it's new) ... i did see it in the uscis website though. so far all of us who has paid up for the aos process has paid $375 to dos for the dv fee, $1010 (930 i485 + 80 biometric). uscis has accepted that. maybe you should just do what we did.

When exactly do you have to send the AOS fee to the DOS?
I just sent the letter to KCC but haven't received an answer yet.

sob
you may send the $375 dv fee to dept of state in missouri anytime ... you will need the stamped receipt when you send in your aos packet.
the fiscal year is not over yet so maybe they will only start sending out 2nd nl from oct onwards. that letter will acknowledge your intention to do aos and will transfer your case to uscis.

From what I have seen in the 2010 AOS only thread, most NL2s started coming in around August, for some it was a month or so earlier, and some received it around October, I believe case number also matters, when I inquired KCC about this, they said it is "first come first serve". I don't know if he meant that for forms or case numbers. But, the 2010 trend shows it will not be until around August.

Thanks

I got the 2nd letter form KCC today and they transfer my case to USCIS. What should I do next? Should I go to local USCIS or wait until October?

Thank you very much!!!

I got the 2nd letter form KCC today and they transfer my case to USCIS. What should I do next? Should I go to local USCIS or wait until October?

Thank you very much!!!

aken
follow the instructions on the letter - submit a copy of your nl to the nearest uscis office where you live.

This is unnecessary and serve no purpose. Read the 2010 AoS forum and understand the process.

nuvf,
i have read the forum and have been following it for almost a year. i can truly say that i have gained a lot from reading about everyone's experience. but at the end of the day, the applicant himself will have to decide what is best for him and his case. each one will have to make their own intelligent and educated decision into what is best for him to do.

but in the acknowledgement letter from kcc that they will transfer the case to uscis, there is an instruction that states that we should send the selectee notification letter to the nearest uscis office from where we live. i understand that this serves no real purpose other than to inform the local office that you intend to adjust status and your case will be sent to that office for adjudication. i believe the aos process after you submit the i485 package will also route your case to the local office once it has cleared the service centers.

therefore what i am suggesting is per the instruction in the letter. so if the applicant feels no need to submit it then the choice is his but i will follow instructions to the hilt, i do not want them to fault me for not doing so.

Hi leongsce and NuvF

I appreciate your kindly answer:) The 2nd letter do ask me to go to local USCIS and inform them I intend to adjust status. I will go to USCIS today. I will read the 2010 AOS forum and try to understand the process. Hopefully, they won't ask me go home and come back on October. When I got my 1st KCC letter, I went yo local office and they did nothing but just asked me come back on October.......

Thanks again! Have a nice weekend

Regards

Aken

nuvf,
i have read the forum and have been following it for almost a year. i can truly say that i have gained a lot from reading about everyone's experience. but at the end of the day, the applicant himself will have to decide what is best for him and his case. each one will have to make their own intelligent and educated decision into what is best for him to do.

but in the acknowledgement letter from kcc that they will transfer the case to uscis, there is an instruction that states that we should send the selectee notification letter to the nearest uscis office from where we live. i understand that this serves no real purpose other than to inform the local office that you intend to adjust status and your case will be sent to that office for adjudication. i believe the aos process after you submit the i485 package will also route your case to the local office once it has cleared the service centers.

therefore what i am suggesting is per the instruction in the letter. so if the applicant feels no need to submit it then the choice is his but i will follow instructions to the hilt, i do not want them to fault me for not doing so.

Thank you very much!!!

CONGRATS!!! You are one of the first ones on this thread to get the NL2!!! I would also go with what is asked for rather than doing nothing, better be safe than sorry later...Good Luck and let us know how it goes!