• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Tuscany,
Good to hear from you pal. Hang in there, there is plenty of time. You are not alone and we are a family. wait till the 8th and then call or make an infopass.

Sundaram,

I have called both KCC & USCIS, the information is that from the date the NOA is issued, or acted on, in my case its October 8, USCIS have one month to send out the Biometrics notice, if not, the applicant can call to escalate the pending case to receive prompt attention and action. I will therefore wait till November 8, if i don't get the biometrics notice by then i will call USCIS to find out what's going on. I know without a doubt that the reason for the delay is bacause of the processing congestion at Baltimore field office. My advice to people with Baltimore as their field office is to be VERY VERY PATIENT!!! Feild offices with fewer cases or larger workforce will get the AOS cases processed faster, at the end, the routes might be different but the destination is the same. Thanks for asking though. My doctor diagnosed my AOS condition and prescribed a medicine called "Chill-Pill" it works and its free, we all need it while hoping for the best.

good luck!
make sure you'll have everything ready for your interview... :)

Update: Thanks to Izzy, I called the FBI today and found out that my fingerprint/name check has been cleared and returned to USCIS yesterday. I guess the name check can be cleared as quickly as the same day that you go in for your biometrics.

Also, a note to others, I had to call twice because the first time I forgot to tell the lady that it was for a green card and she asked for my SSN, but didn't give me any definite answer and told me to contact my local office if I needed info. The second time, I told the operator that it was for a green card and she asked for my A number and then gave me a really clear answer - when it was received, when it was returned and that it cleared.

I went online to check again for LUD and it now shows as 11/4.

FYI: when you go to the biometrics appointment you CAN take a cell phone with you, but you CANNOT use it in the Application Support Center (despite the fact that the Biometrics letter says "CELL PHONES, CAMERAS, OR OTHER RECORDING DEVICES ARE NOT PERMITTED."). That might be important if you, say, stop at ASC on your way to work, and don't want to leave your cell at home.

Guys, I am on OPT right now and doing volunteer work 20hrs/week. When I report my employment to International Office, am I supposed to receive a new I-20 or not? Or just the one that I got when I apply for OPT is sufficient? Let me know.

good luck!
make sure you'll have everything ready for your interview... :)

Thanks, the only additional documents I had to get at the last minute was 1) a notarized affidavit of support signed by a citizen/PR (in my case it was a friend) along with his employment letter/passport copy AND 2) an updated employment letter from my company.

Guys, I am on OPT right now and doing volunteer work 20hrs/week. When I report my employment to International Office, am I supposed to receive a new I-20 or not? Or just the one that I got when I apply for OPT is sufficient? Let me know.

The OPT i-20 that you have now is sufficient, and you will not get a new I-20 unless 1) you lose this OPT i-20 or 2) you apply for the OPT STEM Extension (only applicable if the degree is science, technology, engineering, or math.

Try to at least get an office job or a paid internship if possible since volunteering doesn't really help with the part where they want you to prove your financial stability and that you will not become a public charge. There are a lot of jobs on www.craigslist.org, monster, hotjobs, etc. Have you tried those? Also, it helps to search for job openings on newspapers.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys

hi guys!!!do you need to update a notarized affidavit of support signed by a citizen/PR with AOS package or on the interview??? thanks!!!

Hi guys,

@onebowloflaska i saw that you did biometrics in sf and got happy to see someone from SF since i am as well.I think it would be great to share experiences of the same field office in SF!I wrote you a private message!

Is anyone else from San Francisco or bay area?
thanks guys!
Good luck to everyone!

Thanks, the only additional documents I had to get at the last minute was 1) a notarized affidavit of support signed by a citizen/PR (in my case it was a friend) along with his employment letter/passport copy AND 2) an updated employment letter from my company.

Hi guys,

I was looking at the I-134 instructions and it says that "For this reason, it is not necessary to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it"

Another thing is that if you are employed, why do you even need I-134? I assume this form is required if you do not have, what they call, sufficient income or financial resources to support your self.

Hi guys,

I was looking at the I-134 instructions and it says that "For this reason, it is not necessary to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it"

Another thing is that if you are employed, why do you even need I-134? I assume this form is required if you do not have, what they call, sufficient income or financial resources to support your self.

I consulted with my attorney about this as well since it clearly state in the instruction that it does not need to be notarized. However, because the instruction on my interview 'documents to bring' states "notarized I-134" she said it's best that it gets notarized when my friend signs it (it's $10 anyways, no biggie)

Also, doesn't matter whether you are employed or not, you still need the I-134 because that's so the government know that a citizen or PR can attest that we do not become a public charge in the future. To put it simply, take for example, let's just say 2 years down the road I become unemployed, and I request for foodstamps or what not... my friend (US Citizen) might become liable to the government since he signed the affidavit of support.

I consulted with my attorney about this as well since it clearly state in the instruction that it does not need to be notarized. However, because the instruction on my interview 'documents to bring' states "notarized I-134" she said it's best that it gets notarized when my friend signs it (it's $10 anyways, no biggie)

Also, doesn't matter whether you are employed or not, you still need the I-134 because that's so the government know that a citizen or PR can attest that we do not become a public charge in the future. To put it simply, take for example, let's just say 2 years down the road I become unemployed, and I request for foodstamps or what not... my friend (US Citizen) might become liable to the government since he signed the affidavit of support.

That's right.

But what if your friend looses a job, who's going to support him. I don't want to be cocky, but I've been on working hard on H1b for 6 years and have more in savings then any of my US citizen colleagues or friends, and it'd ridicules to ask them for the affidavit of support.

We send and prepare so many docs "just in case". I am trying to find logic in the requirements and when I see different instructions from the same thing, it's kind a confusing.

If they want us to get it notarized, of course we will get it notarized, even if in the instructions it's not mandatory:)

If you already have employment I don't understand why they may still want an I-134. Onebowloflaska are you on H-1B status or are you a student right now?
Lisa6 are you planning on taking an I-134 form (notarized or not) for the interview?

Hey guys, and what about those who went through CP? Do they need I-134 too? It is confuse me too. I'm in the same situation as lisa6. And I just want to know if people who works as H1, paying taxes and have account in bank have to prepare that form. It is weird.

If you already have employment I don't understand why they may still want an I-134. Onebowloflaska are you on H-1B status or are you a student right now?
Lisa6 are you planning on taking an I-134 form (notarized or not) for the interview?

I am applying with hubby, who is on H4. I assume they will want I-134 for him and in this case I will be his sponsor and I will get it notarized-shmotirized if they will want it in the interview letter. Even if they won't ask I-134 for hubby, I will still prepare it "just in case". If they will ask I-134 for me, I am not going to do it. W2 for 3years and bank statement I think is more then enough.

My friend did CP last year. No I-134 or other affidavit of support was asked. All he showed is a letter from the bank and current statement with the funds.

I re-read AOS 2010, and even is people were asked in the letter for I-134, they were not asked for in at the interview.

F Status is different. In order for you get F, you need to show affidavit of support, plus you are able to work in campus only, then you probably don't have enough funds and need a sponsor(I guess that's how they think).

That's right.

But what if your friend looses a job, who's going to support him. I don't want to be cocky, but I've been on working hard on H1b for 6 years and have more in savings then any of my US citizen colleagues or friends, and it'd ridicules to ask them for the affidavit of support.

We send and prepare so many docs "just in case". I am trying to find logic in the requirements and when I see different instructions from the same thing, it's kind a confusing.

If they want us to get it notarized, of course we will get it notarized, even if in the instructions it's not mandatory:)

I've been on H1-B for awhile now as well and make more than enough with a good amount of savings. Basically, anyone that is a citizen or PR can sign that affidavit, it's just a formality IMO. I've copied what my attorney sent me below:

Re the Affidavit of Support, the affiant can be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident. The affiant does not have to be a family member. If the affiant earns an income higher than the poverty guideline (for 2010, family of two poverty level is $14,570/year), then the affiant does not need to rely on assets (i.e., bank statements). He can obtain an employment verification letter that includes the date and nature of employment, salary paid, and whether the position is temporary or permanent.

It's really up to you, you can choose not to do it but if the officer ask for it during your interview then your approval might be delayed.

He can obtain an employment verification letter that includes the date and nature of employment, salary paid, and whether the position is temporary or permanent.

All this stuff is very private. That's great if your friend wants to disclose this information.

It looks like they are just using the same old template for interview letters.
If I get an interview letter asking for I-134, I will do the info pass.

those who have read the 2010 forum, was there anyone who was asked for affidavit, but he did not have at the time of interview?

Lisa, Js7 and onebowloflaksa,

There have been few cases last years that the applicant has been asked for affidavit of support. There have also been cases that students with no income and even loan were not asked for one.

This matter is completely up to I/O on the day of interview, they have absolutely every right to ask for one. However, most of the time when the applicant has income, good credit history, enough money saving and high education. They never ask for it.

The interview letter contents are more or less generalized and not case specific. in the interview letter they also mention that the officer might ask for other documents not listed as well and tell you to bring every necessary document. So even if the affidavit of support is not listed in your letter, you might still very well be asked for it.

So now you can just try your best and get one for peace of mind. You can tell the supporter that they are only responsible if you become a public charge, meaning need for food and shelter. They are only going to be responsible to provide you with basics (if it happens). They are not going to be responsible at all if you say apply for a loan, get a mortgage or what not.

as far as the confidentiality of the letter goes, you can tell them to put in a sealed envelope which will not be opened unless by the officer and also tell them if it was not used, you will give it back to them in the same sealed envelope.

You can make an info pass or talk to I/O at the interview session telling them you will not be a public charge because of X,Y,Z... But again, it is up to them to decide what.

I am myself having hard time to get this but you do what you got to do.

Good luck