• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv 2010 winners from kenya

yes trixsam.
I have my cert of Good conduct ready at home. Am just about to start medicals but my 2NL is abit lating but kcc told me it was sent on 12 April and my interview am told is 28 june in Nairobi.

thats good to hear you olready have your cert of good conduct with you......your 2nd NL seems to be taking too long...about six weeks now...im aware one can print the email sent by KCC and
take it to your medicals and even the interview itself......post your Query on Ghanaian and Naija Threadz to get more info on this...you can also contact The U.S Embassy at Nairobi to confirm this...all the best bro

Hi, I'm a Kenyan( currently residing in India), winner of DV - 2010 and a new member to this site. I would like u guys to help me know my status, as in the expected date of interview. My CN is 2010AF00069***

Hi, I'm a Kenyan( currently residing in India), winner of DV - 2010 and a new member to this site. I would like u guys to help me know my status, as in the expected date of interview. My CN is 2010AF00069***

vipi mjamaa....you took so long before you landed here.....but trust me you just landed in the right place....wea are you doing your interview.....if its Nairobi you are likely to be current in August assuming it goes like last year with the 15k jump.....tho your CN is a bit high .....you cannot afford to not get your documents ready coz you you cannot afford Admin Processing(the time after your interview the embassy takes to review your documents before they issue you with your visa ).......keep us posted with your progress...edit your signature like mine below...Naija and Ghanaian threads for DV 2010 are a must go through

Hi trixsam, im fine and planning to do my interview here in India(Chennai to be specific) coz i'll be here till august. nice to get this reply from u. i'll edit my signature after getting the dates right. anyway let's keep each other updated on the dates,i need to have a good preparation for my documents.thanks a lot

Interview Experience For Sebulonde in Nairobi Embassy...........Congrats

I and my husband traveled to Nairobi on the 19th June thou the interview was on the 24th June. We had to do the medicals before the interview. We completed the medicals on the 20th, it took us the whole day. The results were ready for collection the next day. We prayed that we passed the medicals. The lady who briefed us before the meds told us they if they find anything wrong with ya, one is can be put on hold till they are cured. I got so scared!

We collected the reports on the 21st (Friday) and we were just praising God. On Sun, we booked a cab to pick us on Monday at 5am. On Monday we were already on our way around 5:15am. We actually arrived at the embassy around 5:30am. We found 3 people there and as we were getting out of the car, another couple arrived. The gates were opened around 6:30am or minutes to 7am. We went thru the security check, presenting the appointment letters all the way.
Inside the embassy we were the first immigration Visa applicants to arrive. I know this because we were separated in the ques. At around 8, we were around 7 applicants. We were called to window 4 to hand in the papers. They checked all our papers and gave us an invoice to pay $775*2. We paid and brought the receipt to her. We were asked to wait from the waiting area outside and wait to be called. The non- migrate visa applicants were more than 100 and we seemed to have mixed up at this time. We were called to window 5 after 40 mins to have our figure prints to be taken. After this execrise, we went back out and waited.
We were called at window 10 after 10mins.

Co. Goodmorning
Us. Good morning Sir
Co. I need you to swear that whatever you are going to say is nothing but the truth.
Me. I nodded and said I swear and so Did my husband
Co. Sign here.
Me. I did and the same was done for my husband.
Co. This is the initial application and you didn't mention that you were married. Why?
Me. I was not married then but by the time I got ma notification letter, I was married and i informed the KCC about it.
Co. When did you get married again?
Me. 20th Feb ****
Co. Good. Oh! Can I see your pics.
Me. The DVD was confiscated during security checks. ( They told us that, they don't allow any data storage devices inside)
Co. Security, come to window 10. The gentleman came and we gave him the card that they had given us for the DVD pick up. He was back after 5 mins and we went back to window 10. ( They had asked us to sit while we wait.) But during this time, I witnessed, one acceptance for Immigration and 2 denials for non- immigration visas.
At the window, the consular gave back all the original documents apart from the police certificates and gave us a blue form (administrative processing).
Co. I will make my decision wen I have seen your pics later. Please come tomorrow at 1pm.
Me. Fine. That is ok. We will see you tomorrow. I was praying inside.
It took us 2 hours for the whole process to be thru. The actual interview less 10 mins plus waiting for security to bring the DVD.

The next day were called to window 6 by a lady and she gave us the yellow pick up slip. No further qns were asked.

Co. When are you leaving Nairobi?
Me. We wanted to leave today. We have been here for almost a week.
Co. We try so much to issue non-residents (non- Kenyans) visas as fast as we can but we can only do it in a week's time. Is June 1st ok with you?
Me. It's fine ma'am. ( in ma heart; Are you kidding me? Any day is cool) We shall travel back then.
Co. Ok then, I will see you then at 3pm.
Me. Thank you. Bye

We were on cloud 9. Called our parents back home and we praised God all thru the journey back to Uganda.

NB: The interview started before I even knew it. I thout that we could be called into a room with the Co. not at the window when even one is watching and listening. It was smooth and interviewers were great people. The waiting area is so small. On the second day, we were about 30 people who came back with the blue forms. 15 were called back to window 4( this is where we handed them in at first) and they were given back their blue forms. I can't tell why. All the other people called before us were given the yellow slips for pick up.

Interview Experience For Sebulonde in Nairobi Embassy...........Congrats

I and my husband traveled to Nairobi on the 19th June thou the interview was on the 24th June. We had to do the medicals before the interview. We completed the medicals on the 20th, it took us the whole day. The results were ready for collection the next day. We prayed that we passed the medicals. The lady who briefed us before the meds told us they if they find anything wrong with ya, one is can be put on hold till they are cured. I got so scared!

We collected the reports on the 21st (Friday) and we were just praising God. On Sun, we booked a cab to pick us on Monday at 5am. On Monday we were already on our way around 5:15am. We actually arrived at the embassy around 5:30am. We found 3 people there and as we were getting out of the car, another couple arrived. The gates were opened around 6:30am or minutes to 7am. We went thru the security check, presenting the appointment letters all the way.
Inside the embassy we were the first immigration Visa applicants to arrive. I know this because we were separated in the ques. At around 8, we were around 7 applicants. We were called to window 4 to hand in the papers. They checked all our papers and gave us an invoice to pay $775*2. We paid and brought the receipt to her. We were asked to wait from the waiting area outside and wait to be called. The non- migrate visa applicants were more than 100 and we seemed to have mixed up at this time. We were called to window 5 after 40 mins to have our figure prints to be taken. After this execrise, we went back out and waited.
We were called at window 10 after 10mins.

Co. Goodmorning
Us. Good morning Sir
Co. I need you to swear that whatever you are going to say is nothing but the truth.
Me. I nodded and said I swear and so Did my husband
Co. Sign here.
Me. I did and the same was done for my husband.
Co. This is the initial application and you didn't mention that you were married. Why?
Me. I was not married then but by the time I got ma notification letter, I was married and i informed the KCC about it.
Co. When did you get married again?
Me. 20th Feb ****
Co. Good. Oh! Can I see your pics.
Me. The DVD was confiscated during security checks. ( They told us that, they don't allow any data storage devices inside)
Co. Security, come to window 10. The gentleman came and we gave him the card that they had given us for the DVD pick up. He was back after 5 mins and we went back to window 10. ( They had asked us to sit while we wait.) But during this time, I witnessed, one acceptance for Immigration and 2 denials for non- immigration visas.
At the window, the consular gave back all the original documents apart from the police certificates and gave us a blue form (administrative processing).
Co. I will make my decision wen I have seen your pics later. Please come tomorrow at 1pm.
Me. Fine. That is ok. We will see you tomorrow. I was praying inside.
It took us 2 hours for the whole process to be thru. The actual interview less 10 mins plus waiting for security to bring the DVD.

The next day were called to window 6 by a lady and she gave us the yellow pick up slip. No further qns were asked.

Co. When are you leaving Nairobi?
Me. We wanted to leave today. We have been here for almost a week.
Co. We try so much to issue non-residents (non- Kenyans) visas as fast as we can but we can only do it in a week's time. Is June 1st ok with you?
Me. It's fine ma'am. ( in ma heart; Are you kidding me? Any day is cool) We shall travel back then.
Co. Ok then, I will see you then at 3pm.
Me. Thank you. Bye

We were on cloud 9. Called our parents back home and we praised God all thru the journey back to Uganda.

NB: The interview started before I even knew it. I thout that we could be called into a room with the Co. not at the window when even one is watching and listening. It was smooth and interviewers were great people. The waiting area is so small. On the second day, we were about 30 people who came back with the blue forms. 15 were called back to window 4( this is where we handed them in at first) and they were given back their blue forms. I can't tell why. All the other people called before us were given the yellow slips for pick up.

Congratulations trixsam. Glad it all went well. Sounds pretty close to my own experience (in the UK not Nairobi).

Seen a few replies about the absence of East Africans on East African-specific threads as compared to Nigerians and Ghanians - I dont know why, but maybe its becoz very few East Africans generally know about this forum at all and what a great resource it can be. But as has been mentioned before, the Nigerian and Ghanian threads also offer up alot of general information that applies to all that is priceless to know. I used them alot too.

Best of luck all.

While waiting for your interview date, check and cross-check all your documents.

Wendogg

congratulations trixsam. Glad it all went well. Sounds pretty close to my own experience (in the uk not nairobi).

Seen a few replies about the absence of east africans on east african-specific threads as compared to nigerians and ghanians - i dont know why, but maybe its becoz very few east africans generally know about this forum at all and what a great resource it can be. But as has been mentioned before, the nigerian and ghanian threads also offer up alot of general information that applies to all that is priceless to know. I used them alot too.
wendog that was sebulonde expirience but not mine.......good to know you are tracking this info right here coz its important for som1 scheduled for an interview nway all the best....you also need to edit your signauture.........so that you keep us informed of your status
best of luck all.

While waiting for your interview date, check and cross-check all your documents.

Wendogg

Oh yeah, your right trixsam. Just realized you did actually specify "Interview Experience for Sebulonde in Nairobi"

Also, I'm already a permanent resident living in the US (DV2007). This forum helped me so much back then, that I still keep coming back every now and again to see if I can be of any help or encouragement to anyone.

Hi guys, is it compulsory that KCCDV need to contact one after sending the documents back to them to confirm receipt? i sent mine and had to contact them to verify whether they received them in which i got an affirmative response. another query is that should i prepare documents like medical and police report even before i get any intimation from KCC concerning the interview date? I'm asking coz for the former i cant afford to do it before I'm sure i'll attend the interview since i have to cough out some bucks for that. I kindly need some explanations about these issues. anyone pliz help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, is it compulsory that KCCDV need to contact one after sending the documents back to them to confirm receipt? i sent mine and had to contact them to verify whether they received them in which i got an affirmative response. another query is that should i prepare documents like medical and police report even before i get any intimation from KCC concerning the interview date? I'm asking coz for the former i cant afford to do it before I'm sure i'll attend the interview since i have to cough out some bucks for that. I kindly need some explanations about these issues. anyone pliz help me

NO KCC will not contact you after you send them the documents(DSP-122 & DSP-230).....what you did was right coz everyone does that i.e after you send the documents you send them an email to confirm if they were accepted....LISTEN mjamaa start getting your police cert ready NOW belive me you cant afford admin processing coz if i can remember you are doing your interview in India so you need both police certz i.e for India and Kenya too.....As for your number I just looked at the Bulletin for August...ASIA is not current yet and is so unlike Asia coz last year Asia was current from JULY hope things will be better in SEPTEMBER I advice you to start getting your police certs ASAP thats both kenya and India in kenya its Ksh1000 then wait for next bulletin before you go for your medicals .........

ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN AUGUST

For August, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2010 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:
Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 64,300

Except:
Egypt: 26,000
Ethiopia: 25,625
Nigeria: 22,000
ASIA 28,700
EUROPE CURRENT
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 5
OCEANIA CURRENT
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN CURRENT

I expected a bigger jump for Africa compared with the way the bulletin was moving...........you also notice ASIA is moving slowly but come the next Bulletin i bet everyone will be current

Hi Trixsam, thanks for ur reply. i'm glad that u got my point. concerning going for interview will I be treated as an Asian or my case is treated as that of a Kenyan in Asia? i think someone's number i.e AF... is what determines when he/she will head for interview? which police office can I contact in Kenya in order to get the cert? my district police or police headquaters in Nai? you have said that i may go for the interview in Sept as u have checked the bulletin for August, suppose if i change my address and come and do it in Nai do u think it may be a bit earlier than september? the last quiz, is it possible for the interview to be done after September 30th? coz that's the date when everything is winded up by KCC. just want to know these coz I may come to kenya by mid September by God's will. hoping to hear from u.

Hi Trixsam, thanks for ur reply. i'm glad that u got my point. concerning going for interview will I be treated as an Asian or my case is treated as that of a Kenyan in Asia? i think someone's number i.e AF... is what determines when he/she will head for interview? which police office can I contact in Kenya in order to get the cert? my district police or police headquaters in Nai? you have said that i may go for the interview in Sept as u have checked the bulletin for August, suppose if i change my address and come and do it in Nai do u think it may be a bit earlier than september? the last quiz, is it possible for the interview to be done after September 30th? coz that's the date when everything is winded up by KCC. just want to know these coz I may come to kenya by mid September by God's will. hoping to hear from u

Check my answers here:
Hi Trixsam, thanks for ur reply. i'm glad that u got my point. concerning going for interview will I be treated as an Asian or my case is treated as that of a Kenyan in Asia?
Your case will be treated as an African (Kenyan) having his interview in India.

i think someone's number i.e AF... is what determines when he/she will head for interview?
Your CN suggest you qualified from the African region and as such your interview date will be based on when that CN becomes current in the Africa region.

which police office can I contact in Kenya in order to get the cert? my district police or police headquaters in Nai?
Check below for details

you have said that i may go for the interview in Sept as u have checked the bulletin for August, suppose if i change my address and come and do it in Nai do u think it may be a bit earlier than september?
No, you can't have your interview before the month in which your CN becomes current. It doesn't matter which country you want to have your interview - the interview cannot be held before the month in which your CN will become current.

the last quiz, is it possible for the interview to be done after September 30th? coz that's the date when everything is winded up by KCC. just want to know these coz I may come to kenya by mid September by God's will. hoping to hear from u.
No interview can be conducted for dv 2010 winners after September 30. If you want to change your interview location, you have to act fast and do it now before you become current, otherwise it will be too late for you, and don't forget you can't have the interview after September 30.

HOW TO OBTAIN THE KENYAN POLICE CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CONDUCT

FOREIGN CITIZEN (not refugee or alien)
a) Must present him/her self with a certified copy of his country’s passport with documentary prove that he/she ever resided in Kenya for 3 months or more
b) Must pay Kshs.1, 000.00 or its equivalent and obtain the official receipt from our nearest foreign mission or submit the cheque payable to Director of Criminal Investigation at Nairobi Kenya.
c) Must allow his/her fingerprints and palm prints to be recorded on a prescribed form at the nearest Police Station in the present country of residence.
d) The application consisting of original payment receipt or cheque, certified copy of passport , document of prove of resident in Kenya and fingerprints must be forwarded officially with a covering letter from the official fingerprinting agency or Kenyan mission to CID Headquarters Nairobi – Kenya through post or runner.

I'm sure Trixsam will explain it more to you.

Check my answers here:
Hi Trixsam, thanks for ur reply. i'm glad that u got my point. concerning going for interview will I be treated as an Asian or my case is treated as that of a Kenyan in Asia?
Your case will be treated as an African (Kenyan) having his interview in India.

i think someone's number i.e AF... is what determines when he/she will head for interview?
Your CN suggest you qualified from the African region and as such your interview date will be based on when that CN becomes current in the Africa region.

which police office can I contact in Kenya in order to get the cert? my district police or police headquaters in Nai?
Check below for details

you have said that i may go for the interview in Sept as u have checked the bulletin for August, suppose if i change my address and come and do it in Nai do u think it may be a bit earlier than september?
No, you can't have your interview before the month in which your CN becomes current. It doesn't matter which country you want to have your interview - the interview cannot be held before the month in which your CN will become current.

the last quiz, is it possible for the interview to be done after September 30th? coz that's the date when everything is winded up by KCC. just want to know these coz I may come to kenya by mid September by God's will. hoping to hear from u.
No interview can be conducted for dv 2010 winners after September 30. If you want to change your interview location, you have to act fast and do it now before you become current, otherwise it will be too late for you, and don't forget you can't have the interview after September 30.

HOW TO OBTAIN THE KENYAN POLICE CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CONDUCT

FOREIGN CITIZEN (not refugee or alien)
a) Must present him/her self with a certified copy of his country’s passport with documentary prove that he/she ever resided in Kenya for 3 months or more
b) Must pay Kshs.1, 000.00 or its equivalent and obtain the official receipt from our nearest foreign mission or submit the cheque payable to Director of Criminal Investigation at Nairobi Kenya.
c) Must allow his/her fingerprints and palm prints to be recorded on a prescribed form at the nearest Police Station in the present country of residence.
d) The application consisting of original payment receipt or cheque, certified copy of passport , document of prove of resident in Kenya and fingerprints must be forwarded officially with a covering letter from the official fingerprinting agency or Kenyan mission to CID Headquarters Nairobi – Kenya through post or runner.

I'm sure Trixsam will explain it more to you.

Dont i just like the way Ameck09 brings his maturity in the game wen handling issues...thanx ammeck..Now Mjamma you have to follow religiously what Ammeck has said....i had mistook your stay in India with the Bulletin for ASIA.....As Ammeck has said you only follow the bulletin for AFRICA since your number starts with AF....i suppose on the form you indicated that you will be doing your Interview in INDIA so basically you wait till JULY for Africa to be current....Meanwhile get your police cert of good conduct ready hope you have read on how to obtain one as ammeck has posted.....you need to act as fast as you can.....
A question for Ammeck Does one need both police certs for residing country and National Country...what happened in your case and why haven't you collected your visa?

Dont i just the way Ameck09 brings his maturity in the game wen handling issues...thanx ammeck..Now Mjamma you have to follow religiously what Ammeck has said....i had mistook your stay in India with the Bulletin for ASIA.....As Ammeck has said you only follow the bulletin for AFRICA since your number starts with AF....i suppose on the form you indicated that you will be doing your Interview in INDIA so basically you wait till JULY for Africa to be current....Meanwhile get your police cert of good conduct ready hope you have read on how to obtain one as ammeck has posted.....you need to act as fast as you can.....
A question for Ammeck Does one need both police certs for residing country and National Country...what happened in your case and why haven't you collected your visa?

I believe that one needs police certificates from every country they have lived in for at least 6 months over the past 10 years. I've not found information regarding the case for if you havent resided in the country you are a citizen of over the past 10 years, but to be on the safe side, I would get a police certificate for that too. You're better having it and they say they dont need it, than for them asking for it and you dont have it.

Thumbs up for Ammeck for ur clear explanation, but i still have more questions. U have xplained how a foreigner residing in Kenya can acquire the cert in Nai. in my case where I'm away from home how can i do it coz i cant come home to look for that cert. do u know of any other way i can process it? i need to start now coz july isn't far. when returning my forms to KCC, in the part marked Petitioner i was advised to write as N/A 'Not applicable' since i'm a Dv lottery winner and there was no need for a petitioner in my case. do u think I answered that part correctly? do i need an affidavit of support in my case?

Thank you guys for making this site lively, let's continue sharing ideas. They act as eye openers. have a nice weekend

Dont i just like the way Ameck09 brings his maturity in the game wen handling issues...thanx ammeck..Now Mjamma you have to follow religiously what Ammeck has said....i had mistook your stay in India with the Bulletin for ASIA.....As Ammeck has said you only follow the bulletin for AFRICA since your number starts with AF....i suppose on the form you indicated that you will be doing your Interview in INDIA so basically you wait till JULY for Africa to be current....Meanwhile get your police cert of good conduct ready hope you have read on how to obtain one as ammeck has posted.....you need to act as fast as you can.....

My medical results/reports was not ready when I went for the interview hence the delay in issuing the visa. Hopefully I will get it this week.

Thumbs up for Ammeck for ur clear explanation, but i still have more questions. U have xplained how a foreigner residing in Kenya can acquire the cert in Nai. in my case where I'm away from home how can i do it coz i cant come home to look for that cert. do u know of any other way i can process it? i need to start now coz july isn't far. when returning my forms to KCC, in the part marked Petitioner i was advised to write as N/A 'Not applicable' since i'm a Dv lottery winner and there was no need for a petitioner in my case. do u think I answered that part correctly? do i need an affidavit of support in my case?

About the police certificate from Kenya, this is what is stated on the Department of State website on how to obtain the certificate.

To obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct, applicants residing in other countries must send a complete set of rolled and plain fingerprints together with a written request to the Criminal Investigations Department, P.O. Box 30036, Nairobi. Fingerprints should be taken by a local police official and bear an official stamp, or be taken before an attorney and certified. The official should also verify the identity of the individual being fingerprinted by noting the details of the identification document. Fee is 1,000 Kenyan Shillings per application plus return postage, with results available in 4-6 weeks. The fee may also be paid at Kenyan Embassies or Consulates abroad. Applicants in Kenya should apply in person at CID Headquarters in Nairobi. Appropriately registered aliens or refugees that have registered with the Kenyan Commission of Refugees and UNHCR may be issued Certificates of Good Conduct. Undocumented aliens in Kenya are not eligible for a Police Certificate. Check here http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3595.html and http://www.kenyapolice.go.ke/Good_conduct.asp

Also have a look at this website http://www.kenyarep-jp.com/visa/consular_services_e.html

The PETITIONER in dv lottery is the 'Winner' of the lottery. So since you were the winner, your name should have been put there. Even though you failed to write your name there, there is no need to panic and you don't need to do anything about it since KCC is aware of the misinterpretation winners give to this petitioner issue. The affidavit of support is important since you need to demonstrate that you will not become a public charge once you finally settled in the US. You may or may not be asked during your interview - it's subject to the discretion of the interviewing officer. It's advisable to go to your interview with an affidavit of support so in case you are asked to submit one during your interview, you could do so on the spot to avoid putting your case under administration.

I hope the explanations above helps.