• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

yes oh lets give thanks to the almight for what he has began everyone of us will have a succes story by his grace

Hello to all! I have been thinking about this particular issue for too long and I think it's about time I shared with the whole house so that you help me take a better decision in life.
The issue is that, we are planing to move to the State as DV-immigrants but my wife is pregnant. And I have been educated that, given birth in US is advantageous as the child automatically becomes a citizen of US. In view of this I've planned to leave as soon as possible so that she joins me early next year to deliver and by the time she arrives, I might have been able to secure our own apartment.

I think the idea is good but one question keeps on lingering on my mind, that's can we afford our medical bills upon delivery? I understand accessing medical care in US is very expensive.

So I need an advice from anyone who has gone through such experience before and also from anybody who knows how I could make things affordable when my wife joins me. Thank you to you all

Hello to all! I have been thinking about this particular issue for too long and I think it's about time I shared with the whole house so that you help me take a better decision in life.
The issue is that, we are planing to move to the State as DV-immigrants but my wife is pregnant. And I have been educated that, given birth in US is advantageous as the child automatically becomes a citizen of US. In view of this I've planned to leave as soon as possible so that she joins me early next year to deliver and by the time she arrives, I might have been able to secure our own apartment.

I think the idea is good but one question keeps on lingering on my mind, that's can we afford our medical bills upon delivery? I understand accessing medical care in US is very expensive.

So I need an advice from anyone who has gone through such experience before and also from anybody who knows how I could make things affordable when my wife joins me. Thank you to you all

Immano, I think having your wife deliver on that beautiful land is much much much much much better than having her deliver on this sunny and poverty-stricken land. You don't want your child to breathe clear air? When you convince your wife to deliver here and the child grows up to know that, I tell you, he/she will curse you. Don't think of the medical bills and cause disservice to your child. It's not fair. When do you pick him/her then? Please, think twice. God be with you for letting your wife join you in the land of peace for the delivery. Peace! Benniit

I KNOW AS A DV -IMMIGRANT YOU AND YOUR WIFE QUALIFIES FOR MEDICALAID PROGRAMME HERE.ALL WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS HAVE YOUR WIFE SOCIAL SECURITY AND THE GC AND WALK TO ANY SOCIAL WELFARE OFFICE AND HAVE HER REGISTER TO MEDICALAID PROGRAMME.THAT IT.GOOD LUCK.

I KNOW AS A DV -IMMIGRANT YOU AND YOUR WIFE QUALIFIES FOR MEDICALAID PROGRAMME HERE.ALL WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS HAVE YOUR WIFE SOCIAL SECURITY AND THE GC AND WALK TO ANY SOCIAL WELFARE OFFICE AND HAVE HER REGISTER TO MEDICALAID PROGRAMME.THAT IT.GOOD LUCK.

Please make a lot of research on medicalaid as to the state you going to reside.Peace.

I think the only part that you have to research is the prenatal care, because once that is covered the rest will fall on the State as the child automatically becomes US citizen after birth. The child's feeding and medical care will be footed by the State you reside.

I'm sure alexee can pop in here to give his opinion about this issue.

Congrats Immano,
If the delivery is before your wife's visa expires, then you will have to foot the plane fare for the two of them to join you in the US befor the visa expires. The point is, the child's plane fare could as well be used to foot part of the medical bills so it makes sence to take only your wife while she is pregnant.
If the delivery is after your wife's visa expiration, then YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE, you have to travel with her. And she you wouldn't want her to return and deliver since the cost of that can meet the delivery cost.
If your wife is or nearing her last trimester (I think aroung 27 weeks), then you need to move very quickly since the airlines can be funny. Apart from that you also need to think about the health and safety of the mother and the unborn child.
Summary: You have to decide to go to the states together and plan on how you will foot the medical bills.

Hi guys, if you're planning to move over and have no driving knowledge, this is the time to learn before it's too late. My experience here is that without a driving license and a car, it'll be difficult to do anything in some of the States.

Hi guys, if you're planning to move over and have no driving knowledge, this is the time to learn before it's too late. My experience here is that without a driving license and a car, it'll be difficult to do anything in some of the States.

Ammeck you're are right. My sponsor told me the same thing after my interview. But he said with the driving license you will be tested before you're issued with one in US, so driving license from one home country is not needed. So Ammeck, thanks so much for reminding us.

Guys to add to the above, when you get here make sure you open a bank account within the first week because you will need a proof of residency before you can apply for a driving license and a bank statement is one of the documents they consider as proof of residence. As we all know it takes a month to get a statement from the bank so the more you delay the longer the waiting time. For your information you can open a bank account with bank of America with only your passport, they will tell you to come and update your records once you get you social security and green card.

hi,

By the grace of God I and my Wife arrived safely in Ohio on 19th of Oct. we went to the social security office in cincinatti on the 20th oct to apply for our social security number and we just received it today 25th oct 2010. thus it took less than a week. now that our SSN has come, i will be going to apply for my Learners driving permit tomorow. well i came with an international driving license ut i dont know if it can be used in the state of Ohio.is any of you stay anywhere nearby cincinnatti ohio?

Thus anyone know if international driving license can be use in US?

hi,

By the grace of God I and my Wife arrived safely in Ohio on 19th of Oct. we went to the social security office in cincinatti on the 20th oct to apply for our social security number and we just received it today 25th oct 2010. thus it took less than a week. now that our SSN has come, i will be going to apply for my Learners driving permit tomorow. well i came with an international driving license ut i dont know if it can be used in the state of Ohio.is any of you stay anywhere nearby cincinnatti ohio?

Thus anyone know if international driving license can be use in US?

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/
This is the official website for the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/new_resident_info.stm
New residents should check the above web address - this talks about those from other states who have moved to Ohio, normally referred to as "out-of-state". I don't know about those holding foreign licenses but if you have any question you may contact this telephone number (614) 752-7500

hi all,, hop everythin is well? i have been searching for job for some time and i tell u its not easy ooo. well im in minnesota tryin to find sumfin to do

Hi delay021, Have received your SSN already? If you have, i will advice you search everywhere and continue filling more applications on the net. My SSN is still not ready so cant even fill any application still, but i've already stated some cleaning job with my host who owns cleaning company so sometime i join them and i've already started making some money. Do anything for the start and after saving some money you can change your job. God be with you.

Hi delay021, Have received your SSN already? If you have, i will advice you search everywhere and continue filling more applications on the net. My SSN is still not ready so cant even fill any application still, but i've already stated some cleaning job with my host who owns cleaning company so sometime i join them and i've already started making some money. Do anything for the start and after saving some money you can change your job. God be with you.

hi all,, hop everythin is well? i have been searching for job for some time and i tell u its not easy ooo. well im in minnesota tryin to find sumfin to do

Hi delay, you have to exercise some patience since getting a job is not a two or three weeks matter.

thanks guys, we follow your exchange with keen interest.

i side with you my2011, for this thread will never die since life doesn't end after getting to the promise land but what goes on there too needs to shared for us coming selectees to know what we should be expecting when we are there.
thanks guyz and galz and may the Lord's FAVOUR continue to be showned on you always.

Hi JKO,
It good to know that you have started making some money.
you havnt received you SSN? when did you apply?did you apply personally at a Local SSN office in you area? if not, pls go to any local SSN office and apply now. i went to local SSN office and applied on 20th oct and it came on 25th oct.

by the way which state are u?