• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

Same thing happened to me. We came in in the first week of December also but did not get our GCs until I worried them seriously through the phone and also visited the USCIS in my area. Can you believe that they quickly sent welcome notices to us and follow up with GCs within two days. Thereafter, they still sent welcome notices again and today, we still receiced letters from them asking if we have received the cards and directing us on what to do, if not.

Expect such delays if you changed your address at POE and most times, if you come in through JFK. That was what happened to us.

Take the following 2 steps and you shall soon get your cards:

(1) Call USCIS on 800-375-5283 and pick the following options (1) for english then (2) for those who want to enquire on their applications then (3) for those who have lost their receipts(dv applicants dont have receipts). After these options, a customer service person will pick the phone and ask for your details. We you came in, a number was written on your passport which starts wit letter A. That is your alien number, the officer will ask for this and other details and tell you to wait for their response in the next 45 days. relax, they will print your GC that same day, if not done already.

(2) Log on to www.uscis.gov and click on to 'make an appointment(infopass)'. this will lead you to where you can book appointment with USCIS in your area where they will take your details and tell you when to expect your card, if in process, or they will direct them to attend to your case.

To address the issue of Social Security Number, where you applied for it matters. If you did while in Nigeria or at the POE, it might delay at little bit and you cant apply for it twice. However, I went straight to their office in my area to apply and got it after 3 days. Whatever the case, visit their office in your area and they will help you out. Just log into www.socialsecurity.gov to check the status of your application or visit them.

Relax, it is well

Guys, this is good information from the Nigerian thread. Please it's better we make a copy or bookmark this page so that we can refer to it in case we are face with such a situation in the future.

Alexee,

It was pretty straightforward. The US Embassy in Ghana is very well organized. Just make sure you have all your documentation with you with regards the information in the packet that was sent and you should be fine. Also make sure medicals are completed (and if you have family, make sure those are done too). You would have to go for a second round of vaccinations so if you have not done that, not a problem at all -- the Embassy would understand. If you go to Holy Trinity, they give you a big X Ray which u don't have to take to the embassy since everything is in the envelope the clinic will give u.

FIRST MEETING
So I went in first time round -- had to deal with some rude security guards., went through an airport-like security screening (gotta check in remote car key and cell phone)...and entered the premises. I was kept waiting in the yard for a good 30 mins or so before my name was called to enter the Waiting Area inside in front of the Consular windows.

You will be requested to go to Window 1 where someone will tell u about the lottery rules, and whether u want to go ahead and fill out the paperwork to start the official process. They will give you a sheet of paper to fill out to verify the information you put on your E-DV --ie whether u were single, married and whether u qualify through either education or employment. Afterwards, you will be directed to pay the 775 dollars (u can pay in cedis at I think 1.5 Cedis to 1 Dollar -- the rate may I have changed but I think thats what it is still is).

There again, I had to wait for 30 mins to be called into a small room where a Ghanaian-American Consular (very nice gentleman) will ask you to give him all your information -- photocopies of all your documents that are required as well as originals of all the certificates requested for. You can be yourself and casually talk to the man since he is genuinely a good person and wants you to achieve the best results.

Afterwards, you have to go and wait for another hour or more if u are not lucky until your name is called and then you proceed to the window for an interview. An American will interview you, asking you to swear to tell the truth. She will interview you and go through your documents with you, ask you questions that pertain to you and then tell u to go and sit back down.

Then, you will be called to a different window to have your fingerprints taken.

After that, you will have to sit down to wait again to be called by the American who interviewed you who will let you know whether the visa can be issued or you have documents missing. I had some of my documents missing since i simply forgot to bring them with me so they said I had to go back in 3 weeks with the missing documentation and photocopies.

I left the embassy with a blue sheet (on the blue sheet, it indicates what documents are missing) and passport and they kept all my required documentation which I had submitted already.

SECOND MEETING
Went through the airport security again and greeting by a very stupid guard who had big time issues. After that..I had to go sit outside in the courtyard for a good 45 mins before being called by the Guard to come sit into the waiting area inside.

In there, I had to wait for a while since my name was not called. Afterwards. my name was called and this time, it was a different American Consular I was talking to. I handed over all the missing documents with photocopies and was told to go sit down and wait.

After 3 hours or so, I was called to the window again. I was told the visa was going to be issued but had to wait till January 15th since it was Xmas and because they had to do quite a number of visas. I was asked not to travel until I got my passport and then they asked me if I had any questions. I told them I wanted to go to South Africa in June for the World Cup and wanted to know if I left the US in that timeframe whether it would be a big issue or not. The American Consular said I would have to discuss that with the Immigration Officer when I get to the United States and he would advise me of what documentation I would need. She said most likely, I would get the Permanent resident cup by then so its most likely I will be able to be in SA to watch the World Cup with a clear conscience :)

I went to pick up the Visa on Jan 15th..passport with a big brown envelope that should not be opened -- opened by only the Immigration Officer at Port of Entry.

Said my goodbyes, and I was on my way out of there....

CN: 2010AF00013XXX
E-DV Sent: 21st November, 2008
NL Dated: 24th March,2009
NL Rcvd: 4th April 2009
Forms Sent to KCC through US relative: 12th May 2009
Courier Confirms Delivery: 20th May 2009
KCC Confirms Receipt: 21st May 2009
2nd Letter received: 4th October 2009
Interview: 30th November 2009
Had to get complete documentation so interview rescheduled to 23rd December 2009
Visa Pickup: January 15th 201

I picked up my visa last Friday. Just wanted to say that this forum was exceptionally helpful. Sorry I just started responding to responses --- it was so hard registering for this thing lol

Had to get complete documentation so interview rescheduled to 23rd December 2009
Visa Pickup: January 15th 2010[/QUOTE
]

Hi americanman,

Congratulation for your successful interview, a detail interview experience would be much appreciated.

Alexee,

It was pretty straightforward. The US Embassy in Ghana is very well organized. Just make sure you have all your documentation with you with regards the information in the packet that was sent and you should be fine. Also make sure medicals are completed (and if you have family, make sure those are done too). You would have to go for a second round of vaccinations so if you have not done that, not a problem at all -- the Embassy would understand. If you go to Holy Trinity, they give you a big X Ray which u don't have to take to the embassy since everything is in the envelope the clinic will give u.

FIRST MEETING
So I went in first time round -- had to deal with some rude security guards., went through an airport-like security screening (gotta check in remote car key and cell phone)...and entered the premises. I was kept waiting in the yard for a good 30 mins or so before my name was called to enter the Waiting Area inside in front of the Consular windows.

You will be requested to go to Window 1 where someone will tell u about the lottery rules, and whether u want to go ahead and fill out the paperwork to start the official process. They will give you a sheet of paper to fill out to verify the information you put on your E-DV --ie whether u were single, married and whether u qualify through either education or employment. Afterwards, you will be directed to pay the 775 dollars (u can pay in cedis at I think 1.5 Cedis to 1 Dollar -- the rate may I have changed but I think thats what it is still is).

There again, I had to wait for 30 mins to be called into a small room where a Ghanaian-American Consular (very nice gentleman) will ask you to give him all your information -- photocopies of all your documents that are required as well as originals of all the certificates requested for. You can be yourself and casually talk to the man since he is genuinely a good person and wants you to achieve the best results.

Afterwards, you have to go and wait for another hour or more if u are not lucky until your name is called and then you proceed to the window for an interview. An American will interview you, asking you to swear to tell the truth. She will interview you and go through your documents with you, ask you questions that pertain to you and then tell u to go and sit back down.

After that, you will have to sit down to wait again to be called by the American who interviewed you who will let you know whether the visa can be issued or you have documents missing. I had some of my documents missing since i simply forgot to bring them with me so they said I had to go back in 3 weeks with the missing documentation and photocopies.

I left the embassy with a blue sheet (on the blue sheet, it indicates what documents are missing) and passport and they kept all my required documentation which I had submitted already.

SECOND MEETING
Went through the airport security again and greeting by a very stupid guard who had big time issues. After that..I had to go sit outside in the courtyard for a good 45 mins before being called by the Guard to come sit into the waiting area inside.

In there, I had to wait for a while since my name was not called. Afterwards. my name was called and this time, it was a different American Consular I was talking to. I handed over all the missing documents with photocopies and was told to go sit down and wait.

After 3 hours or so, I was called to the window again. I was told the visa was going to be issued but had to wait till January 15th since it was Xmas and because they had to do quite a number of visas. I was asked not to travel until I got my passport and then they asked me if I had any questions. I told them I wanted to go to South Africa in June for the World Cup and wanted to know if I left the US in that timeframe whether it would be a big issue or not. The American Consular said I would have to discuss that with the Immigration Officer when I get to the United States and he would advise me of what documentation I would need. She said most likely, I would get the Permanent resident cup by then so its most likely I will be able to be in SA to watch the World Cup with a clear conscience :)

I went to pick up the Visa on Jan 15th..passport with a big brown envelope that should not be opened -- opened by only the Immigration Officer at Port of Entry.

Hi Americanbound,

As your name suggest, you are indeed american bound. That was very detailed but would be happy if you can let us know the kind of questions you were asked and the answers you gave. Congrats once again man.

With regards to the questions, it varies according to your application.

E.g. They didn't ask me any questions out of the ordinary...just my name, where I went to university, and that was it. I had all the documentation required and that was it.

If you have everything sorted out, they wont ask you anything. It's only when they are suspicious of your application or they want to verify thats you on the documentation, then they will ask u all sorts of questions.

Just make sure your application is legitimate and you qualify for the lottery and meet all the requirements in the packet. And you will be fine.

Visa Pickup: January 15th 201o

With regards to the questions, it varies according to your application.

E.g. They didn't ask me any questions out of the ordinary...just my name, where I went to university, and that was it. I had all the documentation required and that was it.

If you have everything sorted out, they wont ask you anything. It's only when they are suspicious of your application or they want to verify thats you on the documentation, then they will ask u all sorts of questions.

Just make sure your application is legitimate and you qualify for the lottery and meet all the requirements in the packet. And you will be fine.

Visa Pickup: January 15th 201o

Thank you very much bro. If that is the case, then i think i will sail through.

Hi guys,
I am really impressed abt. Americabound's interview. it looks so easy. We must pray and come out so easily like our brother. And I knw we shall all give such testimonies in turns. Lets pray for the Lord's favour and the victory will be ours.

I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGHTENS ME (PHIL. 4:13)

Alexee,

FIRST MEETING

SECOND MEETING

AmericaBound, thank you for finally sharing your interview experience with us. I hope it will help a lot of us here.

Hi guys,
I am really impressed abt. Americabound's interview. it looks so easy. We must pray and come out so easily like our brother. And I knw we shall all give such testimonies in turns. Lets pray for the Lord's favour and the victory will be ours.

I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGHTENS ME (PHIL. 4:13)

That is it!

Hi ammeck09,

I agree with u totally. We have to pray for mykoko and computeck. Whilst computeck will go for his interview on the 28th or 29th mykoko will also pick up his visa on the 2nd.

Let's remember them in our prayers.

Thanks alexee357. I would keep on praying for you and computek. Your interview is getting close. I know you guys would come back with good news.

Hello House,

I got a reply to the mail i sent to US Embassy (Ghana) today. Below is the reply.

Thank you for your email inquiry dated January 13, 2010, concerning your DV application.

Our records show that your DV interview is scheduled on February 16, 2010, at 7:30 am. At that time you will have the opportunity to discuss the issue of your name with the interviewing Consular Officer.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you.

Sincerely,

U.S. Embassy Accra

Consular Section

As a result of this, i intend going to the embassy on my interview day with hard copies of the mail correspondings between myself and KCC to serve as evidence to my name aside my birth certificate.
I'm saying this cos i used my correct surname to enquire from them the reciept of my visa application form and also my interview date which day responded.

Any other advice will be much appreciated.

Hello House,

I got a reply to the mail i sent to US Embassy (Ghana) today. Below is the reply.

Thank you for your email inquiry dated January 13, 2010, concerning your DV application.

Our records show that your DV interview is scheduled on February 16, 2010, at 7:30 am. At that time you will have the opportunity to discuss the issue of your name with the interviewing Consular Officer.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you.

Sincerely,

U.S. Embassy Accra

Consular Section

As a result of this, i intend going to the embassy on my interview day with hard copies of the mail correspondings between myself and KCC to serve as evidence to my name aside my birth certificate.
I'm saying this cos i used my correct surname to enquire from them the reciept of my visa application form and also my interview date which day responded.

Any other advice will be much appreciated.

I think you don't need to do anything else. Just wait during your interview, explain it to the consular that you did not notice the mistake until at a later stage and you even sent a email to kcc. Go with a copy of the email and I think it will be sorted out for you. It is not anything difficult, some people have more difficult things to clarify but they still went through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you don't need to do anything else. Just wait during your interview, explain it to the consular that you did not notice the mistake until at a later stage and you even sent a email to kcc. Go with a copy of the email and I think it will be sorted out for you. It is not anything difficult, some people have more difficult things to clarify but they still go through.

Just make sure that whatever you say to the Consular, you can prove with documentation.

If you can't prove anything with sufficient documentation, don't bring the subject up.

I think you don't need to do anything else. Just wait during your interview, explain it to the consular that you did not notice the mistake until at a later stage and you even sent a email to kcc. Go with a copy of the email and I think it will be sorted out for you. It is not anything difficult, some people have more difficult things to clarify but they still go through.

Hi ammeck09,
Thanks very much for your advice

Just make sure that whatever you say to the Consular, you can prove with documentation.

If you can't prove anything with sufficient documentation, don't bring the subject up.

Hi AmericaBound,

Good to know that you're kicking. I've prepared very well so I'm sure i can provide document to back whatever i'll say that day. Thank you very much.

Alexee,

FIRST MEETING

SECOND MEETING

Congrats on you successful interview. Let's all pray and hope for the best for members of this forum.

Good to hear tweeny (naija) has passed her interview. We await the interview experience of computek which we know it's gonna be positive and mykoko collecting his visa on the 2nd. God bless you all.