• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hey guys, i got 2 questions. Do you send a copy of the I-20 along with the forms to chicago? I got a problem filling out the I-765 form: question 16) which category are we? what about question 17?

Hi bianfid,

1) Yes, you have to send the copy of your I-20. It is the basis to show you have maintained your status in the US especially if you are a student. If you were a student, then it just shows you had maintained status all the time. If you do not send it, it may delay your case if they want to see it before they schedule the interview. So don't take any chances.

2) For Q16 on I-765, you want to write (c)(9)() - the last will be left blank. (See I-765 instructions, page 5, item 7(A).

3) For Q17 on I-765, write 'N/A'

I am starting to get concerned now. No updates on my case and I had my interview a month ago.... Everyone else is having a smooth ride but me :confused:.
I have infopass appointment for Monday. I don't know if they will be of any help but I'll take my papers and my passport with me.
So I have a question. How long does it take to review the case again once they receive the ROE document. They received my document on 11/30 according to USPS.

By the way congratulations to everyone whose cases have been approved.

simpleman,

As someone suggested in a previous post, if the IO cannot answer just say you do not understand and see if you could talk to a supervisor or something ... bottom line ... make sure you get a satisfied response. All the best to you.

Update: I received the Advance Parole for my daughter. The online LUDs have been changing a lot on her case even though the current status is the same as before "Initial Review".

Congrats i2009. It is always good to hear progress. Hope that you get the interview letter soon.

thx June620..do u have any idea about how to get the birth certificate translated by a certified translator? My english is pretty fluent to do it but they require a certified one :(

Daima already answered your question when you posted it the first time. Another way is to do the translation and if someone at your university (professor) is fluent in that language let him certify it and write a letter to that effect and get it notarized (university usually have notaries, so the professor can sign it in front of them).

Hi all,

I have some questions regarding the form i 134. Do i have to provide any other documentation other than the form ( maybe a copy of the sponsors passport etc.) Would it be enough if have someone fill out he form only?

Thank you, and good luck to all of us ...

As you may see in the instruction of I-134, under "Supporting Evidence" that a letter from bank is required with certain information, also a letter from the sponsor's employer (if he is employed by someone) and if he is self-employed then the tax records. Please see the instructions for exact details.

Also, if the sponsor is GC holder, then make a copy of the GC ( I had the Driver license copy too). If the sponsor is US citizen, then copy of the US passport or naturalization certificate.

Hi Diama
My wife is the winner for the DV2010 and she is in F2 status so she is the primary winner and me F1 the spouse.
She only has her I-20 and i-94 plus the Visa and the passport
Is this enough to proof he status
Does she need anything more from my school?
i didn't tell my international advisor about anything yet and she is new in this job and look like that she don't have good experience so I don’t like to ask her for anything to avoid any problems.
I can only get a letter from the register office regarding my enrolment classes for the spring 2010

What is your advice?
Thanks

Your wife's status is dependent on your status. So with the evidence of your wife's status, include your copy of I-20 and related proof of you staying in status (copy of current enrollment and good standing from the registrar office along with transcripts). I would put this in her file as part of evidence of maintaining valid status and would mention it in writing. I had sticky paper at the bottom of the document explaining their purpose so that the IO knows exactly why it was included instead of trying to figure it out.

I didn't tell my international adviser till i got the GC. So don't tell them anything yet. All the best and i am sure Daima will give her input too.

Thank you Cooldude
Good to have you in the forums even after you got our GC
Until now this forum is very very good in helping each other
It help us to avoid mistakes and track the progress in each case
i think if every one of us did his AOS alone we will have many problems with the USCIS.
We don't know each other but we have one goal.
Thanks for everyone

F1 status - things done after GC

Hi everyone,

This will be of interest for those who are of F1-status after you receive your green card. Things you want to do:

1) Inform your international student center (they will make a copy of your GC) so that they can remove your F1 status.
2) Go to registrar office and file for residency: you will most likely be asked for employment verification for 1 year (TA or RA, you should be able to get it filled from your department), lease for 1 year, GC, DL, and of course fill out the residency paperwork you will receive from the registrar office.
3) Update your status with HR Dept. at your University. In our university they have a program called Glacier, we have to update it and give it to the HR dept.
4) Give a copy of your GC to your dept. HR representatives so your appointment goes through and everything is taken care of.
5) This one you can do first too ... go to SS office and have the restriction on the SS card removed. You will fill out the SS-5 form again. Make sure you have two identification with you: DL and GV would be fine.

If someone else wants to add other things ... please do so. Hope it helps others plan their way after GC.

Hi everyone,

This will be of interest for those who are of F1-status after you receive your green card. Things you want to do:

1) Inform your international student center (they will make a copy of your GC) so that they can remove your F1 status.
2) Go to registrar office and file for residency: you will most likely be asked for employment verification for 1 year (TA or RA, you should be able to get it filled from your department), lease for 1 year, GC, DL, and of course fill out the residency paperwork you will receive from the registrar office.
3) Update your status with HR Dept. at your University. In our university they have a program called Glacier, we have to update it and give it to the HR dept.
4) Give a copy of your GC to your dept. HR representatives so your appointment goes through and everything is taken care of.
5) This one you can do first too ... go to SS office and have the restriction on the SS card removed. You will fill out the SS-5 form again. Make sure you have two identification with you: DL and GV would be fine.

If someone else wants to add other things ... please do so. Hope it helps others plan their way after GC.

1.In order to be considered for the in-state tuition, do we have to wait after we get the GC, or the previous residency without GC counts?

2.Even if we are not considered as a in-state, can we still get Financial aid, right after we get the card ( considering i have no tax return at all) ? I asked Financial Aid office several times but they kept saying" come back when you get the card "

Thanks

(btw what does "HR" refers to ? )

1.In order to be considered for the in-state tuition, do we have to wait after we get the GC, or the previous residency without GC counts?

2.Even if we are not considered as a in-state, can we still get Financial aid, right after we get the card ( considering i have no tax return at all) ? I asked Financial Aid office several times but they kept saying" come back when you get the card "

Thanks

different scool have different policy.

i have a different case.. Since i am running out of budget, i file residencey, after i get the NOA. And they approved for that. But i am not eligible for Financial Aid at that time.

i have to get my greencard to eligible for financial aid....
that's what the officer said

Hi Diama
My wife is the winner for the DV2010 and she is in F2 status so she is the primary winner and me F1 the spouse.
She only has her I-20 and i-94 plus the Visa and the passport
Is this enough to proof he status
Does she need anything more from my school?
i didn't tell my international advisor about anything yet and she is new in this job and look like that she don't have good experience so I don’t like to ask her for anything to avoid any problems.
I can only get a letter from the register office regarding my enrolment classes for the spring 2010

What is your advice?
Thanks

I think what you have is sufficient to show that you and your wife have been in status. Since you're still in school, a letter of good standing can also help.

All the best.

Thanks

As June said, every school's policy is different. But as far as Financial Aid, yes, you need your green card. They actually verify your A# with the DHS, so unless your I485 is approved, your status will not say PR.

HR means Human Resources.

Good job, Cooldude. I actually need to do some of the things in the list.

Hi everyone,

SSN

So they will actually remove the "Can not work without INS authorization?" I thought so, but someone told me that they don't remove it, actually a friend of mine applied for a SSN as a PR and her card came with a restriction. So I was confused, and thought I'm not going to bother changing it, but I guess I will go to the SSA Office and ask.

SSN

So they will actually remove the "Can not work without INS authorization?" I thought so, but someone told me that they don't remove it, actually a friend of mine applied for a SSN as a PR and her card came with a restriction. So I was confused, and thought I'm not going to bother changing it, but I guess I will go to the SSA Office and ask.

Hi Daima,
Can you update us after you go to the SSA office? since it is really confusing for us to update the SS#

Thanks

1. For me, previous residency counted and i got letter from university saying residency approved for spring semester.

2. I don't know about financial aid, but as others mentioned you probably need the GC to receive financial aid.

Sorry about the abbreviation, it means Human Resource.

SSN

I am glad i was of help (in providing the list to help others):). Yes, i went to the SS office and i filled out the SS-5 form and went to the window and told the person that i need to get a SS card without the restriction of work mentioned on it. They do need the GC to make sure, which i had. I hope when i get it in the mail it would not have the restriction notice written, if it has ... i will go back.

Did any of you guys who were waiting for interview as i am got their interview or not?

I keep waiting and waiting and I am confused. I did not go to immigration last week because i had some problems!!!!

What days do they work ? Do they work for holidays?

Did any of you guys who were waiting for interview as i am got their interview or not?

I keep waiting and waiting and I am confused. I did not go to immigration last week because i had some problems!!!!

What days do they work ? Do they work for holidays?

Try to make an appointment with Infopass through the uscis.gov website. When you do, you will find out the days they are open (as you will be selecting from available days). Good luck.