• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

But an F1 student can also be rejected if she/he doesn't have the proper documentation such as a sponsor. So what are you saying in that case? That she/he will have to reapply for an f1 visa again?

If we just for a second forget the F1 issue....without a sponsor, funds, or a job offer your chances of being eligible are just a lucky shot...and depends on the person who will check your papers and do the interview.

So if you can't provide any proof on that, you better think again on going any further. I know it sounds harsh, but better safe than sorry....

If you have proof, than read what i2009 posted and go from there, and/or ask a good immigration lawyer for advise...maybe it will cost you a couple of hundred $, but if you later on need a lawyer that lawyer is familar with your case and might be able to help you out....:)

If we just for a second forget the F1 issue....without a sponsor, funds, or a job offer your chances of being eligible are just a lucky shot...and depends on the person who will check your papers and do the interview.

So if you can't provide any proof on that, you better think again on going any further. I know it sounds harsh, but better safe than sorry....

If you have proof, than read what i2009 posted and go from there, and/or ask a good immigration lawyer for advise...maybe it will cost you a couple of hundred $, but if you later on need a lawyer that lawyer is familar with your case and might be able to help you out....:)
Come on, bentlebee, there is really no need to make a drama out of it - formally you do not have to prove your funds to get approved. Especially for F1 graduate students who presumably have a great chance of getting the job after graduation and getting GC. So let's not make each other nervous given that most of us are still waiting for our interview appointments.

Come on, bentlebee, there is really no need to make a drama out of it - formally you do not have to prove your funds to get approved. Especially for F1 graduate students who presumably have a great chance of getting the job after graduation and getting GC. So let's not make each other nervous given that most of us are still waiting for our interview appointments.

College grads must work even harder to find jobs

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...higher+unemployment&cd=39&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Just google it and you find a lot on this topic and on the news....

Some people who already had their interview had to come back with a sponsor form filled out, so we can be optimistic or realistic and I rather be both.

College grads must work even harder to find jobs

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...higher+unemployment&cd=39&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Just google it and you find a lot on this topic and on the news....

Some people who already had their interview had to come back with a sponsor form filled out, so we can be optimistic or realistic and I rather be both.
bentlebee, I don't need to google something I am going through myself these days. I am just saying that there is no need to add additional stress to somewhat stressful situation we are already in.

Just ignore my post or be naive...others have thanked me for the info and some have doubt it and later read that the few who had their interview were asked about the form....

Just ignore my post or be naive...others have thanked me for the info and some have doubt it and later read that the few who had their interview were asked about the form....

Ok guys relax, we are all here to gather all the help and information we can get. I think that an affidavit of support is not required. However, an old adage says that it is better to prevent than to cure. So, better have it on a side and hope not to be asked for that than not to have it and be asked for it. Just my opinion.

I will send my package today or tomorrow. Quick question though: I am on H1-B. I applied for I-140 through employer and got approved. I have not applied for AOS yet since i am EB-3 based and i have to wait for the EB-3 cases to be current. In the I-485, what do i answer to the question of "have you ever applied for permanent residence before". I was planning to say yes and put a note that i applied for I-140 and got approved. I-2009: I remember once you mentioned that it can also be no since i never applied for AOS. Any experience/suggestion on this? Or does it really not matter since i will put the note. Thanks a bunch.

Is it true what you are stating ? are we sure 100% that it is the law ?

Hello happy,

Sorry, I meant removal proceedings even though the AOS application could trigger a deportation proceeding as well.

Anyway, I am not 100% sure of this. I have read some documents that talk about these cases. It seems that there are contradictory information regarding the non-immigrant visas (other than H and L) and the Adjustment of Status. I think that the best course of action would be to consult with an immigration lawyer in the case that there are doubts of the applicant's eligibility.

Here are some links that deal with the subject:
http://www.murthy.com/news/n_f1saos.html
http://forums.immigration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17654&d=1224390750
http://forums.immigration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17597&d=1221351232

I hope these links help

I will send my package today or tomorrow. Quick question though: I am on H1-B. I applied for I-140 through employer and got approved. I have not applied for AOS yet since i am EB-3 based and i have to wait for the EB-3 cases to be current. In the I-485, what do i answer to the question of "have you ever applied for permanent residence before". I was planning to say yes and put a note that i applied for I-140 and got approved. I-2009: I remember once you mentioned that it can also be no since i never applied for AOS. Any experience/suggestion on this? Or does it really not matter since i will put the note. Thanks a bunch.

Hello cm1979,

In your case I would answer NO to the question "Have you ever before applied for permanent resident status in the U.S.?". If you want you can attach your I-140 approval notice to the package and/or comment about it in your cover letter.

Good luck!!!!

Thanks i2009 for all these very useful informations !

Hello happy,

Sorry, I meant removal proceedings even though the AOS application could trigger a deportation proceeding as well.

Anyway, I am not 100% sure of this. I have read some documents that talk about these cases. It seems that there are contradictory information regarding the non-immigrant visas (other than H and L) and the Adjustment of Status. I think that the best course of action would be to consult with an immigration lawyer in the case that there are doubts of the applicant's eligibility.

Here are some links that deal with the subject:
http://www.murthy.com/news/n_f1saos.html
http://forums.immigration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17654&d=1224390750
http://forums.immigration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17597&d=1221351232

I hope these links help

Upss....

In your signature Yaku, You meant to say that you completed the biometric on the 11/09 not 10/09 right.
Thanks, yes I think it is a good thing to post our office, like that we can estimate the processing time.

:eek: U are right my friend.
now is ok :D

Hello cm1979,

In your case I would answer NO to the question "Have you ever before applied for permanent resident status in the U.S.?". If you want you can attach your I-140 approval notice to the package and/or comment about it in your cover letter.

Good luck!!!!

Thanks I-2009. I will say no to it instead of yes. I will still put a note that says that i applied for I-140 before.

Good luck to you as well and to everyone!!

Hi Bentlebee,

Do you mean to say that people were not asked for the Affidavit of Support form in the Interview letter but they were asked to show it at the Interview? That kind of seems unfair!

Hi Bentlebee,

Do you mean to say that people were not asked for the Affidavit of Support form in the Interview letter but they were asked to show it at the Interview? That kind of seems unfair!

It is like a bit of a grey area...it is mentioned but not stated as mandatory...if you read some post from the beginning of Oct. you can read that some have been asked for the form and some even for the different one than I-134 which is suppose to be for DV lottery.

As i2009 stated about the F1 visa and the issues described in the posts before, that is also kind of a grey area...

Every one has to remember that immigration laws are out there but every person's case can be a bit different.

Some have overwhelming proof of a good job with enough salary so they won't have an issue, another has enough savings and no issues and some one else can have no HS diploma but the job requirement, but doesn't speak English....and what we have read before that can trigger issues...also not having funds, no job and sponsor can be a huge issue.

Before having a College degree would help a person since students with a degree were almost sure about a job so no questions were asked or just a few....now the economy is bad and if you incl. people who are out of benefits, others who lost working hours but are still working with less income, students leaving school with a degree, elderly who lost much of their retirement funds and need a job...the unemployment is at a 17% right now..
(official percentage in FL. is 12% not incl. anybody else otherwise it is around 19%)

So no one is sure of a job anymore...last week a friend of our family was layed of from a job at Wallstreet and decided to go back to grad school which healready had planned....jobs are not for grabs, so USCIS has to prevent people entering the US on GC and ending up with no money to support them self for the fist couple of months when they have no SSN (maybe a couple weeks later they have) and still need to pay for a living, food, car or public transportation to get to an interview....and not being able to get a loan.

Still many manage to get here, but you need to be prepared before you go to the interview...bring more than you need...the more and better the proof the more chances you have they won't ask questions...

Others have done it so can you:)

I haven't recieved any sort of interview appointment letter today either. It is getting interesting. I did infopass for Monday 16th, november. We will see...