• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Affidavit of support

Hi NuvF, Capeolive and all:

Just a quick question. My sponsor for the affidavit of support is US citizen but do not have US passport and is citizen by birth. Do I need to get a copy of birth certificate as support of evidence? In the form it says if you are not citizen by birth then privide all those info. or I will not need a copy of birth certificate?

Appreciate your help.

thanks NuvF

Reading this forum gave me a strength to do on my own. Thank u guys for your help

Looks to me you are one of those who thinks lawyers can do miracles for you.
IMHO, you are alright. Go ahead without much worries. Read and learn from the forum ppl's experiences.

The initial 'arguments' with a 'not so knowledgeable' IO are as good as the 8 CFR clauses that you can show yourself just as much a lawyer would do.
Hire a lawyer, if you think they will deny you and you are gonna fight to the end within USA using appeal process and/or the imm. courts.
But if they deny anyways, then there's a simpler alternative.....switch to CP. Your CN is low so you have ample time. You are on H and no worries of returning even if CP go bad!
See what I mean? you have nothing to loose!

Just my 2c, its your call.

Best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi winnerdv11,

I am not suggesting you that you do your process
with a lawyer. Just talk to several lawyers to make
sure your past incident considered being out of status
or not. Due to the SEVIS system if you had been out
of status you wouldn't have been able to continue your
school all alone.

Just make sure how it is considered and then in either
case you will have options...

I was thinking about Joseph Demott. But I do not know he does dv cases or not. I had a bad experience with one of his team (not him) in the past when I applied for my I-140 for my previous EB case. I had to switch over to another Lawyer from NY and NY lawyer said I will never get approved my I-140 if I have sent the documents prepared by one of the Demotts lawyer. I sacrificed about 2500 dollar for that lawyers doing nothing. When the NY lawyer took over, within 3 months my I-140 got approved.
Now I am reluctant to go to that lawfirm again. Although I am thinking to go one more time to see what they say. I know Joseph demott is a good lawyer but I have a doubt with other lawyers within his firm. His office is across the local USCIS office. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to hire this one than other ones since he is close to USCIS office?

FYI: I didnot ask my NY lawyer becasue he is not in TX and also he does not practice DV AOS.

Thanks guys

Hi winnerdv11,

You still have enough time. It is very important that you
keep your cool and do not panic. It is also important to
talk to as many immigration lawyers as possible.

Hi maila,

It won't hurt to get it but it is not a requirement.
Since you are going overseas I would suggest that
if possible get it to be on safe side...

Hi NuvF, Capeolive and all:

Just a quick question. My sponsor for the affidavit of support is US citizen but do not have US passport and is citizen by birth. Do I need to get a copy of birth certificate as support of evidence? In the form it says if you are not citizen by birth then privide all those info. or I will not need a copy of birth certificate?

Appreciate your help.

hello all and thanks for responses

I still have questions about EAD and I-134 whether they're needed for me. I'm on F-1 visa and work as a GRA and have at least 4 years to finish my study based on my I-20. Students can not work out of campus so I'm not sure why one should apply for EAD. I have read that some also take I-134 to their interview (which is not mentioned in USCIS website), and I don't understand the reason. if it is needed who should sign the form? I'd be grateful to hear from you.

thanks

Hi js7,

You do not have to file I-765 (EAD) and
I-131 (Travel Document).

As for I-134 it will be wise to get it by the time of your
interview. The reason according to USCIS website is:

Purpose of Form :
To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and
will not become public charges while in the United States.
The sponsor must file a separate affidavit for each applicant.

The DV AOS application is made a complicated one
because it is not possible to get all the information
needed at one source. There are not enough officers
who are experienced in the whole DV AOS process neither
at KCC nor at USCIS. Most of the law firms do not have enough
experienced attorneys as well.

So, most of the applicants are on their own. It is vital
that you do your homework and learn the process for
yourself. At least read this thread from the first page,
take notes and have a file. Keep studying there are so
much to learn and not much time...

hello all and thanks for responses

I still have questions about EAD and I-134 whether they're needed for me. I'm on F-1 visa and work as a GRA and have at least 4 years to finish my study based on my I-20. Students can not work out of campus so I'm not sure why one should apply for EAD. I have read that some also take I-134 to their interview (which is not mentioned in USCIS website), and I don't understand the reason. if it is needed who should sign the form? I'd be grateful to hear from you.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone!
I am sure it has probably been posted at least twelve times on this forum but I was looking for a template of Employment Letter and was wondering if any of you had one?
Thank you for your help!

Congratulations chooti for your interview and document production. Your card is on its way.

Sorry guys I've been really busy and can't keep up with all the posts.

Capeolive, is everything ready for the coming Friday?

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi Capeolive,

I'm still waiting my interview letter. :( Now I'm really worried about it. I check my case status everyday, it doesn't change to Soft LUD since I did my Biometric. I called KCC, they said USCIS didn't request my file yet. So I feel I left so behind. I think they put my case somewhere and forgot about my case forever.
In this case what should I do? I went to my local CIS office, they told me "wait, you will be fine". It wasn't helpful at all to me. And what you think, if I send my EAD and 131 applications to Chicago Lockbox (first time I didn't file them), it may help to remind them my case file?! My status F1. Or does it take more longer on F1?
And about visa number. Local CIS officer told me, "once you got visa number, you don't worry about time. It won't expire on Sep 31" Now I'm puzzled. Do I have a visa number? Once a case number current means visa number issued to the person?! I have no idea about visa number. Anyways, what should I do to move my process forward? Please help me.

Hi suu5,

you might want to try calling the NCSC, talk to an agent (tell them your concerns - they'll tell you the usual stuff) then request to be transferred to an upper level agent/supervisor. Those guys know more and can relay your concerns to the NBC or your field office. I did just that and I was assured that they will send me an official response by mail in a week or so. Then, my interview letter was sent after two days. I'm not sure whether my actions effected this outcome or if my letter was in the works all along but it gave me a peace of mind, that's for sure.

Give it a shot and all the best.

PS: it might pay to sound distressed but very respectful nontjeless.

Hi FrenchiC,

There is not a specific way of preparing an employment letter.
But it should show your salary, duties, employment period etc.

There are some samples that might help you...

-------------------------------

Dear Sir or Madam:

This is to certify that Mr. xxxxxx is a regular full time permanent employee at our company name .

Mr. xxx has been with us since xxxx. Since xxxx (EAD start date), he is in the position of xxxx (title mentioned in LC) with annual salary of xxxxx (salary mentioned in LC) . His job duties include xxxxxxxxxxxxx(included the job duties mentioned in LC).. Mr. xxxxx is a valued member of our staff.

We respectfully request you to grant him approval of the I - 485 Application/Immigrant Visa in order for him and his family to obtain their permanent residency status soon. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
President/ Director/Vice President
Signature
Name

xxxxxxxxxxx

-------------------------------------

Dear Sir or Madam:
This letter is written to confirm that [name of individual] is currently employed as a [postdoctoral
research associate, research scientist] in the Department of ____________________ at the
State University of New York at Buffalo at an annual salary of $ ___________ paid through the
Research Foundation. [Name of individual’s] salary is paid through a research grant funded by
________. This grant [insert the appropriate language from the selection below] and is
expected to continue beyond the expiration of the current grant.
- has been continually funded for ____ years
- is a high priority for funding (explain why)
- is a new field of research that is receiving considerable attention from funding agencies
(explain why)
- has been identified as having strategic importance nationally (explain why)
- is in an field that addresses a critical societal need (explain why)
The offer of employment to [name of individual] is of indefinite duration and one in which there is
a good expectation of continuing employment.
If [name of individual] is granted permanent residence, it is my intention to continue to employ
him/her in this capacity.
Should you have any questions or need further information, please contact me.
Sincerely,
Name
Title

--------------------------------------

Dear Sir or Madam:

This letter is to confirm that <your name> will be employed with us on full time, permanent basis upon receiving approval of his permanent residence application. He will receive an annual salary of no less than <annual salary>. His job title will be <job title>, and he will be performing the following duties:

Develop full life-cycle object oriented software, including analysis, design of application's specifications, documentation of software user requirements, development of programming using C++ and/or Java languages, Windows NT, design of graphical user interfaces and Object-Oriented Databases(OODBMS) using OMT Methodology, testing and implementation.

Please feel free to contact us if your office should require any further information.

Sincerely,

-------------------------------------

Always read the information thoroughly and apply it
to your specific situation. Good luck...

Hi everyone!
I am sure it has probably been posted at least twelve times on this forum but I was looking for a template of Employment Letter and was wondering if any of you had one?
Thank you for your help!

Hi Suu5,

For now it is too early to panic. You could have applied
around June 10 but you applied on July 19 so you lost
40 days. But by doing a walk-in biometrics you saved
some time.

There is still enough time you have already done your
biometrics. Sometimes applicants do not see any soft
LUDs at all. By soft LUD a mean only the change of date.

At some rare situations depending on where you are from
and your name name/back ground check takes longer.

For now try to call USCIS and find out if your biometrics
were OK. If you can talk to a second tier person ( a supervisor)
you can get more information. Also do a once a week InfoPass,
they also have their supervisors and they got more access.

There are different things that can be done but since your number
got current in August it is still early. If you don't get interview letter
by September 1 then you should contact your congressman and immigration
ombudsman in Washington DC.

For now little more patience...

P.S. In order to get your card your case has to be approved by
September 30 2010...

I'm still waiting my interview letter. :( Now I'm really worried about it. I check my case status everyday, it doesn't change to Soft LUD since I did my Biometric. I called KCC, they said USCIS didn't request my file yet. So I feel I left so behind. I think they put my case somewhere and forgot about my case forever.
In this case what should I do? I went to my local CIS office, they told me "wait, you will be fine". It wasn't helpful at all to me. And what you think, if I send my EAD and 131 applications to Chicago Lockbox (first time I didn't file them), it may help to remind them my case file?! My status F1. Or does it take more longer on F1?
And about visa number. Local CIS officer told me, "once you got visa number, you don't worry about time. It won't expire on Sep 31" Now I'm puzzled. Do I have a visa number? Once a case number current means visa number issued to the person?! I have no idea about visa number. Anyways, what should I do to move my process forward? Please help me.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience Shariifka,

What does NCSC stand for? I don't know about it. I think I should make a call to these guys. How did you find their contacts, phone number. Do they care all the states? I'm in San Francisco, California. Could you may give the number that I can contact with them.

Appreciate a lot.

Hi suu5,

you might want to try calling the NCSC, talk to an agent (tell them your concerns - they'll tell you the usual stuff) then request to be transferred to an upper level agent/supervisor. Those guys know more and can relay your concerns to the NBC or your field office. I did just that and I was assured that they will send me an official response by mail in a week or so. Then, my interview letter was sent after two days. I'm not sure whether my actions effected this outcome or if my letter was in the works all along but it gave me a peace of mind, that's for sure.

Give it a shot and all the best.

PS: it might pay to sound distressed but very respectful nontjeless.

Thank a lot Capeolive,

I appreciate all your concerns and thoughts. I think I should ask lawyer to help me out to make a contact with USCIS or other upper level supervisors. I don't where I start to contact them. How you guys know about all contacts of all important staffs? Just curious. And also I'm so glad I found you guys here.

Thank you so much

Hi Suu5,

For now it is too early to panic. You could have applied
around June 10 but you applied on July 19 so you lost
40 days. But by doing a walk-in biometrics you saved
some time.

There is still enough time you have already done your
biometrics. Sometimes applicants do not see any soft
LUDs at all. By soft LUD a mean only the change of date.

At some rare situations depending on where you are from
and your name name/back ground check takes longer.

For now try to call USCIS and find out if your biometrics
were OK. If you can talk to a second tier person ( a supervisor)
you can get more information. Also do a once a week InfoPass,
they also have their supervisors and they got more access.

There are different things that can be done but since your number
got current in August it is still early. If you don't get interview letter
by September 1 then you should contact your congressman and immigration
ombudsman in Washington DC.

For now little more patience...

P.S. In order to get your card your case has to be approved by
September 30 2010...

What does NCSC stand for? I don't know about it. I think I should make a call to these guys. How did you find their contacts, phone number. Do they care all the states? I'm in San Francisco, California. Could you may give the number that I can contact with them.

Appreciate a lot.

No problem. Actually, Capeolive and I are telling you the same thing. NSCS (National Customer Service Center) are the people who answer calls at USCIS. It's actually USCIS-NCSC and the # is 1-800-375-5283 (you probably already know that # and might have called them before).

Best of luck, again.

Thanks to you all who have been so helpful. Our interview went very well AO did not ask much questions and she approved it and said that check your mailbox your card is on the way and told that we will get it within two weeks. Feeling so fantastic.
Thank you capeolive.
Hi teamworks,

You have my best wishes and prayers for
your interview tomorrow. Come back with
good news. Please, keep us posted...

Hi teamworks,

Congratulations on your successful interview.
And you did it in Washington D.C. Don't forget
it took Sogdian almost 8 months at the same FO.
Another reason for being thankful. I hope the cards
you are about to get serves you and your family the best.

Please, also inform us when you get your cards.

If you post your NOA and BIO time I will add it
to my list which I will post by the end of the
Fiscal Year. Hopefully the information would help
future applicants.

We have to do our part as others have done it before.

Thanks to you all who have been so helpful. Our interview went very well AO did not ask much questions and she approved it and said that check your mailbox your card is on the way and told that we will get it within two weeks. Feeling so fantastic.
Thank you capeolive.

Hi suu5,

There is no need to panic you just did your biometrics
less than two weeks ago. At this point if you go higher up
people or establishments you won't have any chance.

For now do what I tell you:

1. Schedule 2 infopasses. Fist one next week
and second one beginning of September.

2. Call USCIS about the same time also two times.

3. Call KCC also two times.

Hopefully you will get your interview letter by the
beginning of September. If not I will provide you
information on what to do in case you don't get
your letter...

Thank a lot Capeolive,

I appreciate all your concerns and thoughts. I think I should ask lawyer to help me out to make a contact with USCIS or other upper level supervisors. I don't where I start to contact them. How you guys know about all contacts of all important staffs? Just curious. And also I'm so glad I found you guys here.

Thank you so much