• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Hello everybody,
I have a similar problem like a few of you. I sent DV-fee to the following address
U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

and I got a letter stating that fee is not accepted at that location. That is address given in KCC letter. I made Western Union money order (to the order of Department of State) for two people . They made it like $500 + $250. Please advice.
Best Ersoy

That was actually the correct address, I sent the fee to the same address and they accepted it. I sent a cashier's check though. I suggest that you send a cashier's check to the same address:

1 - fill out the form included in your first KCC notification letter (page that says "adjustment of status fee payment")
2 - include a stamped, self-addressed envelope
3 - include your $750 cashier's check.
4 - send everything to:

US Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
PO Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

Good luck

Hi,

We had the same experience like yours. I think your switch to Cashier check is appropriate. Delay in paying your Diversity Visa fee will not affect your AOS application. However, earlier the better.
In our case, the bank employee wrote our case # in some areas within it, which I do not remember. I think there is nothing to worry about as you have additional paper to send to DOS which includes your case number.

:)
Soms

OK, we just decided to go with cashier's check and send it to the same address. Since we already got the fee returned once we are little bit nervous now and as result we started to to question everything and even satrted to ask primitive questions. One of them as follows. Where should we write the case # on the cashiers check? they wrote it as a second line where they write "pay the order of" just under **U.S department of state**
We wanted them to write it just after the senders name but they said there was no place for it there. At this moment we don't want to take any risk as we cannot wait 2 more weeks to get the check back again. Any information on this is appreciated.
ersoy

I have a question. I came to the states as a F1 student and I have been working on campus. I won the DV lottery and I submitted the AOS application. Now, I graduated last month (May 2009) and instead of applying for OPT based EAD (like most students do), I applied for I-485 based EAD. I did not apply early, I actually applied 10 days after I graduate (usually students apply up to 90 days before graduation). I continued working on campus after I graduated without knowing that I dont have the right to work before I receive my EAD. I was told just yesterday that I cannot work. My question is:
1 - What is my current Status (F1 or I485 adjustee)?
2 - Did I fail to maintain my legal status by working 4 weeks on campus after I graduated without EAD?
3 - What happened If I continue working (cause I need money to survive)?
4 - Will that affect my AOS application? i.e. will the interviewer ask me about my status after graduation?

I appreciate your help

I have a question. I came to the states as a F1 student and I have been working on campus. I won the DV lottery and I submitted the AOS application. Now, I graduated last month (May 2009) and instead of applying for OPT based EAD (like most students do), I applied for I-485 based EAD. I did not apply early, I actually applied 10 days after I graduate (usually students apply up to 90 days before graduation). I continued working on campus after I graduated without knowing that I dont have the right to work before I receive my EAD. I was told just yesterday that I cannot work. My question is:
2 - Did I fail to maintain my legal status by working 4 weeks on campus after I graduated without EAD?
4 - Will that affect my AOS application? i.e. will the interviewer ask me about my status after graduation?

I appreciate your help

Why is there so much time between the letters received and the fees paid? just curious, since it seems that yours is taken a lot of time...Maybe just normal, but I'm just wanted to ask?

I appreciate your help

I don't know that much about immigration law but from the little that I know you might have saved yourself all this headache by applying for OPT, 3 months before your graduation date. You were technically out of status when you kept on working. You are technically adjusting status but cannot work until you get the EAD. You can continue to work without it at your own risk. I would cross my fingers that the adjudicating officer dealing with your case doesn't get into it or just overlooks it. I don't know much about it but I know there are certain cases where they may ask someone to just pay a fine.

I appreciate your help

U should be good. If the interviewer asks u about ur work history, just tell him u were working your 20hrs/wk on campus and that would be it. I wouldnt worry about it.

We received interview letter. Husband time is different from wife by one hour, however same date & place.

Based on the above are our queries:
1. IS THIS NORMAL, ie time different for husband & wife?
2. SHOULD WE GO IN TOGETHER?
3. WE STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED BIOMETRICS LETTER, but received Interview letter. IS THIS NORMAL?

This can happen for anyone. Therefore, if anyone can answer these queries, the BENEFIT WILL FOR OTHERS READING AND FOLLOWING THIS FORUM.

Once again BEST OF LUCK & BEST WISHES.
REGARDS

Interview

We received interview letter. Husband time is different from wife by one hour, however same date & place.

Based on the above are our queries:
1. IS THIS NORMAL, ie time different for husband & wife?
2. SHOULD WE GO IN TOGETHER?
3. WE STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED BIOMETRICS LETTER, but received Interview letter. IS THIS NORMAL?

This can happen for anyone. Therefore, if anyone can answer these queries, the BENEFIT WILL FOR OTHERS READING AND FOLLOWING THIS FORUM.

Once again BEST OF LUCK & BEST WISHES.
REGARDS

my wife and I have interview 3 hrs apart but we are going together. I have read somone's posting here that he had interview before he received the biometrics.

First I want to Thank to everyone that ever posted in this forum, it has been extremely helpful. After reading everything here, talking to 4-5 lawyers and preparing really well I was hoping that everything will go smooth and fast but... is that actually possible.

We sent everything on May 2, one big package with 2 separate folders for my wife and me, she being the DV winner. Apart from all the required documents for AOS we sent forms I-131 for each of us. My wife received her permission to Travel a week ago on June 12 and instead of receiving mine this week I received a Request for Initial Evidence saying the following:
In order to process your application further submit a completed signed Form - I-864 Affidavit of Support for the petitioner/sponsor listed on Form I-130 or Form I-129F. Even if a joint sponsor will be used the petitioner/sponsor must submit Form I-864.

You must submit the information within 87 days to the following address: US Department of Homeland Security, PO Box xxxxx, Lee's Summit, MO 64002. Failure to do so will result in a denial

So in a few words they are looking at my application as if it is family-based and not DV Lottery based. Form I-864 is not required for Diversity immigrants, I have the Memo and we did submit 2 forms I-134 for each of us written by an American friend of mine.
Also we never submitted the forms they mention in their letter - I-130, I-129F(they mention form I-765 as well which we did NOT submit either) and I am not sure if anyone looked at our case at all -
-It says on the first page of the AOS application that is DV lottery case.
-It is explained in the Cover Letter.
-We have not submitted the forms they are mentioning in their letter - I-765, I-130 or I-129F
-We have already submitted two Affidavits - forms I-134
-From their letter it is not clear who should write an Affidavit from I-864 for whom.

I wonder if the people working for Immigration are even reading the applications we send them or is it the other thing...

Anyway an advice will be highly appreciated. I am considering mailing them the Memo saying that I-864 is not required for Diversity Immigrants and explaining them that this is not family-based AOS. Or should I just have I-864 submitted and if yes who should sign it - is it my wife for me or is it my friend for me or for both of us.

I have read quite a few cases in the forums of people being asked for this form I-864 for the interview or at the interview but I do not remember of any case until now of someone being requested this from I-864 at this earlier stage to be mailed to USDHS.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I appreciate your help

Check this

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87120.pdf

Non-approved Green Card

Hi Guys,

This week we were very busy. First we realized that INS ordered our Green Cards except our little daugter. So we wonder why ? Finally an envelope come for Biometrics appointment for our little one again. I'm very suprised because we have already did it together. So we went there and they made everything again. That time I realized that when we were there first time, they didn't take fingerprint for my little one. That time i was asked them and they said she is so small and it's not necessary I think somebody made a mistake. In the evening we received an e-mail from INS about "Card Production Ordered". Finally all our Green Cards approved.

We hope everything all right after this.

June 25, 2008 : 2nd Letter KCC
December 5, 2008 : Medical Exam
December 8, 2008 : $375*4 fee to DOS
December 20, 2008 : DOS Receipt
January 16, 2009 : AOS package to Chicago
January 28 , 2009 : Checks cashed
February 2 , 2009 : NOA
February 7, 2009 : Biometrics letter received
February 18,2009 : Biometrics Done
March 26,2009 : Interview letter received for May 6
May 6,2009 : Interview completed.
June 15,2009 : Card production ordered.Except our little daugter.
June 17,2009 : Welcome notice arrived except our little daughter.
June 18,2009 : Biometrics appointment for our little one again.
June 19,2009 : Biometrics done for our little daughter.
June 19,2009 : Finally card production ordered for our little daughter.

Waiting for our Green Cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
gregorry,

It looks like they made a mistake. The financial support document, they sometimes ask for, is the I-134. You should do an InfoPass and try and talk to a supervisor or someone who's dealing with your case. If they are treating your case as something else but a DV case, it may go into a different processing time-frame, and you don't want that. As far as I know, the I-864 is suppose to be done by a relative in the U.S. Most DV based AOS applicants don't have any relatives in the U.S. Good luck!

ItsoFototo

Thanks a lot for the reply, I will schedule an InfoPass right away. I didn't do it because it seemed my case is not in New York City yet and I thought the officers here will not be able to help me because of that but I'll do it anyway.

Seems like we are both situated in New York and submitted the applications at the same time.
Good luck to you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabie80

I appreciate your help

Why is there so much time between the letters received and the fees paid? just curious, since it seems that yours is taken a lot of time...Maybe just normal, but I'm just wanted to ask?

Because I sent my application too early, so I had time to submit the DV fee way after I submited the AOS package

U should be good. If the interviewer asks u about ur work history, just tell him u were working your 20hrs/wk on campus and that would be it. I wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks for help

I don't know that much about immigration law but from the little that I know you might have saved yourself all this headache by applying for OPT, 3 months before your graduation date. You were technically out of status when you kept on working. You are technically adjusting status but cannot work until you get the EAD. You can continue to work without it at your own risk. I would cross my fingers that the adjudicating officer dealing with your case doesn't get into it or just overlooks it. I don't know much about it but I know there are certain cases where they may ask someone to just pay a fine.

Thanks, I understand that in any case I will not loose my green card opportunity just because of this

I will keep posting how my problem will be resolved since I think it may be helpful for other DV winners.

We did the InfoPass today as well as I managed to talk to a lawyer on the phone for a couple of minutes. The Info Pass guy had to go talk to a Supervisor before being able to understand the situation and answer my questions.
At the end they both gave me the same advice. To send a letter explaining that this is a DV Lottery case - DV Winner letter attached and that I-864 is not required with the Memo for that attached as well.
BUT at the same time to send the Form I-864 they are requesting because even though it is not required for DV Lottery they can request it again and again... I do not know if that is because they don't know or just can't be bothered or who knows what happened.

In any case I filed 2 Forms I-864 for each one of us with all the supporting evidence required from the joint sponsor, copies of the originally filed forms I-134, the Memo, the DV Lottery winner letter, and a Cover Letter explaining that this is a DV Lottery case and not a family Based Immigration case and repeating it 5-6 times with all the case numbers, names, A numbers included.

I hope this will help and my case will keep moving, there isn't that much time left considering how long it takes these days for them to order/print the card after the interview.:(
By the way the IO told us that my wife's case is already being processed but mine is stuck which I find weird. I didn't understand if her case is already in the regional office if it is on its way or what exactly he meant.

After such a pointless delay I am really not sure anymore if we will manage before Sept 30th. The case can get stuck for no reason whatsoever at any level of this whole process and not move for months. I guess at the end it all comes down to luck, let's hope it works out.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gregorry,

I hope your case gets resolved soon with a positive outcome. Remember that you have the option to contact your senator, if it's not resolved soon, and that helps most of the time.

So, you don't know if your case, and your wife's case, have been transfered to the local office? Where are you suppose to send those I-864 forms? They should be able to tell you if your file is there, in local office.

At my last InfoPass, they told me that my case has been transfered on June 1st, currently on the 8th floor, and that my background check has been cleared. I feel like it's taking a long time to get the interview notice, since the case has already been transfered?

You can do as many InfoPass appointment as you want. For a case follow-up, you can get an appointment for the next day. And if you live close to the local office, I say do it and get as much information as you can. Good luck and keep us posted with the progress of your case.

ItsoFototo,

Thanks for helping out, it seems this thread is not as popular as it used to be, not many people are posting lately.

My case is in Missouri, I included the address in my original post. I guess my wife's case is here, we will go check again next week.

It really takes too long for the interview, maybe it depends on who your IO, if they are very busy. Some people got the interview within 2 months others 4-5 months, it's totally unpredictable. The most important part I think is to be lucky with the IOs taking care of your case. :mad: