• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

I went for a visit to my local immigration office on friday for other information or services and it was a little dissapointing. Although the gentlemen was friendly and helpful. I dont know how much of this information applies to each of you but below are my questions and responses.

I concurrently filed AP and AOS based on DV in October this year. I have heard nothing back about the progress of my AP and I wish to travel overseas before christmas, do you think it will come in time? Ans: I would say it is highly unlikely, AP takes about 3-5 months and you only filed in October.

Is there anyway to speed the process up or no at what point it is in for processing? ...No, the file is not here and is not handled by our office for AP applications.

I have an appointemnt for my AOS on December 15th, ive heard that you can be approved on the spot and have your passport stamped so that you can travel O/S? ...This does not often happen, it can sometimes take a few days after your interview until the case is officially approved/denied. I would talk to the immigration officer on the day of the interview and explain your situation so that he could consider stamping your passport.

I have yet to recieve a letter for biometric appointment and have my interview in a few weeks. i put in a service request becasue it had been more that 30 days, can you tell me the status of this?.. Your file is still in misouri and has not been transferred to this office yet. They handle all appointments over there and hopefully you will recieve a letter soon since you put in a service request.

what if I dont recieve the apointment letter in time, I cant be approved for AOS until this is done? Thats correct, but after your interview the immigration officer can call over to the application support center and schedule you for an appointment that day.

I've heard you can do walk in appointments, can i do one today so that it is taken care of? All the fingerprinting is completed at the ASC which is a different office from this one. You will need to wait until you recieve an offical appointment. I can not give you thier number but if you find it out and call them, I can not see a problem with that,

Ok so its not looking to good to travel? its unlikely you will recieve your AP but you could get approved and get your pasport stamped but i would not rely on that. Dont book your flight yet!

Ok, I just sent the package via USPS, Express Mail, will be getting there monday by 3pm. Now the fun starts !!!!:confused:
This was the cover letter of my package:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services

Re: Application for Adjustment of Status (AOS) of __________ , a winner of the DV2009, case number DV2009SA0000XXXX

Dear Sir or Madam:

In support of the referenced petition and application, I am enclosing the following:

1. Completed and signed form I-485;
2. Filling Fee of $1010 for I-485 and Biometrics;
3. Two identical color photographs (2” x 2”);
4. I-693 (Medical Examination for Alien seeking AOS) in sealed envelope;
5. Photocopy of government issued Birth Certificate, plus its corresponding English certified and notarized translation;
6. Evidence of required education consisting of:
a. Photocopy of Diploma (Masters of Science)
b. Photocopy of transcript (Masters of Science)
c. Photocopy of “Academic Credentials Report” (Bachelor of Science)
7. Letter of Employment;
8. Pay History 2008 (as 11/01/2008) and Photocopy of 2007 W-2;
9. Photocopies of Passport consisting of:
a. Identity page
b. Renewal/revalidation for 5 more years page ( valid until Nov 05 2011)
c. U.S. nonimmigrant visas
10. Photocopy of I-94;
11. Proof of maintaining valid status while in the US consisting of:
a. Photocopies of two I-797A (H1B Approval Notices)
b. Photocopy of OPT (Optional Practical Training) Employment Authorization Card
c. Photocopies of Seven I-20 (Eligibility for F-1 Status)
12. Completed and signed form G-325A;
13. Photocopy of DV2009 Notification letter, bar code page and DS122 acknowledgment letter
14. Photocopy of receipt showing payment to the DOS for Diversity Immigration processing fee

looks pretty good

It says that we need to bring i864.
I thought we need i-134.

congrats about the interview appointment! you must be so excited!! I hope I get mine soon...

what is the story about the affidavit of support? I thought DV winners did not need one (provided they show they had the money to stay here or for people like me who work here on visas such as H1Bs that we have a job that supports us etc...)

the instructions for I864 specifically say that the persons who need to file it are those who are moving for AOS under family or employment petitions- that is not us!

could it be that they use the same standard letter for everyone for the AOS interview?

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats about the interview appointment! you must be so excited!! I hope I get mine soon...

what is the story about the affidavit of support? I thought DV winners did not need one (provided they show they had the money to stay here or for people like me who work here on visas such as H1Bs that we have a job that supports us etc...)

the instructions for I864 specifically say that the persons who need to file it are those who are moving for AOS under family or employment petitions- that is not us!

could it be that they use the same standard letter for everyone for the AOS interview?

that's what i was thinking

I received an appointment notice for biometrics again. Everything looks exactly the same as the first one, even the barcode.

It says that we need to bring i864.
I thought we need i-134.

windv;
I received my interview letter yesterday, mine says bring an ID, passaport and the interview appointment letter to the interview, does not mention anything else,if it helps...

Kakaco

windv;
I received my interview letter yesterday, mine says bring an ID, passaport and the interview appointment letter to the interview, does not mention anything else,if it helps...

Kakaco,
Congratulations and wish you luck!!

Just curious,did you include affidavit of support(I-864 or I-134) in your package when you sent it to Lockbox?

Sponsorship and Degree eval.

Hope some of you who got info could help on the following;

1. If spouse is the DV winner but do not work, but the other derivative spouse has a well paid job in US, are there any need for i-134 or i-864? Can the derivative spouse with the job sign i-134 for the other?.......... any thoughts? [or links to official info]

2. Is it helpful or need to have 'Credentials Evaluation' done for a foreign Bachelors Degree of the principal applicant? [The degree was done all in English and all the certificates and transcripts are in English too]

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kakaco,
Congratulations and wish you luck!!

Just curious,did you include affidavit of support(I-864 or I-134) in your package when you sent it to Lockbox?

thank you Santay,
I didnt include neither I-864 nor I-134, I am on H1 visa and i just sent the information releated with my current job,visa, I did not even put an employment letter to my application, I just got a letter from my empoyer that states my current title, my start date and my salary, I am planning to take it with me to the interview.

Thanks hollagaby, I was curious about that coment. I am current an H1-B holder, my number becomes current in December and also my H1-B visa expires on December, but I already applied for an extension on September. I hope nobody at the USCIS think that I am of status (by the time I send my AOS) because my current visa is expired, and then have to explain to them that when an application for extension has been done before the expriration date automatically authorizes me to legally work for another 240 days starting at the expiration date of the current visa (these 240 days are ment to give time for the application for extension to be processed). I hope they know it already and wont give me a hard time.
Anybody in the same situation ?

Matutelandia,
I wan in the same situation, I work on H1 visa and my visa expired by july so my company applied for the extention but I asked them to apply with premium process to not to confuse the uscis since I was also applying for the AOS at the same time, so I paid an extra 1000 to receive the extention of H1 before they start processing my greencard application. I do not know if having two application would really confuse them but that was a risk that I didnt want to take so it cost me an extra 1000$.

For those of you asking about Affidavit of Support, although you might not need it, I would recommend that you do have one ( I-134) with you for the interview in case they ask for it. You don't want anything to delay the approval of your case.
There were a few people last yr who were told to go get an affidavit of support even though they already had a job. Some adjudicating officers don't know a whole lot about DV lottery.

For those of you asking about Affidavit of Support, although you might not need it, I would recommend that you do have one ( I-134) with you for the interview in case they ask for it. You don't want anything to delay the approval of your case.
There were a few people last yr who were told to go get an affidavit of support even though they already had a job. Some adjudicating officers don't know a whole lot about DV lottery.

When should I call to ask for biometric results?

do you think they know about the difference between 134 and 864

Matutelandia,
I wan in the same situation, I work on H1 visa and my visa expired by july so my company applied for the extention but I asked them to apply with premium process to not to confuse the uscis since I was also applying for the AOS at the same time, so I paid an extra 1000 to receive the extention of H1 before they start processing my greencard application. I do not know if having two application would really confuse them but that was a risk that I didnt want to take so it cost me an extra 1000$.

Thanks Kakako. Luckily, I got my H1B extension approval the last week of November, so when I sent my package on Saturday, it already went with the approval notice.....just in time. The H1B extension approval only took about two months and a half, not bad. Let's wait ans see now.

What ???? That does not sound right. Even on the I-485 Instructions say that you should provided Affidavit of Support "OR" Letter of Employment Perhaps that was for people receiving salaries close to the Poverty level, such us TAs and RAs, or big families.....jut my thought