• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

About our I-94 wrong date problem

Hi,

I have a some compilacated file. I hope you guys help me for this.
I won Dv-Lottery 2009 and choose AOS and My number Current in this month. I have a H-1B visa and My wife' and my two daugter's have a H-4 Visa and i changed my company on May. When i prepare my cover lotter i realized that my wife's and my two daugter's I-94 has a incorrect year. (My I-94 has a correct date). Their year should be start 2008 and but they have written 2009. So My wife's and my two daugter's seems out of status right now. We went to USCIS local office and talked the situation about I-94 and they said "this is a type mistake and we try to correct it but this takes a couple months." Also USCIS officer at Local Office said this is type mistake and it souldn't be any problem. Because we know your visa date and our guys understand this.
If we wait the correct I-94 it takes may be 3 months so i wonder should i sent our files with wrong I-94's and cover letter about explanation situation ? Or Should we wait 3 months and sent our files ?

Thank you for your advice.

First and foremost consider talking to a legal professional. Now that that is said I can share my opinion on this situation:

If I were you I would file as normal. In my AOS package I would include a copy of my original I-94 and a copies of the H-1B/H-4 approval notices (I-797A I belive) including the I-94 that comes attached to the i-797A. If they dispute the filing they will contact you and you can explain it then, otherwise avoid creating issues where probably no issues exist. I'm just saying...

Hi,

I want to inform you that my problem is solved. We went to USCIS local office in Santa Ana on January 6. We told the story and the USCIS officer helped us so much. He said "this is our type mistake and i will help you for fixing this". Nearly 10 days later I-797C notice of action came. On January 19 corrected approval notice came to my lawyer. :)

Thank you.

during the interview

For those who have gone through AOS especially F-1, is it true that once you go to that office (I/O's) that you find a bundle of papers detailing all the 'sins' you have commited since you landed here? Things like driving under the infliuence of alcoholic bevereages, threating to spank your wife or having an intetion of practising polygamy, not paying tax in time, working overtime oncampus during school time...... etc
Is this real folks?

Also, watch you LUD for activity.

hi dematra! congrats on receiving your card! you must be over the moon!! :D :D

I have been checking my status online every day. today for the first time, the last updated date finally changed from october to 1/19/09 (which in itself is weird because yesterday it was still the october date and 1/19 was a federal holiday and USCIS was closed....)

anyway, all I can do is wait for good news!!!

For those who have gone through AOS especially F-1, is it true that once you go to that office (I/O's) that you find a bundle of papers detailing all the 'sins' you have commited since you landed here? Things like driving under the infliuence of alcoholic bevereages, threating to spank your wife or having an intetion of practising polygamy, not paying tax in time, working overtime oncampus during school time...... etc
Is this real folks?

hehehe...LOL :D -

They don't need to dig up all your sins because they only need one sin. So.... if they catch you for not paying taxes or being out of status then they really don't care about your "threating to spank your wife" or your intetions of practicing polygamy. What I mean is that they'll probably catch you on something a bit more obvious.

hi dematra! congrats on receiving your card! you must be over the moon!! :D :D

I have been checking my status online every day. today for the first time, the last updated date finally changed from october to 1/19/09 (which in itself is weird because yesterday it was still the october date and 1/19 was a federal holiday and USCIS was closed....)

anyway, all I can do is wait for good news!!!

Thanks lindina254. I have finally calm down ;)
Yeah...the LUD will change even on Sundays. But as long as it's changing..then at least you know someone somewhere is looking at your file. I hope you hear something soon :)

Is this real folks?

Have you commited all these sins? WOW:eek::eek:

i`m not an expert, but i think you can apply with your wife. When i consulted with a lawyer he said it is possible to have two processes going on.
When is your number current?

update: check cashed :)

HI Natalia,

My number became current in Dec 08 but I didn't get the 2nd letter from KCC until 3rd week of december. Then I had to gather all the papers and documents and medical as well. Finally I sent all the documents to USCIS Chilcago on Jan 22nd 2009. I am worried that I will not have enough time to adjust my status before sep 30th 2009. My wife doesn't speak english very well and I am afraid that our petition will get denied after the interview.
Any idea how to help my wife with the interview?

Any help is appreciated.

HI Natalia,

My number became current in Dec 08 but I didn't get the 2nd letter from KCC until 3rd week of december. Then I had to gather all the papers and documents and medical as well. Finally I sent all the documents to USCIS Chilcago on Jan 22nd 2009. I am worried that I will not have enough time to adjust my status before sep 30th 2009. My wife doesn't speak english very well and I am afraid that our petition will get denied after the interview.
Any idea how to help my wife with the interview?

Any help is appreciated.

FIRST,
don't be afraid you have plenty of time to Adjust your status.
Usully it takes 2-4 months.

SECOND,
I didn't know that peopl got denied because they don't speak English.
I know lot of people who won the DV and does not know a single english word and they got the GC.
When you recieve the interview letter, Your wife has the right to be interviewed with a translator or a lawyer.
So, you can accompany your wife as a translator.
take it EASY, be patient, the whole game is just to wait, and wait and wait for the next letter

Good luck

FIRST,
don't be afraid you have plenty of time to Adjust your status.
Usully it takes 2-4 months.

SECOND,
I didn't know that peopl got denied because they don't speak English...

Good luck

I agree, you have plenty of time. About your wife not speaking english very well, that should not be a problem. English is only required for Citizenship, but not for Residency

I agree, you have plenty of time. About your wife not speaking english very well, that should not be a problem. English is only required for Citizenship, but not for Residency

This all brings up an interesting question: If the applicant doubts their ability to communicate effectively in English with the IO at an AOS interview, can they bring an interpreter? The interview letter didn't say anything about it (at least mine did not). If need be, how would Lure_27 handle the lanuage issue?

To all the Gurus,
I do not have my birth record formally recorded. So I have a non availability certificate from the city where I used to live in my country. I have a affidavit signed in front of the notary public in my country by my parents that my DOB is xx xx xxxx. Do you I think I need more evidence regarding my DOB during the time of interview?

Any help is appreciated.

The weirdness continues

Today I picked up my mail- my eye immediately fell on an envelope from USCIS. My heart stopped and I thought: could this be finally it? my welcome to America letter?

I open it and I see that it is a biometrics notice. I could not believe it! I HAVE ALREADY DONE MY BIOMETRICS!

Not only that, but as you may recall, I had to beg to do them because I received one of those weird letters saying "we know you already did biometrics" when I had not done them.... When that happened, I went infopass and got them to give me a biometrics notice- and I did them the same day (because the notice they gave me was for the same day and time as my interview and I wanted to make sure I had done the biometrics before the interview- not that it made a difference considering what happened on my interview...)

This notice is dated the day after my interview.

Of course I am going to call USCIS tomorrow but is this weird or is this weird? How do they not know that I have done my fingerprints already?

lindina254,

You should call them, but also, if I was you, I would go to that biometrics appointment they gave you in the letter. If anything, you'll just give your finger prints twice.

Did you say you did the biometrics on the day of your interview? Maybe that letter was outbound before your biometrics got in the system.

It shouldn't be a big problem.

My wife is a DV 2009 winner. She has filed for AOS. She has complted 12yrs of schooling and was enrolled in BSS program in my home country. During the time of interview do we have to present the evaluation copy ( there are many organization that evaluates foreign degree credentials) by the professional evaluator?

Today I picked up my mail- my eye immediately fell on an envelope from USCIS. My heart stopped and I thought: could this be finally it? my welcome to America letter?

I open it and I see that it is a biometrics notice. I could not believe it! I HAVE ALREADY DONE MY BIOMETRICS!

Not only that, but as you may recall, I had to beg to do them because I received one of those weird letters saying "we know you already did biometrics" when I had not done them.... When that happened, I went infopass and got them to give me a biometrics notice- and I did them the same day (because the notice they gave me was for the same day and time as my interview and I wanted to make sure I had done the biometrics before the interview- not that it made a difference considering what happened on my interview...)

This notice is dated the day after my interview.

Of course I am going to call USCIS tomorrow but is this weird or is this weird? How do they not know that I have done my fingerprints already?

that is weird!!! Does ur online status say the card production ordered??? mine is still the same way, no change and it has been a month, i dont understand how the things work over there...Let's hope the best...

UPDATE!

I received my interview letter on Jan 23rd! Interview scheduled for Feb 10th at 8.am.
I'm asked to bring - Passport, i-94, birth certificate, any other document(s) that i used to get into the country, so Im taking my I-20's. Valid government Id (drivers licence). Doesn't say anything about the I-134 but im taking it anyway.

For those that haven't gotten their letter yet, I did my biometrics on Dec 2nd and got my interview letter Jan 23rd for an interview on Feb 10th. So you can see the time line and calculate your 'approximate' wait time. I did it looking at others and it worked out quite close. I estimated Jan 20th, I was 3 days off.

Thanks to all those that shared their info, this site really helped.

Hope the interview goes smooth.
Any tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.
Peace.

UPDATE!

I received my interview letter on Jan 23rd! Interview scheduled for Feb 10th at 8.am.

Great news DMBfan !!! I hope your interview goes smooth and everything works well. I did my biometric on Jan 2, so I may be getting the interview letter around Feb 20th. All these dates make sense, the time average from delivering the application to having the interview is around 3.5 months.

This all brings up an interesting question: If the applicant doubts their ability to communicate effectively in English with the IO at an AOS interview, can they bring an interpreter? The interview letter didn't say anything about it (at least mine did not). If need be, how would Lure_27 handle the lanuage issue?

It is mentioned clearly in Page 3 of the interview letter, "IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO SPEAK ENGLISH, PLEASE BRING A TRANSLATOR ON THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT".