• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Begging for help!!!

Lets me thank you all in advance for your helps!
I couldn’t find a well organized text with details and estimation on my DV conditions. I would be happy and I also plan to provide one well organized text with details for future winners if I receive help from you guys.

My conditions:

I and my wife are PhD students in USA on F1 Visa. She got the notification letter:D in May 2008 with high case number, AS00032XXX:confused:. We are hopeful to be current in August.
We don’t have the choice of CP and we have to be inside of USA and doing it with AOS (my education from you guys) because we are from Iran, the country which gives us only complicated problems:mad:.
I think because of our nationality (75% sure about the problem based on other categories of green card procedure I have seen) we need certain time for security clearance after probable approving of green card in the probable interview (the security clearance time may vary between 1 week to 6 months).
The fees are a little bit high for us since we are student but we don’t care about paying money if we get a very very low chance of getting green card instead.

We have two really high risk factors I think:
1- Time needed to do the paper work for getting interview. Consider the fact that we will be current in August, please.
2- Time needed for security clearance after interview, if any one has experience.

My Questions:

1- What is the minimum time to do the paper work for a person being current in August? What I should do to make it as minimum as possible?

2- Does anyone know about the security clearance for some special countries?

3- I don’t really know what should be done in details and the related expected time. I am wondering if anyone can help me to find out what should be done. Is there any document or guide that might be helpful?

Thank so much again and again,

I`m totaly confused...:confused: I was going to send express mail via USPS on the P.O. box.? I thought "For courier/express deliveries" means UPS/DHL/FedEx..... is that wrong??? please, any input...!?

As far as I know, if it needs signing for then it has to go to the physical address. If Express USPS needs a signature then send it to the physical address.

If you send it regular mail then send it to the PO box (since there is no one to physically sign it at a PO box).

BG Check

Orlandovillas, I had my fingerprint appointment yesterday. In your signature, I noticed that you posted the dates for BG check cleared. Is this something you get from USCIS case status, or you called an office to get this info. My case status is still the same as before, it only says that fingerprint fee is accepted, that's it.

Thanks...

We had an Infopass appointment where they confirmed they had cleared. Also, I might be wrong as it's been a while now, but I seem to recall the date of last update changed on our case status. Although the status text didn't change the date changing indicated something happening on our case.

Orlandovillas, I had my fingerprint appointment yesterday. In your signature, I noticed that you posted the dates for BG check cleared. Is this something you get from USCIS case status, or you called an office to get this info. My case status is still the same as before, it only says that fingerprint fee is accepted, that's it.

Thanks...

Lets me thank you all in advance for your helps!
I couldn’t find a well organized text with details and estimation on my DV conditions. I would be happy and I also plan to provide one well organized text with details for future winners if I receive help from you guys.

My conditions:

I and my wife are PhD students in USA on F1 Visa. She got the notification letter:D in May 2008 with high case number, AS00032XXX:confused:. We are hopeful to be current in August.
We don’t have the choice of CP and we have to be inside of USA and doing it with AOS (my education from you guys) because we are from Iran, the country which gives us only complicated problems:mad:.
I think because of our nationality (75% sure about the problem based on other categories of green card procedure I have seen) we need certain time for security clearance after probable approving of green card in the probable interview (the security clearance time may vary between 1 week to 6 months).
The fees are a little bit high for us since we are student but we don’t care about paying money if we get a very very low chance of getting green card instead.

We have two really high risk factors I think:
1- Time needed to do the paper work for getting interview. Consider the fact that we will be current in August, please.
2- Time needed for security clearance after interview, if any one has experience.

My Questions:

1- What is the minimum time to do the paper work for a person being current in August? What I should do to make it as minimum as possible?

2- Does anyone know about the security clearance for some special countries?

3- I don’t really know what should be done in details and the related expected time. I am wondering if anyone can help me to find out what should be done. Is there any document or guide that might be helpful?

Thank so much again and again,

1. All the paperwork could take any time between 2 weeks to a month. Make sure the first thing you do is to comunicate AOS intention to KCC and send the DV fee to the DOS ($375). Medicals can be done in as fast as a week. If you are a student you probably need an afidavit of support. You also need pictures, and lots of copies. So, it really depends on you, if you really get into it you can probably put your package together in 2 weeks and send it August the 1st.

2.No. I guess you are refering to the background check. There was a guy from the same thread of last year, from Iran as well, he got his card approved on September after months of fighting, he can probably advise you better than anybody else here. Go to the "DV2008 AOS Only", look on the last pages, Im sure you will know whom I am talking about after reading it (sorry, I don't remember his user name)

3. i don't know if there is a document. The best thing you can do is to read these threads, again, make sure you read the 2008 one. Since you'll be current on August and being from Iran, i would say it will probably be a bit stressful, make sure you also get the contact information of your congressman, and start preparing yourself in case you have to do something to rush your Background Check. The good news is, that one of the goals of the USCIS is to "not to take more than one month" for background check by July 2009, and they have been improving a lot lately, so who knows, two months may be ok to process your case. But please, read, read, read, research, research and research; information is the best tool you have and is for free !!!!

I have some questions about the I-485 form.

In Part 2 I put H and "DV LOTTERY" for The Application Type. Is it correct?

- Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer?
What does it mean?

Thanks

I have some questions about the I-485 form.

In Part 2 I put H and "DV LOTTERY" for The Application Type. Is it correct?

- Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer?
What does it mean?

Thanks

I checked (and I believe everyone else has too) A) An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been
approved. (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.) and I attached the letter from the Kentucky Center indicating that I had been selected in the lottery. However, your approach could make sense.

Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer? Means the last time you entered the US (airport or port or by train or whatever) did the people at immigration (Immigration Officers) check your passport and the I94 forms.. usually everyone says yes to this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, what I put and I think most people did is "h, other basis of eligibility" and next to it "Diversity Lottery 2009 Winner"
Yes, you have been inspected by an immigration officer if you entered the country legally.

Actually, what I put and I think most people did is "h, other basis of eligibility" and next to it "Diversity Lottery 2009 Winner"
Yes, you have been inspected by an immigration officer if you entered the country legally.

hmm. interesting. I did as I was told (an attorney helped me though did not file for me) and USCIS has never said that was improper- and every time I have called they knew it was a lottery case. Guess one learns something every day!!

Apparently, as of Jan 18th, 2009 all lawful permanent residents of the United States (LPRs) will be required to submit to biometric screening every time they enter the country. Read the details here. hehehe....

Urgent question

Hi everyone,
I have a question about translating the important documents (such as police certificates and such) to English. How and where did you guys have it done? Can I just do it my self then take it to the language department of my university to certify that it's a good and correct translation?
PLEASE ADVISE.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,
I have a question about translating the important documents (such as police certificates and such) to English. How and where did you guys have it done? Can I just do it my self then take it to the language department of my university to certify that it's a good and correct translation?
PLEASE ADVISE.

Thank you!

If you are doing AOS, you don't need it because the FBI name check is enough.
if you do CP, yes, you can translate it your self and take it to any one who certify it for you.

If you are doing AOS, you don't need it because the FBI name check is enough.
if you do CP, yes, you can translate it your self and take it to any one who certify it for you.

Yeah but I still need to have the police certificates from my home country, my birth certificate and my secondary school diploma translated into English don't I?

Yeah but I still need to have the police certificates from my home country, my birth certificate and my secondary school diploma translated into English don't I?

No, the police certificate from your home country is not necessary if you are doing AOS. Yes, you need to translate your birth certificate and school diploma. I used "www.accuratetranslator.com", it was the cheapest and very good service

Hi, although I didn't post anything before, I read this thread frequently. I want to thank you everybody for all your help... I hope I get my GC soon...

No, the police certificate from your home country is not necessary if you are doing AOS. Yes, you need to translate your birth certificate and school diploma. I used "www.accuratetranslator.com", it was the cheapest and very good service

Thank You.

Do I HAVE to go with a translation company? or can I just take it to someone in the language department in my university who speaks my language to do the translation?

Thank you.

Thank You.

Do I HAVE to go with a translation company? or can I just take it to someone in the language department in my university who speaks my language to do the translation?

Thank you.

mmmm I think there is one person here in this forum that did it through the Language department at the University, I guess that will work. This is what the I-485 Instructions say:

Translations. Any document containing foreign language submitted to USCIS shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

The question is: How will the people at the University certify that they are competent to translate the document ??? what would they use?? If you can answer thsi question then it you shouldn't have any problem

Thank You.

Thank you.

You can do the translation.
There is no need to pay extra money.
I translate mine by my self and have a professor that speaks my language at school to review and sign it.
THat's it.

Hi everyone,
PLEASE ADVISE.

Thank you!

Did you try with your country's embassy/consulate in USA for whether they offer this service? I thought most do as part of consular services, for a fee.
Call them and see.

Hi guys.New update.
05/08/08---NL Received...current in December
05/14/08---Sent forms back(only DSP 122)
07/14/08---Received 2nd response letter for AOS
10/09/08---Sent the fee to DOS
10/18/08---Received receipt from DOS
11/07/08---Medicals done
12/01/08---AOS package delivered to Lockbox
12/16/08---NoA received for I-485.
12/18/08---Received Bio. App. Letter (date:01/06/2009)
01/06/08---Bio. Done