• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

I think you should have sent the winner notification letter,they may send you and RFE (Request for Further Evidence) asking you for it; if not, make sure you take it to the interview. No, you don't have to apply for EAD, it is optional.

For those of you following my case or you are curious about the interview process, here is my experience from yesterday:

.... I hope everyone can get someone as reasonable to deal with.

Merry christmas and happy new year!

hear hear- I hope that I find someone as reasonable as you when I go for my infopass on 12/23. DVWinner09 and I are going crazy with all this stuff- first receiving letters saying we did biometrics, then being told we have to wait some more... etc!!

I am so happy for you Ausmatt7, and for your family who gets to spend their holidays with you! Have a wonderful trip home and enjoy coming back and going to the "other" line at Immigration when you come back. you earned it!

For those of you following my case or you are curious about the interview process, here is my experience from yesterday:

I arrived at my local office at about 8.40am for my 9am interview. It turned out being early didnt matter because it was not until after 9.30 that I finally got called in. To my suprise the man who greeted me had a thick european accent, he seemed young and my guess is he was fairly new. I stood and took the oath nervously and was told to take a seat. He then took me by suprise by saying "You can breath, this is more or less a formality". He asked me for my drivers lisence and passport, which I gave to him. I was now sitting there a lot more relaxed as he proceeded to open my file, he went through each line on the I-485 form and asked me to confirm what was there. he went over some of biographical data and asked me for proof of payment to the DOS. He then said my visa number was available and there should be no problem in approving me. All in all it took less then 10 minutes. He asked me if i had any questions and I asked him if it were possible for me travel home in the next few days for Christmas. He said this shouldn't be a problem and he could stamp my passport. I got a little excited but found this odd because being the informed applicant that we all are, I knew that I was still yet to do my biometrics. But i played dumb. he asked me to return to the waiting room and give him 10 minutes while he finalized everything....

He came back sometime later and invited me back inside. He sat me down and said exactly what i thought was going to happen "you are missing one thing, you need to get your biometrics completed first." He also said in order to travel I would need advance parole. I explained to him that I applied for AP 2.5 months ago and he was not too suprised that i was yet to recieve it. he apologized and said i would need to wait for an appointment letter. next, i kindly asked him if there was any way he could make a biometric appt. for me and explained i had not been home in 2 years. He said the ASC was closed today and that he would try first thing in the morning to schedule me for an apppointment. He took my cell phone number and said he would contact me. He told me that it takes approximately 24 hours for biometrics to clear and once this happens I could make an infopass appointment and they could stamp my passport. Finally, I asked him if he had a number I could contact him on. To my suprise he gave me his office number, which i thought was a huge bonus. Someone on the inside who I could actually talk to! I thanked him and told him i looked forward to hearing from him. I left with mixed feelings knowing that I was all but aproved for the GC but wasnt sure If I'd be able to travel.

I returned home about an hour later and checked my mail. Sure enough, waiting in the mail was my Advanced Parole. Now I knew i could travel no matter what. Long story short I booked my flight and am leaving today. I still hope to hear back from the officer and explain there is no longer a rush on biometric appointment as I will be away for 3 weeks. Hopefully this isnt an issue.

Im fairly positive that not all immigration officers are as kind as this man was but it was very refreshing after hearing such bad stories. I hope everyone can get someone as reasonable to deal with.

Merry christmas and happy new year!

congratulations :) Enjoy.

DV Processing time:
During Infopass today, IO told me that processing times for I485 DV cases is same as rest of the application. Any ideas?

If this is the case I might have to go for CP very soon, as in my area currently they are processing I-485 case filed in July 2007.

Progress!

I received Biometric Notice today..

Do you guys think we might have different interview dates for me and my husband?

Hey guys, I live in Los Angeles. Any ideas whether I should stick with AOS or not? I am assuming my I-485 application will be processed in LA?

Last edited by a moderator:
I received Biometric Notice today..

Do you guys think we might have different interview dates for me and my husband?

Wow, that was fast !!! Do you mind telling us where your field office is? and also, for what date is your biometrics ?
Thanks

Hi Guys, update.Recieved NoA today.

05/08/08---NL Received...current in December
05/14/08---Sent forms back(only DSP 122)
07/14/08---Received 2nd response letter for AOS
10/09/08---Sent the fee to DOS
10/18/08---Received receipt from DOS
11/07/08---Medicals done
12/01/08---AOS package delivered to Lockbox
12/16/08---NoA received for I-485.

congratulations Ausmatt7!!! That is awesome news, enjoy the holiday back home...I hope my interview will be as smooth as urs :)

Finally!!!

I got my interview notice today!!!!! I am so happy!! Interview will take place on 1/15/09!!!

I think I will go to the infopass appointment anyway to fix the biometric issue...

:D:D:D

Thanks to all who were so supportive while I ranted about not getting it- a particular shoutout to DVWinner09- I am sure your interview notice is coming soon- after all, so far, we have gone through the same exact weird process!!

I got my interview notice today!!!!! I am so happy!! Interview will take place on 1/15/09!!!

I think I will go to the infopass appointment anyway to fix the biometric issue...

Thanks to all who were so supportive while I ranted about not getting it- a particular shoutout to DVWinner09- I am sure your interview notice is coming soon- after all, so far, we have gone through the same exact weird process!!

OMG
I am so happy for you. Finally.

Great news. I am so happy for you.
I hope its me next.:eek:
You can relax for a while now. Also dont forget to bug them about biometric and name check during infopass.

Wow, I also got the biometrics appointment letter today, scheduled for January the 2nd !!!!.
So far, it looks like is taking an average of 2 1/2 - 3 months for the interview, no bad at all.

Hi again guys,
I am really feeling lost here. My case number is very high AS27xxx and according to the last two years my number may be current on August or September. Do you think guys that I can adjust status during these two months?
Another thing, if I want to do CP,
1. Is the cut-off number is the same as the monthly visa bulletin. If yes do you think I can finish all the green card paperwork within two months?
2. What I need to do to transfer my file to my country.

I highly appreciate your helps and advices.

Hi again guys,
I am really feeling lost here. My case number is very high AS27xxx and according to the last two years my number may be current on August or September. Do you think guys that I can adjust status during these two months?
Another thing, if I want to do CP,
1. Is the cut-off number is the same as the monthly visa bulletin. If yes do you think I can finish all the green card paperwork within two months?
2. What I need to do to transfer my file to my country.

I highly appreciate your helps and advices.

There were some people on previous years that got their application approved when applying in August and even September, however, the risk increases as October 2009 approaches. I guess it could work, it may be a bit stressful though. I'm sure you will receive many advices telling you to go for CP, which is not a bad idea. On CP, usually the interview is on the same month your number becomes current, therefore is much faster than AOS. I think the most stressful part of CP is going before the interview to your country and prepare everything (medicals, police report, etc), and runing the risk of not being able to come back in case they deny it. You'll have to balance the pros and cons, at the end is a personal decision mostly based on your particular situation.
1)The cut-off number is the same, whether you go for AOS or CP.
2)If you wanna transfer your case to CP, contact KCC and let them know, this should be done at least 2 months before your number becomes current.
Hope this helps...

matutelandia, or anyone might have an answer: What field office you're in? Do think I would still have a chance with AOS I am in LA. Based on USCIS website in September 30, 2008 posting says they are processing January 28, 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
DvWinner09 and horizon67, I don't think you guys should worry too much about it. At the USCIS office, and on their website, they tell you the processing time for all AOS applications, but the fact is that they do expedite the DV cases. The average wait time seems to be 3 months, plus minus few weeks. You guys have plenty of time. Anyhow, I hope you get it soon.

DvWinner09, do you mind me asking where your field office is?

Is there anybody else here going to be processed at the NYC field office?

Thanks.