• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

For strategic purposes, if your CN is probably going to be current in Oct. When would be a good time be to have medical done.

Also, for those that have recieved the 2nd NL, does it mention anything about medicals?

My CN (19XX) will be current in Oct.
Both USCIS and KCC mentioned that not to send any forms before Oct. 1st.
The 2nd NL didn't mention any thing about the medical.
But for me, I'll do it one month befor sending the forms to USCIS.
I think the medicals are valid for 6 month.

After following some of the DV AOS cases, for example Mr. Johnkent, I am starting to suspect that maybe CP isn't such a bad option after all. One could take 2 weeks off, fly home and just get it over and done with. It seems that the possibility of getting caught up in the AOS mess at USCIS for months and months is very real. Hmmmmmm.....just thinking....

thoughts?

Also it appears to me that USCIS is very fast when processing AOS cases at the begining of the fiscal year. Then as the months proceed, they slow down. Folks with CNs current in oct/Nov have it wraped up by dec/jan/feb, 2-3 months. from there on it takes forever just to get an appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
After following some of the DV AOS cases, for example Mr. Johnkent, I am starting to suspect that maybe CP isn't such a bad option after all. One could take 2 weeks off, fly home and just get it over and done with. It seems that the possibility of getting caught up in the AOS mess at USCIS for months and months is very real. Hmmmmmm.....just thinking....

thoughts?

Also it appears to me that USCIS is very fast when processing AOS cases at the begining of the fiscal year. Then as the months proceed, they slow down. Folks with CNs current in oct/Nov have it wraped up by dec/jan/feb, 2-3 months. from there on it takes forever just to get an appointment.

For big families, CP is a bad decission.

thoughts?

It depends with your situation,like me and my hubby are students and most likely our number will be current next Feb/Mar which means we will be in school.Thinking about going home and do CP,we don't wanna take that risk and got stuck while school is in session.So we gonna stick with AOS.

But if you're alone/have few family members I think it's not a bad idea.

With AOS, the problem is waiting while Sept 30 is approaching

I think people with high case numbers should really consider doing CP. We went over the pluses and minuses in posts in DV2008 and DV2009.

When estimating the month when your number will become current, keep in mind that numbers moved really really fast in 2008.

Also, it seems there's a new case numbering system in 2009, so direct case number comparison between 2009 and 2008-199x may not work.

i won DV2009 how do i do AOS???

i won DV2009 and i am in USA but i dont know whats the right time to do AOS cause i cannot do that right now, right??? how can i know when i should do it, when the visas are available, plsss i am very new in all of this visa things, thank you all....

alex.rom,
You file for AOS when your rank number becomes current. For DV2009, this will be sometime between Oct 1st, 2008 and Sep 30th, 2009. The exact time will depend on your rank number (a.k.a Case Number or CN).

If you are just getting started, there are important pointers you need to know about the DV AOS process. I would advise you to spend sometime checking out this and other threads on this forum that provide a wealth of information to guide you.

thank you "dematra"...

well thats a big period of time, how can i know when can i apply for AOS, my CN is 2009EU000015XX, thank you...

well thats a big period of time, how can i know when can i apply for AOS, my CN is 2009EU000015XX, thank you...

It's impossible to know for sure when your rank number will be current. You have to wait until DoS publishes their Visa bulletin. The Visa bulletin lets you know the block of CNs that is current for a certain month. If your CN is below that number you can go ahead and file your I-485 during (or after) that month. The bulletin is usually published around the send week of each month and contains cut-off numbers for the next month and advanced notification for the month after that.

Take a look: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html

Now, you can aproximate when your CN will be current by looking at bulletins from previous years. Remember this is only a good estimate.

So from your CN I would estimate (based on previous years) that you would be current in October 2008. If you are current in October 2008 then file your I-485 in October.

DV 09 CN Numbers

Also, it seems there's a new case numbering system in 2009, so direct case number comparison between 2009 and 2008-199x may not work.

plus07.......what made you think so?
Looking at the numbers mentioned by ppl on different forums I dont think there's any difference from the past. However, as usual, it will be a matter of time and the number of ppl applied (for CP or AOS) how fast the numbers would progress to be current.....that's what I think.
So....in the mean time, just have to keep our fingers crossed !!

how to read the bulliting thing???????????????

sorry guys, very sorry but i don't understand the bulleting thing, i went to see those web pages but i don't get it, sorry, i am sort of slow i guess, hahaha, well is just that those number for each region or country doest make sence to me or i dont know, i just dont understand, can some one please, plsssss, help me to understand the bulleting thing, thank you guys....

sorry guys, very sorry but i don't understand the bulleting thing....

Ok, let me try. Hope this helps, for Alex and for other novices !
Thought this would be a worthy distraction for me at a break whilst writing my thesis !!

Well, the fundamentals first....Dept of State (DOS) select around 100 to 110 k "people" in the DV lottery out of about a gazillion number of applicants. (Praise God that u r one of them, do your math to see the probability of success for being one of them)

Now, these "~ 100k people" = principal applicants + their dependents. (so in effect, may be only around 25-35 k notification letters may have gone out to principal applicants)

However DOS can by law give DV visas only to max 55k ppl. ( or actually, 50k, since 5k are 'reserved')

DOS use the ~100k pool to effectively fill that mandate. i.e. although you were told u r a winner, you may have only a 50% chance, on avg., of actually getting the visa.

This is where the bulletin come into play.

On a "monthly basis" DOS will say (simply) who is eligible to go meet an immigration official (either in USA or at a US consulate overseas) for a formal interview and see whether you are in-fact eligible to get the visa and if yes whether u will in-fact get it !! (the things that you need to do to get prepared for this moment is a different story, for that you need to read, understand & follow the rules and directions in the official documents you get and read helpful tips in the postings at these blogs/ forums !!)

As you may know, DV program is divided into several geographical areas and each area's DV numbers progress on a monthly basis differently during the fiscal year.(chk the past bulletins)

Say your DV number is "2009EU-6548". Starting Oct 1st 2008, (or infact by ~ Aug. 1st) you will monitor the published monthly DOS visa bulletins and you see that DOS give notice about 2 months in advance on the numbers that would be 'eligible' for an interview in the coming 2 months. [ remember, DV 2009 year start from 1st Oct. 2008]

Now , you 'may' see in the Aug. 2008 bulletin that for the EU region, the 'eligible' number (or infact the 'priority' number) for an interview during Oct. 2008 is 1500. This means that ppl who have DV notification letters with confirmation numbers say 2009EU 00001 to 1500 will be eligible to schedule an interview for October.

Likewise, the numbers will progress next months, say for ex. for Nov. 08 it would be for ppl with EU-1501 to 3200. By about say the March 2009 bulletin you will see that the EU number for April 09 is 5800 and for May 2009 it is 6700. This means YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO GET A VISA INT'VW in May 2009 ! [remebmer? ur number is EU-6548]

As you can see, higher the one's DV region eligibility number, lower the chances of getting an interview during the 12 months period of Oct1 st 08- Sept 30 th 09.

All these are done to vet out only 55k ppl from the pool of 110k ! However around the end of the 12 months you will see that the numbers for some regions for Aug and Sept. months would appear as "CURRENT", this means ALL those who did not have a chance for the prior 10-11 months are eligible in Aug & Sept. This would in fact trigger a sort of a mad dash for ppl to know when they could appear for an interview.

But..... whether you in fact get one at all or whether you will have your visa approved by 30th Sept. is a matter that will be 'up in the air'.
Read in these forums/blogs all sort of 'scenarios' people may face during these 12 months and how one should prepare for them.

The basic idea behind the 'visa bulletin DV numbers' is a simple matter of math and stats, but the implications for individuals, especially for those with high DV numbers, are huge !!

Good luck !

Hello All,

I am a DV2009 Recipient with CN: 2009AF000005XX doing an AOS from F-1 to LPR and considering marrying my girlfriend of 6yrs before I file in October, does this jeopardize our application in any way?

I don't want to have to go through the delays of the F2A category. Does anyone have any experience with this? or know anyone who has? I have read through the threads and most cases involve Employment based GC holders.

I actually called the KCC to inquire and was told to get married, send marriage documents and completed DS230 forms back to them to update my file.
I was also told to inform the immigration officer during my AOS interview to request a FOLLOW-TO-JOIN for my spouse.

Is this different from the F2A category?

Thank you for your contributions in this matter.

Hello All,

I am a DV2009 Recipient with CN: 2009AF000005XX doing an AOS from F-1 to LPR and considering marrying my girlfriend of 6yrs before I file in October, does this jeopardize our application in any way?........

Chk this out
http://www.svensual.com/wikas/#_Toc112952844
especially the 'marriage' and the 'interview' chapters. Dont forget to send Wika a thank you note (in the guest book) for her excellent post of valuable tips & info !!

Any Advice Will Be Appreciated

I need an advice,
I paid the consulate fees on April 7th and the check was cashed april 11th, 08 by DOS.
Till now I didn't recieve the reciept.
I contacted every pebble on earth, KCC, DOS, national visa office and none of them confirmed that they have the check.
I contacted the bank, and the bank confirmed that DOS cashed the check ( I have copy of the cashed check).
I even sent that copy to KCC.

Now , KCC wants me to send the fees again, becaue their stupid computer say that I didn't send any thing, and they believed the computer NOT THE COPY OF THE CASHED CHECK.

I have two routes,
1- send the fees again (family of 4).
2- contact state senator and see if he can help.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Now , KCC wants me to send the fees again, becaue their stupid computer say that I didn't send any thing, and they believed the computer NOT THE COPY OF THE CASHED CHECK.

This is a really worrying head scratcher of a situation!!

Now, based on the idea that the GC is more important than the money I would suggest:

First of all, be prepared to pay again if you want your GC asap. October is too near a time to not be ready. You can always follow up to get the money after you have your GC. This kind of battle with uncle sam can drag on for months, and that's a luxury you don't have.

Next, keep persueing your money. Make more calls, consider contacting the DOS Ombudsman in writing. Let them have documented evidence that a) you sent them fees twice, and b) you actively tried to get your fee payment properly recorded. Save all your communication with them.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you Dfdo for the link.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am doing an AOS but my wife is still abroad. I contacted the KCC about this and they said I can file the I-824 to request a F2J for her after my GC is approved.

Does any one know anything about follow-to-join cases for DV applicants. I understand that dependents cannot get visas after September 30, 2009.

I have been reading posts on the FOLLOW-TO-JOIN Forum, but they only apply to the EB GC category and not the DV category (Does this mean DV follow-to-join cases are rare?) Does this indicate that it is high risk?

Please help!