• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

Job

Thumb up for all the forumites. Please do note this. I must say without mincing words that whatever Johnkent says, better believe it. I now understand why many Nigerians go into the nursing professions here, among the best of jobs here it is the only one that readily assimilates Africans because the whites themseves hardly do that ..... controversial....We must not deceive ourselves, America is tough for new immigrants especially when you can not speak like them. One fellow black insulted me that I have accent and I told him grammar is not about accent, and that I speak Queen english, I told him if he speaks in 9ja nobody will understand him, that he will be regarded as having accent. Whoever is coming to America must be prepared. In all if God is on your side, you will find things easy. As many that can raise money b4 coming do so and get a car once you land, so as to make life easier. Please let all study and brush up.
Shalom.

I am glad that someone is bringing up the issue of work at last, i have not really read much about this in the forum. I would advise anyone that is in a field that is not lucative, if that are still interested in being in high demand, to consider going into any type of medical field especially nursing. You can usually get a job within a few hours after passing your CPR exam or another exam in the field u want in medical. This field is in high damand and you have not difficulty even when you relocate to any other state, as long as you have your certificate. Anyone interested shld brush up on their biology even before leaving Nigeria, maybe even get the books that you will need to read for these exams b4 leaving 9ja and start reading. From what i have heard you can go for a 3-6weeks course and that is all, at least to start, then continue the exams.

ALL married guys out there going with wifes:confused: note the highest divorce rate :confused:in the usa is among Nigerians married to Nurses - why is this?

This is because when couples relocate to the usa, they notice pretty quickly that you need 2 income to survive especially at the inital stage before you get better jobs. The husband will have the wife to go into the nursing field becos it the best jobs out there which sees beyond the accent, and face that you are nigerian. The wife usually studies for about 1-2 years to be a Nurse, depending on how hard she works after getting her certificate she can earn as much as 3,000-5,000 per week (yes you are right per week). I think after a while she starts to ask herself what she actually needs a husband for? especially if it is a husband that she was managing b4 and that drive her crazy and the fact that he does not cook, clean or do anything in the house.

In america or aboard in general, it can be very hard especially if the wife is working long hours and still coming home to salve for a husband/children that does not lift a finger to do anything. Ofcourse she will see a lot of divorced girls at work that will be full of advices, to make it worse, she will quickly realise that the law favours the wife - she will get the house and sometime the kids too in a divorce.

:rolleyes:HERE IS SOME ADVISE:rolleyes:

Guys there are a few ways to learn from this, 1. do not become a liable at home that your wife start to imagine the house without you there, 2. Help your wife out especially if she is also working long hours like u 3. improve yourself anyway you can, by getting more qualification at any opportunity 4. realise the living in usa is hard, there is no house help to clean or cook and bathe the children, u both have to work together. 5. AMERICA CHANGES MEN & WOMEN - THERE ARE a lot of temption out there for both property - this is for both parties, women also improve yourself, and help out financially whereever you can, every penny counts in USA

Jesu nifinisher,

Thank you very much for your advise, I will do just that. Actually, it is my husband that won it not me. I am here on his behalf. Thanks again.

I am glad that someone is bringing up the issue of work at last, i have not really read much about this in the forum. I would advise anyone that is in a field that is not lucative, if that are still interested in being in high demand, to consider going into any type of medical field especially nursing. You can usually get a job within a few hours after passing your CPR exam or another exam in the field u want in medical. This field is in high damand and you have not difficulty even when you relocate to any other state, as long as you have your certificate. Anyone interested shld brush up on their biology even before leaving Nigeria, maybe even get the books that you will need to read for these exams b4 leaving 9ja and start reading. From what i have heard you can go for a 3-6weeks course and that is all, at least to start, then continue the exams.

ALL married guys out there going with wifes:confused: note the highest divorce rate :confused:in the usa is among Nigerians married to Nurses - why is this?

This is because when couples relocate to the usa, they notice pretty quickly that you need 2 income to survive especially at the inital stage before you get better jobs. The husband will have the wife to go into the nursing field becos it the best jobs out there which sees beyond the accent, and face that you are nigerian. The wife usually studies for about 1-2 years to be a Nurse, depending on how hard she works after getting her certificate she can earn as much as 3,000-5,000 per week (yes you are right per week). I think after a while she starts to ask herself what she actually needs a husband for? especially if it is a husband that she was managing b4 and that drive her crazy and the fact that he does not cook, clean or do anything in the house.

In america or aboard in general, it can be very hard especially if the wife is working long hours and still coming home to salve for a husband/children that does not lift a finger to do anything. Ofcourse she will see a lot of divorced girls at work that will be full of advices, to make it worse, she will quickly realise that the law favours the wife - she will get the house and sometime the kids too in a divorce.

Guys there are a few ways to learn from this, 1. do not become a liable at home that your wife start to imagine the house without you there, 2. Help your wife out especially if she is also working long hours like u 3. improve yourself anyway you can, by getting more qualification at any opportunity 4. realise the living in usa is hard, there is no house help to clean or cook and bathe the children, u both have to work together. 5. AMERICA CHANGES MEN & WOMEN - THERE ARE a lot of temption out there for both property - this is for both parties, women also improve yourself, and help out financially whereever you can, every penny counts in USA

Please I must say my opinion defers from yours regarding jobs. I don't know if you are already in the U.S., but I must let you know that jobs I can not take in Nigeria, I am also not ready to take anywhere in the world. You talk so much about CPR, FIRST AID, please and please don't encourage our people to become 'gbeya gbeya' a job that they get stocked in. Some one, either Baba Aladura or Johnkent said earlier to persevere is always better. Thank God for His mercy and favour, I am able to continue in my profession with better pay than what I earn in Nigeria.
My own idea of posting on job issues is to give good information on how to make life easier for all new immigrants and not to tell them to start at a correctional or rehabilitation home when they can actually get to pursue their chosen career despite new society they found themselves. America is a land of opportunities and I tell you there is no discrimination here once you are legal. Government jobs are available to all. Information is key, so all must pray to fall in to the right place or else bcos many have suffered so what they know is suffering and wants all to toe their path. To the glory of God, today we have a car, an apartment and a job in same salary range with a RN. God has been faithful. I remember when we landed at JFK in December, the immigration officer there wished us luck, I said I don't need luck but GOD'S FAVOR. Please the Bible made it clear ....'I can do all things through CHRIST which sthrenghten me'. Don't give in to odd jobs. I have seen people that left Nigeria as a Doctor, Director e.t.c and they are here driving cab, can they do that in Nigeria? Pray and believe God, confess positively and I believe God will hear.

J cloud

Please I must say my opinion defers from yours regarding jobs. I don't know if you are already in the U.S., but I must let you know that jobs I can not take in Nigeria, I am also not ready to take anywhere in the world. You talk so much about CPR, FIRST AID, please and please don't encourage our people to become 'gbeya gbeya' a job that they get stocked in. Some one, either Baba Aladura or Johnkent said earlier to persevere is always better. Thank God for His mercy and favour, I am able to continue in my profession with better pay than what I earn in Nigeria.
My own idea of posting on job issues is to give good information on how to make life easier for all new immigrants and not to tell them to start at a correctional or rehabilitation home when they can actually get to pursue their chosen career despite new society they found themselves. America is a land of opportunities and I tell you there is no discrimination here once you are legal. Government jobs are available to all. Information is key, so all must pray to fall in to the right place or else bcos many have suffered so what they know is suffering and wants all to toe their path. To the glory of God, today we have a car, an apartment and a job in same salary range with a RN. God has been faithful. I remember when we landed at JFK in December, the immigration officer there wished us luck, I said I don't need luck but GOD'S FAVOR. Please the Bible made it clear ....'I can do all things through CHRIST which sthrenghten me'. Don't give in to odd jobs. I have seen people that left Nigeria as a Doctor, Director e.t.c and they are here driving cab, can they do that in Nigeria? Pray and believe God, confess positively and I believe God will hear.

J cloud, good for you on your job.

Do not get me wrong about CPR, but it might be something that some people might have to consider, ofcourse if you are in a field that is already lucrative in nigeria, i have already mentioned in previously mail for you to try as much as possilbe to do a few exams as soon as you enter the usa to increase your better changes of entering your field. Anyway the cpr can be done in conjuntion with another job especially for some that need additional earning for some reason. I was actually talking about becoming a registered nurse, but as i know, the person might have to start as a CPR while reading for the other exan etc

We need to be realistic here, ther will be some poeple that might find in difficult getting a job, for one reason or another, they will need to know that are things that they can do quickly to make money were they further thier study. I still believe working as a CPR with intention of becoming an RN is not bad compared with what i have been reading advising new comers to go work in Mc Donald for minimum rate of $5 compared with $12-25 for CPR.

Ofcourse i am hoping that everyone will get job in the chosen feild where they are earning 5 figure some, but as we all know it is not everyone that will achieve this for a while until they improve themselve. I have been to the usa for about 3years on and off, i was able to mix with lot of Nigeria, from the one living in 1.5m house to one living in rented appartment. We need to be realistic here, at the same time a know about 50 9ja that came in as visa lottery winner, i know what stage eack of them are in at the moment, some are doing well and so are not coping well.

A lot of them use CPR to go back to school to further education in chosen, but it lept food and rent paid in the main time. Governement jobs in most cases will only become avaliable to you after you have your passport.

What is CPR? am a registered Nurse and i have not seen anyone being paid $3,000-$5,000 per wk. This is the most false info i've ever seen. So u are saying that some nurses make $20,000 a month. U must be smoking something

Hi guys,being a while since i actually wrote anything on the forum though i ve followed it closely every couple of days.congrates to all our winners and like i once said i believe being connected to this thread prepares one more than most people going for the interviews and with a little of Abba's grace in the mix we can not go wrong! Bosom thanks for your help the other day, hope you are able to connect to the net now,not minding the nitel strike.
meanwhile i had an unusual experience at the medicals the other day:they refused to accept my wife's passport because on the observations page there was a notation made that she had recently married and her surname had changed to so and so.the observation was made at the immigrations office and duely stamp,all legit.so now we are in a rush to get a new passport with her marital name printed on the date page,but we were adviced to also take the old passport on the day of our visa interview....anyone else had this experience?

Hi guys,being a while since i actually wrote anything on the forum though i ve followed it closely every couple of days.congrates to all our winners and like i once said i believe being connected to this thread prepares one more than most people going for the interviews and with a little of Abba's grace in the mix we can not go wrong! Bosom thanks for your help the other day, hope you are able to connect to the net now,not minding the nitel strike.
meanwhile i had an unusual experience at the medicals the other day:they refused to accept my wife's passport because on the observations page there was a notation made that she had recently married and her surname had changed to so and so.the observation was made at the immigrations office and duely stamp,all legit.so now we are in a rush to get a new passport with her marital name printed on the date page,but we were adviced to also take the old passport on the day of our visa interview....anyone else had this experience?

When is ur interview, am just curious. And how long does it take to get the results of the medical back?

its on the 25th of may...use to think the medicals take a maximum of 2weeks but my 2nd date to finish and collect my medical report is the 19th 0f may,my wife has not being able to start cause of the passport issue....

its on the 25th of may...use to think the medicals take a maximum of 2weeks but my 2nd date to finish and collect my medical report is the 19th 0f may,my wife has not being able to start cause of the passport issue....

Thanks. Can one get the police report same day that they apply for it?

Nursing

What is CPR? am a registered Nurse and i have not seen anyone being paid $3,000-$5,000 per wk. This is the most false info i've ever seen. So u are saying that some nurses make $20,000 a month. U must be smoking something

Just because you are not earning that much does not mean someone is not earning the same amount. It is just like every field, some earn more than other in the same field. Before you start to make such a stupid comment might you shld ask what type of other qulaification the person has with their RN, do you have a BS Degree, Master or PHD in Nursing. Have you also heard of some Nigerian that are so agressive that that do double shifts every day for 6-7days a week. Personally i think its crazy, its too much but in the end the person is living in 1m house and providing for her children all by herself.

Apart from that there are people that are Nurses that are not taking care of patients and are earning high 6 figures, and are only working 5 day - 8 hours shifts. Without master and very long shifts we might be taking about 2,000-$3,000/week, but it is a lot of money, doing 8 hours shifts 5 day a week , cannot be compared to other doing these crazy shifts. Also has a nurse working through agencies and getting the job direct with the company, sometime we are taking about 10-$20 difference per hours, agencies make a lot of money providing nurses because the amount that are paid compared to what they actually pay the staff is so much.

The thing about nursing is that a lot of Nigerian woman do it because of the flexibility that it offers for them to manage their homes and their children which might not be available in another type of job.

Just because you are not earning that much does not mean someone is not earning the same amount. It is just like every field, some earn more than other in the same field. Before you start to make such a stupid comment might you shld ask what type of other qulaification the person has with their RN, do you have a BS Degree, Master or PHD in Nursing. Have you also heard of some Nigerian that are so agressive that that do double shifts every day for 6-7days a week. Personally i think its crazy, its too much but in the end the person is living in 1m house and providing for her children all by herself.

Apart from that there are people that are Nurses that are not taking care of patients and are earning high 6 figures, and are only working 5 day - 8 hours shifts. Without master and very long shifts we might be taking about 2,000-$3,000/week, but it is a lot of money, doing 8 hours shifts 5 day a week , cannot be compared to other doing these crazy shifts. Also has a nurse working through agencies and getting the job direct with the company, sometime we are taking about 10-$20 difference per hours, agencies make a lot of money providing nurses because the amount that are paid compared to what they actually pay the staff is so much.

The thing about nursing is that a lot of Nigerian woman do it because of the flexibility that it offers for them to manage their homes and their children which might not be available in another type of job.

Looking at ur signature, it seems like u probably have never been to the states but you do know everything about it. You are the kind of people that give nigerians back home all this false hope about how much nurses make here. On ur first thread, u never said anything about having a PH.D in nursing inorder to earn a 6 figure salary. u just wrote that all RN's can earn that much which i think is very ignorant.
Please let me know of this nurse that makes $240,000/yr ($20,000 a month). Some physicians don't even make that much.U need to quit writing about stuff you have no clue about. I did work for an agency and i know how much i made. And if you want to know, i do make a 6 figure salary but not anywhere close to $240,000.
The most that i nurse can make as a travel nurse is about $2,400 a wk and that dosen't come close to ur $20,000 a month. So get ur information straight. PEACE

Looking at ur signature, it seems like u probably have never been to the states but you do know everything about it. You are the kind of people that give nigerians back home all this false hope about how much nurses make here. On ur first thread, u never said anything about having a PH.D in nursing inorder to earn a 6 figure salary. u just wrote that all RN's can earn that much which i think is very ignorant.
Please let me know of this nurse that makes $240,000/yr ($20,000 a month). Some physicians don't even make that much.U need to quit writing about stuff you have no clue about. I did work for an agency and i know how much i made. And if you want to know, i do make a 6 figure salary but not anywhere close to $240,000.
The most that i nurse can make as a travel nurse is about $2,400 a wk and that dosen't come close to ur $20,000 a month. So get ur information straight. PEACE

Trying to follow the missiles from johnkent and rashbabee. I think this type of attacks are healthy. Its fun when comrades talk bout stuffs like this. just waiting to see where this discussions about what nurses and what "CPR" earns. By the way there is no title like CPR. i guess you are referring to CNT which is (Cerfied Nursing Assistant). I am suurrounded with more than 15 nurses here and i think i am also an authority in this discussion but just waiting to see where the attack goes from Johnkent and rashhy.
Be good and have a bleseed week ahead.

Safe Arrival

We arrived Atlanta yesterday Saturday, April 19, 2008.

We thank God for a safe trip.

We are currently in Alabama to study USA and know the way forward.

Wishing everyone success and wish everyone come to this God's own country.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Johnkent

Johnkent

If you were not so defensive and hadve a lot of issue, go back and read my other comment, then you will start to have a better understanding. Just for the sake of it, i can tell you, it is very likely that i have lived in the uk and usa longer than you. Therefore do not make judgement about something you have no idea about. I will think stand by my comment, that depending on your qualification and how hard you can work, u can make 3-5,000/week. Yes you might be a nurse earning 6 figures but you have not told us about what qualification you have and what kind of hours or shift that you work per week. I have always said whatever your chosen field, one need need to continue to do exams or get certified till you reach the top and earn the top dollars........

I believe that the difference between Nigeria and USA is that every individual can decide how quickly or how much money you want to take home at the end of the month. The areas that allows such choices is fields like nursing where you can decide your shift and just how agressive u want to be. Personally you might not live long to enjoy the money with such hard work but it is possible, maybe not for you but someone else with the drive and energy...

The point of this forum is to inform people what is out there and what is possible to achieve with different point of view on various issues.. u have one and i definiately have another.

Originally Posted by Johnkent

Johnkent

If you were not so defensive and hadve a lot of issue, go back and read my other comment, then you will start to have a better understanding. Just for the sake of it, i can tell you, it is very likely that i have lived in the uk and usa longer than you. Therefore do not make judgement about something you have no idea about. I will think stand by my comment, that depending on your qualification and how hard you can work, u can make 3-5,000/week. Yes you might be a nurse earning 6 figures but you have not told us about what qualification you have and what kind of hours or shift that you work per week. I have always said whatever your chosen field, one need need to continue to do exams or get certified till you reach the top and earn the top dollars........

I believe that the difference between Nigeria and USA is that every individual can decide how quickly or how much money you want to take home at the end of the month. The areas that allows such choices is fields like nursing where you can decide your shift and just how agressive u want to be. Personally you might not live long to enjoy the money with such hard work but it is possible, maybe not for you but someone else with the drive and energy...

The point of this forum is to inform people what is out there and what is possible to achieve with different point of view on various issues.. u have one and i definiately have another.

I really don't care where u lived, I still tell that that no RN makes $240,000 working at a hospital as an RN or even travelling. Quit giving folks false hope. End of conversation. PEACE

Re:J Cloud

America is tough for new immigrants especially when you can not speak like them. One fellow black insulted me that I have accent and I told him grammar is not about accent, and that I speak Queen english, I told him if he speaks in 9ja nobody will understand him, that he will be regarded as having accent. Whoever is coming to America must be prepared. In all if God is on your side, you will find things easy. As many that can raise money b4 coming do so and get a car once you land, so as to make life easier. Please let all study and brush up.
Shalom.

Yep, i agree with you J Cloud about the accent issue. Just spent about 2weeks here and i'm already feeling it. Was at Walmart yesterday and to check-out a university few days back, and does white folks just make you look strange. They make you start paying unnecessary attention to syllables. However, i wouldn't say Nigerians go into lower end jobs because of such. If one says to make ends meet pending getting a better offer; i'll agree, but the former, no.

From my few days here, i've come to notice that some blacks, especially Nigerians, tend to go for lower end jobs becos of inferiority complex. In U.S, we are not the only ones that have accents. The chinese, indians, french, latinos all have accents. But if you watch d chinese pple closely, they have been brought up to appreciate who they are, their language, culture, food etc. The same with the indians. Despite their accents and way of life, you find them doing really well. Maybe one should ask Microsoft, and other big companies why they keep filing H-1B visas for does guys. Its because they have learnt be on top; they do market themselves.

Thank God you already know what i mean. This is a capitalist economy, and if you need respect you have to earn it. Of course, their are some jobs you can't do like public relations jobs becos people may misunderstand your pronounciation, but one can really get big jobs. No one here can reject you if are highly qualified to do the job, and bring imaginable profit for a company. One just need to strive hard to achieve that height and make your self marketable. People like that guy, who insulted you would keep shut if you do that. I guess we all know how to do that from what you said last. And, of course, not forgetting the God factor.

Re: Johnkent

I really don't care where u lived, I still tell that that no RN makes $240,000 working at a hospital as an RN or even travelling. Quit giving folks false hope. End of conversation. PEACE

Hey, man. It's ok. Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion. People in this forum should learn to make adequate research on their own. Don't rely 100% on what you get in this forum. What you get here is only like a map, or a guide. And, people read maps differently. It could be risky if one depends totally on another person's judgment. So, forumites, take note.