• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2007 AOS only

When I got the instruction to appear for the interview, I had thought that I would go to Nigeria and get my birth certificate before the interview, but there was a sheet of paper inside the DV letter for applications from Nigeria, regarding marriage and birth certificates...and all those things that I had listed as secondary evidence, were mentioned in that...

The real reason why the officer gave me a big headache is becuase she herself was from Nigeria and I think she was pissed off by the fact that me being a Indian was using her country birth to get a green card...she had a issue with when she first saw me...

I did submit the all the originals documents ..ie Birth Certificate in my reply and I also stated the law in which it clearly says that nationality is not considered.

Problem now is that the immigration officer has 180 days to respond and I'm pretty sure she will take her time to getting me a response...

Its just bad luck or bad sequence of events...

This is what I would do: if you haven't heard anything in a month's time, pay the fees and get attorney Murthy (or Shusterman) involved. This is no time to think twice about spending money (if you want the green card) and you have no time to fight this out yourself (September 30 is closer than you think).

When I got the instruction to appear for the interview, I had thought that I would go to Nigeria and get my birth certificate before the interview, but there was a sheet of paper inside the DV letter for applications from Nigeria, regarding marriage and birth certificates...and all those things that I had listed as secondary evidence, were mentioned in that...

The real reason why the officer gave me a big headache is becuase she herself was from Nigeria and I think she was pissed off by the fact that me being a Indian was using her country birth to get a green card...she had a issue with when she first saw me...

I did submit the all the originals documents ..ie Birth Certificate in my reply and I also stated the law in which it clearly says that nationality is not considered.

Problem now is that the immigration officer has 180 days to respond and I'm pretty sure she will take her time to getting me a response...

Hi Johnny,

Bahadur is right, take an infopass a month from your submission and if still pending then take a lawyer.A lottery case can be easily screwed by pending decision closer to cutoff date and that would leave no time to fight...

Jugnu

Hi guys,

I know USCIS system is messed up especially when it comes to green card of any sort.Does anyone knows if someone was not processed due to background checks in fiscal year 2006?In general their system has more streamlined for DV processing as compare to past....,call it my thought or assumption.

Any examples, comments be great....

Jugnu

Last edited by a moderator:
Successful AOS -- DV 2007

Hello Forum,

I have posted a few times and only for questions, but I have read many successful cases that helped me with my process as well. Therefore, I would like to post my AOS experience and timeline so others can compare it with theirs and see that all cases vary in time but follow a similar line for processing.

With Student Visa---
4/2006 = received letter from KCC
4/2006 = sent back DS230 & 122 forms
8/2006 = received 2nd notice from KCC for AOS
1/2007 = number was current (SA Region)
1/12/2007 = sent AOS package to Chicago (I-765 + I-485)
1/27/2007 = received NOA for both applications
2/8/2007 = fingerprint completed (with letter from local office)
3/23/2007 = received letter for interview
4/2/2007 = interviewed
4/16/2007 = online case status approved!
4/17/2007 = card ordered for production
4/21/2007 = received EAD card (I-765)
4/23/2007 = received Welcome Notice
4/27/2007 = GC Card received...!!!

This forum has been of great help and let's keep it as clean and useful as possible. Thank you, DV2007-SA...

Keyword=Positive

Hi blessed123,

Thanks for checking and for well wishes.I hope they act soon now...it is just terrible waiting but staying positive...

Jugnu
Staying positive is the keyword my friend; though I can imagine the frustration.
Hopefully, prodding the system here and there will yield some result.:)

Congratulations

Hello Forum,

I have posted a few times and only for questions, but I have read many successful cases that helped me with my process as well. Therefore, I would like to post my AOS experience and timeline so others can compare it with theirs and see that all cases vary in time but follow a similar line for processing.

With Student Visa---
4/2/2007 = interviewed

This forum has been of great help and let's keep it as clean and useful as possible. Thank you, DV2007-SA...
Well deserved congratulations!!!! Enjoy your new status.:D

Wishing you well

Here is one Nigerian who wishes you well and hopes that the case is approved quickly. Rather strange though that the Officer might be overlooking your obvious qualification for Nigerian chargability.
I believe Sir Archibald [or Orlandovillas] posted on this forum about his wife who is a British citizen but qualifies because she was born in Germany.
I agree with the suggestion to get a DV lawyer; fixing this now will save you from having to wait- I belive the current piority date for Indians is January 2002.
Some have also suggested contacting the IO's boss [District Director] A.S.A.P

congratz

Hi guys,
I had my interview yesterday. It was pretty straightforward, pretty much as described by other interview experiences. The officer was a bit confused that I did not submit an I134 form though. I have a job and I will start a new job as soon as I'm done with this, I had letters stating dates and salaries. I think he was confused about the details of the letters. He did not make a decision right then and there, he said he will go over my case once again and make a decision. This morning my online status was updated to "welcome letter mailed on 04/30/2007"! Yay!

It is incredible how differently various USCIS offices handle these applications! As I wrote before I had not submitted anything to KCC and the officer didn't even ask me anything about it -but I know some people had problems with this. I had not had the PPD skin test (because it would turn out positive) and got an Xray, the officer did not say anything about my med. report -but I read here that somebody was asked to complete the skin test before the GC can be mailed. I feel so lucky that things moved so fast for me (I had a relatively high number which became current only in March and my local office is a very busy one), I wish the same luck to those who are still pending. I keep my fingers crossed especially for people whose applications got stuck at name-check (like Jugnu), I can imagine how terribly frustrating it must be. I'll check the thread for your good news!

Thanks to all who shared their experiences on this forum!
congratz

Hi guys,

It's just so frustrated how different offices treat the dv cases differently... We just came from our second infopass. Now news again. But this time she told us that Hartford office will not process dv cases until July!!! So for those who are in this office, do not hope anything until then.... What kind of rule is that? And what's the purpose then for all those priority numbers?
Again, they didn't tell us if our names are cleared... Even after I mentioned that other offices do discuss this information.

Does anyone know when the visa numbers are assigned? After the interview or at some time earlier. Because I started worrying if in the end we will get one...

I'm going to see a lawyer today, who happens to know most of the IO's in the nj officer, and he is going to try to push for a faster response..

I wrote a email to Attn Murthy and this is the response I got:

Dear Johnny:

Thank you for your eMail. You are correct that eligibility for the lottery is based upon the country of birth, with limited exceptions. It is not related to where the individual actually lives. Since it is based upon birth, but does not require you to be a citizen of the particular country, you should not be expected to have a passport from that country. In fact, in many countries simply being born within the country does not entitle you to the passport as you would not be a citizen of that particular country. While birth in the U.S. means that an individual is a U.S. citizen that is just not true of every other country.

Anyways: I'll update if there are any new developments
Thanks
Johnny

Hi Vinipux,

This is very strange but you never know with USCIS...you need to keep checking on your case.I would suggest to contact your congressman for this disparity within USCIS different offices.They might yeild a different answer and might also bring your case out from the cold storage.

My NC is pendind more than 6 months now, however, I am kept on banging via different channels....

I dont know when exactly they assign visa numbers but firmly believe you will be fine as your file from KCC must be sent to local your USCIS by now and also you have paid the fee as well.

I can think of two possibilities;1-when we pay DOS fee for DV,2-when they transfer file to local USCIS office.

Jugnu

First Exit and Entry with GC

Well deserved congratulations!!!! Enjoy your new status.:D

One last question for all of you who did AOS...I'm planning to travel overseas and I'm asking myself which I-94 should I turn in (original or current). I have done 3 changes of status before getting my GC thru the diversity visa as explained above. (First I held a visitor visa, then changed status to H-4 visa and finally to F-1 Student Visa). Which of all of these I-94s should be given when travelling out of the US?

Thank you!!!
DV2007-SA

Hello Forum,

With Student Visa---
4/2/2007 = interviewed

One last question for all of you who did AOS...I'm planning to travel overseas and I'm asking myself which I-94 should I turn in (original or current). I have done 3 changes of status before getting my GC thru the diversity visa as explained above. (First I held a visitor visa, then changed status to H-4 visa and finally to F-1 Student Visa). Which of all of these I-94s should be given when travelling out of the US?

Thank you!!!
DV2007-SA

Hi DV 2007,

My suggestion is to make copies and mail all of them to the address given in the article below;

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_cbpi94.html

And of course you can drop all of them at airline counter when you leave but for sure the current and most latest one.

Hope this helps!!!

Jugnu

Hi guys,
But this time she told us that Hartford office will not process dv cases until July!!! So for those who are in this office, do not hope anything until then.... What kind of rule is that?

Well, that's crazy. I'm sure she told you that to get rid of you simply because she didn't know what to say. Many USCIS officers don't know much about DV program, so they lie to people just to dispose them. Looks like your case got stuck a little, like other people, but I'm sure you will be fine by the deadline. Sometimes they handle cases slowly without any reasonable explanation, but by the end of September they take care of immediately. Still lots of time left.

Hi Vinipux,
I dont know when exactly they assign visa numbers but firmly believe you will be fine as your file from KCC must be sent to local your USCIS by now and also you have paid the fee as well.
I can think of two possibilities;1-when we pay DOS fee for DV,2-when they transfer file to local USCIS office.
Jugnu

All USCIS stories about about transferring cases from KCC to USCIS are full of lies. When you send DSP122 form to KCC indicating for AOS, they take cary of immediately and send it to USCIS. That's what KCC lady told me when I talked to her.

All USCIS stories about about transferring cases from KCC to USCIS are full of lies. When you send DSP122 form to KCC indicating for AOS, they take cary of immediately and send it to USCIS. That's what KCC lady told me when I talked to her.

Hi HMZ!

I agree with you when you say USCIS officers often don't know much about DV processing.

For anyone still asking the famous question: When it comes to KCC my file was transferred to USCIS 6 weeks exactly after receiving it. I discovered that on one of my Infopasses and that was confirmed a few months later by KCC. In my case it took 6 weeks although my number was already current. It is so individual, and the truth of the matter is, the more you bug them the more likely they are to get on with it. In my case it worked.

And I agree with HMZ that we're still within reasonable time. I know through direct experience how frustrating it is, plus you can't just get on with your life because you need to keep an eye on your case etc. But...there is still time.

Good luck!!

My AOS experience:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=229911

Hi Everyone,
We're Just Back From Our Infopass Today. It's Been 2 Months Since The Interview And There's Still Nothing. This Was Our 2nd Infopass Since The Interview. They Didn't Let Us See Our Case Worker, They Just Told Us That They're Still Reviewing Our Case. I've Asked Again If Our Name Checks Cleared, And The Lady Said That They Were Cleared. There Are No Problems Or Missing Things But We Should Wait For The Mail.
I Told The Lady, That I Want To See The Case Worker, I Needed To Give Her Some Documents About Our Case, But She Told Me To Leave Them With Her, And She Will Make Sure They're Added To Our Case.

Aaahhhhhh!!!!!
Just Nothing Again. I Just Don't Understand What's Keeping Them.
I'm Thinking About Connecting Someone, Like A Senator Or Congressman Like Everyone, But I Don't Know How To Do That. Do You Think I Should Seek Some Help About My Case?
Can Someone Show Me Some Example Letters To Write To The Senators Or Congressmen For Help?
Thanks So Much In Advance.