• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2007 AOS only

KCC and AOS

Hi m1rahim,

I READ the NL. Under Adjustment of Status it says:
"if you are in the United States, you may be eligible to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), formerly INS, for adjustment of status.[...] To determine whether or not you may adjust status you must contact the USCIS. If the USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should take this packet of documents to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the KCC for any further information or instructions if you apply to adjust status in the United States, and the KCC will not contact you again."

I had an infopass back in may just in case, asked the USCIS officer about what to do, and he told me to come back when the number comes up. I did that and they told me I can file the I485 now and I did. When I read the forum after receiving the NOA (which did not indicate any problems) I saw that some people sent documents to the KCC to receive a "go" for AOS, and some others did not; and it looks like it doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't want somebody to read this and get denied a visa in the end, but as far as I can see, if you are doing an AOS you have nothing to do with the KCC at all(unless you have family back in your country, or not eligible for AOS etc).

I have called the KCC just now, explained my situatuon, and the lady there said I don't need to send anything to them, not even the DSP 122. She said some people send in the form, they make a note of them as people who intend to do the AOS, but that's not important. Many have been talking about files sent from KCC to the local offices, but I don't think KCC sends anything to the local offices (What files???DSP122? Your approval letter?->a copy of this should be in your AOS application anyway). The only file transfer seems to be the I485 transfer from MSC to our local offices (and I don't understand why and how KCC could expedite that).

I guess, like Jugnu said, it doesn't hurt to send the DSP122 to KCC if you don't mind the extra paperwork. Again, I don't want to mislead people in any way. I wrote my experience and all these so that future applicants do not feel panicked if they haven't sent the DSP122 or haven't received a letter back from KCC. I will write again and share the rest of my experience as the case progresses.

PS. I have sent the money to the DOS and gotten the receipt already.

PS. Thanks, Jugnu, for the suggestion on the walk in FP. In CA, it may not be a great idea, we'll see :)

madhatter
1) READ instructions you received from KCC
2)You HAVE to send money to Department of State using KCC supplied form
3) You MUST notify KCC that you are doing AOS so that they can send your files to your local INS

About the famous DS122 and DS230 Part I and part II.

In my NL for DV2006 they asked to send those forms back to KCC asap and one of the questions in one of the two forms is whether I intended to do CP or AOS. I followed instructions and sent both forms to KCC.

The NL for DV2007 that a couple of my friends received was identical to mine.

Regarding your question:

Many have been talking about files sent from KCC to the local offices, but I don't think KCC sends anything to the local offices (What files???DSP122? Your approval letter?->a copy of this should be in your AOS application anyway). The only file transfer seems to be the I485 transfer from MSC to our local offices.

What KCC sends to your local USCIS office are the DS Forms!!
KCC sent my completed DS forms to my local USCIS office one month before I received an interview letter. They told me that in one of my many Infopass visits.

My AOS experience:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=229911

hi all,
HenryID, m1rahim ; thanks so much for your answers to my question. i'm relieved :D
congratulations to Blessed and others who got approved.
i just hope i receive some mail soon :D

have a lovely weekend all.

hi all,
HenryID, m1rahim ; thanks so much for your answers to my question. i'm relieved :D
congratulations to Blessed and others who got approved.
i just hope i receive some mail soon :D

have a lovely weekend all.

EKMEKCHI, if I were you I would take an INFOPASS also soon to inquire about the status. Maybe your file is just sitting on a table there. I personally think I would still be waiting also if I didn't take an infopass. It made them look at my file again and saw that there was nothing wrong so they approved it right then.

I am trying to understand the logic behind this DS122 thing, so bear with me guys.

If you send a docment to the KCC even if it is not required, they still have to do something about it, they can't just throw it away. So,-in my opinion- they send you a note saying they got the forms and forward the forms to the local office (where the case belongs). The question is: Do the local offices NEED these forms from KCC for anything at all (e.g. to make a more favorable decision on the case)? And: Does the arrival of form DS122 at the local office expedite the process in any way (e.g. does it get you an earlier interview -time is crucial!)? If BarbaraLamb got her interview letter a month after her KCC file arrived at the office, it looks like it did not have much effect in determining when the appointment was going to be (otherwise, they would send a letter right away right?).

I really apologize for kinda being the Devil's Advocate here, but having been trained as a scientist, I feel obliged to understand why! :eek:

About the famous DS122 and DS230 Part I and part II.

Regarding your question:

Many have been talking about files sent from KCC to the local offices, but I don't think KCC sends anything to the local offices (What files???DSP122? Your approval letter?->a copy of this should be in your AOS application anyway). The only file transfer seems to be the I485 transfer from MSC to our local offices.

What KCC sends to your local USCIS office are the DS Forms!!
KCC sent my completed DS forms to my local USCIS office one month before I received an interview letter. They told me that in one of my many Infopass visits.

edit: Interesting thing happened. As I said before, I haven't filed anything with KCC but called them recently to ask whether I should have. I got a letter from them today, which is apparently the letter people receive when they mail dsp122.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Madhatter,

First of all I wanted to let you know that one thing I've learnt since being online on DV forums (may 2005) and reading people's experiences is that each USCIS office operates its own way. The laws and regulations regarding DV are the same but the way they manage their tasks is VERY different. Therefore don't try to make sense out of anything. Follow instructions and if things get stuck somewhere for you deal with it when that happens.

1. What does KCC do with those DS Forms?

They SEND THEM TO USCIS.

2. What happens is they are not sent to USCIS?

It has happened to two DV2006 cases. In one case by mistake KCC had sent them to a foreign country to an Embassy. KCC had to track them down and send them to USCIS so that the person's approval could be finalised.
The second case involved the files having been sent but not received. So USCIS had to wait for those Forms to arrive before approving the case.

3. At what point do they send interview letters?

a) generally when number current
b) generally after Biometrics
c) generally after receiving the files from KCC but not necessarily according to the above cases mentioned.

Don't worry too much...there's always going to be an exception, then what do you do?

Best of luck

Welcome notice recieved

Recieved welcome notice today :D :D :D

About those forms that were sent to kcc i saw them in my folder when we went for the interview, so like others have said do all you can to send those forms.

question about name check and FOIA

Hi guys, I am a 2008 winner still deciding between aos and cp. After reading this thread I am somewhat inclined to do a cp but I dont want to be stranded in my country of cp because of name check problem (that would be worse than getting stuck with the name check here) Can that be the case?? I know this forum is for aos 2007 only but since you are the experts on name check procedures I would really apreciate your comments. also I read in your thread that you can get an FBI certificate through the FOIA how does that work? can I just go the local fbi office and ask for it? if posible I would like to take that to my cp country office just in case.

thanks very much and sorry again for writting in this threat but like I said no one in the entire forum seems to know more than you guys on the subject.

Best of luck and thank you for sharing such valuable information!

hi,
HenryID; I'M AT THE 2ND WEEK OF WAITING AND I'VE DECIDED TO WAIT 1 WEEK MORE. I'M GONNA GO TO MY USCIS OFFICE AND MAKE AN INFOPASS. I JUST WANTED TO WAIT INCASE THEY TELL ME TO WAIT A LITTLE MORE WHEN I MAKE INFOPASS.

madhatter; AS BARBARA SAID, THERE ARE DIFFERENT WAYS OF DOING THIS AOS THING. I'VE JUST CHECKED MY CONGRATULATIONS LETTER FROM KCC. THE FIRST PAGE SAYS " ALL FORMS AND CORRESPONDENCE MUST BE SENT TO THE KCC." AND IN THE FOLLOWING PAGES ABOUT THE ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS IT SAYS" IF THE USCIS CONFIRMS YOUR ELIGILIBITY TO ADJUST STATUS YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS PACKET OF DOCUMENTS TO YOUR LOCAL USCIS OFFICE." THIS 2 STATEMENT SEEM A LITTLE BIT CONFUSING.
WHEN WE FIRST RECEIVED THIS PACKAGE OF DOCUMENTS, WE WERE CONFUSED AND WE THOUGHT THAT WE SHOULD TAKE AN INFOPASS AND ASK THE OFFICERS THERE. WE DIDN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE NUMBER BEING CURRENT AND ALL. WE WENT TO JACKSON, MISSISSIPI USCIS OFFICE (AT THAT TIME, THE NEW ORLEANS OFFICE WAS CLOSED DUE TO HURRICANE) AND THE OFFICER TOLD US THAT WE NEED TO SEND THE DS FORMS TO KCC AND WAIT FOR THE CASE NUMBERS TO BE CURRENT. WE DID WHAT HE SAID AND WE RECEIVED OUR NOTICES FOR FP AND INTERVIEW IN A SHORT TIME. I THINK IT DEPENDS ON YOUR LOCAL OFFICE REALLY. AN I THINK IT'S ALWAYS SAFE TO MAKE AN INFOPASS AND ASK THE OFFICERS THERE.

nacho2008; ONE OF OUR FRIENDS WERE DV-2005 WINNER AND HE DID CP. BUT HIS NAME WAS CAUGHT UP IN THE NAME CHECK. THERE WERE ANOTHER MAN WITH HIS NAME. HE TRIED VERY HARD. HE CONTACTED THE FBI, THE CONGRESSMAN TO GET HELP AND FORTUNATELY HE GOT HIS CASE SOLVED. THE NAMECHECK IS A LUCK GAME I THINK. BOTH IN AOS AND CP.

Hi nacho2008,

You are more than welcome to post questions in this thread.....

You got lot of time to decide and this is the good news!!!You can always switch from CP to AOS as long as your file have not send to your Local consular office.

FOIA and Background Checks are two different things.Let me put it that way FOIA is a sample of background checks and it is just based on if someone is the primary subject of an FBI file or main file.While background checks also look into secondary information available in files that might link to some main files or data base.Also,there are lot of other US Federal agencies involved regarding background checks while FOIA is just with FBI(main fileschecks).

FOIA is a good tool to have, as that helps stuck folks to convince Senator's,Houseman's Office to help expedite their cases.It also helps those who are stuck and pursing legal litigation against USCIS.That helps judge to determine the applicant is not the subject of main file.

Bottom line it is good to get it but it won't be helpful to expedite CP processing if consular officer find a match they can't waive it.

Please see the link below for a better and clear idea...

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/security_checks_42506.pdf
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm

Please also read FAQ and testimony!!!

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_uscis_bcs.pdf

Jugnu

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share with you that i got my husband i got our green card and welcome letter (same day) yetsterday :D :D :D . My journey is now complete:) :). Good luck to you all and thanks so much for your support, especially about having 2 I-485s. I wish you all the best and for those of you who are still stuck in the background check, i pray that it clears up soon. Will remember you in my prayers. Keep up the good work and don't give up.
Spiicy

Hello awesome forum people :)
first I wanna thank everybody for sharing their experiences, you saved me by your info. I sent my payment to DOS and got the reciept for my interview on April 2nd. I just have a quick question, does anybody know if the FBI background check goes back to your home country and get police clearance from there as well? for AOS as far as I heard you are not required to submit any police clearance, but does that mean that they are going to do it "their way", I can get one from home so easily and take with me to the interview just in case if they didn't do it, or it's not important at all as they only check you within your stay in the country (two years for me)
Thanks everybody!

Hi EFKK,

FBI is king of their world so there can be exceptions, however, information available online does not talk abt.home country clearance.I know cases like refugee they do these checks via their on staff sitting/working for their consulate.Bottom line they don't normally trust secondary information from foreign police.

In your case if you got it then put with I-485 but you dont need to get it.USCIS submit your biometric info to FBI via a digitial tape/Secure System and thats it.

Hope this helps!!!

jugnu

Hi EFKK,

FBI is king of their world so there can be exceptions, however, information available online does not talk abt.home country clearance.I know cases like refugee they do these checks via their on staff sitting/working for their consulate.Bottom line they don't normally trust secondary information from foreign police.

In your case if you got it then put with I-485 but you dont need to get it.USCIS submit your biometric info to FBI via a digitial tape/Secure System and thats it.

Hope this helps!!!

jugnu

Thanks Jungu786, I do not think we even have digital tape system for finger prints backhome which means that it doesn't make sense that they will bother to contact my home country police system. I was just wondering! Anybody else got anyother thoughts?
Thanks again!

Card finally arrived

Guys, we got our green card in the mail today. :D :D :D :D
All the best to those who are waiting for theirs.

Congratulations Click.
I'm Still Waiting Too. My Online Case Status Hasn't Changed Since We Sent The Aos Package. But 2 Days Ago, The Last Update Date Of My Husband's Ead Changed. But The Message Is Still The Same.
I Hope That That Means Something Positive. It's Gonna Be 3 Month Since We've Sent Our Aos Package, So Maybe They're Gonna Send The Ead Card At Last.
Anybody Know Anything About This Issue?

just a few minutes ago, my online case status for I-765 EAD has changed.
the message says that they've ordered us a new EAD Card and we would receive it in 30 days.
i hope this is a positive thing for our AOS case.

Hi all,

I had an infopass on 03/29 on my way to Dallas.Nothing new,as expected checks are still pending.Immigration Officer was not welcoming and did not even take my expedited request for the officer in charge of Memphis USCIS.However, he did went and asked someone as he could not say flat no when I made him look Press Release of 02/20.He told me they are aware of DV cases he could not tell me when but they do ask FBI to expedite them when they get closer....

Jugnu