• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2007 AOS only

Welcome aboard

Hi. Just to update you all on my case. Since I had not received anything for almost 2 weeks, I took an infopass to my local office. I guess my file must have been sitting on a table there when it got back from the ASC where I did my interview. Anyway, the officer stamped my passport for 1 year, and took my I-94 and H-1B stubs. He said I'll be receiving the card in like 15 days. I'm so relieved now, especially since I dont have to depend on my work visa anymore :D :D :D Thank you all from this forum which I found invaluable in the whole DV process.
Henry.

Just to wish you congratulations Henry, and welcome aboard.

Thank you all so much. Do you know if I have to wait for the actual card to apply for a replacement social security card? Right now mine has the "Valid for work only with INS auth...".

Hi All,
First Of All, Congratulations To Henry And All Got Approved.
I've Been Waiting For Someone To Answer My Question About That Signature At The Interview. Could Anybody Pls Help Me With It? I Still Haven't Got Any News On My Case. I'm Gonna Wait For A Week Or So, Then I'm Gonna Have An Infopass.

Hi All,
First Of All, Congratulations To Henry And All Got Approved.
I've Been Waiting For Someone To Answer My Question About That Signature At The Interview. Could Anybody Pls Help Me With It? I Still Haven't Got Any News On My Case. I'm Gonna Wait For A Week Or So, Then I'm Gonna Have An Infopass.

EKMEKCHI, don't worry. The officer did not make me sign anything at the interview. I also sent both DS122 and DS230 to KCC. They also did not make me sign anything when they stamped my passport at the Infopass, and I was waiting like 30 mins in the lobby while they had my passport and going over my file. Maybe some offices make you sign that form, but like you said I think it is for consular offices only.

EKMEKCHI, Do not worry, we had our interview on March 15. I did not submitted DS230 to kCC before. After interview the officer asked us to sign on the I-485 form- page 4 right below where we previously signed. The reason KCC tells not to submit DS230 for AOS because DS230 is for consulate processing. During AOS interview some officer may take sign or may not as HenryID mentioned.

Gc Approved!!!!!!

Blessed123,

When you go to your Infopass take everything with you as if you were going to the interview, just in case the officer in charge of your case happens to be free to see you...you never know.

Best of luck!

Barbara

Thans you guys for all your help, i actually had my interview on the day i had my infoass, my case officer was an ANGEL. I will provide my interview experience soon. Really it was all a breeze!!

Congratulations!!!!

Thans you guys for all your help, i actually had my interview on the day i had my infoass, my case officer was an ANGEL. I will provide my interview experience soon. Really it was all a breeze!!
Congratulations Blessed.
Barbara Lamb's advice to take all your papers with you was simply PERFECT!!
How did you know that, Barb?;)

Congratulations Blessed.
Barbara Lamb's advice to take all your papers with you was simply PERFECT!!
How did you know that, Barb?;)

Actually my case officer was a reall sweet African American Lady. She gave the immigration officer her cell phone number to give me and told me to call her if i could not make it for 2pm that day.

GC approved

Since 99.9% of the posts here have been very helpful I figured I should post my AS experience, who knows who it might help so here we go.

04/10/2006: DV lottery winning notification: CASE# AF1XXX. Wife the winner on H1B and I am on H4 (got tired of school so switched from F1 so I could take a break).

04/14/2006: Mailed dsp0122 & ds0230 to KCC
06/04/2006: Received reply from KCC
10/02/2006: Mailed Package to lock box and Check to DS.
10/06/2006: Received receipt from DS. DS check also cleared from account.

10/16/2006: Package returned from Chicago lock box. Reason priority date could not be established based on information provided. We called customer service to confirm that we had all the information. They confirmed it and advised us to send it back to the lock box. Mailed package back same day with copy of DS receipt.

10/27/2006: Package returned from Chicago lock box, same reason as above. Thanks to this website and some friends who had done this 2 years ago we realized that the error was caused by selecting option ‘a’ instead of ‘h: DV Case Number’ on form I-485, part 2. Fixed it and sent it back the same day.

11/07/2006: Received NOA today. Check cleared yesterday.
11/18/2006: Finger print appointment letter received.
11/30/2006: Finger print done.

12/00/2006: Infopass appointment – officer informed us that finger print cleared, awaiting interview appointment so ignore second finger print appointment letter from the local office.

01/24/2007: Interview letter received appointment on 02/12/2007.

02/12/2007: Interview: Officer went over the forms we filled to make sure that everything was correct and that we had all the supporting documents. We were asked to submit a local police report as soon as possible so that the green cards could be processed. Officer told us that once she put in the request we should receive the GC in 7-10 business days. We were also told that there were plenty of visa numbers available. A letter from Wife’s employer stating her annually salary and health insurance policy (for both of us) was good enough for financial support. To be on the safe side we took financial support documents from a sponsor to the interview just incase but were never asked about any further financial support documents. Make sure you have a local police clearance report just in case some local offices require it. The officer was a really nice african american lady.

2/12/2007: Police clearance report obtained and mailed overnight

2/13/2007: A second copy of the police report mailed (regular) just incase they missed the first one

3/09/2007: Infopass – we were told that our case officer reviewed the case the day before no decision made. Officer advised us that if we don’t hear from them in 30 days we should come back.

3/15/2007: Infopass – we were told that our case officer had verified the police report 3 days earlier. Officer told us that we would hear from them in about 45 to 90 days (standard response to any timeline question).

3/19/2007: Email from USCIS that they had registered our new permanent resident status and notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident on 3/16/2007. Case status online also changed to reflect this. Note that prior to this the case status online read 11/22/06 – finger print appointment letter mailed.
:D :D :D

3/20/07: Email from USCIS – Card ordered on the 20th. :D :D :D

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jugnu786 for starting this thread its been really helpful, hope your case gets resolved soon. All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all AOS's,

If you are stuck in background checks like me then please share and update eachother abt. your course of action to reslove it.We still have 6 months to go, however, if background checks go beyond 6 months then they can prolong to indefinite time.Out of all other checks FBI namecheck is the worst delayed one...and most of us are stuck in it.

I am working with my senator office but outcome is only status check everytime.

I have sent first request to Expedite on 03/06 to my local office in Memphis,TN.All documents were included with uscis press release of 02/20/07.Yesterday on 03/20 I also mailed one request to Director NBC in Missouri.

I guess we gotta keep knocking the door!!!It will be 6 months on 04/26 since USCIS initiated my background checks.

Jugnu

...It will be 6 months on 04/26 since USCIS initiated my background checks.
Mine will also be 6 months on the same date. I have not done anything about it yet. My plan is to take an InfoPass on that date and the 2/20 printout and talk to them about it. Try and get some names and numbers.

I assume that when you look at your status on the web it is still completely out of date and was last updated when they requested your fingerprints in October last year? (i.e. it does not reflect your interview or pending name check.)

Hi Coldstar,

Mine online status is also stuck on 10/17 when they accepted my FP fee etc.I also have an infopass on 03/29 and I'm planning to take another request to expedite my background checks.

Jugnu

Hi Jugnu
How do you know that if 6 months over after Name check was initiated they will expedite the process? We had our interview yesterday on March 15. My wife was the winner. She got approval instatntly, we went for biometrics on January 18th and finger prints. He told me Name check takes a long time (4-6moths), Once he get Name ckeck results he will adjust the status. I asked him by when I can expect the approval. He told me they maintain a database where DV cases are higlighted. If they do not receive or hear anything from FBI by the end of July then they expedite the process. So he told me not to worry they give the DV Name Check cases priority after July as it ends on September 30th.
So if they really expedite the process after 6 months then I will make an info pass too!

Hi Rahim,

USCIS does not expedite even checks are pending for years and they don't do it for lottery winners either,this is the real problem as they don't really have a well defined process/system for DV winners.There is lot of info available abt.backlogs due to Name Checks and FBI claims only 1% highly complex cases go beyond 6 months, please keep in mind they do millions of checks every year and this 1% can be a big number.Please see the link below

http://blogs.denverpost.com/washington/2006/12/10/fbi-checks-slow-citizenship-quest/

Lot's of other reports available on DHS.gov and FBI.gov

Jugnu

Hi guys!

I found about this forum a bit too late, but I'm still in the process and have been benefiting from the experiences. I especially like the timelines some people have in their signatures, because at this point, I am curious about how long the various steps might take and others' timelines give an idea.
BTW: Congratulations to those who already got their GCs!

I want to add a few things from my experience thus far.
- KCC: I have never sent anything to KCC, never received anything back. I just sent my AOS form and supporting documents to the Chicago lockbox when my number came up. There was no problem with it (thus far!), I got my NOA.

- I read that one poster's I485 was returned back because they marked option a instead of h in the form, part 2. I had marked option a and written a note saying "see attachments" (and included the NL and barcoded page). No problem at all. It looks like the officers may act ambiguously about this section of the form since they don't quite know which category to put DV under.

- This is probably written somewhere else on this forum, but I'll still write so that future applicants may benefit. The medical report should best be a recent one, but you'd better get your medical report before your number comes up (you can make a guess from the bulletins). In some places like CA, you may have difficulty in getting a doctor's appointment quickly (and as you know, there are designated doctors, you can't just go to any doctor for this).

I also have a question:
I read that some people have done their FP walk in once they get their FP NOA. What is the procedure for that? Do you just show up at the ASC? Is it better to go at a specific time (morning/afternoon)? I wouldn't want to drive all the way to the ASC to be returned back but I don't want to wait for 10-15 days for the FP appt. if I can get it over with sooner than that either. Any input is appreciated!

madhatter
1) READ instructions you received from KCC
2)You HAVE to send money to Department of State using KCC supplied form
3) You MUST notify KCC that you are doing AOS so that they can send your files to your local INS

Hi madhatter,

There is no hard and fast rule for walkins FP's.In general this is totally depends on your local ASC.Normally if they are not slammed all the time this should not be a problem but imagine if they have hard time dealing with appointments then they may not welcome walkins.Try to find someone's post in some other thread abt.your local office practices.

Making KCC aware of your intentions may not affect anything but will not harm too.I personally believe that makes file transfer process more smooth from KCC to local USCIS office.DV 2006 winners got lot of issues of files being delayed etc.

Good Luck!!!

Jugnu