During the interview, must I hand in my yellow letter to officers?

kelvin8250

Registered Users (C)
During the interview, must I hand in my yellow letter to officers? So that officers could put it in to my A-file. And also, if fail to submit the yellow letter, are there any problems?

Does any one fail to hand in, but got no problem?

This is because I don't want to show my driver license for private reason. Mine one just asked me to bring driver license.

During the interview, must I hand in my yellow letter to officers? So that officers could put it in to my A-file. And also, if fail to submit the yellow letter, are there any problems?

This is because I don't want to show my driver license for private reason. Mine one just asked me to bring driver license.

I thought your interview was over. If yellow letter asks you to bring what is/are required, you must show them (only if IO asks you during the interview). Mostly IO asks for driver license because IO wants to confirm that a person lives with in the local office jurisdiction. State ID is okay, but photo on id is a must since the instructions say, "State issued photo ID."

If you fail to submit the yellow letter or if you are unwilling to submit what IO asks for based on yellow letter, then your N-400 will be denied.

You should carry yellow letter with you. At reception, your interview appointment letter will be taken but not yellow letter. The IO will ask for the documents listed on yellow letter. He/she may not ask yellow letter from you because he/she already has a letter in your file. It is usually related to drivers license/ID. It was my experience.

If you fail to submit the yellow letter ... then your N-400 will be denied.

This is smply not true. The yellow CFR letter is for reference only. If you don't bring the letter to interview, it's not something that would trigger a denial.

You don't want to show driver's license for private reasons? You do realize they have your entire immigration history on file which already includes sensitive private information, so why the fear of showing driver's license?

The yellow letter is for reference only..it's a generic documents checklist. If you don't bring letter to interview they won't deny you, however if you refuse to show DL and they can't verify your information it will cause issues with the processing of your case.

Note that you must produce your state issued photo ID or drivers license when the IO asks for it or your N-400 may be denied. I am not sure what your "private reason" for not showing the photo ID/DL could be but I cannot imagine it being more important than risking a citizenship denial.

Based on other posts on this forum, IO generally do not ask for the yellow CFR letter but it is best to carry and submit (if requested) since the letter clearly states that it must be carried and submitted during the interview. I doubt they will deny N-400 if you do not have it although I don't see a point in not having it with you.

Bobby is right and I am surprised anyone say failure to show yellow letter
lead to denial. Some people do not even get the yellow letter and the IO
who interview may not even know whether you get the YL or not

I think one advantage of presenting a yellow letter is that if the IO ask for something that is not on the yellow letter, you can use your yellow letter
to say "I did not have this because your yellow letter did not tell me"

I think one advantage of presenting a yellow letter is that if the IO ask for something that is not on the yellow letter, you can use your yellow letter
to say "I did not have this because your yellow letter did not tell me"

The IO has the right to ask for any supporting documents s/he wants, regardless of whether or not they are listed in the yellow letter. There are countless examples of IOs issuing an N-14 and having the interview rescheduled.

The IO has the right to ask for any supporting documents s/he wants, regardless of whether or not they are listed in the yellow letter. There are countless examples of IOs issuing an N-14 and having the interview rescheduled.

They have the right but they are hopefully also reasonable. So if
you mention you don't have it because the YL does not say so,
they may be undertsanding and withdraw the request.

I really thought hard on this one but could not come up with a private reason why one would not want to show ones DL. I guess I have to admit am starting to get a bit old to think properly anymore. Remember those days in school when one could come up with all sorts of excuses for almost anything. Well not anymore!

Maybe you were doing your dog and the photograph somehow happens to now be on the DL which would probably put a question on the good moral character :D.

This is open to interpretation and lets see who can come up with the best private reason on this one. Let hope the IO does not reject the case citing "private reasons" :).

kelvin8250, I don't know what your private reason is. Is it religious issues? (you don't want to show your face on the photo?). If so, I understand that, but you need to show your DL or photo ID. It is always confidential between you and IO during the interview. Isn't it hard?

I don't understand why you posted this question after you went to the interview (you already posted that IO kept the interview officer kept the interview letter) and you wanted to peek what was in the file folder during the interview. Do not panic. Was the interview over?

If you don't have any criminal history or if you don't have any issues relating to the immigration (like out of status, employment issues, etc), you will be fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really thought hard on this one but could not come up with a private reason why one would not want to show ones DL.

Some states may place a restriction legend on DL because the driver has too many violations. Many states issue such DL to people whose DL are suspended but really need to drive to live. So the restriction can be
"only valid from sunrise to sunset and only valid on the road home to/from work".

If you get that kind of DL, you may not want to show it to IOs

They have the right but they are hopefully also reasonable. So if
you mention you don't have it because the YL does not say so,
they may be undertsanding and withdraw the request.

If you're lucky enough to be interviewed by a reasonable IO, then yes. There have been a few accounts on this forum where the applicants were issued an N-14 for proof of payment of minor traffic tickets, despite the fact that M-476 clearly states that documentation for minor traffic violations doesn't need to be submitted.

If the yellow letter isn't required as some of you have stated, then why does it categorically state that it must be brought to the interview?