During the interview, must I hand in my yellow letter to officers?

If the yellow letter isn't required as some of you have stated, then why does it categorically state that it must be brought to the interview?

The IO may ask for it, but it's not a hard requirement to bring it to interview as it is a simply a generic document checklist letter, not actual supporting evidence that influences your application.

If you're lucky enough to be interviewed by a reasonable IO, then yes. There have been a few accounts on this forum where the applicants were issued an N-14 for proof of payment of minor traffic tickets, despite the fact that M-476 clearly states that documentation for minor traffic violations doesn't need to be submitted.

Actually such request , IO can argue, is specified by the YL. If you answer
any Yes to those citation/charge/arrest/convict/deferredjudgemend/jailed question,
the YL will tell you to bring documents. This applies to traffic violation.

But that being said, I really doubt any applicant will be unable to get citizenship because he can not get documentation for a minor traffic
violation (If it occurred many years ago, it is perhaps already
expundged)

:rolleyes:
Some states may place a restriction legend on DL because the driver has too many violations. Many states issue such DL to people whose DL are suspended but really need to drive to live. So the restriction can be
"only valid from sunrise to sunset and only valid on the road home to/from work".

If you get that kind of DL, you may not want to show it to IOs

Guys,

The OP has a private reason not to show his drivers license to the IO. I have good news to the OP, USCIS has a private reason to deny your application for failure to produce a required documentation to facilitate the adjudication of your N400 application. If he's an organ donor, which I am not and never will be, I know you can't donate your genitals to anyone, even for experimental purposes, so it leds me to beleve the theory advance by WBH. The OP may have restriction on when he can drive because of a particular violation. Also, he might be required to do community service with NAMBLA:rolleyes: The OP needs to answer why he can't show his DL :p

:rolleyes:

Guys,

The OP has a private reason not to show his drivers license to the IO. I have good news to the OP, USCIS has a private reason to deny your application for failure to produce a required documentation to facilitate the adjudication of your N400 application. If he's an organ donor, which I am not and never will be, I know you can't donate your genitals to anyone, even for experimental purposes, so it leds me to beleve the theory advance by WBH. The OP may have restriction on when he can drive because of a particular violation. Also, he might be required to do community service with NAMBLA:rolleyes: The OP needs to answer why he can't show his DL :p

Maybe he screwup converstion of height and weight between metric and
anglo-saxon system. The height on his DL does not match the height put
put down on his N-400.

What is the "yellow letter"? I have got my IL, but didn't get any "yellow letter"?

Seattle DO
7/01/2009 : Application Sent to Phoenix, AZ
7/06/2009 : Application Received (long weekend )
7/09/2009 : Check cashed
7/13/2009 : I-797C, Notice of Action Received
7/15/2009 : FP Notice Date
7/17/2009 : FP Notice Received
7/28/2009 : FP Date
8/20/2009 : Recd Interview letter
10/13/2009 : Interview Date

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the "yellow letter"? I have got my IL, but didn't get any "yellow letter"?

Seattle DO

You don't need a yellow letter, you are better of without one...:eek: It is for people whose parents never served in Vietman or any war for oil...

Doing the dog!

Maybe you were doing your dog and the photograph somehow happens to now be on the DL which would probably put a question on the good moral character :D.

This is open to interpretation and lets see who can come up with the best private reason on this one. Let hope the IO does not reject the case citing "private reasons" :).

That may be why the dog doesn't want his face shown either. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually such request , IO can argue, is specified by the YL. If you answer
any Yes to those citation/charge/arrest/convict/deferredjudgemend/jailed question,
the YL will tell you to bring documents. This applies to traffic violation.

But that being said, I really doubt any applicant will be unable to get citizenship because he can not get documentation for a minor traffic
violation (If it occurred many years ago, it is perhaps already
expundged)

I'll adopt your personal inquisitive nature for this one ;)

Let's say an applicant received the yellow letter, decided not to get proof of minor traffic tickets, and told the IO that s/he never received the yellow letter in the first place? Also, keep in mind that if an applicant answers "YES" to the citation question, the yellow letter sent to the applicant reads "You stated that you've been arrested. Please bring all arrest records, etc., to the interview". It mentions nothing about traffic violations.

The one particular situation I mentioned in the previous post actually took place before the USCIS began issuing yellow letters.

I'll adopt your personal inquisitive nature for this one ;)

Let's say an applicant received the yellow letter, decided not to get proof of minor traffic tickets, and told the IO that s/he never received the yellow letter in the first place?

The one particular situation I mentioned in the previous post actually took place before the USCIS began issuing yellow letters.

Lying about NOT receiving the Yellow Letter(YL) won't help the applicant, it will only delay the process and the IO will just print out the YL for the applicant and hand it to him and inform him/her that rescheduling notice will be send. Also, lying to USCIS has its benefits too, like being denied the benefits being sought, deported after being held with muscular freaks at a detention center in TX...:eek:

During the interview, must I hand in my yellow letter to officers? So that officers could put it in to my A-file. And also, if fail to submit the yellow letter, are there any problems?

Does any one fail to hand in, but got no problem?

This is because I don't want to show my driver license for private reason. Mine one just asked me to bring driver license.

Few days ago you posted this thread
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=302350

Why the officer needs to keep my original interview letter after the interview?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine one has been kept by the officer. The officer said that needs to keep it, and is not going to return to me, but I have not made a copy for my personal record yet!!!

Are you going for second interview or you did not submit the yellow letter in the interview?

Lying about NOT receiving the Yellow Letter(YL) won't help the applicant, it will only delay the process and the IO will just print out the YL for the applicant and hand it to him and inform him/her that rescheduling notice will be send. Also, lying to USCIS has its benefits too, like being denied the benefits being sought, deported after being held with muscular freaks at a detention center in TX...:eek:

I highly doubt that an IO would deny someone's N-400 because they claimed that they've never received the yellow letter.

Also, if the IO prints out the yellow letter and gives it to the applicant, the applicant can say that s/he has never been arrested and only answered "YES" to Q.16 because s/he had minor traffic violations for which the documentation is not required, as explicitly stated in M-476.

Seattle DO

Yello letter is sent after an IO reviews your case file thoroughly. Not everyone will get it. You may get it anytime before your interview (you can wait as there is still a month and half before your interview).
Usually, they ask you to get the photo ID.
Other things they may ask for are:
- All the previous passports/travel documents (if you have expired passports, other travel documents. They know if you have used multiple passports, from your case file)
- traffic/arrest related supporting documents (such as receipts of payment, court documents etc) if you have checked any of these items.
- IRS documents/tax returns (if you have tax overdues, tax related issues reported, continuous residence break situation etc)

You need to bring it with you to the interview.

I highly doubt that an IO would deny someone's N-400 because they claimed that they've never received the yellow letter.

Also, if the IO prints out the yellow letter and gives it to the applicant, the applicant can say that s/he has never been arrested and only answered "YES" to Q.16 because s/he had minor traffic violations for which the documentation is not required, as explicitly stated in M-476.

Read my posting very carefully. Nowhere did I ever say USCIS will deny N400 for claiming NOT to have received the YL. I explicitly said that that lying to USCIS has its benefits, one of those being a denial for benefits sought by an applicant.. :( Why are people in NY so hard headed? :rolleyes: In future, before responding...please read carefully what people write and it will save you a scrot...:eek: Don't become like Bill O'Reilly or Sean Buttnnity..:p

Read my posting very carefully. Nowhere did I ever say USCIS will deny N400 for claiming NOT to have received the YL. I explicitly said that that lying to USCIS has its benefits, one of those being a denial for benefits sought by an applicant.. :( Why are people in NY so hard headed? :rolleyes: In future, before responding...please read carefully what people write and it will save you a scrot...:eek: Don't become like Bill O'Reilly or Sean Buttnnity..:p

Wow, relax! No need to bite my head off! Perhaps your joke was just too clever for me. :rolleyes:

Wow, relax! No need to bite my head off! Perhaps your joke was just too clever for me. :rolleyes:

All jokes go over the head for people in Brooklyn, NY...:eek: I already chewed your head off, but for some inexplicable reason, you are still able to write and read...weird on its own...:rolleyes:

Interview Today - Yellow Letter

I had my interview today and passed.

I had received a Yellow letter requesting me to bring DL/Photo ID at the time of interview, I asked IO if he needs to have that Yellow letter. He said No....its for your information only and you keep it.

All jokes go over the head for people in Brooklyn, NY...:eek: I already chewed your head off, but for some inexplicable reason, you are still able to write and read...weird on its own...:rolleyes:

Oh, it's way over my head!:rolleyes:

By the way, cut down on the smilies. They make you look like a teenager who's trolling for "lulz".

Wow, I got so many replies in this topic. At the time of viewing those relies, I got no idea how to reply them.

Yes, my interview was over. And the officer didn't ask me to show my driver license, nor yellow letter. But my case has been approved.

Why I don't want to show my driver license? In fact, is not a private reason for this thread, but is for my interview.

This is because the middle name issue, I don't know why my New York State driver license print my full middle name, not middle initial. I saw many people that their New York State driver licenses just print middle initial. I know some states print full middle name such as California, Mississippi. And I still remember that the form is asked me to write full middle name which I did. But I don't get it why other people's New York State driver license come out differently. Of course, my interview location was in New York State, so the officer may aslo got a New York State driver license, he or she will exactly know about the name format. As the result, if I show my New York State driver license, it will create some sort of problems. Namely, if the officer doubts my full name, I will be asked to show my birth certificate. The point is that I don't have birth certificate at all. Therefore, I prefer not showing it, unless required. At this moment, I worry nothing about my birth certificate, but I got some questions!!!

Question #1 Folks, if you got a New York State driver license, your driver license prints full middle name or just middle initial?

Question #2 On the other hand, is the name how to show in my driver license is based on social security number administration database, not green card?
Because, I remember that I made a mistake when I filled out my social security number form at first time in the U.S., I put my middle name into my first name field, so I got two part of first name, leaving my middle name field blank. I don't whether the staff will put my second part of my first name back to middle name field or not. This is because my current SS card does not indicate which one is first, middle, and last name. Hence, I guess my New York State driver license does not include my middle name at all, but print both first name. As the result, it got no middle initial in my New York State driver license. Does anyone got clue about this?

Wow, I got so many replies in this topic. At the time of viewing those relies, I got no idea how to reply them.

Yes, my interview was over. And the officer didn't ask me to show my driver license, nor yellow letter. But my case has been approved.

Why I don't want to show my driver license? In fact, is not a private reason for this thread, but is for my interview.

This is because the middle name issue, I don't know why my New York State driver license print my full middle name, not middle initial. I saw many people that their New York State driver licenses just print middle initial. I know some states print full middle name such as California, Mississippi. And I still remember that the form is asked me to write full middle name which I did. But I don't get it why other people's New York State driver license come out differently. Of course, my interview location was in New York State, so the officer may aslo got a New York State driver license, he or she will exactly know about the name format. As the result, if I show my New York State driver license, it will create some sort of problems. Namely, if the officer doubts my full name, I will be asked to show my birth certificate. The point is that I don't have birth certificate at all. Therefore, I prefer not showing it, unless required. At this moment, I worry nothing about my birth certificate, but I got some questions!!!

Question #1 Folks, if you got a New York State driver license, your driver license prints full middle name or just middle initial?

Question #2 On the other hand, is the name how to show in my driver license is based on social security number administration database, not green card?
Because, I remember that I made a mistake when I filled out my social security number form at first time in the U.S., I put my middle name into my first name field, so I got two part of first name, leaving my middle name field blank. I don't whether the staff will put my second part of my first name back to middle name field or not. This is because my current SS card does not indicate which one is first, middle, and last name. Hence, I guess my New York State driver license does not include my middle name at all, but print both first name. As the result, it got no middle initial in my New York State driver license. Does anyone got clue about this?

Congrats man!!! You did it and move on with your live, your middle name shall live on for years to come...:D

why are we afraid of things?

It is amazing how such a small thing as one's middle name can make us fearful for the outcome of the citizenship process.. wow...

I wonder if our kids will be 'free at last' and not worry about being detained or questioned for trivial things?

Don't get me wrong, I also have these fears and doubts.. just keep telling youself - don't worry / be happy / everything is gonna be alright!

Congrats on your approval!