Duplicate US passport for those who travel alot

Or being a dual citizen and using both passport is another option.
In 10 days I'll travel and I'll use my italian passport to enter Egypt, Jordan, and Italy of course.
I'll be back to the US and my US passport won't have any stamp on it.

Or being a dual citizen and using both passport is another option.
In 10 days I'll travel and I'll use my italian passport to enter Egypt, Jordan, and Italy of course.
I'll be back to the US and my US passport won't have any stamp on it.

You'll still need to send in either passport for countries that require a visa (ex:India).

You'll still need to send in either passport for countries that require a visa (ex:India).

Why?
Let's say I have to go to Russia.... I can get a Russian visa on my Italian passport (it's actually cheaper than on the US one) and while I wait I can travel on my US passport...

Why?
Let's say I have to go to Russia.... I can get a Russian visa on my Italian passport (it's actually cheaper than on the US one) and while I wait I can travel on my US passport...

Yes, you'll still be able to travel to other countries in the mean time but my point is you'll still have to physically send in either passport for countries that require it.

True. There is no way around such a requirment if it exists. However holding multiple passports does not ground the applicant. I think that is the point Sarrebal was making.

Yes, you'll still be able to travel to other countries in the mean time but my point is you'll still have to physically send in either passport for countries that require it.

I wonder if US CBP would cause any issues at POE of why your US passport wasn't used for foreign travel to other countries.

Also, one should look beyond the cost of a visa when traveling to a foreign country as your home country may not offer the same diplomatic protection as a US passport. Once you travel on your foreign passport with a visa, I would think it would be difficult to seek US diplomatic assistance in that country if needed.

I wonder if US CBP would cause any issues at POE of why your US passport wasn't used for foreign travel to other countries.

Also, one should look beyond the cost of a visa when traveling to a foreign country as your home country may not offer the same diplomatic protection as a US passport. Once you travel on your foreign passport with a visa, I would think it would be difficult to seek US diplomatic assistance in that country if needed.

The Dept of State website clearly said that use of foreign passport does not jeopardize US citizenship. Obviously it can't be used in the US.
Regarding diplomatic protection, Italian Govt is known to pay ransoms to free its kidnapped citizens. While not negotiating with terrotists is a good strategy, I'll take a paid ransom if the kidnapped one is myself or my family. :D
Seriously though, how many of us in our lives will need diplomatic protection abroad? If we get in trouble with the local laws, there's also very little US (or other) diplomats could do to free us.

The Dept of State website clearly said that use of foreign passport does not jeopardize US citizenship. Obviously it can't be used in the US.
Regarding diplomatic protection, Italian Govt is known to pay ransoms to free its kidnapped citizens. While not negotiating with terrotists is a good strategy, I'll take a paid ransom if the kidnapped one is myself or my family. :D
Seriously though, how many of us in our lives will need diplomatic protection abroad? If we get in trouble with the local laws, there's also very little US (or other) diplomats could do to free us.

Not in terms of jeopardizing US citizenship, but rather the potential for hassle by a zealous CBP officer who questions why there aren't any foreign stamps in your US passport from all the countries you visited. I've heard some stories of CBP officers telling dual citizens that the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Even my IO told me at interview that the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship and that I would loose my previous citizenship (a fact I know wasn't true).

As for diplomatic assistance, an EU passport offers good insurance in times of need in a foreign country. However, some passports may not offer the same benefits, like an Iranian passport. I wonder how much diplomatic assistance the US would offer a dual Iranian citizen who travels to their home country on their foreign passport, and gets arrested for being accused of being a US spy.

If we get in trouble with the local laws, there's also very little US (or other) diplomats could do to free us.
Yes there is. Look at those two journalists who got caught in North Korea and then freed when Clinton went there.

In other cases, they aren't able to get you freed as such, but they can place attention and negotiation with the authorities to see that you're getting a fair trial, and a fair sentence for the crime if you're convicted, and see that the government is not doing something like shipping you off to a secret prison where you have no communication with the outside world.

Not in terms of jeopardizing US citizenship, but rather the potential for hassle by a zealous CBP officer who questions why there aren't any foreign stamps in your US passport from all the countries you visited.

Then I'd just tell them the truth - I entered using another passport. There's no obligation under US law for me to use a US passport for anything beyond leaving and entering the US.

I've heard some stories of CBP officers telling dual citizens that the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

Which is true, but irrelevant.

I wonder how much diplomatic assistance the US would offer a dual Iranian citizen who travels to their home country on their foreign passport, and gets arrested for being accused of being a US spy.

How much could they offer, no matter what other citizenships you have? Besides, anyone who left a repressive regime understands that if said regime still considers you a citizen, if you return there you are on your own.

Then I'd just tell them the truth - I entered using another passport. There's no obligation under US law for me to use a US passport for anything beyond leaving and entering the US.
One may still get hassled for doing so by a zealous CBP officer who believes that you should travel on your US passport (even if there is no rule saying you must).

Which is true, but irrelevant.
It's relevant to the argument that a CBP officer can interpret it to mean that you should use your US passport when you travel into foreign countries. I'm not arguing that it's a requirement, but rather a CBP officer's possible interpretation of the law.

How much could they offer, no matter what other citizenships you have? Besides, anyone who left a repressive regime understands that if said regime still considers you a citizen, if you return there you are on your own.
Political and diplomatic intervention can differ depending on what citizenship you hold.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/08/04/nkorea.clinton/index.html

One may still get hassled for doing so by a zealous CBP officer who believes that you should travel on your US passport (even if there is no rule saying you must).

Hassled, perhaps. But I'm a citizen. I can't be denied re-entry.

It's relevant to the argument that a CBP officer can interpret it to mean that you should use your US passport when you travel into foreign countries. I'm not arguing that it's a requirement, but rather a CBP officer's possible interpretation of the law.

And the consequences are....? I get sent into secondary where the supervisor has a clue and tells me to go on my way.

Diplomatic and political intervention can vary depending on what lobbying your friends and relatives make, how much publicity there is, and what US foreign policy objectives can be achieved by such intervention. ;)

Does anybody have a clear idea if the US recognizes double citizenship? We say we give up loyalty to other countries, but having a foreign passport is not a crime according to my understanding. Is it?

As for what passport to use when travel, a friend of mine from Russia who is a naturalized US citizen told me the other day that they made her travel with Russian passport. This is because US citizens need visa to enter Russia.

What does it mean? Passing passport control when leaving the US, she can show her US passport. Coming back and passing through passport control, she needs to show her US passport. Indeed,an extra curious officer asks why she does not have a Russian stamp? She would reply that she has a double citizenship.

My question is: Is it a crime? Can we be prosecuted for that?

My question is: Is it a crime? Can we be prosecuted for that?

No, it's not a crime to hold dual citizenship. A CBP officer official may question it, and tell you that the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, but nothing else. In other words you are free to travel with whatever passport you wish to a foreign country, but you must use US passport to leave and enter US.

No, it's not a crime to hold dual citizenship. A CBP officer official may question it, and tell you that the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, but nothing else. In other words you are free to travel with whatever passport you wish to a foreign country, but you must use US passport to leave and enter US.
I think a lot of confusion arises because of the subtle difference between "allowing" and "recognizing" dual-citizenship. The US allows it in as much as they don't prevent you also being claimed as a citizen by another country and therefore holding a passport of that country. However, they don't really recognize it since, as far as they are concerned, you are American. Specifically, when you are in the US, the US government will not entertain any other country claiming that you are their citizen. As far as I'm aware, this is the same stance taken by the majority of countries that don't explicitly prohibit multiple citizenships.

This brings up an interesting question: if you are a dual citizen and then move to another country, would the US refuse you entry if you tried using your foreign passport to enter the US on any future visits? (provided you were asked if you were a US citizen).

Is the person also carrying proof of US citizenship? If so, entry cannot be denied, it could be delayed however. I also believe a $100 fine can be imposed too.

would the US refuse you entry if you tried using your foreign passport to enter the US on any future visits? (provided you were asked if you were a US citizen).

This brings up an interesting question: if you are a dual citizen and then move to another country, would the US refuse you entry if you tried using your foreign passport to enter the US on any future visits? (provided you were asked if you were a US citizen).
The law states that it is illegal for a US citizen to enter or leave, or attempt to enter or leave, the US without possession of a valid US passport. Therefore, you would be committing a crime for which you could be charged. However, if you can prove in some other way that you are a US citizen then they can't refuse you admission. They'll just arrest you as soon as they let you in. ;)