Dual Citizenship

Ladybuggy,
You could have perhaps gone the "Beibehaltungserlaubnis" route. Die deutschen Behoerden eraluben jetzt unter bestimmten Umstaenden die Beibehaltung der deutschen Staatsangehoerigkeit... Moeglicherweise kannst du da noch was machen? Es ist definitiv den Versuch wert. :) Well, each situation is different.

Cafeconleche,
I must admit that my outlook during the I485 process was not very positiv either. That's what a couple years of waiting do to ya....

Iluvfra .. I appreciate your Input put I just didn't see a reason why I should keep it. I am never going to get my retirement. I paid maybe 2 years of Taxes and like I said after living here for so long I have no right to go back to my homecountry and not being able to find a job with 3 kids and then live of the Government when I haven't paid Taxes in over a decade.
If the Deutsche Mark was still there I would maybe consider it but with the Euro there is no way.
Keeping my German Citizenship among my American wouldn't make a difference to me in any way at all.
So I went the "simple" route.

I went the Beibehaltungserlaubnis route and I am happy that I did. One never knows what will happen and with Europe expanding every year it might have it advantages. Also, I travel a lot and to certain regions I'd rather travel on a EU passport than US.
Plus, with 2 passports I will always have valid travel documents.

I went the Beibehaltungserlaubnis route and I am happy that I did. One never knows what will happen and with Europe expanding every year it might have it advantages. Also, I travel a lot and to certain regions I'd rather travel on a EU passport than US.
Plus, with 2 passports I will always have valid travel documents.

That's how I see it.

MartinAub,
I am with you on the Beibehaltungs issue. Why give up my citizenship if I don't have to? Now, if one want to cut ties with the government, people and your heritage, I guess, renouncing your citizenship is one way of doing it. The German government gladly removes you from the record if you wish. I also did the Beibehaltungerlaubnis to avoid loosing my citizenship. Jedem das Seine.

Ladybuggy,
"If the Deutsche Mark was still there I would maybe consider it but with the Euro there is no way..." Help me understand this...

Does the Beibehaltungerlaubnis allow you to retain citizenship if you were naturalized and not born in Germany?

Bobysmyth,
I don't think they will let you do that. I had to establish that I was born and raised in Germany... Furthermore, they made get a crapload of documentation to clearly establish my ties to the country (financial, heritage, education in Germany etc.).

The German citizenship laws are messed up! However, they loosened up a bit recently. Beibehaltung did not exist 10 years ago... aquiring US citizenship then would have resulted in automatic loss of German citizenship.

Even becoming a German citizen is a pain in the butt!

So, I am somewhat surprised that Ladybuggy, a natural born German citizen, doesn't mind waiving that right... It her choice. Perhaps her kids would be glad to derive German citizenship through her... I feel that I would rob my children of their heritage...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Deutsche Mark was still there I would maybe consider it but with the Euro there is no way..." Help me understand this...

I don't come from a rich family. I guess in the US we would of been considered low/medium income. We made it through the month but there was never anything left over. I am talking about the Deutsche Mark now.

Now when the Euro came in and I have to say I left right before so I only get Feedback from my Mother, Father and Sister and it seems like that a lot has gone down hill. Is it due to the Euro. I don't know.

I am glad to see that there has been changes made when it comes to certain money you recieve and for example when you quit your job you have a "hold" for money you normally recieved .. I don't know for how long.

Anyways ... my whole point is why keep both. The decision I made was long and hard and I didn't find out that I could get dual citizenship in the middle of my application process. Yes I could of maybe made a change but like I said. I won't go back to germany unless for a visit. I don't have the right in my opinion "to live of the government" when I haven't paid Taxes in over a decade and I won't be able to raise 3 children on my own since I probably won't get a good job since I also haven't worked in over a decade. Then there is taking my children away from their dad if it would ever come down to that.

Everyone has their own and personal reasons why they do it or don't do it. Before applying my parents and sisters opinion was very important to me and they all gave me the "go do it". Does that change me as a person : NO ... Does this not make me their Daughter or Sister anymore : NO ... I am still me just with a paper that say ok now you are an american instead of a german. I am still me.

With the Travel. I haven't traveled outside of the US since the Day I stepped Foot inside the US. We might have a chance to go back to germany for another couple years of military duty but it won't matter with which passport I travel. Other than that .. I don't travel. I haven't even left the state ever since I got here. Army keeps us here for whatever reason even though we are trying to go somewhere else, lol

I don't come from a rich family. I guess in the US we would of been considered low/medium income. We made it through the month but there was never anything left over. I am talking about the Deutsche Mark now.

Now when the Euro came in and I have to say I left right before so I only get Feedback from my Mother, Father and Sister and it seems like that a lot has gone down hill. Is it due to the Euro. I don't know.

I am glad to see that there has been changes made when it comes to certain money you recieve and for example when you quit your job you have a "hold" for money you normally recieved .. I don't know for how long.

Anyways ... my whole point is why keep both. The decision I made was long and hard and I didn't find out that I could get dual citizenship in the middle of my application process. Yes I could of maybe made a change but like I said. I won't go back to germany unless for a visit. I don't have the right in my opinion "to live of the government" when I haven't paid Taxes in over a decade and I won't be able to raise 3 children on my own since I probably won't get a good job since I also haven't worked in over a decade. Then there is taking my children away from their dad if it would ever come down to that.

Everyone has their own and personal reasons why they do it or don't do it. Before applying my parents and sisters opinion was very important to me and they all gave me the "go do it". Does that change me as a person : NO ... Does this not make me their Daughter or Sister anymore : NO ... I am still me just with a paper that say ok now you are an american instead of a german. I am still me.

With the Travel. I haven't traveled outside of the US since the Day I stepped Foot inside the US. We might have a chance to go back to germany for another couple years of military duty but it won't matter with which passport I travel. Other than that .. I don't travel. I haven't even left the state ever since I got here. Army keeps us here for whatever reason even though we are trying to go somewhere else, lol

I understand what you are saying.... Nationality means more to me than what color the passport book is. By renouncing my German citizenship, I turn my back on Germany - right? I mean that's a legitimate choice but that's what it is- you turn your back against where you come from. Some people at home really despise that!

By implication, the Auslanderamt and Bundegranzschutz will view you like any Auslander - no rights no nothing. If you can stomach that - good for you! I can't. That's why I will keep my German citizenship.

See it's more than... "Hmmm which passport shall I use today?" Rather, as stated by some of the other guys... you never know what the future holds.....

I wish all of you a safe, long weekend!!!

Bobysmyth,
I don't think they will let you do that. I had to establish that I was born and raised in Germany... Furthermore, they made get a crapload of documentation to clearly establish my ties to the country (financial, heritage, education in Germany etc.).

The German citizenship laws are messed up! However, they loosened up a bit recently. Beibehaltung did not exist 10 years ago... aquiring US citizenship then would have resulted in automatic loss of German citizenship.

Actually what I meant is if they allow Beibehaltungerlaubnis for someone who has German citizenship by descent but who has never lived in Germany and whose parent(s) no longer live in Germany. For example, I assume I have German citizenship by descent (German mother) but would loose that once I became US citizen unless I apply for Beibehaltungerlaubnis?
From what I read, at least your father has to be German citizen for you to become German citizen by birth and your parents were married at the time.
http://www.germany.info/relaunch/info/consular_services/citizenship/generalinformation.html
So I guess I'm not a German citizen afterall.

I know... too many Krauts on this board ;)

Bobsmyth,
I would call the German consulate and find out. Tell them that your mother was German. Was you mother German at the time of your birth? I think that is the determining factor.
Give them a call. Beibehaltung is not necessary be an issue unless you become a naturalized US citizen. If you became a US citizen through birth on U.S. soil or through one parent - no Beibehaltung needed. In your case, your German citizenship would be determined through "blood" not based on residence.