Dual citizenship travel related question

Roderickjon

Registered Users (C)
Maybe anybody can shed some light on my question. I hold a US passport and EU passport. In January I will be traveling to Brazil for1 week. There is a visa requirement for US citizens but not for EU memberstates. Will I have problems leaving the US if there isn't a visa in my US passport? My fear is that If I run into an airline employee without knowledge about dual citizenship I might not be allowed on the plane. I understand that legaly I need to show my US passport when leaving the US, so without visa for Brazil I might not be allowed on the plane. A visa to brazil is abot $200 so I like to save the money if I can. Does anybody with experience know what I need to do? Thanx.

You can show your EU passport at check in to show that you do not require a visa.
You must show your US passport to immigration on your return.

Thank you for you response. Isn't there a law that says that I have to leave the US with a US passport though?
Also when I show my EU passport, isn't the airline going to ask for the I94 ? Since I live in the US I don't have the I94 so it may lead to more confusion.

again thank you for the response. What about that I94 form that they would rip out of the passport at departure? I don't have one in my EU passport. Is that going to cause a problem with the airline?

Thank you for the link. I would get the visa but I am pressed for time and rather not spend the 200 bucks if I can get around it.

Thank you for you response. Isn't there a law that says that I have to leave the US with a US passport though?
Also when I show my EU passport, isn't the airline going to ask for the I94 ? Since I live in the US I don't have the I94 so it may lead to more confusion.
Just show both passports when you check in, and then the EU-member country passport for entry to Brazil and the US passport for re-entry to the US. I guess you might need to show both again on leaving Brazil in case they see the US passport and wonder why you didn't have a visa.

Check-in for the flight to Brazil using your EU passport. As simple as that.

I will be catching a flight to Heathrow from O'Hare in the next 10 hours. The last two trips I made to the UK, I used my US passport to enter. This time, just for a change, I will enter the UK using my Canadian passport. So when I check-in for my flight today, I will show them my Canadian passport only. If the agent then asks for an I-94 or a GC, only then will I let him/her know that I possess US citizenship too.

Does anybody with experience know what I need to do?

The regulation states that US citizens must be in possession of a US passport when they leave the US. That regulation does not enforce US citizens to use a US passport when entering their destination, nor does it force US citizens to check-in with the airline using a US passport.

Isn't there a law that says that I have to leave the US with a US passport though?

I appreciate the responses. I will try the same thing. Can you let me know what the airline agent said after you show her your canadian passport. Thank you.

I appreciate the responses. I will try the same thing. Can you let me know what the airline agent said after you show her your canadian passport. Thank you.

I'd guess something like " Thankyou very much enjoy your flight" :)

Don't worry, you are not doing anything wrong.

Expired Canadian Passport with old name

Hi All,

I've been a Canadian citizen for quite some time now. My Canadian passport expired over two years ago. I became a U.S citizen a few months ago. While becoming a U.S citizen I changed my name. Now here is the question. When I drive to Canada which passport do I show? My expired passport has my old name. I'm told that when I enter Canada I need to show my Canadian passport. Do I show my old passport with the name change document? Please help me. Tks.

The question then becomes: when airline employees check your passport at check in the US, do they verify if you have the required Visa to enter the foreign country? I would say no, since they are just checking your passport for identification. Only once you arrive at foreign destination does customs check for required visa.So if you show US passport at exit in US and then EU passport at entry in Brazil I would think you wouldn't have any problems.

The question then becomes: when airline employees check your passport at check in the US, do they verify if you have the required Visa to enter the foreign country? I would say no, since they are just checking your passport for identification. Only once you arrive at foreign destination does customs check for required visa.So if you show US passport at exit in US and then EU passport at entry in Brazil I would think you wouldn't have any problems.

The airline is actually doing three things with your passport:

1. They use it as an official form of identification to make sure you are the person whose name is on the ticket.

2. For aliens, they act on behalf of CBP/USCIS in collecting an I-94 or I-94(W) if you are a non-resident, or scanning your greencard if you are a resident. The passport is used to identify you as an alien.

3. They perform a preliminary check to make sure that you have the correct documentation for entry to your destination country. I believe that if you are turned back by immigration then the airline has to return you at their expense, and can be fined if it is shown that they were negligent in their checks.

The best approach for people with more than one passport is to offer both at check-in. This will ensure that all needs are met. For example, in the case of the OP both passports deal with use 1, the US one handles use 2 and the EU one is needed for 3.

The airline is actually doing three things with your passport:

1. They use it as an official form of identification to make sure you are the person whose name is on the ticket.

2. For aliens, they act on behalf of CBP/USCIS in collecting an I-94 or I-94(W) if you are a non-resident, or scanning your greencard if you are a resident. The passport is used to identify you as an alien.

3. They perform a preliminary check to make sure that you have the correct documentation for entry to your destination country. I believe that if you are turned back by immigration then the airline has to return you at their expense, and can be fined if it is shown that they were negligent in their checks.

The best approach for people with more than one passport is to offer both at check-in. This will ensure that all needs are met. For example, in the case of the OP both passports deal with use 1, the US one handles use 2 and the EU one is needed for 3.

This is exactly right, the important part being that the airline is liable to be heavily fined if they allow you to travel without the correct documents, therfore they must see the passport which will allow you to enter the country will travel.

Thank you for the detailed responses. So hopefully you are correct and I won't get turned back at checkin because of a confused airline employee who doesn't let me board the plane due to the missing visa and at the same token doesn't accept my EU passport because on US soil only my US passport is valid. That is my biggest fear. I know that I have 2 legal documents, but not everybody might know how the law applies in this case.

Thank you for the detailed responses. So hopefully you are correct and I won't get turned back at checkin because of a confused airline employee who doesn't let me board the plane due to the missing visa and at the same token doesn't accept my EU passport because on US soil only my US passport is valid. That is my biggest fear. I know that I have 2 legal documents, but not everybody might know how the law applies in this case.

Relax, airline check in staff have a screen on their computer showing what documents they require, if you have a problem ask for a supervisor.
You are NOT doing anything wrong or illegal.
If you are extremely nervous spend $200 on the visa for the sake of peace of mind, but it is not needed.