Driver's license after GC valid for just one year?

Totally agree with you, However I know that you know that an individual DMV employee's discretion (even if it contradicts official policy/procedure) will dictate the outcome unless challenged. :)

If you have a Green Card with an expiration date (which you should!) then you should get a 5 year license.

One of my friend having GC renewed his driver's license in Atlanta in last week and was given licence valid for only 1 month. Prior to this when he was on J1 visa, he was given licence for 3 years.

abhuda

One of my friend having GC renewed his driver's license in Atlanta in last week and was given licence valid for only 1 month.
Might have been a temporary license to use while they verify his status. That's what they do in Florida ... they gave a 30-day permit at the DMV, then mail you the actual longer-term license after verifying your immigration status.

Might have been a temporary license to use while they verify his status. That's what they do in Florida ... they gave a 30-day permit at the DMV, then mail you the actual longer-term license after verifying your immigration status.

I got mine in Florida with GC, valid for 7 yrs....

You are right about the DMV employees. However, I doubt that quoting anything helps. I waited in a few lines for hours just to hear their nonsense. I only hope they’ll wake up by next year when I’ll renew my license again. It is not fair that we pay the same amount for one year as it is charged for 5 years (I am not complaining about the amount, but about the fairness). I also think that if you are right, they are basically breaking the law.

Get the name of the Director of the GA DMV and send them a letter by certified mail, stating your situation and quoting the appropriate law. You will almost certainly get a satisfactory result. Desk clerks are useless - start at the top and then it will get handed down to the appropriate person to TAKE ACTION.

I got mine in Florida with GC, valid for 7 yrs....
How long did you have a GC before that renewal? I had to renew mine about a couple weeks after GC approval, and they said they were giving me a 30-day permit because my GC wasn't in their system. They said when I renew it next time, my GC will already be in their system so I'll directly get the multiyear license.

One of my friend having GC renewed his driver's license in Atlanta in last week and was given licence valid for only
1 YEAR. Prior to this when he was on J1 visa, he was given licence for 3 years.

One of my friend having GC renewed his driver's license in Atlanta in last week and was given licence valid for only
1 YEAR. Prior to this when he was on J1 visa, he was given licence for 3 years.
OK, so you meant "year" in your previous post. Thanks for clarifying.

How long did you have a GC before that renewal? I had to renew mine about a couple weeks after GC approval, and they said they were giving me a 30-day permit because my GC wasn't in their system. They said when I renew it next time, my GC will already be in their system so I'll directly get the multiyear license.

me & spouse renewed our DLs after GC. We both got for 4 years. We are in NJ. From this thread it looks like diferrent states have different ways of addressing this issue. Is that correct?

GC recd: 06/2007

me & spouse renewed our DLs after GC. We both got for 4 years. We are in NJ. From this thread it looks like diferrent states have different ways of addressing this issue. Is that correct?
Entirely different. Driver's licenses are regulated by the states, not the Federal government. Each state sets their own rules, with different number of years on the license, different fees, different driving tests, different criteria for giving licenses to noncitizens, etc.

If a state like Georgia gives only one year to your DL

Suggestion is moving out that shit hole to another state - there are more states than some narrow-minded southern states. Not much money or quality life can be found in shit places like Georgia anyway, am I right.

It is so ridiculous that it is beyond my belief that GA will give one year DL to people with GC.

Not much money or quality life can be found in shit places like Georgia anyway, am I right.

Actually, you're wrong.

It is so ridiculous that it is beyond my belief that GA will give one year DL to people with GC.

Georgia does no such thing; they will give a GC for up to 5 years, up to the expiration date of the physical card. That's what the law says. If the idiot DMV clerks don't follow the law, that's a separate problem, but that can occur anywhere.

Update on the Georgia Department of Driver Services Website

I guess this is what confused them to issue a 1 year only driver's license. I hope next time it will work better (and they won't blame USCIS).
“Effective January 1, 2008, Georgia law requires DDS to verify all immigration documents presented by non-citizens through the United States Custom and Immigration Service (USCIS) via a program known as SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement.) In most cases, the verification can be completed immediately during the customer’s driver’s license or identification card transaction. In some cases verification may take several days or several weeks. Until the documentation is verified by USCIS, DDS is unable to issue a driver’s license or identification card. If the verification is unsuccessful, the customer will be given a form with instructions and time frames to contact USCIS or return to the Customer Service Center at a later date.
Once immigration documentation is verified with USCIS, a Georgia driver's license or identification card may be issued with an expiration date that matches the immigration documentation expiration date, but no longer than 5 years. If there is no expiration date on the immigration documentation, a license/identification card can only be issued for a period of 1 year. The cost of the license/ID is $20”
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?con=1741471757&ty=dl

Since we're discussing this topic, I shall post my experience in case it may be useful to anyone.

I had renewed my DL last year (NJ) while on H1B and before I was forwarded to the clerk who takes photos etc, the receptionist thoroughly checked my documents in her computer. I am guessing there was some linkage to the USCIS system where she was checking the authenticity of my approved I-797 form. I was given a three year DL and it stated that I was on on "Temp Immgr Status".

When I got my GC few months ago, I went to the DMV and asked for a new license. The receptionist told me not to worry about the wording and renew my DL when it expired instead of wasting money on a new one. She also mentioned that there was no obligation on my part to inform DMV about my status change. She sounded quite confident and seemed to know what she was talking about, so I took her word and still carry a DL that has the temporary status wording on it.

Stoned!

Since we're discussing this topic, I shall post my experience in case it may be useful to anyone.

I had renewed my DL last year (NJ) while on H1B and before I was forwarded to the clerk who takes photos etc, the receptionist thoroughly checked my documents in her computer. I am guessing there was some linkage to the USCIS system where she was checking the authenticity of my approved I-797 form. I was given a three year DL and it stated that I was on on "Temp Immgr Status".

When I got my GC few months ago, I went to the DMV and asked for a new license. The receptionist told me not to worry about the wording and renew my DL when it expired instead of wasting money on a new one. She also mentioned that there was no obligation on my part to inform DMV about my status change. She sounded quite confident and seemed to know what she was talking about, so I took her word and still carry a DL that has the temporary status wording on it.

Stoned!

Why do not you want anyway to apply for the new one (normal without restricting notes on it) ? You never know how that "Temp Immgr Status" can cause problems for you.

Kind of some stupid clerk in the bank may not take it as your real ID or you will be refused to board on the plane by other clerk.
If I were you I would do my best to get normal DL without restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do not you want anyway to apply for the new one (normal without restricting notes on it) ? You never know how that "Temp Immgr Status" can cause problems for you.

Kind of some stupid clerk in the bank may not take it as your real ID or you will be refused to board on the plane by other clerk.
If I were you I would do my best to get normal DL without restrictions.

I personally do not really care much for the wording, my bigger concern was if I had an obligation to inform the NJ DMV which it did not seem like I did.

Stoned!