Don't want to take Citizenship.

n_2008

Don't want to take US Citizenship.

I just passed my Citizenship Test and will have to go for an Oath in 2-3 weeks.

I have just changed my mind and decided not to take US Citizenshp as I am thinking going back to India. You might think me fool, but I have my own reasons for doing this, and I have made this decision after thinking a lot.

If you can please help me out with the information of legal procedure for doing the same.

Will I be able to keep my green card status, if I don't want to take a citizenship or Do I have to surrender my green card?

Please reply.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

I have changed my mind and decided not to take US Citizenshp as I am thinking going back to India. What is the legal procedure I need to do for this?

Will I be able to keep my green card status if I don't want to take a citizenship or Do I have to surrender my green card?

Please reply.

Thanks

This is because India does not reconize dual citizenship. Yes you do not have to attend and when you move back you can hand in your green card or just let it become invalid.

There is nothing much you really need to do, I don't know if you need to inform INS about it at all or if you just don't need to show up and that will be that.

You will however, upon leaving realize you will not be allowed back into the US under the green card status later on, so it's a permanent thing unless you want to re-apply for the green card the same method you used before to obtain it...

You can still become US citizen and return to live in India. However, if you have already looked at all options and fell that it would better for you not to take US citizenship then return your oath letter and indicate that you wish to withdrawal your application. Just remember you can't have it both ways..(ie. be a US LPR and return to live in India.)

I have changed my mind and decided not to take US Citizenshp as I am thinking going back to India. What is the legal procedure I need to do for this?

Will I be able to keep my green card status if I don't want to take a citizenship or Do I have to surrender my green card?

Please reply.

Thanks

What is wrong with you ? You want to return to india with the intention of coming back and you don't wnt to be a US citizen ? You will not be allow to re-enter the US after 12 months because you green card will be invalidated.

however, if you become a US citizen, you can leave the US for up to 100 years (Note that pass 100 years, you will be considered dead :D) and return with no fears of loosing your US citizenship.

You better think twice.

You can always send a letter to USCIS to ask for cancellation of your naturalization procedure. Man, that will be a silly decision that will be regretted later. i promise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't resist: THIS IS THE MOST IDIOTIC THING I HAVE EVER READ.

Sorry, don't mean to hurt your feelings....

Everyone has different reasons for obtaining US citizenship..what may be the ultimate goal or dream for some, for others it's just a formality and overall doesn't affect the quality of their life.

WOOOOWWWW:eek:
This is something I’ve never imagined as something possible to happen.

Although I am no judge to you, I hope you have a VERY good reason for doing this. You realize that once you do this, you'll most likely never be able to come back and live here as a GC holder.

I guess people here are right; all you have to do is not to show up and perhaps send a letter to USCIS telling them that you changed your mind. AS for your GC, if you want to keep it then you'll have to come to US every 6 months so you don't overstay and lose it. Otherwise, just go home and keep the card as a souvenir.

Good luck to you.

AS for your GC, if you want to keep it then you'll have to come to US every 6 months so you don't overstay and lose it.

Not true. CBP and USCIS officers are trained to spot green card surfers. If they notice that every few months, someone is constantly coming back for a few days, they have the authority to bar this individual from entering the US.

bobsmyth,
You bet! But coming this far and abandoning the last step is, I guess, a rather strange decision. As they say... "To each their own".

Let your spouse do it

I have just changed my mind and decided not to take US Citizenshp as I am thinking going back to India. What is the legal procedure I need to do for this?

Will I be able to keep my green card status, if I don't want to take a citizenship or Do I have to surrender my green card?

Please reply.

Thanks
If you are married, then let your spouse take the citizenship, so down the line if you want to come back you can get the GC immediately.

bobsmyth,
You bet! But coming this far and abandoning the last step is, I guess, a rather strange decision. As they say... "To each their own".

Obviously the OP hasn't studied all the implications before applying..uninformed decisions lead to poor judgment. I can't see no other reason for someone to go this far and then want to abandon it.

I am seeking proper guideline for abandoning. And not becomming a US Citizen.

I appreciate all user's replies. with seeking a proper answer to this question.

Thank You All,

If your intention is to move back to India and reside, just don't go to oath and destroy your GC once you return to India.

Not true. CBP and USCIS officers are trained to spot green card surfers. If they notice that every few months, someone is constantly coming back for a few days, they have the authority to bar this individual from entering the US.

My bad. Didn't know that.

P.S. n_2008, please, don't get upset with our comments. It's a forum where people not only seek advices, but they also discuss issues. This is America where everybody has the right of speech. Just ignore those comments that you think are inappropriate.

Some of the replies are so judgemental. The OP wants to follow the rules is just trying to find out what the rith procedure is. If he/she does it the right way he can still visit the USA, make businesss trips or even return on a L1/H1B if he so wishes.

There are some limitations to what on Overseas Citizen of India can do and maybe he/she does not want to be restricted by those limitations.

Is there a need to put down someone just because their aspirations do not match yours?

Why wouldn't you just get dual citizenship from India? India does offer a dual citizen program which gives you the ability to reside there indefinitely albeit without the ability to vote or work in certain government positions.

If you do not accept US citizenship now, it will be very difficult to come back to the US. On the other hand you can now settle down in India with US citizenship. If you later decide to give up US citizenship, you may get denaturalized and get back your Indian citizenship. Check with Indian government if it is possible to regain Indian citizenship.

This way you can keep your options open for a little longer, settled down in India and make a more informed decision later.

Just my opinion - you are the best judge, but I think you may regret your decision not to take up US citizenship.

Against my better judgement, I just can't help but get drawn into this. If the object is to be able to reside in India, then the dual citizenship or OCI should prove sufficient. You have the ability to reside indefinitely, work without requiring a work permit, pay taxes and buy/sell property/assets et al. The only restrictions as I see them are an inability to work for the government or participate in the political process (including losing the ability to vote). Logically, this allows you to keep your options open as well as gives you a path back to Indian citizenship within 3 years, if you so choose.

So I'm curious - what specific benefit do you see in losing the US citizenship?

From the OPs statement, it appears he has previously gone through all the advice being given here. His question is if there's a legal way to abandon his application and GC since he's moving back home. Since this has already been answered all other advice is really off topic.
Perhaps we should start another thread " Should I give up my GC and naturalization application since I'm moving back to India?"