Don't want to take Citizenship.

People have various reasons for making-up/changing their minds. It is nobody's job to judge the intentions personal to someone else. This is a forum for discussions, related to immigration and I think it is very appropriate for n_2008 to post such a topic. By that I believe n_2008 did not intent to hurt any body's feeling. There are a number of reasons personally, for myself to be skeptical about accepting the US citizenship. Of course OCI helps, but bear in mind you cannot 'OWN' agricultural properties in India. This has been a gray area as you can grow stuff and people do stuff in any land. There is no clear distinction mentioned about agricultural properties vs. other properties. By 'agricultural property' is it where you have something planted (even a few coconut trees), is having a plot of more than 10 acres of land considered to be agricultural? Or what are the criteria. It is obvious that you cannot own (NOT ONLY BUY) agricultural properties in India once you become a non-citizen. Yes, the property registration authority does not ask for a citizen-ship document at the time of buying/selling (at least not yet, or not that I am aware of). But what if they change the rule and bring in new regulations. What could happen to the properties that you already own? Most People I know have made remarkable investment in real-estate in India, regardless of whether the property is agricultural or not. The real-estate market in India is very thriving and, for a person who has all his stakes in such an investment, no other reason is required to think twice about abandoning the Citizenship. There can be a number of other reasons, such a declining and receding US economy and the US empire as such as well as thriving Indian and other Asian markets. It can also be about education of the children, retirement, cultural bonds and so on.
The bottom line: This is a very interesting topic that came-up since I started visiting this website about 8 years ago. This topic is about what it is and very well in a forum that it is appropriate for. So let us try to keep this active and share our thoughts and comments in a more pleasant manner.
Cheers.;)

You might be right, maybe I was a little hostile, but it is frustrating that some people even in this forum have been waiting for years to get their citizenship, and waiting proudly and without complaint. and out of the blue you come across someone who was given the privilege to become a US citizen and wants to disgard it. Why start all the process and clutter even more the system with his paper if he or she didn't really want the naturalization. Its beyond me. But then again is not for me to judge, only I think the poster should have a little respect for the people of this forum.

"Why start all the process and clutter even more the system with his paper if he or she didn't really want the naturalization. Its beyond me. But then again is not for me to judge, only I think the poster should have a little respect for the people of this forum."

That's the beauty of this country - everyone can file anything they want and even clutter the system if they wish to do so. By the way... he/she paid alot of money for his application... I was also frustrsted when I read this post but what is it to me? Water of my back.... I wish the guy good luck.

This thread is becoming argumentative, let's keep the tone down, please !!! Let's respect other people's decisions and not be demeaning to them, please !!! Remember, this is what America is all about !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Call conversation

(HUMOR) I just called the embassy of my country of birth to see when to renounce my

citizenship,

:mad:Nigerian Embassy Officer: we dont care what you do..... you

dont have
money so we dont need you.

:confused:I said: Thank youuuuu ! but can i ask you something?

:mad:Nigerian Embassy officer: what?

:eek: I said: what if i had the opportunity of becoming an American citizen and i

was at the end of the process, but i turned it down at the last minute...what

would you think?

:mad:Nigerian Embassy officer: I would think someone had put voodoo on you.

if i were you i would take it and take advantage of te previlage and rights

that America gave to you. After all we never give; but take $ from you when you visit Nigeria .

:)I said: Thanks i'll call another time i have questions

:mad:Ng Embassy Officer: Your next call will cost you $2.00 per

minute, (pls dont call us back)

My saying: The truth is I Love my country of birth and my new Country that adopted me,

I will show respect to both countries, but STAND BY the one that appreciates

me most (USA-USA-USA):D

Last edited by a moderator: