Does it ever end?

Hmm, I agree that you can be yourself while being American (not that I'm a citizen yet), but I have also lived in other places, and I don't feel that this country has a monopoly.

Hmm, I agree that you can be yourself while being American (not that I'm a citizen yet), but I have also lived in other places, and I don't feel that this country has a monopoly.

I didn't say it had a monopoly, merely that just because you become an American citizens that it doesn't mean that you have ceased to be Indian or whatever.

Maybe you still want to report AR-11 to the USCIS after becoming a citizen.
What if you really se4nd a AR-11? Will the USCIS send it back or just process it?

Please try it and let us know how it goes.
I doubt he will even try that ... that poster has a habit of speculating unnecessary scenarios ... always some kind of weird hypothesis with him ... may be he/she has nothing better to do

I doubt he will even try that ... that poster has a habit of speculating unnecessary scenarios ... always some kind of weird hypothesis with him ... may be he/she has nothing better to do

I think that's why Huracan told him to try it.. :D

Just came back from a long trip in Europe. Hand my passport to the border agent.,First question I was asked : "How long have you lived in the United States?"
I almost wanted to say "longer than you you little sh1t!"..because it was probably true. He asked where I stayed and where I have traveled.....5-6 questions all together.
I never got "welcome home"...just a stamp in my passport. As long as they see you weren't born in the US they treat you as a second class citizen!

I have never been told "Welcome home" - not on GC, not on US passport. However, I have only traveled to Canada and only by car (ferry) so far. Seeing how dry and unfriendly CBP agents are, I doubt they say "Welcome home" to native-born Americans either. It does not bother me much because the border agents from my native country treat their citizens even worse :D

Hehe, I don't blame those border officials. And, if I remember correctly, this last time at JFK was the first time I was given a "Welcome Home," though I may have previously got a "Welcome Back."

I always got welcome home. At times even questions about best places to visit in Europe (my main destination when I travel). But I also realize that it's not their job to tell us welcome home so I don't care either way. As long as they are courteous and professional, I don't care if they don't talk at all.

I wouldn't take the question of how long have you lived in the US too personally. Perhaps they were just asking that to distinguish you from an impostor who might not know the correct answer to that question.

I wouldn't take the question of how long have you lived in the US too personally. Perhaps they were just asking that to distinguish you from an impostor who might not know the correct answer to that question.

I think they were asking questions just to see if you flinch or act nervous...while they wait on the computer. I don't think they have information on where I have traveled and how long I have lived here.( I have lived in the US most of my life illegally and I always tell them " over 20 years" when they ask me how long, even when I was one year fresh on a green card.)
And traveling...lol...few trips I took that would freak them out for sure if they only knew!
I think they look for an accent and see if you can understand English too. It's in their manual to ask questions like: What country you are a citizen of?" I always say American! :D just to piss them off and I refuse playing their games as well.

I think they look for an accent and see if you can understand English too. It's in their manual to ask questions like: What country you are a citizen of?" I always say American! :D just to piss them off and I refuse playing their games as well.
Do they really ask US citizens this question? If so, don't you have to answer "American" as required by law, and not just to piss them off? I am a bit confused here :)

I have never been told "Welcome home" - not on GC, not on US passport. However, I have only traveled to Canada and only by car (ferry) so far. Seeing how dry and unfriendly CBP agents are, I doubt they say "Welcome home" to native-born Americans either. It does not bother me much because the border agents from my native country treat their citizens even worse :D

Since becoming a USC, I travelled abroad once. When my wife (a natural-born USC) and I landed at JFK, neither one of us got a "Welcome home" or anything of the sort. In fact, the CBP agent who checked us in was rather curt and unfriendly. I guess it just depends on the general mood and attitude of the agent.

To my surprise, when I went to the DMV to have my name changed on my DL, the clerk said "Congratulations on getting your citizenship". I was shocked, as NYS DMV officials are known for their rudeness.

Last edited by a moderator: