Does "Draft" applicable to PR's/naturalised citizens

AmericanWannabe said:
To main order and security on streets, perhaps manpower is more important.

Perhaps, but if they stick you or me on the streets of Baghdad with a rifle in our hands, how long do you expect us to survive? ;)

candyroy said:
Not necc he got the go ahead from congress/senate in 2002 when he was given power to fight the war on ter as he sees fit

This is incorrect. Congress merely authorized the present to go to war - he must still get Congressional funding for the war, and in order to do a draft Congress must authorize it. At the very least, Congress must authorize the money to be spent to implement it. That's the core of the US separation of powers - Congress has control of the purse strings and can prevent the Executive from doing almost anything simply by forbidding that branch from spending any money it. This will be useful for your natz exam.

If you are unfamiliar with the concept, tell your wife that you're taking $200 out of the bank of an evening of eating, drinking and strippers. ;)

TheRealCanadian said:
Perhaps, but if they stick you or me on the streets of Baghdad with a rifle in our hands, how long do you expect us to survive? ;)

Since now the war is a atrition war by nature - to see who
wera out first. So the top brass may not care about
how long us last they care about how long the insurgents will last.

As long as us can outlast the insurgents, then the time is
on the us side.

qwertyisback said:
But as a PR , I don't think that PR is entitled or forced to war. All PR's didn't (as they can't) vote for previous election which is kind of mandate on war.... Does PR gets a chance to vote?? NO. Does PR treated same way as citizens??(in terms of protecting basic rights... patriot act can come hard on PR's but not on citizens) NO. Then how can government asks/force PR's to join army??

It would not be a stretch to apply that same argument to taxation, and we both know how far you'll get with that. :) I personally think it's wrong for the government to threaten the use of violence and force against me if I refuse to engage in force and violence against someone else, citizen or PR. However, if you immigrate to a country you become subject to its laws without the full benefit of the privileges of citizenship. Comes with the territory.

I think you and I will need to agree to disagree about the likelihood of a draft. I'll worry about more pressing issues.

AmericanWannabe said:
How many of you as PR still have the obligation to answer the call to serve in your home country?

When I was younger, I had Czech citizenship. I believe they still have a draft even now, but when I was 15 I renounced my citizenship - this was 1988, and the thought of getting stuck behind the Iron Curtain on exercises with the Red Army didn't appeal to me.

TheRealCanadian said:
When I was younger, I had Czech citizenship. I believe they still have a draft even now, but when I was 15 I renounced my citizenship - this was 1988, and the thought of getting stuck behind the Iron Curtain on exercises with the Red Army didn't appeal to me.

On a lighter note, that pretty much disqualifies you are a real Canadian, my friend? :)

Registration with SSS compulsary for PR's under 26!!!!!!

Not a single attorney told this to me!! Will it cause problems during citizenship if we don't register???
There is a requirement for GC holders to register with selective service system( of US army) if they want to become citizens!!!! How come no one discussed this issue. Take a look at this posting from sss website ( www.sss.gov)

STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.

CITIZENSHIP
The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday.

FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
The Workforce Investment Act (formerly called the Job Training Partnership Act - JTPA) offers programs that can train young men for jobs in auto mechanics and other skills. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service. This applies only to men born after December 31, 1959.

TheRealCanadian said:

Then what about your current citizenship country, Canada?

Of course Canada and USA are allies so that they have some mutual agreement to deal with this, otherwise if both Canada and USA
send you a draft notice, which one would you choose?

Things can be worse if US is going to war against a country
a PR is a ctizen of

hipka said:
Not a single attorney told this to me!! Will it cause problems during citizenship if we don't register???

Depends on your status. If you maintained valid non-immigrant status until your 26th birthday you are fine. I entered the US at age 25 on a TN, so I am exempt.

TheRealCanadian said:
I personally think it's wrong for the government to threaten the use of violence and force against me if I refuse to engage in force and violence against someone else, citizen or PR.

I won't exclude citizen. Its law of land which they belongs to. They have to follow the law and obey their commitments to their homeland. I don't argue with that at all. But PR's are just entity which allowed "to work and reside un US". I consider it, just as H1 without any restriction of employment and employer.

hipka said:
There is a requirement for GC holders to register with selective service system( of US army) if they want to become citizens!!!! How come no one discussed this issue. Take a look at this posting from sss website ( www.sss.gov)

STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for Federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.

CITIZENSHIP
The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday.

FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
The Workforce Investment Act (formerly called the Job Training Partnership Act - JTPA) offers programs that can train young men for jobs in auto mechanics and other skills. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service. This applies only to men born after December 31, 1959.

This topic has actuall been discussed to death.
Whenever a new PR ask what thinsg to do afgter becoming
a PR, then reply provide many kinds of lists and
SS registration is usuelaly among them

AmericanWannabe said:
Then what about your current citizenship country, Canada?

Canada has no draft, and has not had one since 1945. Considering that the armed forces are flying C-130s that are older than I am, they are more likely to follow Costa Rica's example and abolish the military altogether than they are to reinstitute the draft. Our largest recent deployment was in 1999 to remove 2 feet of snow from the streets of Toronto.

otherwise if both Canada and USA send you a draft notice, which one would you choose?

Actually, in such a circumstance I'll be a mercenary from the fine ladies from the planet Morg I was talking about earlier. ;) Having Canada and the US both have a draft is impossible. Trust me.

However, since we're in the hypothetical, if Canada attempted to draft me I would renounce my citizenship. There are thousands of prominent Canadian expatriates who would do the same.

qwertyisback said:
But PR's are just entity which allowed "to work and reside un US". I consider it, just as H1 without any restriction of employment and employer.

But PRs and Hs (and Bs and everyone else except A) still have to obey the laws of the land they are in.

hipka said:

I don't know how American know they have to register.
Maybe in high schools, teachers told them about this
requirements. But I once asked an American. He
said he learned it from watching TV ads.

I never saw any TV ads about SS

In my case the USCIS registered me!!! I got a mail telling me that I was reigistered and I need to update them with any address change.Do I need to keep updating the address for life or can I stop after 26?? Well it may have been discussed to death in this forum but I have not seen it in other forums and I'm new here, so please share if you know anything.Thanks

hipka said:
In my case the USCIS registered me!!! I got a mail telling me that I was reigistered and I need to update them with any address change.Do I need to keep updating the address for life or can I stop after 26?? Well it may have been discussed to death in this forum but I have not seen it in other forums and I'm new here, so please share if you know anything.Thanks

I think only 18-26 need to update address with them
because only they are subject to draft if the draft
is re-introduced. But you need to find exact
requirements.

In addtion to legal requirement about address updating,
maybe it is good idea tyo update address even if you after
26. Maybe oneday you need some proof letterfrom them
so that it is better to let them have your current address