Does "Draft" applicable to PR's/naturalised citizens

Can a boy younger than 18 years old register? I am worried
my boy may not care so much about it and fail to register
when he turns 18. So maybe I register him now

TheRealCanadian said:
However, since we're in the hypothetical, if Canada attempted to draft me I would renounce my citizenship. There are thousands of prominent Canadian expatriates who would do the same.

Is it legal in canada to renounce citizenship to avoid "draft"?? Don't they prosecute such peoples??
If not, then does law differs in US regarding this?? I had same q/s at start that
"Can PR say no to draft ??(PR might give up his/her GC, if required) And does law gives PR such choice or not??"

qwertyisback said:
But PR's are just entity which allowed "to work and reside un US". I consider it, just as H1 without any restriction of employment and employer.

Qwerty, my friend,

You operate from your assumption that "Most of immigrants come here with plans that after few yrs they will move back to home country. "
[http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=160210]
It might be true in your case, where you consider yourself a type of a highly-skilled "guest worker", you want to make some money and go back to your home country. But it is not a case for thousands of others, who come here for good and never want to go back.

And it is definitely not the viewpoint of the US government when they give you that pernament residency status. Remember, that you can get it not only by employment, but also by marriage to a US citizen, by being an adult child of US citizens parents, by serving for US military overseas etc.

So they expect you to think through all the implications of filing for the adjustment of status before you do that. They expect you to want to live in this country and indeed to make your residency here. And that comes with fulfilling some duties, so from the government standpoint it is only logical that you will have to serve in the military in case of the draft [=war]

qwertyisback said:
Is it legal in canada to renounce citizenship to avoid "draft"??

Qwerty, we are so far into the hypothetical now that we might as well be discussing wether the amazon warriors of the planet Morg are blondes or redheads. Canada has only ever had a draft twice in its history - in 1917 and 1944. Both times it split the country. Today there is a consensus that there will never be a draft.

However, I'll entertain you. Should Canada consider introducing such a law, I would renounce before its introduction - I don't believe that you can pass a retroactive law there.

The trick is to renounce before a law is introduced or tabled. Unfortunately, my understanding is that under the Selective Service Act, the US government has all of the statutory authority they need, so I'm afraid you won't be able to escape it so easily.

qwertyisback said:
Is it legal in canada to renounce citizenship to avoid "draft"?? Don't they prosecute such peoples??
If not, then does law differs in US regarding this?? I had same q/s at start that
"Can PR say no to draft ??(PR might give up his/her GC, if required) And does law gives PR such choice or not??"

At least on N-400 form there is a question
:"Have you everu give up your US citizenship in order to avoid
service in the military"?

qwertyisback said:
I won't exclude citizen. Its law of land which they belongs to. They have to follow the law and obey their commitments to their homeland. I don't argue with that at all. But PR's are just entity which allowed "to work and reside un US". I consider it, just as H1 without any restriction of employment and employer.

The people who should complain are unlawful aliens.
They are required by laws to register SS and
answer the draft but they don't even have the
right to legally live here

GeneM said:
Qwerty, my friend,

And it is definitely not the viewpoint of the US government when they give you that pernament residency status.

Does US goverment assumes that all PR's are future citizens?? Most will become but many will not choose be that way. One PR member on this forum "pv1976", don't even consider to apply for citizenship because of his sentimental values.

GeneM said:
So they expect you to think through all the implications of filing for the adjustment of status before you do that. They expect you to want to live in this country and indeed to make your residency here. And that comes with fulfilling some duties, so from the government standpoint it is only logical that you will have to serve in the military in case of the draft

Exactly, thats what I am trying to confirm with this discussion.So that all PR's are aware of facts. I even asked ar888, to check with Rajiv about his comments. ar888, any updates please??

Last edited by a moderator:
AmericanWannabe said:
The people who should complain are unlawful aliens.
They are required by laws to register SS and
answer the draft but they don't even have the
right to legally live here

Why should they complain?, they are illegal, unwanted (atleast from CIS point of view) but still continue to reside in US and avail benefits. In return government asks them to serve for country if required.

qwertyisback said:
Does US goverment assumes that all PR's are future citizens??

I think it has something to do with American history. In the far past,
it did not differentate citizens and noncitizens. So in fact all males
in the US wewre just required to be drafted if needed.

F-1 H1B etc are only exemept. Maybe they were not exemept
in the firts place