Does "Draft" applicable to PR's/naturalised citizens

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
Hi,
Does anybody know about "Draft" laws?? Does PR's/naturalised citizens are subject to draft??


Of course.

check this government agency (selective service system) website out

http://www.sss.gov

The disadvantage for PR to serve in the US army is to runthe risk
of being treated as mercernery, not protected by Genevan Concention.

In case of a war fighting with yoru citizen country, you can be
considered as a traitor by yoru hoem country
 

PhillyKP

Registered Users (C)
http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/rights.htm#Your Rights and Responsibilities
As a permanent resident, it is your responsibility to:

• Obey all federal, state, and local laws.

• Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.

• Register with the Selective Service (U.S. Armed Forces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26. See Register With the Selective Service for instructions.

• Maintain your immigration status.

• Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times.


http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/rights.htm#Register With the Selective Service
Register With the Selective Service
If you are a man and you are 18 to 26 years old, you must register with the Selective Service. When you register, you tell the government that you are available to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. The United States does not have a military draft now. Permanent residents and citizens do not have to serve in the Armed Forces unless they want to.

You can register at a United States post office or on the Internet. To register for Selective Service on the Internet, visit the Selective Service website: http://www.sss.gov. To speak with someone from the Selective Service, call 1-847-688-6888. This is not a free call.

You can also find information on the USCIS website http://www.uscis.gov.
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
AmericanWannabe said:
Of course.

check this government agency (selective service system) website out

http://www.sss.gov

The disadvantage for PR to serve in the US army is to runthe risk
of being treated as mercernery, not protected by Genevan Concention.

In case of a war fighting with yoru citizen country, you can be
considered as a traitor by yoru hoem country

Is this "selective Service" is same as "draft"??
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
PhillyKP said:
The United States does not have a military draft now.

Exactly, thats what I thought, "Selective service" is kind of ongoing thing but "draft" is something adhoc... Is it right??
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
Is this "selective Service" is same as "draft"??

Chekc that websuite out. All the info is there.

It is registration for draft. Once draft is invoked, regiostrant of SS
will be sleetcted randomly from to age group down.
 

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
Exactly, thats what I thought, "Selective service" is kind of ongoing thing but "draft" is something adhoc... Is it right??

Draft can be re-started. Bush promised no draft during election campaign and Kerry predict he would inevitably invoke the draft.

To invoke the draft, an act of the congress is needed.
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
AmericanWannabe said:
Chekc that websuite out. All the info is there.

It is registration for draft. Once draft is invoked, regiostrant of SS
will be sleetcted randomly from to age group down.

SO does that mean that age group 18-26 are only subject to draft?? As thats what the requirement for "Selective Services"...
 

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
SO does that mean that age group 18-26 are only subject to draft?? As thats what the requirement for "Selective Services"...

Yes by current laws (if one day there is a major war that need massive manpower. law will be changed to include all ages)

So if you are past 26 years and did not register with SS when you were 18-26 as required, now it is too late for you to correct wrong.
You won't get some benefits like eligibility for federal job,
soem fedrela student aid, US citizenship, etc for the rest of yoru life unless you can
prove your failure to register is unwilling

As for criminal prosecution, I don't know statute of limitation
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
AmericanWannabe said:
Yes by current laws (if one day there is a major war that need massive manpower. law will be changed to include all ages)

So if you are past 26 years and did not register with SS when you were 18-26 as required, now it is too late for you to correct wrong.
You won't get some benefits like eligibility for federal job,
soem fedrela student aid, US citizenship, etc for the rest of yoru life unless you can
prove your failure to register is unwilling

As for criminal prosecution, I don't know statute of limitation

When does this age factor is calculated??your age when you landed on US soil on H1 visa or age at the time of becoming PR?
 

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
When does this age factor is calculated??your age when you landed on US soil on H1 visa or age at the time of becoming PR?

The age of your becoming PR. H1 and F1 etc are exempt. But if you
ever lost yoru statu when you were 18-26 on US soil, then you
shoul dhave registered.

By law, all males 18-26 (citizens, PRs, illegal aliens) are
required to regisster unless already served in armed forces
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
AmericanWannabe said:
The age of your becoming PR. H1 and F1 etc are exempt. But if you
ever lost yoru statu when you were 18-26 on US soil, then you
shoul dhave registered.

By law, all males 18-26 (citizens, PRs, illegal aliens) are
required to regisster unless already served in armed forces

So PR's under 26,if drafted and selected, has to go on war? RIGHT. Do PR's have choice or not??
 

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
So PR's under 26,if drafted and selected, has to go on war? RIGHT. Do PR's have choice or not??

No _legal_ choice rather than go to war unless you leave
the states also mean automatically give up your GC.

You can apply for COnsicentious Objector statu,
which is very hard to get.

But I don't know what is teh case if a PR living baorad with re-entry permit
(Ironically, JoeF would do a profound research if he were here)
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
AmericanWannabe said:
No _legal_ choice rather than go to war unless you leave
the states also mean automatically give up your GC.

You can apply for COnsicentious Objector statu,
which is very hard to get.

What do you mean by "no_legal_choice"?? Can PR's say No to "draft" and give up GC and leave country ?? Is this is legal or NOT??
 

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
What do you mean by "no_legal_choice"?? Can PR's say No to "draft" and give up GC and leave country ?? Is this is legal or NOT??

Didn't I say "unless"?

If you don't want to give your PR, then you
don't have any _legal_ way to avoid it.

You can just ignore the draft, but such doing is
apparently is illegal

As I said, you may get a re-entry permit to stay abroad
but I am not sure. JoeF is not here otherwise he would
come up with something
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
AmericanWannabe said:
Didn't I say "unless"?

If you don't want to give your PR, then you
don't have any _legal_ way to avoid it.

I really like that there is a choice for PR's and its very comforting.
But,when I checked that site, I didn't find anywhere that PR can refuse draft or something like that. How you reached above conclusion??
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
I really like that there is a choice for PR's and its very comforting.
But,when I checked that site, I didn't find anywhere that PR can refuse draft or something like that. How you reached above conclusion??

What conclusion? I said there is no legal way to get around it
unless you leave the state4s to give up your PR status
 

qwertyisback

Registered Users (C)
AmericanWannabe said:
What conclusion? I said there is no legal way to get around it
unless you leave the state4s to give up your PR status

So you are suggesting "Run away" kind of plan. OK. I thought you want to say that if selected in draft, PR can say NO , give up his GC and leave country.
Is it RIGHT??

In that case, that option is available to everybody, just RUN AWAY, I don't think thats very respectable option anyway.
 

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
qwertyisback said:
So you are suggesting "Run away" kind of plan. OK. I thought you want to say that if selected in draft, PR can say NO , give up his GC and leave country.
Is it RIGHT??

In that case, that option is available to everybody, just RUN AWAY, I don't think thats very respectable option anyway.

You can leave before you get draft notice for sure.
I don't know if after you get draft first, is it still legal
to leave the states with the intent only to avoid draft).
 
Top