Documents needed for Naturalization

Hello Mom, Susie and everyone,
If I have a business gathering meeting with a consideration of the social distance some days before my appointment, Am I still able to do my biometrics appointment or not allowed if I did?
Of course I will apologize to join the meeting if it will effect my bio appointment. Any updates about the instructions?
I appreciate your advise. Thank you

Yes, you can still go for your bio appointment. Take the necessary precaution and follow the required guidance for visiting the USCIS office locations.

Yes, you can still go for your bio appointment. Take the necessary precaution and follow the required guidance for visiting the USCIS office locations.
what does it mean code5 in n-400 Biometrics ? they took only 2 fingers. And now online it says,
Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS. we are actively reviewing your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Our records show nothing is outstanding at this time. We will let you know if we need anything from you.

what does it mean code5 in n-400 Biometrics ? they took only 2 fingers. And now online it says,
Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS. we are actively reviewing your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Our records show nothing is outstanding at this time. We will let you know if we need anything from you.

Code 5 means One hand fingerprints only - that is 4 digit print (or maybe it's just 2 now) of one hand only (minus the thumb), picture and signature

Thank you, I hope the officer did it correct. is this message online means background check is done by FBI?
No, mine changed to that almost immediately I did bio, no way they had done check yet. By the way it’s just going to stay at that status until your interview is scheduled.

Hello Mom, Susie and all, thank you all for all the efforts and help for all the valued information during the journey.

We did our interview yesterday 7:30 am about 25 minutes each one with different officer. my wife and i at the same day. i answered the civic, reading and writing, the officer stopped asking after the 6th questions. then he went over the n-400 yes and no questions. then the officer said recommended for approval. and month before the oath should receive the note. I got my ceremony update in my status at the same minutes after i left the office, says that my ceremony is scheduled. but my wife still states show " in line to be schedule for the ceremony". Is that normal? any thoughts why we don't have our ceremony together since we have applied , biometrics and interview at the same dates?
I'm wondering if it is good idea to send a letter to the local office ask that we would like to celebrate together and ask to have both of us at the same time or it might cause troubles?

here is the timeline:
September 2015, became GC.
June 2020 --- N-400 mailed to AZ.
September 2020, Bio
October 29th 2020, Interview
November 2020, Oath ceremony letter shoed "on online account"

Last edited:
Hello Mom, Susie and all, thank you all for all the efforts and help for all the valued information during the journey.

We did our interview yesterday 7:30 am about 25 minutes each one with different officer. my wife and i at the same day. i answered the civic, reading and writing, the officer stopped asking after the 6th questions. then he went over the n-400 yes and no questions. then the officer said recommended for approval. and month before the oath should receive the note. I got my ceremony update in my status at the same minutes after i left the office, says that my ceremony is scheduled. but my wife still states show " in line to be schedule for the ceremony". Is that normal? any thoughts why we don't have our ceremony together since we have applied , biometrics and interview at the same dates?
I'm wondering if it is good idea to send a letter to the local office ask that we would like to celebrate together and ask to have both of us at the same time or it might cause troubles?

here is the timeline:
September 2015, became GC.
June 2020 --- N-400 mailed to AZ.
September 2020, Bio
October 29th 2020, Interview
November 2020, Oath ceremony letter shoed "on online account"

Yes that is normal. Your applications are independent of each other regardless of if you got your GC together. You interviewed with different IOs, each IO operates independently. Just be patient. If your wife equally passed her interview like you did, she’ll get scheduled for her oath ceremony in due course.

If it turns out your wife’s oath ceremony will be at a later date and time, (and you’re given the opportunity to do so) will you rather delay yours too because you want to celebrate at the same time or go ahead with yours?

Yes that is normal. Your applications are independent of each other regardless of if you got your GC together. You interviewed with different IOs, each IO operates independently. Just be patient. If your wife equally passed her interview like you did, she’ll get scheduled for her oath ceremony in due course.

If it turns out your wife’s oath ceremony will be at a later date and time, (and you’re given the opportunity to do so) will you rather delay yours too because you want to celebrate at the same time or go ahead with yours?
Thank you Sm1smom. Both received the approval note when we check online account “case Process) both showed you attended your interview and both of us received “ we approved your application N-400) online case status.

Thank you Sm1smom. Both received the approval note when we check online account “case Process) both showed you attended your interview and both of us received “ we approved your application N-400) online case status.

Just be patient in that case.

Just be patient in that case.
Thank you Sm1smom, I have some other questions and I hope this is the right place to ask;
1- can I fill and print online passport form before the ceremony or that is illegal? The pdf doesn’t let me type on it. the USCIS letter says that there is opportunity to apply for the US passport on the ceremony day. If so will they take the original citizenship certificate if it’s In that day?
2- what the payment method for the passport in the ceremony ? Credit card is ok or should be a check?
3- I will have a new last name, I can change my hand writing signature formats or I can not? If so I can sign the citizenship certificate with the new signature format?

Thank you Sm1smom, I have some other questions and I hope this is the right place to ask;
1- can I fill and print online passport form before the ceremony or that is illegal? The pdf doesn’t let me type on it. the USCIS letter says that there is opportunity to apply for the US passport on the ceremony day. If so will they take the original citizenship certificate if it’s In that day?
2- what the payment method for the passport in the ceremony ? Credit card is ok or should be a check?
3- I will have a new last name, I can change my hand writing signature formats or I can not? If so I can sign the citizenship certificate with the new signature format?

1. Yes you can download the passport application form ahead of your ceremony, nothing illegal about that. Yes, the original citizenship certificate will be collected.
2. I don’t know.
3. Yes you can do that.

1. Make sure you print the correct passport form, there are different ones for first time and renewing applicants. I got given a hard copy of the form when i went for my N400 interview. At my ceremony they just had drop boxes for the passport applications (you put all the materials in a big envelope and dropped it in, not sure if they all do this) but I preferred to make the application at USPS, I booked an appointment for the afternoon of my (morning) oath ceremony. This also had the advantage of a person going over the form and documents to check everything before they got sent in. Many USPS offices allow you to book passport appointments online https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS...heduler#Scheduling_First_Passport_Appointment

1. Make sure you print the correct passport form, there are different ones for first time and renewing applicants. I got given a hard copy of the form when i went for my N400 interview. At my ceremony they just had drop boxes for the passport applications (you put all the materials in a big envelope and dropped it in, not sure if they all do this) but I preferred to make the application at USPS, I booked an appointment for the afternoon of my (morning) oath ceremony. This also had the advantage of a person going over the form and documents to check everything before they got sent in. Many USPS offices allow you to book passport appointments online https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS...heduler#Scheduling_First_Passport_Appointment
Thank you Susie

1. Yes you can download the passport application form ahead of your ceremony, nothing illegal about that. Yes, the original citizenship certificate will be collected.
2. I don’t know.
3. Yes you can do that.
Thank you Sm1smom, if either they will collect the certificate in the oath ceremony date I will prefer to wait and do it later at the post office or any suggested location from your experience.

Thank you Sm1smom, if either they will collect the certificate in the oath ceremony date I will prefer to wait and do it later at the post office or any suggested location from your experience.
You have to submit the original certificate regardless whether you do it at the ceremony or at a passport agent/USPS.

You’ll still be required to submit the original certificate at the post office or any other agency you apply from. However the advantage of applying from a post office or passport agency office is that you would have had the opportunity to make copies of the naturalization certificate (in addition to scanning and having electronic copies) prior to submitting it with the passport application - which is what I did during my time. I made both paper and electronic copies of my naturalization certificate prior to going over to the post office to apply for my passport after my oath ceremony.

You’ll still be required to submit the original certificate at the post office or any other agency you apply from. However the advantage of applying from a post office or passport agency office is that you would have had the opportunity to make copies of the naturalization certificate (in addition to scanning and having electronic copies) prior to submitting it with the passport application - which is what I did during my time. I made both paper and electronic copies of my naturalization certificate prior to going over to the post office to apply for my passport after my oath ceremony.
It’s great and wise ideas, thank you for sharing your experience in that topic.

I received my oath but my wife is not yet. Last Monday we called the USCIS to ask them to schedule my wife with me at the same time they said within seven days will let us know but no reply from them. I’m wondering if we didn’t hear back from them, can my wife go with me in my oath ceremony or it’s not allowed with Covid-19? Thank you for any advise or experience to share.