Documents needed for Naturalization

Hi guys,

I am about to order the last 4-years tax transcripts from IRS and have a quick question for you all.

By reading others posts, it seems that "Account Transcript" is the safest way to go - am I right?

Also, do I need to order transcripts for forms other than 1040, such as 8863 (Education Credits) and 3903 (Moving Expenses)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I'm not sure what to do. I do not have a passport at all. I was born in a refugee camp in Thailand and I recently went over to the Thai Consulate but was told people born in refugee camps are not allowed Thai citizenship so I could not obtain a passport. The only thing I have is a permit for reentry when I traveled to Vietnam as a child with my parents. I am afraid I will be denied US citizenship because of this. ):

Applying on 3-yr marriage based rule - not filed joint tax returns

My husband has been caring for his sick mother who was his dependent on his tax returns. This was the reason for us to file separate tax returns claiming 'single' in the last 3 years. We have all the other bills, lease, IDs, checks and bank accounts joint on our address in NY. Should we get a lawyer for this issue? We can explain it to the officer, but is it enough?

Thanks!

Filing citizenship March 2011

I am filing my citizenship in March 2011, but I have a question-- In March 2008 I filed my 2007 income tax return as "married filing jointly" with my wife but at that time we were not legally married. We got married in December 2008. Now since USCIS asks for last five year tax returns I would be giving them my tax return from 2006 through 2010. I need to amend this 2007 tax return. Please note the following:
1. Wife was on student visa and did not work in the year 2007
2. My annual income in 2007 was $19,500
If I amend this 2007 tax return now would it affect USCIS decision in any manner?
Are there chances of my citizenship getting denied?
Would IRS issue any fraud charges?
How can I address this problem in best possible way?
Thanks in advance

You MUST amend the tax return for the year to which you filed wrongly. It could be possible that USCIS might not notice this tax-fraud or might not even ask to see tax returns but if they decide to do then consequence is severe and not worth taking chance especially when such a fraud could bar you to establish a good moral character...a prime requirement to become a naturalized citizen. Good luck.

I am filing my citizenship in March 2011, but I have a question-- In March 2008 I filed my 2007 income tax return as "married filing jointly" with my wife but at that time we were not legally married. We got married in December 2008. Now since USCIS asks for last five year tax returns I would be giving them my tax return from 2006 through 2010. I need to amend this 2007 tax return. Please note the following:
1. Wife was on student visa and did not work in the year 2007
2. My annual income in 2007 was $19,500
If I amend this 2007 tax return now would it affect USCIS decision in any manner?
Are there chances of my citizenship getting denied?
Would IRS issue any fraud charges?
How can I address this problem in best possible way?
Thanks in advance

I'm going to file for N-400 shortly based on 5 years (-90 days).
My 5 years will be reached around the date for filing taxes (around mid April).

As I read in the list of the documents; it is highly recommended to have the transcripts of the previous tax filing ready during the interview.

Now what would happen if I'm asked for the transcript of the taxes for 2010 and do not have it?

Is my copy of Tax return for 2010 acceptable?

What if I have my interview and have not done my 2010 taxes yet (say end of March; as I usually do my taxes around
beginning of April)?

Your help is much appreciated..

You can get tax returns from IRS with nominal fees. I dont see it a issue, but surely tax returns are needed at the time of interview and make sure you have paid all your taxes. To your another question If you are keeping photcopy of your return that should work.

Hi Johnny Cash,
I hope you are still active- just went thru most of the posts and they ar pretty old. however- if you are and you can help me it will be great! i am about to file my paperwork for a citizenship. i was married to a us citizen for about 3 1/2 years, have been divorced for about 2 1/2 years now. do you have any info that might possibly help me get thru the process with the least headache? thanks a lot!

How does one retrieve Federal tax transcript for 2006 ?? they cant locate mine very strange and i have been paying taxes since 1994 and how do i retrieve my state tax transcript for 5 years?

IRS must have your tax returns but their system doesn't allow to provide record of tax returns more than 3 years. IRS agents can't see any record prior to 3 years in their system. However, if you do ask specific year's tax return (such as for the year of 2006) then they will be able to provide you that despite of not showing in their system as they can request that in the system. But keep it in mind that you should be kept calling until you get an agent who will be able to accommodate such a request; otherwise most agents will refuse you. Keep trying with them is the key, believe me.

Good luck.

How does one retrieve Federal tax transcript for 2006 ?? they cant locate mine very strange and i have been paying taxes since 1994 and how do i retrieve my state tax transcript for 5 years?

Jonny Cash,

I got my tax returns they mailed it to me but the 2006 was an account transcript.. now 2 questions, how do get my NY state tax transcript, i called and called and kept on tellin me to fill form 152 and it will take 60days to send it to me..

What is an accepted Utility bill/statement to prove my stay for 3months in ny.

I have lost my old, expired Indian passport. I've tracked all of my overseas visits in a spreadsheet - so, I have all the information regarding time spent outside the US and have used that to fill in the N400 form. I did not realize that I would have to take my expired passport to the naturalization interview.

What will happen at the interview if I show up without my expired passport?

Thanks.

Hello JohnnyCash, I'm new in the forum and don't know how to sent a private message. I have seen some of your posts and those of other members talking or recommending you to others based on your knowledge. I hope not to inconvenience you, but I'm desperate since I have already sent my application for citizenship. I hope you can spare a moment to asnwer my question. Here's what I posted earlier today:
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CHARGES DISMISSED
Hello, I have recently applied for citizenship. Back in 2007 I was charged with 3 counts of domestic violence. I pleaded not guilty since I was attacked by the alleged victim who was intoxicated at the time of the incident (I was not). Long story short, I ended up being arrested because the police officers at the scene believed her story. The public defender assigned to my case realized that I had been wrongfully arrested and charged when he saw the injuries in my face caused by the alleged victim and the fact that the police report specified that I was sober and she was intoxicated when I was arrested, helped me a ton. Anyways, I could've gone to trial and possibly have won but I did not want to risk being convicted. Against my lawyer's advice, I took the D.A.'s offer and was convicted on a disturbing the peace charge, the domestic violence charges were DISMISSED and I had to complete a 52 session domestic violence program. My question is: WILL I BE DENIED CITIZENSHIP, EVEN THOUGH, I WAS NOT CONVICTED? Thanks everybody, I'm really glad that I found this site.

Sriram

I am more or less in the same boat as you. My passport will be expired soon and am not sure of the effect of this expired passport at the Interview? Guru's out there - please help !!!

Babu
I have lost my old, expired Indian passport. I've tracked all of my overseas visits in a spreadsheet - so, I have all the information regarding time spent outside the US and have used that to fill in the N400 form. I did not realize that I would have to take my expired passport to the naturalization interview.

What will happen at the interview if I show up without my expired passport?

Thanks.

Hello guys
what another documents do I need to show my marriage is in good faith? I dont have lease or morgage. I sent taxes, bank account (1) , license marriage, proof of residence (letters, bills), pictures, but the IO wanted more and gave me a N 652 asking for more documents? Do you think this delay my process? is anyone have a similar situation? please i need answers.

I have my interview coming up next week. I have had my employment-based green card since July 1991, renewed in 2001, and due to expire in November 2011.

My case is straight-forward, except for failure to file federal income tax returns on time, after requesting extensions, for the years 2003 through 2007, which were all cleared up in 2008. Since then, I have been current on my federal tax filings.

Here is my document check list. Am I missing anything?

1. Interview appointment letter
2. Alien registration card
3. Passports
4. Driver’s License
5. Social security card
6. IRS letter , Tax Account & Return transcripts since 2003
7. W-2 (since 2003)
8. Pay stubs for 2010
9. Color photos – 2
10. Marriage certificate
11. Birth certificate – son
12. Employment letter
13. Utility bills for current address – First month and last three months
14. Traffic tickets (minor) and their dispositions
15. Pencils – 2
16. Roller ball pen - black
17. Fine point Sharpie (permanent marker) - black

My DO is Dallas. Thank you for your attention.