Documents needed for Naturalization

Documents and preparation for Naturalization Interview:

It's highly advisable that applicants for naturalization should bring ALL the documents listed below at their interview even if their 'Interview Appointment Letter/Notice' may not include any (or some) of them....

Excellent post!!! I've gathered everything in this list just in case. Thanks so much!

Is there a similar list for the passport application? I plan to get the passport from a regional office through an appointment since I will be traveling within 14 days of Oath.

Thanks!

04/17/07 : Application sent by UPS
04/18/07 : Received Date, Priority Date
05/02/07 : Receipt notice
05/10/07 : Fingerprints notice
05/23/07 : Fingerprinting done at Newark
10/02/07 : Case status disappears online
10/04/07 : IL received (dated 09/29/07)
12/12/07 : Interview/Oath scheduled at Newark at 8:00 AM

I hope you already have made an appointment.

Once you apply for a passport as a United States citizen, the list of documents to provide is much, much smaller than the list of a documents for the interview. The most important one is the Naturalization Certificate since it is the document proving that you are a citizen. The list of documents to provide is indicated on the passport application and there is not much you can forget at home. Just do not forget your proof of travel (such as ticket receipt) otherwise the Passport Agency may turn you away. :)

On the good side, since you are going to a passport agency, they'll tell you immediately if something is missing.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
09/28/98 Entered on K-1 (Fiance) Visa
12/19/98 Married with US Citizen (still happily married 9 years after )
12/24/98 Filed I-485, I-130, I-765 in OKC (NSC)
01/03/99 Moved to Texas (TSC)
05/xx/00 Moved to Eastern PA (VSC)
11/xx/00 Moved to Central NJ (VSC)
03/19/01 LPR
04/xx/03 Received GC dated 03/19/2001 and issued on 03/31/2003
03/20/07 N-400 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)
10/26/07 Naturalized Citizen :)

I had the N-400 interview today and the only documents I needed to present were:
- Interview Letter
- Green Card
- Driver's LIcense
- Current passport.

I also brought 2 recent pictures and the list of traffic tickets.

McMahon,

when you send your paperwork along with N400 what papers you sent? did you sent the tax returns ?

thanks

Hi, All,

This is really a very helpful resource contributed huge to my successful interview today.

My timelines:

N400 Sent: Jan 16,
Check cashed: Jan 17,
Receipt received: Jan 25,
FP scheduled: Jan 28,
FP taken: Feb 8,
Interview Letter: June 8,
Interview: Aug 20,
Oath: may be end of Sep or Oct.

The documents I brought with me:
(1) Interview Letter;
(2) GC;
(3) Driver License;
(4) 2 photoes;
(5) Child Support payment proof;
(6) A new print of N400 page 4 (I made one more trip after I filed the N400);

(7) Certified Divorce Dee (I had a divorce);
(8) Court Order for Child Support;
(9) 5 yrs Tax return;
(10) Employer's letter;
(11) Current bills;
(12) Pen and pencil;

Item (1) - (6) are asked and provided; But the interview did not bother to mention (7) - (11) at all. I was signed the new photos with the blue pen provided by the interviewer.

Hope it helps!

please answer my query and i'm struggling to find the answer.

when you send your paperwork along with N400 what papers you sent? did you sent the tax returns ? so thats why they did not ask you on the interview time ?

thanks

Please Help with N400 Supporting Documnets

Friends,

I am going to File N 400 next Week. Could you Please verify my supporting Documents is Valid or not.

- N 400 Application
- Two copes of Photos with A -XXXX number and Name in The Back.
- Green Card Copy Front and Back.
- $675 Dollar Cashier Check.

Please let me know what you guys Did recently. I am going with lawyear but you never know who is right is this business.

I heard one of my Friend apply in July and he will go for Interview in March 9th. This is from Missouri.

Thanks.
Ray

Please help a lady urgently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have my interview on 29th January!!!!
The problem is that the organisation who filed on my behalf in NYC were extremely unhelpful and did not listen to me at the time when filing in N400, they had it filled in with wrong details and omitted my previous addresses and the box where it said "How many days spent outside of US" was not ticked!!!!!! Even though I told there and then all the answers!
They swore and promised they will complete it later and send it over to USCIS on my behalf and they DID NOT DO IT!!

Now my interview is 4 days away and I am in PANICK!!!
I will greatly appreciate if there is anyone can advise me in this dire situation as I am losing my head and have absolutely no idea what to do! PLEASE!!!

Relax!!! There is absolutely no need to panic. All you have to do is fill out another N-400 and bring it with you to the interview. Make sure that you fill out all the details accurately and point them out to the interviewer. They'll either take the new form from you, or make corrections on the existing form and have you initial them. No worries.

Do not worry

Dsaya,

do not worry; Vorpal is right; just take a copy of the correct n400 with you.

Also very important is to be calm during the interview. Please rehearse what u have to say to the IO.

Please help a lady urgently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have my interview on 29th January!!!!
The problem is that the organisation who filed on my behalf in NYC were extremely unhelpful and did not listen to me at the time when filing in N400, they had it filled in with wrong details and omitted my previous addresses and the box where it said "How many days spent outside of US" was not ticked!!!!!! Even though I told there and then all the answers!
They swore and promised they will complete it later and send it over to USCIS on my behalf and they DID NOT DO IT!!

Now my interview is 4 days away and I am in PANICK!!!
I will greatly appreciate if there is anyone can advise me in this dire situation as I am losing my head and have absolutely no idea what to do! PLEASE!!!

passport means even old passport? suppose the old passport got misplaced?
Do they specifically ask of even the old passport?

hello guys,
I have a concern about selective service registration,I had never registered for it nor did I know that I had to.I am not in the 18-26 range age,so the question is: How do I get some kind of paperwork?I tried to register on their website,hoping that they will give me rejection,but it simply did not allow me to register.
Please advise,how important is this?
thanks in advance

Dsaya,

do not worry; Vorpal is right; just take a copy of the correct n400 with you.

Also very important is to be calm during the interview. Please rehearse what u have to say to the IO.

Thanks guys for your advice-how lucky can a girl get!:)

question on arms in citizenship form

Folks,
There's a question in the citizenship applicaction form about - 'are you willing to take arms if required by law'?
I wanted to get some sugesstions from the folks who have gone through the process to let me know how tihs question is handled and what are the possible repercussions? I was planning to go with Yes. :confused:

hello guys,
I have a concern about selective service registration
thanks in advance
I had the same issue. If you were legally not required to register due to age and immigration status then you should not need any proof. Also I don't know how you can get proof in that case anyway. That was the advice from my attorney and it was not raised during my interview this week. The two issues I am aware of are if you were here as a legal non-immigrant before age 26 or here as an illegal immigrant. There is also a "safe harbor" clause such that even if you were required to register, as long as you are now over 31 (26 + 5 years) then it should not be an issue for citizenship because it is beyond the 5 year moral character test.

I had the same issue. If you were legally not required to register due to age and immigration status then you should not need any proof. Also I don't know how you can get proof in that case anyway. That was the advice from my attorney and it was not raised during my interview this week. The two issues I am aware of are if you were here as a legal non-immigrant before age 26 or here as an illegal immigrant. There is also a "safe harbor" clause such that even if you were required to register, as long as you are now over 31 (26 + 5 years) then it should not be an issue for citizenship because it is beyond the 5 year moral character test.

kckfs,
I was legally required to register,however,I did not know about it.My attorney,at that time,did not mention a thing about it.I am really pissed off right now.I am not 31 yet,I will be 29 when I am eligible to apply for citizenship and I will go ahead and apply.
I was 25 at the time I got my permanent residence.So I am kind of confused right now,what should I do?

forex_dealer:

You are in a gray area where you were meant to register but did not. In your application process, and at the interview, you will have to provide persuasive evidence that that your failure to register was not knowing and willful, and the USCIS will then evaluate your evidence. This memo clearly explains the various situations and how USCIS will treat your situation.

N-400 Question 8 - Part G

Folks,
The question * - Part G in the N-400 application says " how may times has your spouse been married"? does it include the current marriage or is it only referring to prior marriages?
can you please let me know.

Thanks.

I would answer with +1 for the current marriage and +1 for all previous marriages , eg current and one divorce would be 2 marriages. That counts the total number of marriage certificates.

Hey guys, I think Vermont is showing up to Nov 14th 2007 app, meaning app esc*002080999, all you got to do is keep esc* 002 which stands I think for vsc and then the system has updated up until application 80,999 but you have to keep the 0 before the 8.

Applied for change in address on drivers license today. Will it be an issue ?

Realized that I did not change my address on the driver's license . I applied for the change of address at the Xpress DMV office. My old address was 8 blocks from my current address. If the new licence ( NY ) licenses is not an acceptable proof for the Information Officer , is there anyother acceptable proof that I can provided that I had been living in the new address for the past 9 months ?

Vorpal / naturalizer/ experts please advise.

Regards
nyker

Realized that I did not change my address on the driver's license . I applied for the change of address at the Xpress DMV office. My old address was 8 blocks from my current address. If the new licence ( NY ) licenses is not an acceptable proof for the Information Officer , is there anyother acceptable proof that I can provided that I had been living in the new address for the past 9 months ?

Vorpal / naturalizer/ experts please advise.

Regards
nyker

Utility bills and credit card bills, as well as pay stubs with the new address are all acceptable proof of address.