Documents needed for Naturalization

You DON'T have to document traffic tickets in the N-400 application unless its a serious offense such as reckless driving, DUI, DWI, etc.

Here is what USCIS has to say about this:

"Even if you have committed a minor crime, USCIS may deny your application if you
do not tell the USCIS officer about the incident. Note that unless a traffic incident was
alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and
incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than
$500 and/or points on your driver’s license."

For those of you, who want to verify this, please check page# 8 in the M-476 aka Guide to Naturalization document under question# 7.

Unfortunately, they prefer to make it confusing by saying that you do not need to "submit documentation", but they don't say that you do not need to mention it on the application. I think the safest approach is to submit a copy of your driving records with your application so it can't be said that you were hiding something.

Traffic tickets

So what is the option, if someone didnt disclose traffic ticket in N-400 and interview is yet to be scheduled?

So what is the option, if someone didnt disclose traffic ticket in N-400 and interview is yet to be scheduled?

I am in the same situation - based on the I-485 form I thought the N-400 form was explicitly asking not to list include any mention of tickets.

Having had 6 non-DUI tickets in my lifetime, all of them way before I started being a LPR and one warning outside the 5-year period, I have prepared a sheet of paper listing them all and I'll volunteer this list to the IO during the interview even before he/she asks.

------------------------
DO: Detroit (NSC)
03/20/07 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done

I am in the same situation - based on the I-485 form I thought the N-400 form was explicitly asking not to list include any mention of tickets.

Having had 6 non-DUI tickets in my lifetime, all of them way before I started being a LPR and one warning outside the 5-year period, I have prepared a sheet of paper listing them all and I'll volunteer this list to the IO during the interview even before he/she asks.

------------------------
DO: Detroit (NSC)
03/20/07 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done

Are you saying, you remember the date and the fine amount of all those 6 tkts? do you have supporting documentation.. i.e. copy of tkts too?

My statement will include Type of infraction, Date (year and month if I know for sure), Place/Country and Outcome (as on the N-400 form).

The tickets are so old that I did not keep any receipt - for example, I got an 80 cent (!) speeding ticket in August 1985 in Yugoslavia, which I paid on the spot to the verbalizing officer.

Document Checklist for Interview

I have received the Interview Latter (application based on 5-year LPR Requirement) and have assembled the following extensive checklist. Please note that some documents/photocopies are listed more than once since they serve multiple purposes such as name verification + address verification.

Documents Required per I-797
I-797 N-400 Receipt
I-797 N-400 Receipt Photocopy
I-797 FP Receipt
I-797 FP Receipt Photocopy
I-797 Interview Letter
I-797 Interview Letter Photocopy
Two Photographs
Old Passport
Old Passport Photocopy
New Passport
New Passport Photocopy
Green Card
Green Card Photocopy
Driver's License
Driver's License Photocopy

Additional Documents
N-400 Copy

N-400 Part 1
Birth Certificate + Translation (to validate full name)

N-400 Part 2
Green Card Photocopy (to establish 5-year LPR evidence)
K-1 Visa Photocopy (to show GC eligibility)

N-400 Part 3
SS Card + Photocopy (to validate SSN)
Birth Certificate + Translation (to validate birth date and place)
Green Card Photocopy (to validate LPR start date)
Passport(s) (to validate citizenship(s))
Marriage Certificate (to validate marriage status)

N-400 Part 4
Cable Bill (to validate address)
Electricity Bill (to validate address)
Driver's License Photocopy (to validate address)

N-400 Part 5
Snapshot of the Scale (to show wiight - maybe it is going a little too far :) )

N-400 Part 6
Driver's License Photocopy (to validate address)
Letter of Employment
Business Card
Paystubs

N-400 Part 7
New Passport Photocopy (to validate travel dates)
Old Passport Photocopy (to validate travel dates)

N-400 Part 8
Marriage Certificate
Spouse's Driver's License Photocopy (to validate address)
Photocopy of Spouse's SS Card (to validate SSN)
Spouse's Birth Certifcate (to validate spouse's citizenship, date and place of birth)

N-400 Part 9
If needed

N-400 Part 10
Tax Returns
Organizations Mission Starements
List of Tickets
Green Card Photocopy (to prove that no SS Registration was required)

N-400 Part 11
Driver's License Photocopy (to validate signature)

Tax return requested for 5-year based interview

Dear all:

does anyone have an idea of how many past year tax returns are actually required for naturalization interview ? Do we need to provide returns covering the entire 5 years? . Also, are tax transcripts enough?

if anyone has gone through the 5-year process, please provide the list as required in your notice letter.

thanks. :eek:

Tax transcripts are enough. And yes for all five years. You can also make copies of your own tax returns to submit with the transcripts. Transcripts are easy to order over the phone.

My old foreigner passport ran out of pages for the visas, but did not expired. So I did renew it and got new passport, passport agency in my home county took and destroyed the passport with all expired visas and exit/entry stamps.
The passport has been changed after FP but before ID.

Could this cause any problem at interview?

Pass Interview Today in Kansas

Hi, All,

This is really a very helpful resource contributed huge to my successful interview today.

My timelines:

N400 Sent: Jan 16,
Check cashed: Jan 17,
Receipt received: Jan 25,
FP scheduled: Jan 28,
FP taken: Feb 8,
Interview Letter: June 8,
Interview: Aug 20,
Oath: may be end of Sep or Oct.

The documents I brought with me:
(1) Interview Letter;
(2) GC;
(3) Driver License;
(4) 2 photoes;
(5) Child Support payment proof;
(6) A new print of N400 page 4 (I made one more trip after I filed the N400);

(7) Certified Divorce Dee (I had a divorce);
(8) Court Order for Child Support;
(9) 5 yrs Tax return;
(10) Employer's letter;
(11) Current bills;
(12) Pen and pencil;

Item (1) - (6) are asked and provided; But the interview did not bother to mention (7) - (11) at all. I was signed the new photos with the blue pen provided by the interviewer.

Hope it helps!

Documents relating to marriage are only required when you are applying based on 3 years of marriage to a US citizen.

My mother was naturalized last year and she was married twice, divorced twice. They didn't ask for any marriage or divorce papers.

Tax returns aren't required either unless you are filing based on marriage to a US citizen. They use the tax returns to see if you filed jointly. But It's not a bad idea to carry them just in case the interviewer needs to clarify something.

My old foreigner passport ran out of pages for the visas, but did not expired. So I did renew it and got new passport, passport agency in my home county took and destroyed the passport with all expired visas and exit/entry stamps.

I would def think so.How else are you going to prove you trips were within the time frame.To intervewing officer it might seem like your trying to hide something.I dont know of any country that destroys old passports. I am from european side.

riv said:

Riv,

I honestly think you are stressing for nothing. Many times when you are on a green card you come back to the country and they don't even stamp your passport so there's no way to prove anything by looking at passport stamps.

If you really want to have peace of mind, just have your pay stubs (or lease agreements or mortgage payments) for any periods you think they might question.

Hi Johnny, Thanks for providing such a great info. It’s really helpful and in depth. Thanks a ton. I have couple of questions and would like to get your thoughts on them

1. Employment: I have gaps in my employment during the last five year period from 02 - 03. I have worked on W2 as well as on Corp basis (own an LLC firm for purpose of independent consulting). As I have applied for unemployment benefits (in between consulting work), I think I should indicate the gaps. How can I obtain the record of my work history?

2.a) Travel outside US: I have traveled several times to Canada in the last three years. However, I noticed, my passport was stamped only once. Unfortunately, I don't have exact dates of travel - how do I manage this?

2.b) I traveled sometime outside US during 2002. Since I lost my old passport, I don't have exact details of the travel. What’s my best bet to find out the travel details?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Johnny, Thanks for providing such a great info. It’s really helpful and in depth. Thanks a ton. I have couple of questions and would like to get your thoughts on them

1. Employment: I have gaps in my employment during the last five year period from 02 - 03. I have worked on W2 as well as on Corp basis (own an LLC firm for purpose of independent consulting). As I have applied for unemployment benefits (in between consulting work), I think I should indicate the gaps. How can I obtain the record of my work history?

2.a) Travel outside US: I have traveled several times to Canada in the last three years. However, I noticed, my passport was stamped only once. Unfortunately, I don't have exact dates of travel - how do I manage this?

2.b) I traveled sometime outside US during 2002. Since I lost my old passport, I don't have exact details of the travel. What’s my best bet to find out the travel details?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rsea,

Regarding your question about trips to Canada and not getting a stamp, I think you should not worry about it. I have also traveled multiple times to Canada and noticed that the US immigration person is not consistent in stamping passports. So they should know that during the time of your interview.

Anybody else with similar experiences traveling to Canada?

THe last time around when I went to Canada for a daytrip, the BCIS agent did not stamp my passport at the Detroit-Windsor Ambassador Bridge although I kindy requested it ("You are a Legal Permanent Resident, we do not stamp your passport"). I then kept in my passport the dated bridge toll receipt which shows in which lane my vehicle was (Canada to USA). At the interview it may be helpful to establish that it was just a daytrip.

Suresh & Mcmohan, Thank you for your feedback. It's just that I have visited canada three times since Feb 07 - one to two day trips to montreal and I had travelled earlier in 2004 but don't recall the exact dates. If I don't know the dates, should I refrain from disclosing or should I indicate the approximate dates of travel? Just to clarify.

Please ALWAYS DISCLOSE!

You can look up your bank / credit card statements to determine whether you have purchased gas for your car on the way or paid a hotel or rented a car. Unless you are close to having spent half of the 5 or 3 years outside the country your eligibility should not get affected by these visits to Canada.

You can also ask your employer when you took vacations the last 3 years.