do you feel you're treated differently when returning to the US as a citizen?

American2008

Registered Users (C)
do you feel you're treated differently when
returning to the US as a citizen? by air or
driving across land border.

(better or worse, compared to when you
returned to the US as greencard resident?) :confused:

do you feel you're treated differently when
returning to the US as a citizen? by air or
driving across land border.

(better or worse, compared to when you
returned to the US as greencard resident?) :confused:

chuckling. what sort of question is that? Well, it depends on your own feeling. Some of them don't feel that way (no feeling or just same), some of them feel proud or happy, and some of them feel discriminated. etc..

I guess the OP's question was aimed at finding out if there is any reduction in time at the immigration counter, or reduced questioning by the officers at the Port of Entry compared to what happens when entering on a GC.

I just back into US for the first time after being a US citizen. While being treated respectfully i was not told "Welcome Home" etc and that is fine.
What bothered me is that i was also selected for "Additional Questioning". Which i was never selected for when i was on F1 visa, H1 visa or GC. This was on JFK.

So i went and sat down on open area where the ppl on visa were getting registered and fingerprinted etc. My name was called and the officer asked me following questions.

- Who you work for?
- What you do at work?
- What city you live?
- Have you ever used a firearm?
- Do you own a firearm in US?

I answered and it has been 5 days but the questions are bothering me mainly because they are irrelevant for a US citizen.

Why it matters where i work? i am not on a work visa?
Have i shot or own a firearm in US? why is it illegal for a citizen to shot or own one?

I regret not counter asking to the last question. I was so tired after a 14hr flight that i just did not have the patience or mood to lengthen that discussion.

Just thought i should share my first exp of entering into US after being a citizen.

I just came back on Monday for the second time since being a citizen. The first time was in the middle of the year and the officer could not care less about me and did not even stamp the passport. This time, they were questioning everyone. The officer asked where I worked and doing what. There were long lines and some people were questioned more than I was. The line to go through customs was amazingly long. I was very surprised. There even were officers at the door of the plane, asking for passports. Although they only checked those of male passengers. It seems they were looking for someone in particular.

I wonder what would happen if you refused to answer any additional questions at the POE.
They can't not let you in..right?
One thing after becoming a citizen, i will not be talking to border patrol anymore, like the ones you see in California.

it makes no different than if u still GC , even u became a USC but u USC is Second Level , they dont treat u if u real Born and ur father and grandfather Born in US.. there no where u can read about this but this wht i feel , if u just Become USC then u will be Level 2 and level one is the USC who born and lived in the US forever ..

last year i was viseting my familt overseas when i come back here they like usualy quastion you , i was ok with that because i'm GC holder but wht bothered me there is old Man was USC but its clear he was also Jordanian , he was dressing like Arab . they didt care about his USC , they Seached his bag Inch by inch , they photocopy evey single paper he has in his Bag , i was watching that poor guy sending him from room to another from officer to another ..it was over than hour before i was free to go and he was still been quastioned and searched ..

Other thing My wife is USC born and lived in the US forever , she Never been quastioned or had to go any intreview room or any thing ..

we dont have to lie for our self it clear after 9/11 there is no trust for any one regards if u are USC or GC .. unless u born and lived in the US forever .

it makes no different than if u still GC , even u became a USC but u USC is Second Level , they dont treat u if u real Born and ur father and grandfather Born in US.. there no where u can read about this but this wht i feel , if u just Become USC then u will be Level 2 and level one is the USC who born and lived in the US forever ..

last year i was viseting my familt overseas when i come back here they like usualy quastion you , i was ok with that because i'm GC holder but wht bothered me there is old Man was USC but its clear he was also Jordanian , he was dressing like Arab . they didt care about his USC , they Seached his bag Inch by inch , they photocopy evey single paper he has in his Bag , i was watching that poor guy sending him from room to another from officer to another ..it was over than hour before i was free to go and he was still been quastioned and searched ..

Other thing My wife is USC born and lived in the US forever , she Never been quastioned or had to go any intreview room or any thing ..

we dont have to lie for our self it clear after 9/11 there is no trust for any one regards if u are USC or GC .. unless u born and lived in the US forever .

every USC is suject to the conditions set by law. If they feel they have to search you, they will do that to you even if you are a natural born USC. Yes, I do agreed that there's a 2nd class citizen issue, non natural born USC cannot become president.

wht bothered me there is old Man was USC but its clear he was also Jordanian , he was dressing like Arab . they didt care about his USC , they Seached his bag Inch by inch , they photocopy evey single paper he has in his Bag , i was watching that poor guy sending him from room to another from officer to another ..it was over than hour before i was free to go and he was still been quastioned and searched ..

Not surprising.

Even then, you're unlikely to be trusted at the border if you dress or engage in suspicious travels.

I wonder what would happen if you refused to answer any additional questions at the POE.
They can't not let you in..right?
One thing after becoming a citizen, i will not be talking to border patrol anymore, like the ones you see in California.

Why won't you be talking to BP?

I also wonder the same thing, as a USC, what would happen if you refused to answer some of their questions? Like where do you work and do you own a gun?
As a GC holder, I don't think you have much choice, as one BP agent once told us, "it is a privilige, not a right," so you have to answer their questions for fear of them deciding to take that "privilige" from you.

Here in Arizona, it's difficult to be Hispanic.
Because of the large illegal immigrant population, mostly from Latin American, most of us feel like we're not wanted or liked and we're "divided" into two groups, illegal or "anchor-babies" - either way they feel you came from an illegal and must be treated like one. At least those are the comments I hear all the time and you can't help, but feel this way.

Since my husband became USC, things at the border have become easier on us, I didn't expect that at all. They must figure if you made it to citizenship, you must deserve it, you're ok.:)
I notice I'm questioned a bit more, because of GC, but the crossing is now as smooth as the all USC group ahead of us. Nice.;)

Actually, Border Patrol has no right to ask such irrelevant questions as "where do you work" and "do you own a gun." If I were a USC, I wouldn't answer those questions and would ask them to clarify why they need those answers.

There is a HUGE difference between border patrol and POEs on the actual border. For example on the border you have less rights: they can search you without warrant for one. Border patrol agents operation within the country can't search you without your consent, they need a warrant.
But I am truly wondering on the border, if you refuse to answer any additional questions like "Where you work?"...can they do anything to you? What if you tell them you want a lawyer if they want to interrogate you?
There are some youtube videos of guys refusing to state their citizenship to border patrol, they were all let go...
Exercise your right..especially the 5th amendment!