Do you carry your GC with you all the time?

My hubby was just approved yesterday for his GC. :D

At the end of our interview the IO told him to expect to receive the card in about 4 weeks and to always carry it on his person. She also handed him a letter containing regulations required of all PRs which states:

"The permanent resident card must be kept on you at all times. This is the law and can have jail time and fines if it is not complied with. The card should always be with you, just like you keep your drivers license with you at all times. You are not permitted to keep a copy of the card with you. We recommend you keep a copy of your card at home in a safe place in case you ever lose the real card. (This will make it easier for you to obtain a replacement card.)"

What Immigration Lawyers tell about this important matter

Hi

It looks like takig the law as it is written now, every one in LPR status need to carry there GC with them all the times.

But we have never heard opinon of the Best known Immigration Lawyers and AILA on this matter.

Can some one find answers/ links of lwayers answers on this importnat matter.

Or those who just got GC, can ask there lawaye and see what they tells? Please post your lawyers reply.

Also is there any Legal case in which LPR (GC holder) is deported or jailed for not carrying his GC with him (except at the international or domestic airports or bordercrossings or near the boreder) when stoped for the routine checkup of the Licence etc by police or any other govt agent.

These answers will help lot of peoples like us.

What is the fear here? If you lose your wallet with your GC and a CC, there is no way your GC can be (mis)used by someone else. However your CC in the wrong hands has potential for your headache. Think about it.

These answers will help lot of peoples like us.

But we have never heard opinon of the Best known Immigration Lawyers and AILA on this matter.

The law is pretty clear. Besides, a lawyer's opinion is just that - an opinion. It has no legal weight.

Also is there any Legal case in which LPR (GC holder) is deported or jailed for not carrying his GC with him (except at the international or domestic airports or bordercrossings or near the boreder) when stoped for the routine checkup of the Licence etc by police or any other govt agent.

People used to feel this way about the AR-11. And then INS started deporting a few select aliens to make a point. So, hands up everyone who feels that filing the AR-11 is optional?

Do you want to be the person used to prove a point? :)

The law is pretty clear. Besides, a lawyer's opinion is just that - an opinion. It has no legal weight.

People used to feel this way about the AR-11. And then INS started deporting a few select aliens to make a point. So, hands up everyone who feels that filing the AR-11 is optional?

Do you want to be the person used to prove a point? :)

Lots of people do not carry their GCs though the plain language of the law requires it. If you are a risk-averse person like me then carry the darn card all the time. You never know which direction the winds of immigration enforcement will blow. When I was a PR I had the card with me all the time. And I also have my Reentry Permit at home; so if my GC got stolen then I would have a back up proof of status immediately available.

When you are an alien you should be extra careful to comply with the laws of this country.

Well said. I carried my GC in my wallet for 2 years and 11 months. I never thought I am taking any risk by carrying it in my wallet. I was more worried about my 5 credit cards that shared space in that wallet.

When you are an alien you should be extra careful to comply with the laws of this country.

Real Experience

All,
Here is a first hand experience.

This happened to me in year 2000. I was walking from Train station to work (4 Blocks). On the way, a Border Patrol car (yes, inside the city and not anywhere near a border) stopped in front of me while waiting for the WALK sign. She asked me to show the immigration documents and asked if I had any arm. I said that I am a legal resident and do not have any kind of arm. She then asked the immigration documents. I didn't had documents. I told her the POE and entry date details. She called the POE and checked two terminals and confirmed that I was a legal resident. She let me go. She also told me to carry Original Passport or immigration documents or else have $100 citation. (I didn't carry the PP for the fear of loss).

In order to solve your problem, you may carry the scanned copy of both sides of PR card. Worst case, you would be slapped with $100 ticket (not sure if anyone got the citation with legal resident status).

Losing a card means, file a case with Police and get the receipt, file for a new one with $370 at this time, get a I-551 stamping on PP during the fingerprint appointment, and wait for 6 months.

Thanks
sure2get:)
Disclaimer: Has no legal credibility. Take your own decision

Well said. I carried my GC in my wallet for 2 years and 11 months. I never thought I am taking any risk by carrying it in my wallet. I was more worried about my 5 credit cards that shared space in that wallet.

Wow, that sounds pretty random. Was she doing this to other people or just you? Smells like racial profiling.

I did not know that we have to carry our passports with us too?

You don't. But in the absence of the GC, a passport with an I-551 stamp will suffice.

how about if we carry the original 485 approval notice. isn't that proof of permanent residency ?
since the requirement is to carry proof at all times and this is a original not a copy.

Very interesting discussion. However I do not think that original I-485 approval will work, first, they ask for "green card", second, approval notice will take more space in the wallet!
I carry black-and-white photocopy of both sides of my GC with me all times, keep original home, but take it with me every time I go away from home, like 3+ hours travel away or more (and of course when going to DMV, SSN, etc). Otherwise original is normally within 20 min and I can easily bring it if needed (I work close to home).
I travel a lot, at least every month, with plane, always had original GC with me but was never was asked for GC (except international travel of course), always showed DL.
Now, I am not so sure I did right thing.... maybe I should switch to carrying original all the time...

jogging with GC

Some of earlier posts sound like law abiding paranoia! We in NY have hundreds of illegals walking around and even driving vehicles!
I'm not saying I approve not following the rule, but let's face the reality. Do you really think police will arrest you, PR just for having a photocopy in your wallet? And no, it's not the same as to have a copy of your driver's license. Police actually checks drivers licenses every time. If lost, the replacement of drivers license is not a big deal anyway.
The requirement to carry it at all times reminds me of my home country [...] where police can actually grab you for not having your passport on you... Do you really think USCIS wants people go jogging in a park or swimming with green cards on them ? Come on.
If one lives near the border or goes on some official buisness (like DMV, court etc) then take the original. I do value my GC more than credit cards and I know that my wallet is not a safe place for it, thats all.

When they start deporting people because they didn't have the card physically on them when jogging or swimming or something like that, or they start constantly asking you for the card whenever you walk or drive down the street, I'll deport myself before they do. That's not the kind of place I want to live in.

Having your GC with you at all times should not be a problem. We all carry some form of ID and Credit cards. I guess it takes 1 person to mistakenly get deported to drive the point home.

I have been the US for 10 years and have never been asked for immigration documents except for DMV, employment, POE, something like these you need to deal with. I have not heard anybody I know who has been stopped for that. I have just got my GC for a couple of months. I will never carry GC on a daily basis, ever.

Having your GC with you at all times should not be a problem. We all carry some form of ID and Credit cards. I guess it takes 1 person to mistakenly get deported to drive the point home.
Do you carry your GC when swimming or jogging too?

DL and credit cards can be replaced cheaply and quickly if lost or stolen, and you don't need them if you are walking or swimming or taking the bus or train.

I have been the US for 10 years and have never been asked for immigration documents except for DMV, employment, POE, something like these you need to deal with. I have not heard anybody I know who has been stopped for that. I have just got my GC for a couple of months. I will never carry GC on a daily basis, ever.

You obviously don't live in Arizona.

The first instruction that comes with your GC says to have it with you at all times. Whether you do so or not is up to you.

Last edited by a moderator: