Do they stop asking stupid questions at POE(air, land)after you become a US citizen?

TwoScoops

Do they stop asking stupid questions at POE(by air or land)after you become a US citizen?

I've been a PR for about 4 years. During this time, I've often gone to Canada(by car) and Europe(by air) for vacations. When I re-enter the US, I get asked silly questions on at least half of those entries. It's worse at the land crossing from Canada back to the US. I'm frequently subjected to secondary inspection when I drive alone.(but alwasy waved through when my natural-born US citizen brothers and naturalized parents)

Thanks for any info!

TwoScoops said:
Do they stop asking stupid questions at POE(by air or land)after you become a US citizen?

In my experience the questions really seem to depend on the officer. There is no pattern. Sometimes I return and get asked nothing; my passport and GC are simply swiped and the officer says 'welcome home'. Other times, the officer asks how long I was away, what do I do, etc. The questioning has never been 'intense' and never taken more than a minute. I have not been referred to secondary inspection once since obtaining my GC. Nor has my wife, even when she has traveled separately.

My sister, an American by birth, has been sent to passport control twice in the past 4 years. It never happened before.

No idea what the point of this thread is. If they keep asking the same questions upon entry even after becoming citizen, will you not apply for USC ?

TwoScoops said:

I've been a PR for about 4 years. During this time, I've often gone to Canada(by car) and Europe(by air) for vacations. When I re-enter the US, I get asked silly questions on at least half of those entries. It's worse at the land crossing from Canada back to the US. I'm frequently subjected to secondary inspection when I drive alone.(but alwasy waved through when my natural-born US citizen brothers and naturalized parents)

Thanks for any info!

It doesn't necessarily stop. The important point though is that when you become a USC, you cannot ultimately be refused to enter the US. However, USC are routinely questioned, and sometimes referred to secondary inspection.

A friend of mine interned at an immigration firm and one of the clients had had a problem with entry while having pending permanent resident status( long story, boils down to that he had re-entry permit, CBP wrongly refused entry, was later corrected, but it appears as if his record was tainted). He subsequently received the GC, and later USC, but each time he enters the US(he travels often on business) he gets sent to secondary inspection.

Of course, since he is a USC, they always have to let him in ultimately.

My boss, a senior excutive, has been a USC for 12 years. This summer when he came back from a business trip, he was grilled for 2 hrs in the airport. :eek:

pplu said:
My boss, a senior excutive, has been a USC for 12 years. This summer when he came back from a business trip, he was grilled for 2 hrs in the airport. :eek:

These situations always interest me. Do you know why and what kinds of questions he was asked?

Why are you interested? :rolleyes:

He was questioned why he traveled so many times to Asia (mostly India and China) in recent 2 yrs. He is not Indian nor Chinese. What the *&*%&%#!

They should question Ms Rice why she frequently visited Middel East :cool:

pianoplayer said:
These situations always interest me. Do you know why and what kinds of questions he was asked?

pplu said:
Why are you interested? :rolleyes:

He was questioned why he traveled so many times to Asia (mostly India and China) in recent 2 yrs. He is not Indian nor Chinese. What the *&*%&%#!

They should question Ms Rice why she frequently visited Middel East :cool:

Hi:

Merely curious. BTW, Ms Rice is a USC and is not in the same position as your boss.

hmm, I have said in my post that my boss *is* a USC ...

pianoplayer said:
Hi:

Merely curious. BTW, Ms Rice is a USC and is not in the same position as your boss.

pplu said:
hmm, I have said in my post that my boss *is* a USC ...

Hi:

My apologies - I was in a hurry and left out "born." There should be no difference between a naturalized and natural-born USC, but CBP has been known to occasionally question USC with a birthplace outside of US, especially certain countries.

Also, there is that difference that she is the US Secretary of State. LOL

A question and a comment:

Question: Can the immigration officer tell if you are a native-born USC or a naturalized one?

Comment: I've gotten more hassle from the Canadian immigration officers (as a native born Canadian) than I've ever gotten from a US immigration officer.

mdh

The questions at the POE never stop, unfortunately. Sometimes they really have issues with your travels, but even if they don't, they just ask you and make sure you're able to provide basic answers without causing a fuss. This is what I've been told by people who work in the field.

Question: Can the immigration officer tell if you are a native-born USC or a naturalized one?

If you don't look caucasian or black, or perhaps speak English with a slight foreign accent, they probably start looking at your place of birth. But I think the CBP is supposed to be suspicious of EVERYONE trying to cross the border.

A colleague of my friend who is US born of Pakistani parents returned from visit to Pakistan for the first time in his life. He was grilled for more than 2 hours, only when he threatened to sue them, did they let him go.

A colleague of my friend who is US born of Pakistani parents returned from visit to Pakistan for the first time in his life. He was grilled for more than 2 hours, only when he threatened to sue them, did they let him go.

Would you know what they were grilling him about?

Thanks,

Stoned!

CBP idiots don't change.

What does change is your ability to tear them a new one when the ask the inevitable stupid questions, since there is nothing they can do to you at that point.

I regale at the stories my naturalized co-workers tell me when they get questioned at the airport, and how they pretty much undress the officer and spank them for the whole queue to see.

Note that this is at the airport... I wouldn't wnat to do this at a back-road border crossing.