Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

Oath ceremony

I just finished the oath ceremony at the district court in Detroit. I heard that some of the would be citizens did not turn up. Apparently the assumed reason is the oath letters did not make it on time.

Any of you who were successful at the interview and are waiting for oath letters for a while (I guess more than three weeks), can call the number
Citizenship Ceremonies:
Call (313) 568-6029.
which I got from the detroit page of the USCIS web site.

Thanks and Good Luck to all. This is a GREAT forum and has been very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
newbienew said:
I just finished the oath ceremony at the district court in Detroit. I heard that some of the would be citizens did not turn up. Apparently the assumed reason is the oath letters did not make it on time.

Any of you who were successful at the interview and are waiting for oath letters for a while (I guess more than three weeks), can call the number
Citizenship Ceremonies:
Call (313) 568-6029.
which I got from the detroit page of the USCIS web site.

Thanks and Good Luck to all. This is a GREAT forum and has been very helpful.
Waiting 3 weeks may be too long. My friend got his letter 1 week after interview and had his oath 4 days after that... maybe that was a special situation since it seems they crammed a lot of people into the large June 30 ceremony at Cobo.

N-652 says Congratulations But Infopass told BC pending

I had my N400 interview in Detroit on 6/22. IO told Congratulations and I should get oath letter for 6/30 ceremony. She also mentioned to watch my mails closely.. Since I did not hear anything until 7/12 I scheduled an Infopass for 7/17. During Infopass I found out my Background check is pending. Ha Ha Ha..... What a SYSTEM

My time line:
Detoirt DO
PD 2/7/06
FP 4/8/06
ID 6/22/06 (N-652 said "Congratulations" recommended for approval)
Infopass on 7/17: told background check pending...

DetN400,

Does not make sense they should not have given you N-652 with passed "congra.." with background check pending. They should have given you decision cannot made box. I am currently waiting for oath ceremony as I passed interview on 07/13/06 and specifically asked the IO that if background check is complete. IO said so far it is okay and should get oath in 3 -4 weeks...

tz6ph0
There is oath ceremony scheduled for 7/21 at Dearborn. You can check with (313) 568-6029, may be you are on the list. During my visit on 7/18, those who passed the interview and background check were given oath letter right away for 7/21 ceremony

epicstruggle said:
a few hours until my interview. God i hope everything goes well. :)

epic
[insert happy dancing pandas emoticon] I PASSED!!! and the lady was kind enough to let me wait in the lobby for almost 2 hours so that i could get a letter saying i could take the oath on the 28th of july. :) WOOT!!!!!! in 4 days ill be a citizen.

2 questions:
--how long does it take to get a US passport.
--can i travel on my south african passport if i cant wait for the US passport to come in?

kirit patel

epicstruggle said:
:p I PASSED!!! and the lady was kind enough to let me wait in the lobby for almost 2 hours so that i could get a letter saying i could take the oath on the 28th of july. :) WOOT!!!!!! in 4 days ill be a citizen.

2 questions:
--how long does it take to get a US passport.
--can i travel on my south african passport if i cant wait for the US passport to come in?

kirit patel

Finally, you prevailed. Good job epicstruggle [epic kirit patel]

It takes up to 5-6 weeks (they say) to get your passport, but you will probably get in 3-4 weeks. You can apply at your local (any) post office with passport service. I do not think expedited is any good unless you are in a super hurry, like leaving in few days.

I do not think you can come back to US on your South African Passport, I would suggest wait (may be a few weeks) and travel on your US Passport.

Does a US Citizen need a visa to go to South Africa? If yes you may have to apply for that as well after you get your passport.

Good luck, since your epic struggle is now over may I suggest you pick up a new humorous ID.

jha said:
Good luck, since your epic struggle is now over may I suggest you pick up a new humorous ID.
Actually i would guesstimate that my journey has only reached the half way point. I now need to get my wife a visa to come to the US. We have been married for 4 years and are yet to be together for more than a few weeks at a time. :(

kirit

Waiting for ID

Following is my info and I am waiting for ID:

PD: 5/18
FD: 6/21

Anyone else is in similar situation as mine?

still waiting - PD March 15 2006

Has anyone after 03/15/2006 received interview
PD- 03/15/2006
FP - 05/11/2006
Interview - ???

My wife's PD was 03/02/2006 - she got her Interview done today (July 27). She received interview letter on June 1st. I am still waiting even though filed just 2 weeks after.

I got my Oath letter

Looks like my roller coater ride (short one) is over. Just to recap, During interview IO told everything is fine and I should get oath with 2 weeks. Since I did not get any I took infopass. At infopass I was told BC is pending??? I will hear with in 1 year or so.

I wrote a letter to my IO asking for clarification. Today I got my oath letter for 8/4 ceremony.
PD: 2/7/06
FP: 4/8/06
ID: 6/22/06 (CONGRATULATIONS.... BLA.. BLA..)
Info pass: 7/17 told BC pending..
7/18: Wrote to IO for clarification.
7/28: Oath letter received
OD: 8/4 at Jackson MI...

Finally Done with PP and OCI

N-400 Mailed - 1/6
PD - 1/10
NOA dated 1/18 - Received 1/20
FP Noticed date 2/24 received 3/3
FP Done 3/21
Interview letter received 4/2
Interview -6/5 No problems, smooth, no papers een, even PP, GC and Drivers Licence, I kept on table, she did not touch.. Just repeating stetements in form, test and out in 10 minutes. Very pleasant lady.
Oath letter dated 6/9, received 6/13 for Oath on 6/30
Oath on 6/30. Had traveled during Interview and Oath... No problem. Say yes to answer and give dates. They dont even keep the letter and throw is away. Just kept my GC and gave Nat. Cert.
PP applied on 7/3. Received in 3 hours - Chicago PP agency
4th July Holiday.
Employment Visa for India on 7/5.. Got Indian PP canceled form Consulate
Flew to India 7/7.
Registered with FRRO on 7/10
Applied for OCI on 7/11 at MHA Office
Got OCI on 7/14... All done

Thanks to the forum. Any one with any question, please write to me on my email, with Subject "N-400" and I will reply. nkgeicher@hotmail.com

NAKOO happy working in India, with dual citizenship in hand
(14 days from Oath to OCI)

N400 Interview

Is your background check done? My PD is March 15. I got my fingerprint done but still waiting for Interview. FP was done on May 11. FBI hasn't received FP. How do I clarify?

Last edited by a moderator:
vipvan said:
Is your background check done? My PD is March 15. I got my fingerprint done but still waiting for Interview. FP was done on May 11. FBI hasn't received FP. How do I clarify?

How do I know if my background check has been done? I got my fingerprint on June 21. How should I check my status? How do I find out if FBI has received my FP. Thanks.

My mom has her naturalization interview coming up in few weeks. She is 56 and has lived here for the past 5yrs. She has been doing well in studying the questions but her command in the English language is very limited. Do any of you have a similar parent-experience? I wonder if she answers all 10 questions; would they still fail her if they feel that she does not communicate well in English?