Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

sehaider said:
epicstruggle, is your interview date Saturday June 24th? wondering they are open Saturday?

DO Detroit
PD: 3/7/06
ND: 3/14/06
FP: Notice Mailed 4/28
FP: Notice Recvd. 5/3
FP: Date 5/5, was out of town, so asked for reschedule
FP: reschedule date 7/29
FP: Completed 5/13. walk-in, no appointment at Detroit ASC Saturday 5/13
ID: 7/18
ACK!!! In my moment of joy, i misread the date. For some reason i keep thinking that my interview date is this month, when in reality its next month. F'ck, Im itching to become a citizen and get my wife over here. Sigh been separated from her for too long.

kirit

Travel after Interview till Oath

Thanks CanTex.

I had been outside the country for almost two years ( total of all visits ) during the past 5 years. Now, I have been outside the country for 21 days, during the gap between ID and Oath. Hope this is no problem.
ID - 6/5
Oath -6/30

Travel 6/7-6/28

Do they have the file with application etc with them to check if I am still within the required number of days ( which I am ) for the naturalisation?
Is your answer based upon any similar case? Sorry, I am asking this again, as I am bit scared that they do not postpone my oath on this base alone.

Thanks

Nakoo

Nakoo said:
Thanks CanTex.

I had been outside the country for almost two years ( total of all visits ) during the past 5 years. Now, I have been outside the country for 21 days, during the gap between ID and Oath. Hope this is no problem.
ID - 6/5
Oath -6/30

Travel 6/7-6/28

Do they have the file with application etc with them to check if I am still within the required number of days ( which I am ) for the naturalisation?
Is your answer based upon any similar case? Sorry, I am asking this again, as I am bit scared that they do not postpone my oath on this base alone.

Thanks

Nakoo

The USCIS officer(s) is (are) at a table just inside the side door of the courtroom. As people arrive before the scheduled time of the ceremony, you will line up outside the side door and a couple of people are let in at a time to meet the officer(s). He / she will go over your responses on the oath notice form and ask for your green card and then you can sit down in the courtroom to wait for the ceremony part (your guests enter at the back entrance and you can sit together once your processing is complete). I don't recall seeing anything in the way of immigration files there -- only the naturalization certificates and other materials they hand out at the ceremony. They did have a report that listed everyone on it who was scheduled for a ceremony, and possibly that report has on the # of days outside the U.S for each individual up until the time of the time of the interview.

If I were you, I would bring the copy of the N-400 that has your exit / entry dates on it, and any other summary you have of the dates since you sent in the N-400. Bring your passport(s) too -- assuming most of your trips have stamps to help document your absences. In all likelihood you won't be asked for this, but as you know, it's best to be prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cantex,

Our ceremony is going to be at Cobo hall. I expect that there would a huge crowd. Do they allow to take cameras for taking pictures during the ceremony?

Thanks

cp485 said:
Hi Cantex,

Our ceremony is going to be at Cobo hall. I expect that there would a huge crowd. Do they allow to take cameras for taking pictures during the ceremony?

Thanks
This must be a special 4th of July ceremony (see http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/July42006_061906PR.pdf). Still, you should be able to take pictures -- this was permitted even during the ceremony when held at the U.S. District Court in downtown Detroit.

Travel during Interview - Oath

CanTex said:
The USCIS officer(s) is (are) at a table just inside the side door of the courtroom. As people arrive before the scheduled time of the ceremony, you will line up outside the side door and a couple of people are let in at a time to meet the officer(s). He / she will go over your responses on the oath notice form and ask for your green card and then you can sit down in the courtroom to wait for the ceremony part (your guests enter at the back entrance and you can sit together once your processing is complete). I don't recall seeing anything in the way of immigration files there -- only the naturalization certificates and other materials they hand out at the ceremony. They did have a report that listed everyone on it who was scheduled for a ceremony, and possibly that report has on the # of days outside the U.S for each individual up until the time of the time of the interview.

If I were you, I would bring the copy of the N-400 that has your exit / entry dates on it, and any other summary you have of the dates since you sent in the N-400. Bring your passport(s) too -- assuming most of your trips have stamps to help document your absences. In all likelihood you won't be asked for this, but as you know, it's best to be prepared.

Thanks CanTex.
I will share my experrience, once done.
Nakoo

Oath details

Hello CP485 & Nakoo,

Fron where did your oath letter come from? Detroit or Lincoln. Thank you.

My time line:
DO: Detroit
Priority date: 2/7/2006
FP date: 4/8/2006
Interview date: 6/22/2006 (Approved)
Oath date: ??

The oath letter came form Lincoln

Hi detn400,

The oath letter came from Lincoln. Hope you can get into the June 30th event. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting for Background Check

Anyone in Detroit Do waiting for Background Check ? I had my interview on 06/14 and was told "Decision Cannot be made" due to background check pending.

timeline:
PD: 01/17/06
ID: 06/14/06 (Decison cannot be made)

Wow, NSC and Detroit are FAST!

My friend received his oath ceremony letter today, 1 week after the interview. His ceremony is this Friday with the rest of the crowd from here! 4.5 months -- wow, that is quick!!!

Here is his complete timeline:

Mailed N-400: 02/14/06
Rec'd at NSC: 02/15/06 (from tracking report)
Check cleared: 02/21/06
Case appeared on USCIS Status system: 02/28/06
Received Receipt Notice: 03/03/06 (PD: 02/15/06, ND 02/24/06)
Received Fingerprint Notification: 03/06/06 (ND: 03/01/06)
Fingerprint appointment: 03/21/06 (Grand Rapids ASC)
On-line status disappeared: 04/06/06
Received Interview Notification: 04/08/06 (ND: 04/03/06)
Interview appointment: 06/19/06 -- all OK
Received Oath Ceremony Notification: 06/26/06
Oath Ceremony: 06/30/06

Became a US citizen today

Hello:

Finally became a US citizen today in Detroit. It was a long oath ceremony with around 800+ new citiizens from 82 countries. Eventhough the oath invitation had 9:00 as the start time, but the event started at 10:00am. The experience was same as everyone posted in this forum.

After the oath ceremony, we also saw people from social security and passport office to collect applications, but long lines whereever you go. I went to the post office closest to my house and applied for the passport (by expedite processing)

Thanks for all your help. Good luck to everyone and I wish everyone gets their citizenship soon.

Thanks again

BTW, If you have oath ceremony in Cobo Hall in future, please allow extra for getting parking.

cp485 said:
Hello:

Finally became a US citizen today in Detroit. It was a long oath ceremony with around 800+ new citiizens from 82 countries. Eventhough the oath invitation had 9:00 as the start time, but the event started at 10:00am. The experience was same as everyone posted in this forum.

After the oath ceremony, we also saw people from social security and passport office to collect applications, but long lines whereever you go. I went to the post office closest to my house and applied for the passport (by expedite processing)

Thanks for all your help. Good luck to everyone and I wish everyone gets their citizenship soon.

Thanks again

BTW, If you have oath ceremony in Cobo Hall in future, please allow extra for getting parking.
Congratulations on your ceremony. :) Do they give your naturalization certificate then and there?

kirit

cp485 said:
Hello:

Thanks again

Congrats!

I was there too, for my friends ceremony. This was a very lengthy event (almost 3 hours) compared to the much smaller district court ceremony I had last year (that took less than an hour). Sen. Levin's speech was especially good.

epicstruggle said:
Congratulations on your ceremony. :) Do they give your naturalization certificate then and there?

kirit

Of course -- at the end after the oath portion though. Ordinarily the ceremonies held at the district court downtown are a much smaller (and faster) event.

passpaort apps

I also attended the oath on 6/30 in Detroit and applied for passport @ USPS close to my house. The lady from USPS collected my Naturalization Certificate. She said I will get it back when I receive the passport. Is this normal? I am a little worry because my friend told me under no circumstances should I give up ther certificate. Anyone has the same experience at USPS? Thanks

gwong said:
I also attended the oath on 6/30 in Detroit and applied for passport @ USPS close to my house. The lady from USPS collected my Naturalization Certificate. She said I will get it back when I receive the passport. Is this normal? I am a little worry because my friend told me under no circumstances should I give up ther certificate. Anyone has the same experience at USPS? Thanks

Yes, its normal. They take your naturalisation certificate, when you want to get your US passport made for the first time. I personally have no experience, but that is what I gather from reading other threads.

Congratulations

Congratulations epicstruggle. I have a friend who had to wait for a couple of years to get his wife here. I was lucky that my wife is already here on H1, so I applied for her GC immediately after I got my USC. She has got a GC interview letter (it took about 4 months). We have a very unique last name (unlike yours - my friend had a name check pending for almost 18 months because he had a very common last name like yours) so I am hoping that name check clearance should be easy.

I also put my USC oath experience in this thread (Page 10 - Apr 6, 06) for others who may be interested.