Detention for Traffic violations

lostmom

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am filling the N-400 form. There is a question in Part 10(q 16) asking if any law enforcement officer ever detained you.

I have had a traffic violation for which got 2 points. Do I need to report it here. Unlike most forms this form does not say

"No need to include minor traffic violations.."

Please help.

Some people choose to not report it but it was often reported that the IO's expect us to report it. Eventually they will ingore it during interview if there is no arrest or DUI involved but you still need to report it on the application. Make sure to get court dispositions proving your position. I reported mine and also, updated a new traffic violation during interview and the IO moved to the next item after asking if I was arrested during those tickets.

Some people choose to not report it but it was often reported that the IO's expect us to report it. Eventually they will ingore it during interview if there is no arrest or DUI involved but you still need to report it on the application. Make sure to get court dispositions proving your position. I reported mine and also, updated a new traffic violation during interview and the IO moved to the next item after asking if I was arrested during those tickets.

Does the IO actually know of all the traffic tickets and just waiting for you to own up? Do they have some super long range database they check against? Or do they just look at the same websites we look at, and if nothing shows up on our website, then there's nothing to report?

Just very curious.

Hi All,

I am filling the N-400 form. There is a question in Part 10(q 16) asking if any law enforcement officer ever detained you.

I have had a traffic violation for which got 2 points. Do I need to report it here. Unlike most forms this form does not say

"No need to include minor traffic violations.."

Please help.

Quesion 16 part is about arrests, citations and detentions. If your traffic ticket required a court presence is it a citation and therefore you would answer YES to that question.

Does the IO actually know of all the traffic tickets and just waiting for you to own up? Do they have some super long range database they check against? Or do they just look at the same websites we look at, and if nothing shows up on our website, then there's nothing to report?

Just very curious.

USCIS expects you to own up...

USCIS expects you to own up...

But do they know about tickets ahead of time? I've already listed my ticket, so it's moot in my case. But knowing if the IOs have some kind of advance knowledge would help other folks make the right decision. In other words, if the IOs know about your tickets, there really isn't much of an option is there?

But do they know about tickets ahead of time? I've already listed my ticket, so it's moot in my case. But knowing if the IOs have some kind of advance knowledge would help other folks make the right decision. In other words, if the IOs know about your tickets, there really isn't much of an option is there?

You made the right decision. I dont' think there is an option at all. The question is pretty straightforward: Have you ever been cited ... for any reason? (the 'ever' is in Bold on the N400. Perhaps they need to make the 'for any reason' bold as well)

In case that is not clear enough for some people, here is Question #4 that comes on the back of the Oath Letter.
(Since the Interview...)
4. Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations? (Yes/No)

Seems logical to assume that if they want to know about your traffic violations between Interview and Oath, they are interested in them between GC and Interview as well.

But to answer your question. USCIS does not check your DMV records.

They don't know about tickets ahead of time, nor do they really care about them. If you disclosed your ticket, make sure you bring proof of payment, despite what the Guide to Naturalization instructs you to do.

You made the right decision. I dont' think there is an option at all. The question is pretty straightforward: Have you ever been cited ... for any reason? (the 'ever' is in Bold on the N400. Perhaps they need to make the 'for any reason' bold as well)

In case that is not clear enough for some people, here is Question #4 that comes on the back of the Oath Letter.
(Since the Interview...)
4. Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations? (Yes/No)

Seems logical to assume that if they want to know about your traffic violations between Interview and Oath, they are interested in them between GC and Interview as well.

But to answer your question. USCIS does not check your DMV records.

Thanks GungaDin. If I remember correctly, you got your DMV record. Did you get it on the spot or do they send it in the mail? The earliest appointment I can make now is on 3/4, and might be too late if they don't give me my record on the spot. And I might have to send in my request by mail.

Thanks again.

Thanks GungaDin. If I remember correctly, you got your DMV record. Did you get it on the spot or do they send it in the mail? The earliest appointment I can make now is on 3/4, and might be too late if they don't give me my record on the spot. And I might have to send in my request by mail.

Thanks again.

Nevermind, answered my own question by waiting at DMV. It's weird that wait time without appointment is shorter than wait time with appointment. :)

Hey guys another question.Do I need to send the ORIGINAL copy of the ticket as stated on p49 of the pdf 476(naturalization guide)? I only got a 2 point ticket and I did appear in court later and paid the required fee.No DUI or drugs.No arrests either.

Please help as I am getting confused as earlier in the document , it says that minor traffic incidents just need to be reported and documentation need not be sent!!

Hey guys another question.Do I need to send the ORIGINAL copy of the ticket as stated on p49 of the pdf 476(naturalization guide)? I only got a 2 point ticket and I did appear in court later and paid the required fee.No DUI or drugs.No arrests either.

Please help as I am getting confused as earlier in the document , it says that minor traffic incidents just need to be reported and documentation need not be sent!!

If you can get original docuemnts without much effort, then get them and submit them during interview.
If you can not get them or need to make great efforts to get them, then forget about them. a reasonable
IO will not insist upon seeing oroginal for a minor traffic violation and we have to trust IOs to be reasonable
people.

minor traffic incidents just need to be reported and documentation need not be sent

There was a report a few months ago about the NY DO verifying DMV records or unpaid tickets of applicants for traffic violations, but it may only involve traffic violations that resulted in arrest or for which an arrest warant has been issued.

There was a report a few months ago about the NY DO verifying DMV records or unpaid tickets of applicants for traffic violations, but it may only involve traffic violations that resulted in arrest or for which an arrest warant has been issued.

I think I remember reading something about an applicant whose interviewing IO knew about a warrant resulting from an unpaid traffic ticket. It probably came up during the background check.

I know it's a long shot, but would you happen to ahve a link to that post? I'd be interested in taking a look at it again.

I think I remember reading something about an applicant whose interviewing IO knew about a warrant resulting from an unpaid traffic ticket. It probably came up during the background check.

I know it's a long shot, but would you happen to ahve a link to that post? I'd be interested in taking a look at it again.

During casual talk here, some immigrat worker often say blah blah they once got a ticket say in Virginia and never paid the ticket
many years ago. They even did not realiza they need to disclose that on whatever immigration form. But they never
got into any trouble but passed every single stage of immigration journey smoothly. In this world, honest people suffers
and corrupt people prosper (in all aspect of life)

Unfortunately I can't find that post. It may be in NYC experiences thread or may have deleted by poster.

During casual talk here, some immigrat worker often say blah blah they once got a ticket say in Virginia and never paid the ticket
many years ago. They even did not realiza they need to disclose that on whatever immigration form. But they never
got into any trouble but passed every single stage of immigration journey smoothly. In this world, honest people suffers
and corrupt people prosper (in all aspect of life)

In many cases, honest people suffer as a direct result of their honesty.