Derivative Asylee goes back to home country

amtbooks

Registered Users (C)
Updated (July 1) Derivative Asylee goes back to home country

Update July 1, 2005.
Just came back from my home country yesterday, here is a summary what I did:
1) Had the company supplied a letter to prove that I need to go back to my home country;
2) Sent expedite request to BCIS NSC for emergency advance parole;
3) Got approved within 10 days vis UPS;
4) ...
5) Re-entered US in Chicago with passport and parole paper. Sent to secondary interview room; an officer took my documenations into another room and came out 5 min. later, handed over my passport and parole papers and said, "have a good day".

Original post
I am a derivative asylee and working in a U.S. company, today, my boss discussed a project with me that might require me to travel back to my home country in the next two months.

I knew that it is no recommendable for me to travel back to home country, however, I want to ask whether anyone in the forum has ever learned some asylee got punished (denial of entrance, etc.) because of returning to home country?

Now I have the RTD and valid national passport with me, if I have no choice but go back to home country, then I need to apply for an advance parole (I submitted I-485 earlier this year), right?

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
amtbooks said:
I am a derivative asylee and working in a U.S. company, today, my boss discussed a project with me that might require me to travel back to my home country in the next two months.

I knew that it is no recommendable for me to travel back to home country, however, I want to ask whether anyone in the forum has ever learned some asylee got punished (denial of entrance, etc.) because of returning to home country?

Now I have the RTD and valid national passport with me, if I have no choice but go back to home country, then I need to apply for an advance parole (I submitted I-485 earlier this year), right?

one of my friends who is derivative asyless went back home country last year, did not have any problem at all..
but again, its not recommended....no one in this forum can tell you exactly what consequence u will face, all we have are the stories we heard so far
so, just be careful

I would recommend AGAINST this. I was a derivative and during my I-485 interview the offier asked me if I ever went back.

Kaoticfury,

Did your friend used RTD or national passport with advance poral to come back to the U.S.?

Thanks for your reply.

kaoticfury said:
one of my friends who is derivative asyless went back home country last year, did not have any problem at all..
but again, its not recommended....no one in this forum can tell you exactly what consequence u will face, all we have are the stories we heard so far
so, just be careful

I don't agree with this. If you search some of the earlier posts on this topic, you might find one where members have mentioned no problem with derivative asylee going back home.
In my case , INS took 1 1/2 years to process I-730 for dependents. The reason they gave when i called was that they have so many petitions for dependents and Asylee dependents happen to fall on the least priority list. It's like saying for every 20 citizen petition for dependents ,1 Asylee I-730. So, they are in no rush to process(as no threat perception for them). Secondly, it is by law that Asylee can call it's depedents to join him since he can't go back home.
The reason they are also called derivative asylee's is because INS needs some category to define their status. So, they are not Asylees but depedents of an asylee.
I think you should have no problem going back home.
But this is just my personal opinion better call an attoney and get advice.
P.S : If you name was in the origional petition for Asylum then all the above views are void.

My wife granted asylum one year earlier than me, I used I-730 to adjust my derivative asylee status.

Asylee13 said:
I don't agree with this. If you search some of the earlier posts on this topic, you might find one where members have mentioned no problem with derivative asylee going back home.
In my case , INS took 1 1/2 years to process I-730 for dependents. The reason they gave when i called was that they have so many petitions for dependents and Asylee dependents happen to fall on the least priority list. It's like saying for every 20 citizen petition for dependents ,1 Asylee I-730. So, they are in no rush to process(as no threat perception for them). Secondly, it is by law that Asylee can call it's depedents to join him since he can't go back home.
The reason they are also called derivative asylee's is because INS needs some category to define their status. So, they are not Asylees but depedents of an asylee.
I think you should have no problem going back home.
But this is just my personal opinion better call an attoney and get advice.
P.S : If you name was in the origional petition for Asylum then all the above views are void.

Is asylee counts derivative if his name was in the original petition? For ex if the father gets asylum granted and two daughters are included in the original application do the dauthers get derivative status they get regular asylum?

amtbooks said:

The MAIN QUESTION IN YOUR CASE IS YOUR HOME COUNTRY THE SAME FROM WHICH YOU'VE BEEN GRANTED ASYLUM??
I'm a derivative asylee too: my home country is Latvia BUT my husband's (=hi is the main petitioner for asylum) home country is Belarus, SO for me go to Belarus more than restricted, but I can go (so is hi) to my HOME COUNTRY Latvia without any restrictions; because we have political asylum from Belarus and its nothing to do with my home country Latvia.
Get clear with your home country :)

opinion said:
The MAIN QUESTION IN YOUR CASE IS YOUR HOME COUNTRY THE SAME FROM WHICH YOU'VE BEEN GRANTED ASYLUM??
I'm a derivative asylee too: my home country is Latvia BUT my husband's (=hi is the main petitioner for asylum) home country is Belarus, SO for me go to Belarus more than restricted, but I can go (so is hi) to my HOME COUNTRY Latvia without any restrictions; because we have political asylum from Belarus and its nothing to do with my home country Latvia.

Opinion, Hi!
I am in exactly same situation :) . I went to see my family once already
and I am going back home again next month.
The stupidest thing is the INS puts my country of birth in my RTD and then, when I apply for a visa in the same country’s embassy, with my Asylum/Refugee Travel Passport, I have to submit some extra papers proving I am not their citizen, plus I need an original invitation. That’s all. And when I arrived back from home last time I was afraid I’ll be questioned by POE officer, since the country on my RTD and on my visa is the same, but they never asked anything. Maybe because I am derivative?

opinion said:

Hey... Did you get your receipt already? I have the same dates as you do and I am from Belarus :) I send my I-485 more than 2 weeks ago and no receipt... Usually I get it right away but not this time. Though they deposited
my checks to American Treasury almost 2 weeks ago still no mail from USCIS. :(

Minsk said:
Hey... Did you get your receipt already? I have the same dates as you do and I am from Belarus :) I send my I-485 more than 2 weeks ago and no receipt... Usually I get it right away but not this time. Though they deposited
my checks to American Treasury almost 2 weeks ago still no mail from USCIS. :(
Hi, Minsk I didn't get my receipt eather. Its been five days only in my case. You will get it don't worry :)

amtbooks said:
Update July 1, 2005.
Just came back from my home country yesterday, here is a summary what I did:
1) Had the company supplied a letter to prove that I need to go back to my home country;
2) Sent expedite request to BCIS NSC for emergency advance parole;
3) Got approved within 10 days vis UPS;
4) ...
5) Re-entered US in Chicago with passport and parole paper. Sent to secondary interview room; an officer took my documenations into another room and came out 5 min. later, handed over my passport and parole papers and said, "have a good day".

Original post

I was wondering what kind of the documents you showed when you came out your own country. your RTD or just advance parole. that could make diffrence. could you tell us, please?

Passport and parole paper.

mmm-mmm said:
I was wondering what kind of the documents you showed when you came out your own country. your RTD or just advance parole. that could make diffrence. could you tell us, please?

I think the question now is that: will USCIS deny your I-485 application because of this return / will USCIS deny your future naturalization application.

opinion! how come you were granted asylum and applied for GC the same year. There is a requirement of 1 year wait time?