Delaying Oath, I knew this would happen

Don't be so crass.

@MacTavish: A little over the top with "crass," but I get your point. I place greater store in the Citizenship privilege than anything else I can think of. But as stated in the Bill of Rights it is OK to see things differently. :)

@heantune: OK, I see what you are saying, I was responding in context with the OPs original statement and not adjustments made in following suggestions. There is no guarantee that the OP would have been following those suggestions and therefor JOL's statement did not seem correct. If JOL had elaborated (quoted) that is what he was responding to, I would never have commented.

I always opt for the line of least likely screw ups when dealing with large Corporations and Government departments. Just a lifetime (now retired) of business experience speaking here.

I do not want to start a "he said, she said" thing here so will wish the OP well with whatever course he/she chooses. I have read some horror stories here on bad outcomes from rescheduling and while there are also good outcomes from rescheduling it only takes one (the individual's) to really mess things up for that individual.

If my wife meets an IO through Infopass, can the IO give her a same day/ next day oath? Or will it be the same outcome as mailing (Option#1) a re-schedule request in?

Dallas DO has 2 oath ceremonies everyday, why don't they just schedule EVERYONE for the same day or the next day oath. It would be so much easier!

Ditto.

Another way would be to apply for the expedited passport the same day of the oath, then designate an agent to pick up the passport. Then have the agent/friend/family send the passport via courier to your destination country (in this case Canada).

Risky, but a viable option if moving the oath was such a concern.

It is illegal to send passport out of country.

BTW, you only need passport for air travel to Canada. Why not fly to a border city and cross over by car? The citizenship certificate, US photo ID (and posobly the foriegn passport) should be sufficient. I havent researched this but an option to be reserched by OP.

It is illegal to send passport out of country.

BTW, you only need passport for air travel to Canada. Why not fly to a border city and cross over by car? The citizenship certificate, US photo ID (and posobly the foriegn passport) should be sufficient. I havent researched this but an option to be reserched by OP.

Not true since 1st of June 2009. Now a passport is needed for land and sea as well as air - Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

H

BTW, you only need passport for air travel to Canada.

This information is not accurate. As of 1st June, 2009, passports were required for all land crossings into the US (Canada & Mexico).

The OP has been given some inaccurate information in this thread.

The facts are:
A US citizen must use a US passport to leave and re-enter the US. It is not legal to leave the US and have a US passport mailed to you for re-entry.
It is not legal to use a foreign passport and a greencard once you are a citizen (a moot point anyway, since your GC is surrendered at oath ceremony)

I don't think is a good idea to delay oath for a wedding or any other related family event.

If you decide to delay the oath ceremony for the reason of wedding in a foreign country then you must answer YES to question 2 in form N-445 Have you traveled outside the United States?

Then an official at the Oath must interview you again and ask any questions he/she consider neccesary, are you sure do you want an extra interview with USCI officials?

The lawyers recommend do not travel outside USA while you are waiting for oath letter, It's always better to answer NO to all questions in form N-445 in order to avoid problems during oath ceremony.

I don't think is a good idea to delay oath for a wedding or any other related family event.

If you decide to delay the oath ceremony for the reason of wedding in a foreign country then you must answer YES to question 2 in form N-445 Have you traveled outside the United States?

Then an official at the Oath must interview you again and ask any questions he/she consider neccesary, are you sure do you want an extra interview with USCI officials?

The lawyers recommend do not travel outside USA while you are waiting for oath letter, It's always better to answer NO to all questions in form N-445 in order to avoid problems during oath ceremony.

I would be very reluctant to delay oath, I found doing that very stressful.

But, I disagree that it's a big deal to travel between interview and oath. At oath they just ask you about it and write a few notes - it's not anything like an interview at that point in time. I traveled to Europe between interview and oath and it was no problem at all.

H

(though I don't understand how this would work for people applying for PP renewal when living abroad).

In this situation, the passport is sent to the U.S. consulate in the country where the applicant is living, where the applicant must pick it up in person.

Can we get US Passport within one day if we go to Houston?

Irving as in Dallas? If so, and assuming the oath is early morning (which I think the non-same day oaths are), then you could conceivably drive to Houston straight afterwards and get a same-day passport.

I would be very reluctant to delay oath, I found doing that very stressful.

Speaking of stress, I actually think that an oath scheduling conflict is a godsend of an awesome excuse to miss a family wedding, and I write this as a newlywed.

Finito!

Just wanted to update the thread with the outcome.

My wife postponed her oath scheduled for 7/23. She got the letter with her new oath date on 7/20. The oath was scheduled for 8/13. Went just fine. She's happy she decided to go to the wedding.

Congratulations! :) I was pretty sure it was going to work alright. Of all the things you can do, delaying the oath is the less risky. Delaying an interview is somewhat riskier. I think delaying fingerprint doesn't have much risk either.