Delaying Oath, I knew this would happen

bkd52

Registered Users (C)
I had a bad feeling, I knew this was going to happen.

My wife talked to an IO who told her that her Oath is scheduled for 7/23.
We have a trip planned to Canada that week for a family wedding on 7/24!
Obviously, there's no way she can take the oath, get her Passport and travel the same day.

So, we want to postpone her oath ceremony. However, from all the posts in this forum, that is a bad idea. Despite that, what is the best way to delay it?

(1)Just wait for the oath letter, and mail it back in asking to re-schedule?

(2) or, Should she schedule a meeting with an IO through Infopass at the Irving center, take the letter with her, and re-submit her photos(I imagine they will need new photos signed as they have used up the old one for the oath certificate scheduled on 7/23)?

Delaying the oath is not as bad. Most cases it works fine. I would wait for the letter and ask to reschedule.It might delay the whole thing for a month or so, which I guess should be ok with you.

Irving as in Dallas? If so, and assuming the oath is early morning (which I think the non-same day oaths are), then you could conceivably drive to Houston straight afterwards and get a same-day passport.

Delaying the oath is not as bad. Most cases it works fine. I would wait for the letter and ask to reschedule.It might delay the whole thing for a month or so, which I guess should be ok with you.

I think some people have experienced much longer delays and headaches.

I am beginning to think that maybe Option#2 is better. Wait for the letter, schedule infopass appointment at Irving, take new photos, and request a postponed oath in person.

dms1:
Yes, Irving, Dallas. Oath is at 8:30AM. End at 10AM. Drive to Houston passport Agency which closes at 3:30PM. Too late to get same day Passport.

That might be true, but my experience is also that people tend to post when they have trouble. Most people who start posting before they do something (not knowing if it will be alright or not) have good outcomes. Not to say that something might go wrong with rescheduling the oath, but I would put the risk as low. Choice 1 or 2 should be the same. Choice 1 will require less effort from your part.

I had a bad feeling, I knew this was going to happen.

My wife talked to an IO who told her that her Oath is scheduled for 7/23.
We have a trip planned to Canada that week for a family wedding on 7/24!
Obviously, there's no way she can take the oath, get her Passport and travel the same day.

So, we want to postpone her oath ceremony. However, from all the posts in this forum, that is a bad idea. Despite that, what is the best way to delay it?

(1)Just wait for the oath letter, and mail it back in asking to re-schedule?

(2) or, Should she schedule a meeting with an IO through Infopass at the Irving center, take the letter with her, and re-submit her photos(I imagine they will need new photos signed as they have used up the old one for the oath certificate scheduled on 7/23)?

Is there an earlier oath than the one she is scheduled for?

That might be true, but my experience is also that people tend to post when they have trouble. Most people who start posting before they do something (not knowing if it will be alright or not) have good outcomes. Not to say that something might go wrong with rescheduling the oath, but I would put the risk as low. Choice 1 or 2 should be the same. Choice 1 will require less effort from your part.

My preference for Option#2 is that - in person, there's less chance of USCIS misplacing the file or getting lost in a stack of rubble.

Has anyone currently in this forum requested an Oath Delay? Please post your experiences.

Is there an earlier oath than the one she is scheduled for?

There's one everyday in Irving, Dallas. In fact twice a day.
But I think they send the Nat. Cert.s to be printed ahead of time(IO told my wife she will need new photos because her photos are already used up on the Nat. Cert. sent off to Print) and it shows the date of the oath/Naturalization on it.

I believe you can do an InfoPass and talk to the IO and mention this travel plan. As Dallas has same day oaths,,you can get it done without issues if they allow it. Driving back and forth to Houston is a one day deal... so you have to plan atleast couple of days ahead of the travel. However, postponing the Oath ceremony wont delay that much in your DO because they have plenty of slots and they do it on a daily basis. This is not your interview you are postponing,, so I dont think it will be that bad. Net Net,, talk to an IO. Then you can figure out whats the best option suitable for you.

I rescheduled mine twice, 3rd time was lucky. The Philadelphia office were very helpful and I was able to schedule oath on a day where both my wife and I could attend. As always, every case is different........

H

Rescheduling oath is no issue. Just send in oath letter and request it to be rescheduled. Follow up with USCIS about two weeks later to make sure they got your request.

Just go with option #1, and follow-up as Bob suggests.

In hindsight, you'll probably cherish the time with your friends and family far more than attending the oath a month or two early.

And short travel duration ahead of an oath is a non-issue, so don't sweat that item.

Let me get this straight: Why can't you guys take the oath and travel with your foreign passport? (assuming you have a nationality which allows dual citizenship, meaning you get to keep your original nationality passport....)

Let me get this straight: Why can't you guys take the oath and travel with your foreign passport? (assuming you have a nationality which allows dual citizenship, meaning you get to keep your original nationality passport....)
The foreign passport won't let them get back into the US.

Ditto.

Another way would be to apply for the expedited passport the same day of the oath, then designate an agent to pick up the passport. Then have the agent/friend/family send the passport via courier to your destination country (in this case Canada).

Risky, but a viable option if moving the oath was such a concern.

I would take an InfoPass appointment and will try to convince the IO to see if they can let me take oath on the same day. Nothing wrong in trying. If they can not do the same day oath on the infopass appointment, at least I can ask them to schedule a week or 2 before 7/23. Just give it a shot. They already scheduled your oath and also they do same day oaths prepararing the naturalization certificate in a matter of couple of hours after interview. So why not, give you a chance to finish oath earlier than your departure date. Give it a shot.

Why not? They still have their GCs, no? Almost any foreign passport plus GC gets you back in the country. Even if their original country does not allow dual, they are not yet USC until they take the Oath.

I have to also say, do the OPs have their priorities straight. Missing a family wedding in order to get the most coveted (Internationally) Citizenship seems a small price to pay. Go to the Oath and get the newlyweds to send you a video.

Why not? They still have their GCs, no? Almost any foreign passport plus GC gets you back in the country. Even if their original country does not allow dual, they are not yet USC until they take the Oath.

I have to also say, do the OPs have their priorities straight. Missing a family wedding in order to get the most coveted (Internationally) Citizenship seems a small price to pay. Go to the Oath and get the newlyweds to send you a video.

Back in the thread, the question was

To which the reply was

i.e. the assumption was oath taken, GC given up, then head out to Canada without US passport, answer last quote above.

H

Don't be so crass, family occasions only happen once you can take the oath any time that suits.

Just send back the oath letter with a cover letter explaining why you need to postpone, worked for me :)