Decision cannot be made

there's no "approved" check box on the N652, only "congratulations/recommended for approval" check box. I think they check that box even when a senior officer interviews you (juniors for sure), because that's the "highest" level of passing that N652 offers (no check box for "approved"), so if you have the "recommended for approval" box checked (I assume that's what you mean by "approved cases"?) then it's safe to assume that the file can still be reviewed by a senior officer.
BobSmyth will probably provide a more accurate answer.

What I meant by "approved " is that the case is ready to be scheduled for an oath. The way I understand it is that some IOs have the authority to mark your case as "recommended for approved ", whereas other don't and must mark it as "decision cannot be made" until a senior officer reviews the facts first. A case will also be marked "decision cannot be made" if the applicant is given a chance to provide additional information , or if additional reviews must first be made on the case (like travel dates taken since application, or determination of sufficient proof for US residency).

ah. i see. I thought the "approved case" term was used by OP in error, and didn't realized he was quoting you.
- apologies - :)

During the interview I was totally shocked to see how thick my file was. While the IO was reviewing my case, I saw documents that were filed more than 10 years ago H1B stuff etc. Does anybody know what will happen to that file once I am naturalized? Where do they store this crap after everything is said and done?

During the interview I was totally shocked to see how thick my file was. While the IO was reviewing my case, I saw documents that were filed more than 10 years ago H1B stuff etc. Does anybody know what will happen to that file once I am naturalized? Where do they store this crap after everything is said and done?

After you're naturalized, the file will be archived at the National Records Center in Missouri.

Can you obtain the copy by Freedom of Information Act?

As Bobsmyth stated, the file can be obtained through a FOIA request. In fact, I requested my file a little over a month ago. It may take up to 2 years to receive your file once your request is entered into their system.

Bobby,

Funny you mentioned it.. On my interview the same thing happened.. Before he even started the interview, he gestured toward thick brown folders behind him and said, "we normally have the full file here @ the time of interview, but ur file is not here, we just have temporary file for you (all it had was my N400 application and all the docs I sent with it). However there is no reason we cannot approve ur benefit today if every thing goes well". And then he proceeded with all the questions and stuff, which went well imo.

However, @ the end he gave me this letter stating that though I passed the test, but Decision cannot be made yet.. He said that it may take a few weeks to get my file and then IF every thing goes well he will send me oath letter.:mad:

What I meant by "approved " is that the case is ready to be scheduled for an oath. The way I understand it is that some IOs have the authority to mark your case as "recommended for approved ", whereas other don't and must mark it as "decision cannot be made" until a senior officer reviews the facts first. A case will also be marked "decision cannot be made" if the applicant is given a chance to provide additional information , or if additional reviews must first be made on the case (like travel dates taken since application, or determination of sufficient proof for US residency).

Bobby,

Funny you mentioned it.. On my interview the same thing happened.. Before he even started the interview, he gestured toward thick brown folders behind him and said, "we normally have the full file here @ the time of interview, but ur file is not here, we just have temporary file for you (all it had was my N400 application and all the docs I sent with it). However there is no reason we cannot approve ur benefit today if every thing goes well". And then he proceeded with all the questions and stuff, which went well imo.

However, @ the end he gave me this letter stating that though I passed the test, but Decision cannot be made yet.. He said that it may take a few weeks to get my file and then IF every thing goes well he will send me oath letter.:mad:

In your case , your complete case file didn't make it to the DO from the NBC. Sometimes they end up canceling the interview when this happens, and sometimes they go ahead with interview anyways. This shows another reason why they hand out the "decision cannot be made" since they must consolidate the interview results with you case file first.

How long it takes to transfer file from main record office to local distract office?

BobS. and all,

Does any one had idea RE: how long it takes to transfer file from main record office to local distract office? IO mentioned a couple of weeks, but I am wondering what is should be my realistic expectation?

and I hope that once IO receives the file, he will make a decision in one week? and then anohter 1 week to receive the letter.. am I right?

In your case , your complete case file didn't make it to the DO from the NBC. Sometimes they end up canceling the interview when this happens, and sometimes they go ahead with interview anyways. This shows another reason why they hand out the "decision cannot be made" since they must consolidate the interview results with you case file first.

It's hard to say when the NBC will transfer the case files to the DO in your case, but I suspect that the DO has already put in a request are now waiting for them to arrive. If you don't hear anything within 30 days after, schedule an Infopass for an update on your case.

Yikes, the storage facility must be huge... I am surpirsed they don't loose more files in this paper work maze....

Is there a fee for requestion your immigration file?

Yikes, the storage facility must be huge... I am surpirsed they don't loose more files in this paper work maze....

Is there a fee for requestion your immigration file?

There's no fee to request your file under FOIA/PA. This is probably one of the very few things that the USCIS doesn't charge an arm and a leg for.

n652

hello i passed my interview citizenship test 30 days ago the officer gave me n-652 that you passed test but Decision Can not be made yet ..i have disability in my foot i walk with cane and the officer asked what is your work i told him iam food vendor and he told me that you have disability and you work as food vendor isnot hard for youi told him i dont work too much ...he asked why you dont take disability benefit i told him i dont take no benefit and that i said is true..he asked how you support your self and you work as part time i told him i suport my self iam working,,,i show him my 5 years tax but i dont pay too much money in my income tax..at last he told me Decision Can not be made right now and that he will check my income and i will get Decision by the mail ..iam now very worry i did not recieved no thing pleaze can you tell me what to do i have to call them or what :confused:..thank you all

hello i passed my interview citizenship test 30 days ago the officer gave me n-652 that you passed test but Decision Can not be made yet ..i have disability in my foot i walk with cane and the officer asked what is your work i told him iam food vendor and he told me that you have disability and you work as food vendor isnot hard for youi told him i dont work too much ...he asked why you dont take disability benefit i told him i dont take no benefit and that i said is true..he asked how you support your self and you work as part time i told him i suport my self iam working,,,i show him my 5 years tax but i dont pay too much money in my income tax..at last he told me Decision Can not be made right now and that he will check my income and i will get Decision by the mail ..iam now very worry i did not recieved no thing pleaze can you tell me what to do i have to call them or what :confused:..thank you all

Did you make some claim to receive disability benefits to officer during interview?

no he just asked me how much you pay your rent ..how much money i make from my job in the month i answerd him about all things and he wrote that in the paper ...and he was wonder why i dont get the benefit..he asked me why you dont take disability benenfit i told him i dont take no benefit right now..

Last edited by a moderator:
no he just asked me how much you pay your rent ..how much money i make from my job in the month i answerd him about all things and he wrote that in the paper ...and he was wonder why i dont get the benefit..he asked me why you dont take disability benenfit i told him i dont take no benefit right now..

I am not sure but getting disability benefit can create a problem. Possible he was trapping you.

yes you right he was trapping me i felt with that during the interview ...may be the officer did not believe me that even i have disability iam working and i dont take no disability benefit ...any way iam still waiting the Decision by the mail