• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

December Cutoffs released!!!!!

Could it be that a high number of interviews are successful each month that's why the numbers are so low as opposed to the African and euro nations where there are high numbers of unsuccessful applicants?

Could it be that a high number of interviews are successful each month that's why the numbers are so low as opposed to the African and euro nations where there are high numbers of unsuccessful applicants?

I think so. They will increase or slow down the number in order to control demand. The slow moving number probably means that a lot of people with lower case number actually sent their forms to the kcc and that a good deal are showing up for their interviews.

Thank you so much Gabam for doing this! :) Too bad I didn't see your post until after the numbers were officially released (ah busy life...). But next month I will be waiting for your update ;)
You are awesome! Thanks again!

Just called KCC, luckily here are the numbers for December. Congrats to guys who are current in December 2013. May you have a smooth and successful interview, Amin!

Asia 2650
Africa 17900 except Egypt 9050, Ethiopia 11000, Nigeria 8000
Europe 12500
South America 675
Oceania 450

Congratulations to all of you who are current, and those of us who are waiting - let us be patient! :)

Pitbull, I thought you could really help me with my sociolinguistic project on impoliteness that I am currently working on. You could be my case study! :) Then when I present my research later on, I will definitely give you credit LOL

Joking aside, your ability to insult so many good people here in such a short period of time is truly astonishing.

Wow, you really must not have any manners yourself. I was the first one to give you the update, not him, next time you do it yourself!

Actually, the embassies and consular posts have not give the return rate back to DOS yet. Interviews for DV14 just started in October and the December cut off numbers are allocated in early October, so the success rate of interviews still unknown at this point. December cut off usually slow and that could be the Holiday session for US. Normally, Oct to Dec cut-off will take about 10-15% of the overall regional selectees. So, for high number selectees, Jan to Mar is where the actual progress happen and you can use this period of time to gauge whether your # will be current. Until then, be patient and hope for the best.

Pitbull, I thought you could really help me with my sociolinguistic project on impoliteness that I am currently working on. You could be my case study! :) Then when I present my research later on, I will definitely give you credit LOL

Joking aside, your ability to insult so many good people here in such a short period of time is truly astonishing.

LOL! He's a master at it.

Actually, the embassies and consular posts have not give the return rate back to DOS yet. Interviews for DV14 just started in October and the December cut off numbers are allocated in early October, so the success rate of interviews still unknown at this point. December cut off usually slow and that could be the Holiday session for US. Normally, Oct to Dec cut-off will take about 10-15% of the overall regional selectees. So, for high number selectees, Jan to Mar is where the actual progress happen and you can use this period of time to gauge whether your # will be current. Until then, be patient and hope for the best.

That is a great point... and I'll bet you are right.

EU, funnily enough, is way high than that mark. At 12500 it is probably around 25 to 30% of where it will get to in the end. Perhaps EU will go current ahead of other regions. If this was a horse race we would still be somewhere in the first lap of a four lap race and EU would be in the lead...

Anything could happen in the next 3 laps though - too early to count your winnings...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great point... and I'll bet you are right.

EU, funnily enough, is way high than that mark. At 12500 it is probably around 25 to 30% of where it will get to in the end. Perhaps EU will go current ahead of other regions. If this was a horse race we would still be somewhere in the first lap of a four lap race and EU would be in the lead...

Anything could happen in the next 3 laps though - too early to count your winnings...

EU definitely leading right from the beginning and I believe it will be leader until the end because the special cut off for EU has not started yet. Once it get started, it will go even faster pace then last 2 laps. What is important is whether all regions will reach to the finish line by Sept 2014. And I hope all selectees will finish the race eventually.

EU definitely leading right from the beginning and I believe it will be leader until the end because the special cut off for EU has not started yet. Once it get started, it will go even faster pace then last 2 laps. What is important is whether all regions will reach to the finish line by Sept 2014. And I hope all selectees will finish the race eventually.

Sadly I doubt that very much. DV2012 is notorious for the glitches, I think DV2014 will be notorious for the disappointments. I think SusieQQQ nailed it in an earlier comment that the last few lotteries have been undersubscribed because the interest to moving to a country in political and economic crisis was less. However, as the H1 "lottery" proved this year, interest to move to the US is back on high heat and unfortunately USCIS have not caught up with that reality so released MORE selectees at a time when MORE OF the selectees will probably apply.

I hope I am proven wrong about this...

Sadly I doubt that very much. DV2012 is notorious for the glitches, I think DV2014 will be notorious for the disappointments. I think SusieQQQ nailed it in an earlier comment that the last few lotteries have been undersubscribed because the interest to moving to a country in political and economic crisis was less. However, as the H1 "lottery" proved this year, interest to move to the US is back on high heat and unfortunately USCIS have not caught up with that reality so released MORE selectees at a time when MORE OF the selectees will probably apply.

I hope I am proven wrong about this...

I don't think USCIS is in the game of predicting sentiment; I suspect it is as simple as "we've been under target for X years, let's make sure it doesn't happen this year again'.

I don't think USCIS is in the game of predicting sentiment; I suspect it is as simple as "we've been under target for X years, let's make sure it doesn't happen this year again'.

Yeah agreed - although if you ignore 2012 they have been getting close anyway - 2003 to 2012 (including AoS) look like this
2003 - 50,810
2004 - 48,044
2005 - 48,151
2006 - 46,145
2007 - 40,076
2008 - 46,633
2009 - 48,036
2010 - 51,312
2011 - 51,118
2012 - 34,463

So 35% more selectees seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut...

I recall reading a post on here, some time ago, where an interviewee at the Sydney consulate was told in passing by an officer there that they had "visa's left over" in Sydney that were not used up. I don't know what year it was but it would certainly put some reasoning behind a push to make sure their quotas are taken up this time. I also agree with Britsimon - now that there is further scrutiny on the awarding of H1b visas especially, the DV lottery is even more appealing, and of course there are the changes to how folks can sponsor their siblings to enter the US etc. Why wouldn't more people apply? There are many people watching the economy of the US improving, and on that, the opinions of those that don't like the way the government/monopoly of business is run here (Australia) are also finding the US a tad more appealing. I think they may be underestimating the increasing numbers applying. One would think they would raise the number of visas each year as a matter of course. :( So now we will no doubt have people who have been selected for further processing, nervous of not getting to interview, applying AGAIN (and naturally so), some of whom may be selected twice. I know that has happened this past year already.

Overhanging all of us, those with high numbers or NO numbers, is the thought that the whole thing will go off the radar completely in the coming year or so :(

As I just said to hubby, I can't imagine applying for a number of years and then getting a high number - I think I would be beside myself. I think I can understand where everyone is coming from.

Q

Last edited by a moderator: